• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s time for controllers to be universal/cross-platform

RCU005

As much as I love all the great features the Dualsense has, I wish Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox allowed connecting each other’s controller to their consoles.

For third party games should be even required. I’d understand that a first party game only supports their corresponding controller, but for every other game, it would be very cool if we could just connect whatever controller we like the most.

I believe they PC is already like that. It supports different controllers, as well as mobile. I think the games even recognize which controller it is and changes the UI for that controller.

Feature-wise, you’d get the features corresponding to each controller, just like when you play it on each console.

I would also help for multiplayer games, if you have one controller for each console, you at least would have two or three to play with friends.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Console manufacturers have zero incentive to do it.

You would also get situations where the DS5's touchpad and gyro are necessary but the Xbox controller doesn't have them, so it would either mean ripping out features or complete feature parity between all controllers. Again, console manufacturers don't want everyone having their unique features.

Last edited:

Gold Member
Sounds like a lot of work for very little reward to me.

I can’t see why platform owners would want to go to this level of effort to what effectively amounts to cannibalising their own hardware sales. Sure it would be cool for people that own multiple platforms and have controllers lying around (is there lots of people like this I dunno?), but from a business angle this makes little sense imo.

Last edited:

nkarafo

They can't even set a standard for the select/back buttons.

Even developers themselves can't do it. Even way back in the day when controllers only had 2 buttons, they still couldn't agree to make all games use the same button for jump/fire.

You are asking for way too much.

mrmustard

Banned
Why stop there? Why not have all discs be playable on any console? Boot up totk on the ps5. Better yet, make all console open source and let the people do whatever they want with everything. Smh.
Don't be silly. PS5 games couldn't start on other consoles without the secret sauce SSD.

phaedrus

feels game of thrones GIF

All controllers should be like the Xbox or Switch Pro controller. I don't need stupid ass lights, touch pads, speakers, or motion controls, etc. Give me a good comfortable controller to use with long battery life. Xbox is the best controllers I've ever used with Switch Pro close second. Playstation controllers have been trash this gen and last. The last good one was the Dualshock 3 and even that had the writing on the wall with the focus on motion controls.

Playstation and Switch controllers are awful to get working on PC. That's why I stick with Xbox because 1) they are the best comfortable to use 2) they just work on Windows 3) you can swap out the batteries real quickly instead of having to plug the controller in to charge it

Last edited:

Joramun

I think its better if controllers worked along all platforms. Players can pick the controller they want to use with whichever device they choose.

That involves Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo ensuring the controllers work on their devices.

One can dream

Rayderism

That's more of a PC thing than consoles. Especially now that controllers have more and more fancy bell-and-whistle features exclusive to each console.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Don't most USB controllers are already like that? I mean, you can use Microsoft adaptive controller on every console right? And PS5 and switch also accept most USB controllers, right?

You should try connect your xbox controller on switch using the USBC port of the controller. Tell us how it goes.

Nah, that'd likely lead to less innovation as they stop trying to one-up the other guy. In your world, we might have never gotten the DualSense.

Whitecrow

Banned
I mean, everyone should want that.

If you dont create incentives for the people to buy your product, people may as well not care about your product.

Why should there be a ps5, if the xbox offers the same. Or a switch. Or a PC.

Very good reasoning.

And quality products come from competition, not from good will, because good will doesnt get funds for anything.

Everything you know now, was possible thanks to companies wanting to earn money. So, you'd better think twice about what you want.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This reads exactly like the "BOTW is restrictive" thread.

It's something that impacts your immediate convenience so you think it should be that way, with no critical thinking for the entire cascade of reasons it isn't and shouldn't.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would be fine with this, it's not 1997 anymore, all these controllers look the same and have functionally the same tech, with some added features that don't really change anything. Being able to use other controllers would probably motivate the manufacturers to upgrade their own (like, say, MS adding 10 year old gyro tech to Xbox).

I play Returnal on console with an Xbox Controller, it's not that serious. Play with what you want, this whole "it's s0 uN1QuE t0 "mY" coRpOrAtE PlaStec" shit is cringe.

Plus more people prefer the shape of the Xbox controller anyway, even Nintendo jumped on the train. Sony's the last real holdout giving people the same 30 year old shape.
It's so unique to my corporate plastic tho.

A better idea is releasing multible sizes and designs for the controler, like PS5 controller with different analogs placement
I've said this for years, MS should make a symmetrical stick controller, and Sony should make an offset one. That way everyone is happy, and the companies make more sales.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The controller plays a big part of the identity of a console, I know people replace them with different controllers etc, to suit their preferences but people Also ruin themselves with surgery and tattoos.

I like original controllers for reasons already stated, but if I could have the analogue stick under my thumb and not halfway across the pad, the PS would be far more appealing to me. The dreadful joy cons / £90 pro stopped me getting a switch for myself.

Top Bottom