• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Takes Two is a Masterpiece,

RPS37

cf7KSOQ.png

I’ve recently been replaying (continuing, I’ve started and never finished it with three or four different people now) it Takes Two and God Damn. This game is doper than i remember. Like maybe it should’ve gotten GOTY 2021.
Tonight I finally got the furthest I’ve ever gotten and I just seriously love: the graphics, the acting, the co op mechanics, the difficulty level (yes, this totally matters to me, I’m almost 40.)

I would even argue that the game is more cinematic than I remember. Granted, some of the cool, cinematic scenes feel like Disneyland rides but they’re still pretty thrilling anyway.

Super excited to finally finish it and I can’t wait to see what crazy thing Josef Fares comes out with next.

Roberts

It took me two years to actually play it. All my co-op friends played it with their wives and girlfriends and my wife had just about 0 interest in playing it so I waited for my daughter to grow old enough to be able to play it. It is not a very challenging game and maybe that is for the best as it is clearly meant to be a game to introduce your loved ones to gaming. Basically a gateway drug and a love letter to gaming as such. We had tons of fun and I only had to play with two controllers at the same time maybe three times.

Waiting for a sale on a second controller soon and might try some coop with my sis on this one.

I still remember the discourse about one particular scene that is very much some dark humor people were bristling at that still cracks me up when I watch it.

mitch1971

Waiting for a sale on a second controller soon and might try some coop with my sis on this one.

I still remember the discourse about one particular scene that is very much some dark humor people were bristling at that still cracks me up when I watch it.
Is it the elephant scene?

calistan

Played this with my daughter a while back but we got stuck on a scene with bees and shooting. She still hasn't got her head around dual analogue controls, so as soon as the game required any complex coordination in that regard, that was the end of it.

Shame, because I was enjoying it until then. It would have been cool if they'd added some sort of Nintendo-style idiot mode for the second player, to skip past stuff like that or offer a bit of assistance.

There are plenty of games that might appeal to non-gamers if it wasn't for the controls. The Witness, for example - I think anyone would enjoy the puzzles, but only gamers take that FPS control for granted.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This game is doper than i remember. Like maybe it should’ve gotten GOTY 2021.
But it did. At the VGAs and overall as well.

Award Totals

• It Takes Two - 86
    • Media Outlets: 66 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Resident Evil Village - 60
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 31
  • Forza Horizon 5 - 54
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Deathloop - 40
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Metroid Dread - 36
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 7
  • Halo Infinite - 26
    • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Returnal - 22
    • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Psychonauts 2 - 19
    • Media Outlets: 18 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 19

avin

The downside of using this to introduce someone to gaming is it sets an impossible standard. My wife and I had an absolutely amazing time getting through this. And now, she will occasionally play a chapter of this again with me, but nothing else is good enough.

avin

Fbh

Have been playing this with a friend and yeah it's a lot of fun. Way better than A Way Out (except maybe for the plot).
The way they keep mixing up the gameplay and introducing new ideas is great, and the co-op only focus allows for some awesome sequences that you just can't replicate in games which offer co-op but also work as a solo experience.

Props to EA too for the whole "friend pass" system

RPS37

But it did. At the VGAs and overall as well.

Award Totals

• It Takes Two- 86
    • Media Outlets: 66 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Resident Evil Village- 60
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 31
  • Forza Horizon 5- 54
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Deathloop - 40
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Metroid Dread - 36
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 7
  • Halo Infinite - 26
    • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Returnal - 22
    • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Psychonauts 2 - 19
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 19
Beat The Champions Okay I Guess GIF by RTL

pachura

Both characters were jerks and the elephant scene was too dark and completely out of place... still, this is the best modern coop game there is. So yes, a masterpiece indeed.

Last edited:
It's fun to play in couch co-op for sure. It drags on a bit too long and the main characters are pretty cringe and annoying but sure, solid 8/10.

Handel

Best coop game of all time, and a well deserved overall GOTY 2021. Every level introduces a new mechanic for each player to use, and constantly surprises in other ways. The squirrel fight is one of the funniest things in any game.

Josef Fares is one of the best devs in the industry, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

mrmustard

Banned
The game was nice, but we aborted it at some point while we played the shit out of Broforce. Broforce is underrated.

bender

What time is it?
It's mechanically sound and has a few standout moments (squirrel-Street Fighting on top of a bi-plane) and while it offers a ton of variety, each section felt like it dragged on too long. I probably would have thought more highly of it if it were half as long.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's fairly decent. A solid 8 I think. I have the last section to finish up. Just after midway into the game, the good work is kinda undone as it throws more and more sections at you that are battles with the camera.

It is also a bit longer than I thought. Not saying that's a good or bad thing but like Madness Returns would probably have been better with some cut areas.

Top Bottom