• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been five years since the real big controller change and it's not even standard yet. Why?

cormack12

Gold Member
We're talking about back paddles. They have form. They have function and they are really fucking useful. Why aren't they standard?

Instead we get third party (and first party) premium options at ridiculous prices.

l_10195862_004.jpg

4pspro-back-emr-large.png

Impotaku

My only experience of having one of these so far was when sony released that official attachment for the PS4 dualshock, i pretty much use it all the time when i play as i hate the bullshit of clicking in stick for L3&R3 it's made playing a lot more friendly to my hands as some games get you clicking those damn sticks all the time and it's havoc for my thumbs. It's probably extended the lifespan of my DS4 quite a bit seeing as evidence nowadays it pointing to that been the cause of stick drift

Rivet

The real big controller change is 1 year old, not five. It's haptics on Dualsense PS5 controller. That's the real revolution, not back buttons.

And it will probably become standard since Phil Spencer already said they'd like to copy it for Xbox, as they should.

It's hard to play anything without haptics after trying them.

Banned
The real big controller change is 1 year old, not five. It's haptics on Dualsense PS5 controller. That's the real revolution, not back buttons.

And it will probably become standard since Phil Spencer already said they'd like to copy it for Xbox, as they should.

in most games the trigger effects suck, let's be honest, even in Ratchet they are not that well made imo... and the rumble is just slightly stronger HD rumble that the Switch has.

cormack12

Gold Member

I turn them off. They are terrible. They offer no bonus to usability or function.

Haptics are also 5/6 years old on the Steam Controller

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wouldn't want paddles to be standard because I hate them but I think there should be afford versions of controllers with them so that people can choose what is best for them.

sainraja

We're talking about back paddles. They have form. They have function and they are really fucking useful. Why aren't they standard?

Instead we get third party (and first party) premium options at ridiculous prices.

l_10195862_004.jpg

Well, the paddles basically map to the same thing some of the front facing buttons are assigned. If they make that standard, developers will start using the front facing buttons for something else. Not sure if we actually want that. What's the real advantage of having paddles? I have an Elite 2 controller and I have to remember to use the paddles and when I finally got use to having them, it didn't add to the experience, meaning improved it that much. I had some accidental clicks which I didn't like.

So many accidental Souls jumps....
Game studios shouldn't assign the jump mechanic to L3/R3. That's not an input issue, it's a interaction design issue.

Last edited:

sainraja

I turn them off. They are terrible. They offer no bonus to usability or function.
Some people turn off vibration. 🤷‍♂️

If something is new, people are usually slow to adopt. Here you are asking for a change while at the same time dismissing the other change that was introduced – to dimiss it so casually right now is short-sighted IMO.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

l_10195862_004.jpg

Your OP has the answer, in a way. SCUF are patent hogging pricks who sued Valve for the Steam Controller's grip buttons. If you want to know why there isn't more going on, I'd wager that they have something to do with it.

I love the extra buttons, and I hope we do see more going forward.

I've used the Xbox Elite v1, and I didn't like the way it did paddles.
I've used the Steam Controller, and the grips are too stiff.
I think the Steam Deck is onto something by having buttons and not paddles.

GloveSlap

Yeah, i can't play without back buttons on most games anymore. Xbox especially should have had them considering they didn't add anything else new and their experience with paddles.

I switched to PowerA controllers for back buttons after my gen 1 elite died (fixed it multiple times) though. The $150+ ones are way too expensive for how unreliable they are.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't want paddles. I want to hold my controller easily and don't want to many buttons. Pc have a lot of buttons and devs just puke 50 functions on keyboard while it all can be neatly done with a controller

We got amazing dualsense but the internal battery is terrible and anti consumer

Banned
Jump is L3. Even with the accidental jumps it works better for me then B.
(yeah I misspoke, I meant to say L3)

I hated the L3 jump in DS3, instantly switched it back to the classic Circle (I played it on PS4 mainly)
you can't really do accurate movement + press L3 at the same time, that kills precision. I tried doing the tree skip in DS3 at the firelink shrine with the L3 jump and it's just not doable and just feels terrible. I can't imagine using that

Griffon

I don't like back paddles, your hand gripping it like that for hours on will feel like shit very fast.

Last edited:
L3 and R3 should die and be replaced by back buttons, no excuses.
I was kind of annoyed by the whole paddle thing, but you are a genius and you should me to the idea! L3 and R3 must be killed with fire!!!

Edit: At least hit them with paddles until they die.

Last edited:

Larxia

I don't even know what they do. On that picture you posted it looks like they just are X and O again?
And even if it's programmable, if the games weren't made for them, I don't really understand what more they can offer, but I'm curious to hear.

RafterXL

Ridiculous. Paddles change what you are able to do in games. They literally enable you to do things you can't on a standard controller. Haptics are nice but they don't hold a candle to better control in a controller.

elliot5

Because SCUF has patents for it. Microsoft pays royalties to use them in the Elite.

I also imagine they don't want to add additional buttons to increase the complexity of the controller by adding N+2 or N+4 buttons to the existing layout.

HTK

Banned
They really should, because SCUF with its what I feel like 60% failure rate is not acceptable.

HTK

Banned
Got the DS4 addon. Decades of muscle memory simply made it unwieldy, shelved it.
I have decades of muscle memory and it wasn't an issue. You just have to play a game that forces you to use it and you'll get used to it.

Shmunter

I have decades of muscle memory and it wasn't an issue. You just have to play a game that forces you to use it and you'll get used to it.
Yeah, probably should haves started with something slower than COD multiplayer, lol

My dreams of 360 noscope wall bangers were shattered.

Trimesh

Banned
Because SCUF has patents for it. Microsoft pays royalties to use them in the Elite.

I also imagine they don't want to add additional buttons to increase the complexity of the controller by adding N+2 or N+4 buttons to the existing layout.

The US patent system is fucked beyond belief - it's possible to get a patent on pretty much anything, no matter how obvious. I run into this all the time when I am trying to implement something and discover that the idea that literally popped into my head as the obvious solution within a few minutes of thinking about it is patented. So you're forced to waste time implementing stupid workarounds rather than developing something that might actually "advance the state of the art".

HTK

Banned
Honestly I love the DS4 Back Button Attachments, Sony should release that for the DS5, people that want it can get it for fairly cheap compared to competition that does the same thing but for $200.

Warablo

The buttons are useful but they need to find a more comfortable option and length of paddles/location. It has a big comfort curve to break when you first get it. I think the paddles need to be shorter.

MastAndo

I bought an attachment for my Xbox controller and proceeded to use it as if the back paddles weren't even there because my brain is calcified and no new information can enter. Perhaps the assumption is that everyone is as dumb as me.

Last edited:

Allforce

I basically use my Dual Shock 4 with the back button attachment for every game on PS5 for this reason. It's completely game changing for shooters and the best 20 dollar accessory I've ever bought.

A close second is those Kontrol Freek stick extensions I always wrote off as silly for years, I can't go back after using them.

kingfey

Banned

While haptic feedback is great, it doesnt bring anything to the gameplay, like back pedal. This is a game changing for racing games.

RowdyReverb

L3 and R3 should die and be replaced by back buttons, no excuses.
It's probably extended the lifespan of my DS4 quite a bit seeing as evidence nowadays it pointing to that been the cause of stick drift
Was going to say the same thing. It would probably have the side effect of reducing stick drift. So many people would be upset though if they couldn’t L3 to sprint

Top Bottom