• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time for Fallout to go back to isometric?

Wildebeest

They still consider Fallout 76 to be worth actively promoting and the epitome of what Fallout should be. There are probably a million depressing and sadistic fallout clones from ex soviet bloc countries by now, there isn't a huge gap in the market.

Wildebeest

..isometric Fallout, and preferably turn based. But I'd take real time at this point.

Wasteland is not the same setting. Have you even played fallout 1 or 2?
IMO real time isometric gunplay just looks the worst. Two dudes standing up straight like boards a few feet from each other and slowly trading shots, with no reaction. Big nope.

Senua

You have wasteland for that.
Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

K2D

Banned
IMO real time isometric gunplay just looks the worst. Two dudes standing up straight like boards a few feet from each other and slowly trading shots, with no reaction. Big nope.
Isometric doesn't *have to* be slow, and your reference to billboards and "no reaction" is just a you-problem.

Sad that people are so hung up about graphics all the time. You lose out on a lot of fun..

Last edited:

Labadal

Tim Cain does not work for Microsoft.

InXile won't do Fallout, as they are working on Clockwork Revolution.

Wildebeest

Isometric doesn't *have to* be slow, and your reference to billboards and "no reaction" is just a you-problem.

Sad that people are so hung about graphics all the time. You lose out on a lot of fun..
Real time does have to be slow, otherwise you can't micro anything and might as well be playing an auto battler. There are some scenarios where a "real time tactics" game works. Like ones where you can control one character at a time and switch between them, so they are not simultaneously doing things. Then the other scenario is a defensive "horde mode" type game which is something like a tower defence except you can move your characters who normally walk around in lock step as a death ball. Either way, both are limiting and tactically work just as well (or badly) with other perspectives. There are some solutions to have fast real time action in tactics games like simultaneous turn based with a planning and execution phase, but this is a more obscure and less approachable mechanic than turn based.

K2D

Banned
Real time does have to be slow, otherwise you can't micro anything and might as well be playing an auto battler. There are some scenarios where a "real time tactics" game works. Like ones where you can control one character at a time and switch between them, so they are not simultaneously doing things. Then the other scenario is a defensive "horde mode" type game which is something like a tower defence except you can move your characters who normally walk around in lock step as a death ball. Either way, both are limiting and tactically work just as well (or badly) with other perspectives. There are some solutions to have fast real time action in tactics games like simultaneous turn based with a planning and execution phase, but this is a more obscure and less approachable mechanic than turn based.
Tim Cain talked about ways they in hindsight could have made the combat not halt to a crawl. For instance letting NPC's and critters taking their turns simultaneously.

My take - maybe not have every being on the screen have a turn of their not engaged in combat.

I like InXile quite a bit but why not let Obsidian take a crack at it

New Vegas 2 in the Pillars of Eternity engine would be ace and also wouldn’t take a decade to make
Because The Outer Worlds sucked, that's why.

Irony is wasn't it directed by the creator of Fallout? But I guess he's lost his touch.

Imagine living in your own echo chamber and believing this. What Bethesda needs to do is drop the Creation Engine.
Yet the biggest issue I had with Fallout 4 was bland and boring writing, a change of engine won't change writers.

You instantly know what a Bethesda Fallout 5 would be like, that makes it boring, who honestly wants that instead of a new team having a shot?

We've had three Bethesda Fallout games, who honestly wants more?

old-parts

MS has the Wasteland series which is closer to classic Fallout in gameplay.

Its unlikely they would revert back with a mainline Fallout Bethesda game but perhaps a spin-off handed to some other team might try it.

baphomet

Well it couldn't possibly be any worse than the last one.

Id probably actually play a crazy detailed isometric turn based Fallout.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
3D Bethesda RPGs (and any other ones similar to it) can have tons of items all over the place to check and pick up. A zoomed out isometric view would make it basically impossible to see and smoothly interact with all this stuff.

xrnzaaas

It's probably not gonna happen for a mainline entry, but I could see it happening for a spin-off game. Now that Microsoft owns both IP's they may actually decide to ditch the next Wasteland and try the isometric/turn-based approach with a more recognizable and liked IP.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The Wasteland series exists, so that niche is being serviced. There might be a market for a fallout CRPG but that market is certain a fraction of the market for the first person open world games.

Filben

I don't mind either way. Fallout wasn't really defined by its perspective in my opinion. New Vegas was such a great game that I wish they'd remake from the ground up with modern controls and proper shooting mechanics while everything else (choices, skills, dialogues) stay the same. Or a complete new one but not the Bethesda formula Fallout 5 but more like New Vegas or F1 and 2.

Top Bottom