• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s time for controllers to be universal/cross-platform

Banned
that will not happen.

BUT WHAT I DON'T GET is why the fuck third party controllers don't support all consoles...

there is no legal barrier for them to do that, which we know because there are multiple adapters that will do that.

so why on earth isn't every single 8bitdo controller compatible with Xbox, Switch and PC? I kinda get why not with Playstation given the missing touch pad, but even that could be a trivial fix by simply letting you bind the select button to different touchpad inputs.

so really, why can't I take a USB cable, and plug my SM30Pro+ into my Xbox? why do I need a specific Xbox branded 8bitdo to do that?

you could argue that they want to sell more controllers and that way you have to buy one for each system. but for many other manufacturers that only sell a single controller model, that can't be the reason why they aren't doing this right?

so wtf is going on here? why don't these controllers support every console, but getting a cheap USB adapter will let me use them on every console?

Last edited:

Puscifer

BUT WHAT I DON'T GET is why the fuck third party controllers don't support all consoles...

there is no legal barrier for them to do that, which we know because there are multiple adapters that will do that.

so why on earth isn't every single 8bitdo controller compatible with Xbox, Switch and PC? I kinda get why not with Playstation given the missing touch pad, but even that could be a trivial fix by simply letting you bind the select button to different touchpad inputs.

so really, why can't I take a USB cable, and plug my SM30Pro+ into my Xbox? why do I need a specific Xbox branded 8bitdo to do that?

you could argue that they want to sell more controllers and that way you have to buy one for each system. but for many other manufacturers that only sell a single controller model, that can't be the reason why they aren't doing this right?

so wtf is going on here? why don't these controllers support every console, but getting a cheap USB adapter will let me use them on every console?
Look at the laugh reacts in this thread, people need to feel like their purchase is worth something from companies that wouldn't care if they got cancer tomorrow.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I figured there are licensing fees and then you have to wire the controller to support them both which adds a few cents on very thin profit margins

Banned
I figured there are licensing fees and then you have to wire the controller to support them both which adds a few cents on very thin profit margins

I don't think that would be good reasons tho.

just look at this absolute waste of money and potential here:
61ro5mxRAzL._SL1500_.jpg

this controller has the most precise analog sticks on the market basically.
but its designed only for Switch and PC... like, wtf?

they don't offer an Xbox or Playstation variant either.

imagine if this single controller would work on Xbox One, Xbox SX, PS4, PS5, Switch, and PC...
it would fly off the shelves.

the most hilarious thing about this is that the Switch's controller driver limits the polling rate and precision of stick inputs to such an extreme degree that Hall Effect sticks basically lose half of their benefits simply by being used on Switch!
even really good potentiometer sticks have way higher precision than what is possible on Switch, let alone hall effect sticks.

Puscifer

I don't think that would be good reasons tho.

just look at this absolute waste of money and potential here:
61ro5mxRAzL._SL1500_.jpg

this controller has the most precise analog sticks on the market basically.
but its designed only for Switch and PC... like, wtf?

they don't offer an Xbox or Playstation variant either.

imagine if this single controller would work on Xbox One, Xbox SX, PS4, PS5, Switch, and PC...
it would fly off the shelves.

the most hilarious thing about this is that the Switch's controller driver limits the polling rate and precision of stick inputs to such an extreme degree that Hall Effect sticks basically lose half of their benefits simply by being used on Switch!
even really good potentiometer sticks have way higher precision than what is possible on Switch, let alone hall effect sticks.
Yoooo! Thanks for letting me know about this, I went ahead and ordered one. I love hall effect analog sticks and this fits the bill in so many ways :)

BlackTron

I play Returnal on PC with an Xbox Controller, it's not that serious. Play with what you want, this whole "it's s0 uN1QuE t0 "mY" coRpOrAtE PlaStec" shit is cringe.
Except that Xbox is the controller with the most ubiquitous native support in PC games, and also the one with the least features and developments. Why should the big 3 or any third party dev worry about compatibility of competitors products that don't even have feature parity? What a nightmare to get absolutely nothing out of it.

It's one thing on PC where it's implied that everything is meant to be broken and/or reverse engineered to make work how you want. It's another on console where a good user experience is assured and they have to make sure everything works. That's why we have officially licenced controllers that match a console instead of consoles advertising to be compatible with a million controllers that all need to be supported correctly.

BlackTron

It's almost like a market fixing thing, like no one will release the perfect controller if no one else dares to. So we all keep needing a pile of controllers.

