• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just started replaying Fallout 3, it still rocks

lem0n

Fallout 3 fucking rocks. I've been playing it (and Oblivion) on and off since they came out- somehow I haven't got bored yet. Maybe they are the videogame equivalent to comfort food, I dunno. Something about that era of Bethesda game just resonates with me. Glad you're giving it another go, and it's even better you're enjoying it!

Kev Kev

Yeah it's still pretty good but it's hard to go back after Fallout 4.

FO4 just did everything better from graphics, to gunplay, to crafting, to settlement building, to mods and more. I have save files on FO4 that I've been working on for years. Collecting 1 of every item and displaying them at my settlements, customizing power armor, decorating, etc. It's just so much better in every way. I don't really care about story and dialogue so I'm not sure which is better, but those are least important to me in a Bethesda game.

Didn't care for New Vegas if I'm being honest. Just felt like more of the same, and I'd already dumped hundreds of hours into FO3 at the time, so I never stuck with it.

I can't wait to play FO5 when it releases 700 years from now.

I tried to get into this game some months because they gifted the complete edition on the epic store ago but it looks and play like shit and after reading that the plot is basically a fucking reddit meme i lost all the interest to continue (not that i'm surprised that bethesda can't make a decent main story to save their lives)

Maybe i'm gonna try new vegas that from what i readed, it's the vast superior rpg experience, if i manage to make it run without bugs.
Why didn’t you play these on release? Unless your in your early 20s and you were like 7 when the game came out?

OP, not fallout but I’ve been obsessively playing Oblivion for the past few months. All these games to play and I can’t stop booting up Oblivion…

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I have fond memories of FO3. Smoking weed and fucking around.

Nowadays it's a blurry brown mess when i think about it.. =/

GymWolf

Why didn’t you play these on release? Unless your in your early 20s and you were like 7 when the game came out?

OP, not fallout but I’ve been obsessively playing Oblivion for the past few months. All these games to play and I can’t stop booting up Oblivion…
I tried to play it at release day but i just don't enjoy bethesda games that much, oblivion is probably the one i liked more.

Drizzlehell

Banned
then what is it? Exploration? Too sparse of a world for that to take off imo.
Look, do I really have to call Todd to get down here and kick your ass?

artworks-000530827134-pqvrnb-t500x500.jpg

...didn't think so.

Cashon

Banned
It really is a fantastic, wonderful game. One of my favourites of all time probably

Much, much superior to the mediocre New Vegas.
I much prefer exploring the Capital Wasteland over the Mojave, but I think Fallout 3 would be better if it had the systems and quality of dialogue of New Vegas. As it stands, I don't think either one is significantly better than the other; they're pretty complementary.

I much prefer exploring the Capital Wasteland over the Mojave, but I think Fallout 3 would be better if it had the systems and quality of dialogue of New Vegas. As it stands, I don't think either one is significantly better than the other; they're pretty complementary.
Yeah that's also an opinion one can have 🙂

Holy shit that's a lot of work:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
have you tried playing the game?

Takes 10 minutes, guys. You just copy-paste the mods in the "data" folder IIRC in that specific order. I didn't want to bother with a mod manager because i didn't wanna have another thing installed just for that specific game, but you can probably make it even faster with a mod manager.

Took me a while to figure out which mods work well and which mods don't, the order, which are the most updated, which don't fuck up the game etc. The end result is that list, i already did the work.

And what you're left with is a literal remaster with better gunplay than Fallout 4, a silky smooth user interface, Quality of Life modern standard features up the wazoo, buttery smooth stability (no crashes, i can vouch for that), and an actual finished product as the developers envisioned.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Takes 10 minutes, guys. You just copy-paste the mods in the "data" folder IIRC in that specific order. I didn't want to bother with a mod manager because i didn't wanna have another thing installed just for that specific game, but you can probably make it even faster with a mod manager.

Took me a while to figure out which mods work well and which mods don't, the order, which are the most updated, which don't fuck up the game etc. The end result is that list, i already did the work.

And what you're left with is a literal remaster with better gunplay than Fallout 4, a silky smooth user interface, Quality of Life modern standard features up the wazoo, buttery smooth stability (no crashes, i can vouch for that), and an actual finished product as the developers envisioned.
I'm pumped to try this man, sounds like a sick configuration. Thanks very much for posting all of that, sincerely.

