• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been five years since the real big controller change and it's not even standard yet. Why?

sainraja

Developers can’t just give them new actions if they’re not new buttons recognised by the OS, which they wouldn’t be. They are and would just be remappable buttons.
Do you really think if one or both of the manufacturers were to add paddles/buttons to the back, they wouldn't be designed just to work as additional button options which default to the same action as some of the front facing ones but could be changed (if a developer so chose.) Why would they restrict it? (I guess you can easily ask, why wouldn't they?).

Rivet

Not really. It's a nice feature but it doesn't actively improve your ability to control your character, doesn't offer any tactical benefits, etc.

It adds a lot more than 2 new buttons. It adds perception of what you touch, it adds immersion in the world you're in. Feeling the rain on you, the sand you're walking in.

Looks a lot more important to me than 2 new buttons when you already have 20 or more.

Umbral

I thought for sure you were going with gyro aiming.

Back paddles/buttons are great. I have no idea why the two big companies aren’t moving on both of those features.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Do you really think if one or both of the manufacturers were to add paddles/buttons to the back, they wouldn't be designed just to work as additional button options which default to the same action as some of the front facing ones but could be changed (if a developer so chose.) Why would they restrict it? (I guess you can easily ask, why wouldn't they?).
Hypotheticals are fun aren't they? haha

I think they would stick to having them as just remappable buttons, since that is the point of them. It's not to add more buttons.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It adds a lot more than 2 new buttons. It adds perception of what you touch, it adds immersion in the world you're in. Feeling the rain on you, the sand you're walking in.

Looks a lot more important to me than 2 new buttons when you already have 20 or more.
lol come on, "feeling the rain on you"? Have you ever been outside in the rain? It certainly doesn't feel like a bit of feedback in your hands.

Looking at your avatar it's pretty clear why you're all in on the DS5's haptics and downplaying the elite controllers paddles though.

Allforce

I feel like people who are dismissive of paddles just don't get how dramatically it impacts gameplay for a ton of games. You're literally getting a competitive advantage.in any FPS when you can jump, slide, reload, sprint all without ever removing your thumbs from the sticks.

I'm legit surprised it isn't brought up more as a complaint against a level playing field. People will go to hell and back arguing KBM vs Controller but if you're playing strictly against controller players paddles are a huge advantage and nobody really bats an eye at it.

Rumble is neat but it's not really comparable. It's passive tech and doesn't give an advantage or disadvantage in any sense in competitive games. For single player games it's just another tool to immerse a player and not many games even get that part right nowadays.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I feel like people who are dismissive of paddles just don't get how dramatically it impacts gameplay for a ton of games. You're literally getting a competitive advantage.in any FPS when you can jump, slide, reload, sprint all without ever removing your thumbs from the sticks.

I'm legit surprised it isn't brought up more as a complaint against a level playing field. People will go to hell and back arguing KBM vs Controller but if you're playing strictly against controller players paddles are a huge advantage and nobody really bats an eye at it.

Rumble is neat but it's not really comparable. It's passive tech and doesn't give an advantage or disadvantage in any sense in competitive games. For single player games it's just another tool to immerse a player and not many games even get that part right nowadays.
It's because the consoles the the majority of this forum own don't have a controller with paddles, simple as that.

I legit do feel that I have a competitive advantage playing Halo/Gears/Titanfall/PUBG thanks to the paddles on my controller.

Top Bottom