I agree I'd buy that controller with hall effect sensors in a second if it supported more platforms. I'd use it on everything, but most direly need it for Playstation which it doesn't support.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Console warriors have their beliefs and asking to use a ps5 dualsense on a Nintendo or Xbox makes them confused.

Neofire

As much as I love all the great features the Dualsense has, I wish Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox allowed connecting each other’s controller to their consoles.

For third party games should be even required. I’d understand that a first party game only supports their corresponding controller, but for every other game, it would be very cool if we could just connect whatever controller we like the most.

I believe they PC is already like that. It supports different controllers, as well as mobile. I think the games even recognize which controller it is and changes the UI for that controller.

Feature-wise, you’d get the features corresponding to each controller, just like when you play it on each console.

I would also help for multiplayer games, if you have one controller for each console, you at least would have two or three to play with friends.
Ummmm no lol that would stifle innovation.

Puscifer

Except that Xbox is the controller with the most ubiquitous native support in PC games, and also the one with the least features and developments. Why should the big 3 or any third party dev worry about compatibility of competitors products that don't even have feature parity? What a nightmare to get absolutely nothing out of it.

It's one thing on PC where it's implied that everything is meant to be broken and/or reverse engineered to make work how you want. It's another on console where a good user experience is assured and they have to make sure everything works. That's why we have officially licenced controllers that match a console instead of consoles advertising to be compatible with a million controllers that all need to be supported correctly.
It's literally an api lol, even Wooting a small company has one for dual input and pressurized keys on their keyboards developers use

All that would be required is a little bit of support it's not a huge ordeal. Plus dual sense features work on PC, including those stupid haptic triggers people like so much (that I personally disable) and require the painstaking high IQ action of plugging it in.

There's also devices you can buy on consoles that switch inputs from one console controller to the next and it works perfectly fine so it's not like there isn't a market for it! Why are you defending such asinine practices? So your favorite company can make more money because that's exactly what it comes down too and thats some weirdo shit, lmfao.

And remember, Madcatz was officially licensed but those were all dogshit so to act like label actually means anything is a joke. Hell I'd argue just about any non official controller since the PS360 era wasn't worth buying, even official controllers are ticking time bombs of trash when you think about it

Haptic springs that weaken over time that you can't replace without destroying the controller.

Stick drift on every console controller eventually, it's not even up for debate

Unrepairable and expensive

Sticking pieces of foam under an analog stick in 80 dollar joycons vs engineering practical solutions or switching to hall effect

Is this what you're defending? Seriously?

Meanwhile, you have hall effect technology on my Wooting60he and even 3rd party controllers that are cheaper and more solidly built but don't work on every platform for some dumb reason.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No. Console specific accessories should remain locked away from other consoles, to preserve the console experience intended by each hardware maker.

Last edited:
Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme is kind of right though. I've never whined about any controller, even the Wiimote, Steam controller, and Kinect. You take a minute to adapt and move on. The whiniest I've ever seen people be about this is in regards to right stick placement.

The only justified whining I've seen is about not having enough options for good quality universal controllers, because if there were the whining would stop.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme is kind of right though. I've never whined about any controller, even the Wiimote, Steam controller, and Kinect. You take a minute to adapt and move on. The whiniest I've ever seen people be about this is in regards to right stick placement.

The only justified whining I've seen is about not having enough options for good quality universal controllers, because if there were the whining would stop.
Sure, but calling yourself a true gamer because of some quality you just made up to define true gamers is as cringe as it gets.

ywezQGF.jpg

Tams

Not gonna happen and you can get adapters fairly cheaply if you want to use unsupported controllers.

What a none issue.

BlackTron

It's literally an api lol, even Wooting a small company has one for dual input and pressurized keys on their keyboards developers use

All that would be required is a little bit of support it's not a huge ordeal. Plus dual sense features work on PC, including those stupid haptic triggers people like so much (that I personally disable) and require the painstaking high IQ action of plugging it in.

etc etc

They want the controllers to be compatible with the console. Not for the console to be compatible with the controllers. It places the onus on the controller to match the console's API. Instead of a console maker being concerned about compatibility with every controller.

Why have different consoles at all? Or even unique designs or names of the console? Why not just mandate that all games work on all systems while we are at it? Why should a game target a console spec when one console could just have a performance profile for every software? Oh wait, that's a PC, where all the controllers work.

Sure, but calling yourself a true gamer because of some quality you just made up to define true gamers is as cringe as it gets.
It's one of those moments we all have, where the overall message was meaningful, but the way it's worded was not that good.

Puscifer

They want the controllers to be compatible with the console. Not for the console to be compatible with the controllers. It places the onus on the controller to match the console's API. Instead of a console maker being concerned about compatibility with every controller.

