• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's impossible for From to make a more moody, gloomy setting than Bloodborne

Marty-McFly

Banned
(Other than Bloodborne 2)

From Hell style victorian horror.

The graphics might be surpassed but not the sense of horror and atmosphere. Elden Ring does not have even close to the same level of visual appeal.

bloodborne_02.jpg

Kokoloko85

Yeah I don’t see them or anyone else really making a more cool gloomy atmosphere than what From did with Bloodborne.
It was a dream mixture. Victorian + Brotherhood of the Wolf + Gothic + Lovecraft. Miyazaki and his team and geniuses.

But I love all of From’s Soul like games and Sekiro etc

Demon Souls has really gloomy settings too, Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement are pretty good.

Elden ring will be amazing and it will be totally different and thats awesome

Last edited:

killatopak

I think SH is more moody and gloomy but it is a lot smaller than BB for sure.

edit: oh misread and didn‘t notice From only. Yeah I agree BB is dark and moody.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Definitely not impossible, it's just not the theme the games since then have gone for

I'd love a Bloodborne 2, but it deserves to be done right, not just because a sequel was wanted, but because Miyazaki had enough ideas.

Bloodborne has one of the best atmospheres of any game I've played. The gothic horror type vibe was so uneasy, but such a joy to play through.

I loved everything about that game.

Mozzarella

Never underestimate from software.

If they did once they can do it twice.

Seriously? "Managed by Sony?" What do you think Sony did other than fund it exactly?
I dont know either, Sekiro looks better and plays better, I still prefer Bloodborne just because of the setting and the weapon variety, but Sekiro in terms of production values was better and more polished as a game.
Sekiro is really underrated by Fromsoft fans, not as a whole. They always talk about Dark Souls or Bloodborne and Sekiro gets shoved aside, its a really well made game. I was expecting it to be good and i got surprised, its more than good, its actually one of the best action games ever made.

Lognor

Banned
I dont know either, Sekiro looks better and plays better, I still prefer Bloodborne just because of the setting and the weapon variety, but Sekiro in terms of production values was better and more polished as a game.
Sekiro is really underrated by Fromsoft fans, not as a whole. They always talk about Dark Souls or Bloodborne and Sekiro gets shoved aside, its a really well made game. I was expecting it to be good and i got surprised, its more than good, its actually one of the best action games ever made.
I really want to play it but it hasn't been put on game pass or given away free yet. I'm playing through nioh now (given away free from epic) and it's a nice dark souls rip off, but it doesn't really scratch that itch. I'll just have to continue to wait on sekiro

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It is an incredible achievement and one of the most memorable crafted worlds i experienced.

Having said that i think they can surpass that. Why shouldn't they? With each game they gain more knowledge and experience in crafting these worlds. It is just a matter of time. Games like Bloodborne, in terms of its mood and atmosphere, aren't your everyday creation so it takes time for such special games to be created. Or better said the right time with the right people and a special spark. They did it once, they will do it again!

Elden Ring does not have even close to the same level of visual appeal.
And yet you have seen just a really small part of an incredible big game but didn't hesitate for a premature judgement. Let's wait and see, shall we?!

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Bloodborne is definitely the gloomiest/dreary setting it can get for FROM. I think the Old Hunters DLC and Fishing Hamlet area pushed that as far as they could take it. They don't have to go further anyway.
People are missing out if they quit early on Sekiro. Push through and it's a truly rewarding experience with an amazing journey with just as many secrets and depth even if it's not an RPG.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

It doesn't need a remake. Just make the frame rate better and scrap the chromatic aberation
Don't forget frame packing and loading times, the option to teleport between lamps and a nice photo mode. There is a lot they could do even with just a remaster.

Con-Z-epT

I'd love them go dark sci-fi with cyborgs and AI themes, that would be my dream mixture.
A wish of mine too and so obvious that it must be Froms love for medieval and the same that this hasn't happened yet.
Imagine what kind of grotesques and messed up creations they could come up with. Some nice H.P. space horror.

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
A wish of mine too and so obvious that it must be Froms love for medieval and the same that this hasn't happened yet.
Imagine what kind of grotesques and messed up creations they could come up with. Some nice J.P. space horror.

Hell yeah, it's also the only way I imagine possible making all the key mechanics fully diegetic.
There were rumors while back there might be some kind of collab going on in this direction between From and Microsoft, anyway if they keep the tradition we should hear something about their next project around E3 next year.

Con-Z-epT

Hell yeah, it's also the only way I imagine possible making all the key mechanics fully diegetic.
There were rumors while back there might be some kind of collab going on in this direction between From and Microsoft, anyway if they keep the tradition we should hear something about their next project around E3 next year.
I think this is not unlikely. If Microsoft or not i'm sure we will see something futuristic or at least a bit more modern from them in the future. As much as i'm excited for Elden Ring i'm also very curious what will come next.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Imagine what kind of grotesques and messed up creations they could come up with. Some nice H.P. space horror.

Are you thinking some sort of Event Horizon aesthetic, combined with BB style gameplay? Because, fuck yes… in two mile high writing.

Hell, that could still be Bloodborne 2…

Con-Z-epT

Are you thinking some sort of Event Horizon aesthetic, combined with BB style gameplay? Because, fuck yes… in two mile high writing.

Hell, that could still be Bloodborne 2…
More like a darker and sinister FromSoftware version of Dead Space to be honest. Grittier and more blood. A true horror experience.

Edit: Sorry i read Horizon Zero Dawn. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Yes, you are completely right!

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I absolutely loathed Demon's Souls and Nioh, will I enjoy Bloodbourne or not? Reasons I don't like the first too is difficulty and controls.

Tschumi

Hm.

More moody gloomy...

I guess they could make a room of FPS enthusiasts that has a bunch of FPS games on PCs and consoles that don't have cheat engines

Handy Fake

Why would they remaster a game that released just 5 years ago and still looks good. Just release a PS5 version at 4k60fps.
Seeing how they did with Demon Souls etc. I'd be fascinated to see a ground up remake that ironed out all of the technical issues. Would also be curious to see whether they changed anything too. One of the main gripes folk had with the DS remake was sticking rigidly to the original's AI and code etc. Would be interesting.

Top Bottom