Larxia

multiple hours
try days lol Last time I wanted to replay Skyrim I spent like a week trying to mod it, hesitating between the original or the special edition (because of some specific mods not compatible between each versions), trying different things etc, I eventually didn't actually play it :messenger_grinning_squinting:

bender

What time is it?
I enjoyed it more than Fallout 4 but that isn't saying much. The main storyline is awful and the side stories, with very few exceptions, is equally as bad. I still need to give New Vegas a whirl but the animation systems that Bethesda utilizes are hard to stomach.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Anyone tried it on steam deck without mods? Never played it so was thinking of doing a handheld playthrough of the vanilla.
It has full controller support so it should be fine. It has a launcher utility like all the other bethesda made games, though, I read that these may be a problem on Deck.

Gp1

This weekend I reinstalled Oblivion and I've been modding Bethesda games since Morrowind times. Nexus / vortex and games after Skyrim made us soft, everything is so much streamlined now days.

Sadly Oblivion simply refuse to work with Vortex, so you have to use Wrye Bash, but the process is almost the same. Installation order, activation, load order.

I would touch manual modding with a 10 feet pole. It's way too easy to mess up. And if you didn't like some results good luck undoing it (specially textures).

That said, Oblivion is probably the last Bethesda game with some remnant of crpgs. I'm having a great time even with all it's flaws.

Next will be Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Last edited:
I would love to play this game fully modded out but the idea of spending multiple hours trying to set it up just sounds like something that will make me so annoyed that when it finally boots I wont enjoy it.
This is me every time I’ve decided to finally mod and play Morrowind.

Reactions: Gp1

fart town usa

Gold Member
I love this game so much, I probably put in 1000 hours in 3 playthroughs, Last year was the most recent and it still holds up so well. FO3 and Halo Reach are my 2 favorite games EVER. I only wish I could play it again for the first time.
I had no idea what Fallout was and I only became aware of FO3 the day it released on PS3. I remember reading an IGN preview and was like, "holy shit, I gotta check this out..." Drove straight to Best Buy, got it and played it with my younger brother all day. We were just completely blown away, had never seen or played anything like it. And then the Chuck Norris videos on YouTube cropped up a few weeks later with him punching people and them exploding, lmao. That was such a fun time, FO3 was effing massive. Still blows my mind.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I had no idea what Fallout was and I only became aware of FO3 the day it released on PS3. I remember reading an IGN preview and was like, "holy shit, I gotta check this out..." Drove straight to Best Buy, got it and played it with my younger brother all day. We were just completely blown away, had never seen or played anything like it. And then the Chuck Norris videos on YouTube cropped up a few weeks later with him punching people and them exploding, lmao. That was such a fun time, FO3 was effing massive. Still blows my mind.

I had the same experience with the game. Never even heard of Fallout before FO3 was released but it was getting great reviews and people were loving it. I was pretty new to Xbox and I had Gamefly at the time so I put it on my want list to check it out. It was ALWAYS out of stock, so I deleted everything on my list except Fallout and I finally got my hands on the game.

OMG the game was amazing. I was so addicted, immersed and obsessed with this game I would play nonstop and frequently look out my window and see the sun coming up or when I did sleep, I would dream about Fallout. Bethesda is like a drug dealer; they really get you hooked on their games. I love all their games, but Fallout 3 is the one that hooked me the most.

StereoVsn

Tale of Two Wastelands is an excellent way to go through 3 and NV. Throw in a proper Wabbajack collection and you barely need to do anything.

Maybe play a bit with reshade and some texture packs or whatnot.

Maybe its too early, but i really thought Microsoft was going to go all in and really expand fallout and go all in with new dlc, remasters, maybe something from obsidian in the works, but its just the same shit, maybe a new fallout every 20 years, microsoft just limited the plaforms

Fools idol

Banned
Wasteland 3 is the real sequel to Fallout 2 we never got.

I don't wanna shit on others opinions but fallout 3 and 4 are not in the same universe of quality as 1 and 2. Just not even close!

Top Bottom