Why have different consoles at all? Or even unique designs or names of the console? Why not just mandate that all games work on all systems while we are at it? Why should a game target a console spec when one console could just have a performance profile for every software? Oh wait, that's a PC, where all the controllers work.
So if we have third party controllers that can do this why block them? It makes no sense to hinder input.

Neofire

Ultimately, what you are saying is make consoles more like PCs.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Exactly and I definitely don't want console makers doing that. At least Sony is trying to bring something different to the table with haptic feedback and the track pad on their controller.

BlackTron

So if we have third party controllers that can do this why block them? It makes no sense to hinder input.

If you have a third party controller that works with every console, then they did exactly as I said. The onus is on the controller API to match the console, and those controllers are designed to work with everything.

This is in contrast to designing a console to work with every controller. Once this is an advertised feature, they have to make sure it actually works with all those controllers. What if they push a firmware update on Xbox controller that breaks it on Switch? Nintendo would never be put in that position of having to worry about it to begin with and the very idea of considering it for a second would make them laugh. It's not their job to make sure other controllers work on their stuff, and who would want to be responsible for it? It's a lot of work and liability just to hurt their own brand identity. That's a big cost just so we can use a competitors controller.

When you use a Brook adapter. It's a third party device and it's on them.

Puscifer

If you have a third party controller that works with every console, then they did exactly as I said. The onus is on the controller API to match the console, and those controllers are designed to work with everything.

This is in contrast to designing a console to work with every controller. Once this is an advertised feature, they have to make sure it actually works with all those controllers. What if they push a firmware update on Xbox controller that breaks it on Switch? Nintendo would never be put in that position of having to worry about it to begin with and the very idea of considering it for a second would make them laugh. It's not their job to make sure other controllers work on their stuff, and who would want to be responsible for it? It's a lot of work and liability just to hurt their own brand identity. That's a big cost just so we can use a competitors controller.

When you use a Brook adapter. It's a third party device and it's on them.
It can match the console, it's really not that hard. The problem is when you have controllers that get blocked for no reason. I think back to this thread and realize a lot of what's been said wasn't said correctly.

Last edited:
which is still the biggest joke, and somehow gets defended by some dick riding fanboys... which is wild
It infuriates me too. Those PS4 controllers are expensive & I expect them to last a very long time too, yet if you upgrade to your PS5, you're not allowed.

Typical tech capitalism of making you spend money all over again for practically the same privilege as before.

CamHostage

Sounds like a lot of work for very little reward to me.

They're actually adding in work in the current process: they are requiring controllers pass their certification. The reward in this case though is not little, as they are collecting a portion of sales for the official license. )

It would be possible for these controllers to conform to all controller standards for each console, but then if they had to carry each license (which the console manufacturers wouldn't allow anyway,) the cut would be catastrophic.

The "reward" has been a conflicting value, though; the controller market is still valuable, but the inventory system is difficult to control and the user interest is all over the place. As an industry, controller sales are technically rising, but the breadth of the market is slim; more expensive controllers are selling because the e-sports market is driving high-end devices, but there are no more Guitar Hero or Skylanders Portals anymore. There's hardly any racing wheels or lightguns. No more chainsaw or katana controllers. Nobody's doing anything "fun" anymore, in part because they'd take a bath if they didn't get the inventory allotment spot-on.

CamHostage

I mean, these are devices connecting over standardized Bluetooth and Universal Serial Bus signal paths here, mostly on common APIs with some additional driver settings, so let's not get too high up on this "why have any rules at all" train of thought...

Innovation isn't necessarily an issue. PS5 adding haptics to its controller is innovative (...eh, kind of, but still, they made it happen for their box and it's a distinctive version of that technology,) and they own that approach. Most of the general functions of the controller, however, are standardized to the degree that DualSense's basic buttons and sticks work over a USB connection or BT connection conforming to the generic controller APIs supported by PC and mobile devices. (This is separate from the DirectInput controller drivers offered through Steam for supported games.) All three of these companies are capable of creating something unique to their platform which identifies its product (even the symmetrical/asymmetrical button layout is iconic,) and that would still remain a draw on top of the generic functionality. Even if a DualSense could work with an Xbox, it'd be weird for say Gears of War to add in haptics features because that would only highlight the lack of such a feature in their own product line. (And it wouldn't be allowed anyway, since DualSense's PS5-specific features are not in the generic feature set and are exclusive to PS5... and the PC games that Sony allows it to work on.)

The frustrating thing is, a controller company using only general functions, none of the innovative "only on PlayStation" features, still couldn't sell a controller made to work with both PlayStation and also non-PlayStation devices.

• An arcade stick has button inputs which haven't changed since PS4 (it's also ironically a Microsoft API) and that could have been standardized for two generations now, but if Hori wants to put out an arcade stick, they have to put out one for PlayStation (and PC) and different one for Xbox (and PC) and another one for Switch (...and PC.)
  • Dance Pads or Guitar controllers are just buttons in a different shape, but if Konami wanted to bring these back, all the hardware would have to be per-platform. (True, so would the software, but then they're paying the license twice, or however that works out, when nothing about the hardware is any different per device except the tiny bit of code exchange for how it gets recognized by the console as an officially licensed product.... oh, and again, they'd also)
  • Racing wheels are complex and expensive and demanding devices which only sell to niche audiences, but if Logitech sees enough of an audience to put one out, they'd better check that there's enough audience for 3 versions (...although they all would work exactly the same on PC, so just choose whether you want a blue, green, or red racing wheel theme for your PC.)

The only real technical problem (besides "how does the money work out?") with generic controller support is that the buttons never match. PlayStation has it's weird/cool triangles and shapes and stuff, and then Xbox and Nintendo use the same ABXY labeling, but the buttons are kookily swapped; one's AB, the other is BA! That's kind of the main impediment for any of this working out simply. That, and the money situation...

Gold Member
They're actually adding in work in the current process: they are requiring controllers pass their certification. The reward in this case though is not little, as they are collecting a portion of sales for the official license.
It would depend upon how this was setup. If MS, Sony and Nintendo all did this (as suggested in the OP) then they would all be paying each other fees. So they would either need to strike a “no licence” deal, or pay each others licensing fees. Which would, as you say, be prohibitively expensive and it could be why a 3rd party hasn’t done this (might also not be allowed through platform holder contracts?)

If any of those companies thought this would lead to a shiny pot of gold - they would have done it by now lol.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

They can't even make games cross save. I mean shit, they can't even make the Sony controller another standard option for all PC games let alone other controllers and platforms.

CamHostage

It would depend upon how this was setup. If MS, Sony and Nintendo all did this (as suggested in the OP) then they would all be paying each other fees. So they would either need to strike a “no licence” deal, or pay each others licensing fees. Which would, as you say, be prohibitively expensive and it could be why a 3rd party hasn’t done this (might also not be allowed through platform holder contracts?)

If any of those companies thought this would lead to a shiny pot of gold - they would have done it by now lol.

The money dispersion is an issue. (...Except of course on PC, where there's no money paid outside of the standard USB / BT integration. Which makes this infuriating to discuss, because it both makes financial sense and doesn't make practical sense.)

I was thinking maybe it'd work out if the console manufacturers instead charged a flat fee (or a by-volume fee) for API integration of their specific controller subset? If you're making a Dance Pad and you want to say on the box that it'll work with PlayStation games, you need a license and your device needs to pass certification, but per-unit costs wouldn't factor in anymore so long as it only uses the basic controller DirectInput functions. If however it uses the full DualSense protocol or does anything unique with the hardware communication, that would need to be an exclusive device and costs would be accounted differently. Otherwise, it's just a controller, and all controllers are kind of the same, this button does this and this analog stick does that and away you go. Hardware manufacturers could cut down on inventory, console manufacturers could have a steady income from this field (which might or might not be as lucrative depending on the pricing, but then again, predatory marketing tactics in this field have already hurt the range of products... and crafty gamers can already circumnavigate the certification locks anyway, or just ignore it outright if playing on PC or mobile,) and consumers would have a simple choice of just buying whichever controller looks best on the shelf that day.

...One can dream. Won't happen, though.

Gold Member
The money dispersion is an issue. (...Except of course on PC, where there's no money paid outside of the standard USB / BT integration. Which makes this infuriating to discuss, because it both makes financial sense and doesn't make practical sense.)

I was thinking maybe it'd work out if the console manufacturers instead charged a flat fee (or a by-volume fee) for API integration of their specific controller subset? If you're making a Dance Pad and you want to say on the box that it'll work with PlayStation games, you need a license and your device needs to pass certification, but per-unit costs wouldn't factor in anymore so long as it only uses the basic controller DirectInput functions. If however it uses the full DualSense protocol or does anything unique with the hardware communication, that would need to be an exclusive device and costs would be accounted differently. Otherwise, it's just a controller, and all controllers are kind of the same, this button does this and this analog stick does that and away you go. Hardware manufacturers could cut down on inventory, console manufacturers could have a steady income from this field (which might or might not be as lucrative depending on the pricing, but then again, predatory marketing tactics in this field have already hurt the range of products... and crafty gamers can already circumnavigate the certification locks anyway, or just ignore it outright if playing on PC or mobile,) and consumers would have a simple choice of just buying whichever controller looks best on the shelf that day.

...One can dream. Won't happen, though.
I kind of like that dream too, I’d have no problem with more choice 😄

CamHostage

I mean shit, they can't even make the Sony controller another standard option for all PC games let alone other controllers and platforms.

Sorry, can you specify where you've been not been able to use the Sony controller for a PC game?

Because Steam has added specific controller support for PS, and then even without that, DualSense should mount as a generic DirectInput control device. (You won't get all DualSense feature support such as haptics or gyro control, but those are specific PlayStation features which games wouldn't support anyway unless designed with those features.) Sony even lists PS controller support for PC, Mac, Android, and iOS as an official feature of DualSense.

kv5TUtWxWaZ8Gi3VKkw7Tj-1200-80.png

Either way, they're making it not work is the problem. It's not that they can't make it work; basic functionality already works. If you plug a DualSense into a PC, it'll work like a basic controller with a D-pad and some analog sticks and some buttons and triggers. Heck, if you plug a DualSense into a Switch with USB, I believe it actually mounts DualSense as a "Pro Controller Wired Communications" device. The root features already work (and the extended features are sold as exclusive to the console ecosystem anyway ...even though Sony and MS putting their games on PC has had them rethink what "exclusive" means.)

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
You’re right, my apologies I made a typo. People like to whine much more about the left stick. That actually makes it worse when you think about it.
I understand the discussion about the left stick, because up is much more comfortable. But on the other hand, you can always simply get a 3rd party controller with the stick position of your choice and call it a day.

I understand the discussion about the left stick, because up is much more comfortable. But on the other hand, you can always simply get a 3rd party controller with the stick position of your choice and call it a day.
I won’t get into the argument, but I’ve realized over the years that the stick placement simply never mattered, as long as the game was playable. No one complained about the left stick placement until the Xbox 360 generation(after they became accustomed to it during the Original Xbox generation).

Before that people played GameCube, PS2, Dreamcast, PS1, N64, Saturn, etc and they adapted to each. If they hadn’t, there wouldn’t be so many people here willing to go back to those classics to re-experience “the good old days”.

After all of these years, I find it funny that fans of one specific controller style suddenly refuse to adapt to anything new when that’s all we’ve been doing collectively since the concept of a controller existed.

The entire reason why I want more universal controllers is so that that specific audience stops whining about everyone else not conforming to their standard, because they’re the most vocal about it whenever someone decides to deviate from it.

I understand the appeal. And for example I would like to use my dualsense with my Switch. It definitely would make it more comfortable for me to game than the Switch controller (not the Pro I don't have that one).

But it also isn't a big deal to me if they are not compatible with other systems.

However there are ways around this with certain accessories. I haven't used them yet so I can't comment on how good they are. Only thing similar is my Xbitdo dongle that I use on my android gaming devices. Basically I hook up my portables to my TV and just connect my dualsense to the 8bitdo dongle. I think it works with the Switch but I haven't tried it yet.

mrmustard

Banned
I won’t get into the argument, but I’ve realized over the years that the stick placement simply never mattered, as long as the game was playable. No one complained about the left stick placement until the Xbox 360 generation(after they became accustomed to it during the Original Xbox generation).

Before that people played GameCube, PS2, Dreamcast, PS1, N64, Saturn, etc and they adapted to each. If they hadn’t, there wouldn’t be so many people here willing to go back to those classics to re-experience “the good old days”.

After all of these years, I find it funny that fans of one specific controller style suddenly refuse to adapt to anything new when that’s all we’ve been doing collectively since the concept of a controller existed.

The entire reason why I want more universal controllers is so that that specific audience stops whining about everyone else not conforming to their standard, because they’re the most vocal about it whenever someone decides to deviate from it.
Back in the good old days many games were played with the d-pad. Today and actually at latest since 360 in 99% of the games the left stick is used 99% of the time. If the stick is up your thumb is in a relaxed position. It's that simple.

I don't need universal controller, because like i said there is always a 3rd party option for every taste.

Back in the good old days many games were played with the d-pad.
The older generations I’ve listed(aside from Saturn)all used the left joystick for primary control. Again, there was no whining about this back then 🤷‍♂️

People adjusted and played games comfortably.

Top Bottom