• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just started replaying Fallout 3, it still rocks

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's been like 14 years since I last played it and yet I still remember some of the moments from that game vividly. Although when I played through the main game and the majority of the DLCs, I ultimately ran out of steam when I reached Point Lookout. I've been always meaning to go back and finish that expansion but somehow I never did.

Figured it's time to finally close that chapter of my life.

First, however, I couldn't miss this opportunity to play the game modded. I never owned the digital version so I went to Steam to buy one, and then fired up some basic modding tutorial. The first thing that the guys says is that the Steam version is trash if you're looking to mod the game, and you should get the GoG version instead.

Fuck.

Fine. It's only another 20 bucks that I'm giving to you TODD.

todd-howard-bethesda.gif

I get the GoG version, and get to modding. What a pain in the ass this is, really. If I were to give anyone any advice on how to mod Fallout 3, it's this: no matter what the modding community tells you, NEVER USE THE FUCKING MOD MANAGER. Seriously, I've been fighting that stupid thing for 2 hours last night, trying to run the game with all the mods, plugins, and script extenders that I wanted. But it kept crashin. Every. Single. Time. Finally I got fed up with it and started copying mod files manually into the game folder and enabling them through the game launcher. Then all you gotta do is to run the game though script extender executable and it works like a charm. Fuck your mod managers, they suck.

Anyway, after nearly 3 hours of modding the game and tweaking the settings, I was ready to go.

The feeling of leaving the vault for the first time will never be as awe-inspiring as it was for the first time. The feeling of absolute dread an shock that came over me when I first entered Springvale Elementary School and discovered that this is a pretty fucking brutal and dark game will never be the same as it was the first time. The excitement and sense of wonder that I felt whenever I decided to pick a direction and just stumble dick-first into something totally awesome won't be the same as it was the first time. But I think it only serves as a testament to what an amazing game this is, really. The fact that after 14 goddamned years (fuck, I'm old) I can still remember those quests so vividly means that they're just very memorable.

What really made the experience of playing this game for the first time so memorable is that it was kinda the first time I even played a game like that. It was the first time when I played a role-playing game that was also a first person shooter, and somehow every single quest that I stumbled upon was enthralling but also vastly more interesting than the main story, and exploring the world felt like such an epic adventure. It was a totally unique experience that I couldn't get enough of.

I miss the times when firing up a game could mean that I'll be embarking on one of the most unforgettable adventures of my life, and it will totally blow my mind with how different it was from everything else that I played up until that point. And I don't wanna end this rambly post on a somber note but I truly feel like outside of VR, games these days just became so homogenized and "safe" that there simply isn't anything new around to surprise you like Fallout 3 did back in the day. And it really sucks, man...

Anyway, Fallout 3. What an amazing game. I'm having so much fun right now. I really hope for Starfield to be even half as amazing as this. It'll be enough.

Last edited:

Neilg

I would love to play this game fully modded out but the idea of spending multiple hours trying to set it up just sounds like something that will make me so annoyed that when it finally boots I wont enjoy it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I would love to play this game fully modded out but the idea of spending multiple hours trying to set it up just sounds like something that will make me so annoyed that when it finally boots I wont enjoy it.
The fact that so many modding tutorials online are so convoluted and consist of 178 different steps doesn't help either, lol.

But I figured it out. It's really not that complicated once you know what you're doing. I could give you a more straightforward checklist if you're interested.

killatopak

Completely 100% the game. I just don’t like to replay it because of the long ass intro and the level progression. It’s not as bad as Oblivion but I don’t feel any stronger or weaker at any time. When you can kill a Deathclaw at level 1, it really makes it feel like there’s no threat of losing.

It’s basically quicksave the game. Just quicksave before any narrative choice that has dice rolls.

Dr_Ifto

I love hte game, but I tried to go back and I have so much issues with the game play. the VATS is still nice, but other than that everything else seems to not have aged well.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Exiting the vault into the open world for the first time is still one of the best moments of any PS3/360 gen game.

I replayed it recently as well and damn, that moment, just fcking hit me in the nostalgia balls really hard. The first hours of the game are so amazing, shame the later half kinda goes downhill.

SCB3

Exiting the vault into the open world for the first time is still one of the best moments of any PS3/360 gen game.
Its a shame that Oblivion did it a few years earlier but yes it absolutely is, I remember hearing barely anything about FO3 before its release and it blew me away,

Also learn the Metro Tunnels and how to navigate them, they actually do make sense and you spend a lot of time in them

Go to the Nexus. Download and install vortex. Choose a mod collection. Install it and enjoy.

Without premium you'd only need to click download for every mod. With premium you just add the collection and vortex takes care of everything.

Fallout 3 collections

GymWolf

I tried to get into this game some months because they gifted the complete edition on the epic store ago but it looks and play like shit and after reading that the plot is basically a fucking reddit meme i lost all the interest to continue (not that i'm surprised that bethesda can't make a decent main story to save their lives)

Maybe i'm gonna try new vegas that from what i readed, it's the vast superior rpg experience, if i manage to make it run without bugs.

Last edited:

ungalo

Very very good game yes. I replayed it recently. The DLCs really sucked even the ones that were considered good at the time like Broken Steel. I only like Point Lookout.

It's funny that this game was shit on for its tone and the writing's shortcomings at the time. It's true that regarding narrative design Obsidian will always be far better but i'm not even sure they could write something as funny as good old Fallout 3 nowadays. And i'm one of the rare people that think The Outer Worlds is funny and well written.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
200 years after nuclear apocalypse, and people are still scrounging around in prewar supermarkets searching for nonperishable foods, and living in ruined prewar buildings where nobody in the past 200 years decided to clean up the piles of rubble and debris everywhere.

Maybe i'm gonna try new vegas that from what i readed, it's the vast superior rpg experience, if i manage to make it run without bugs.

Fallout New Vegas is a game I believe can only improve with the use of mods, because there is a lot to love, but it's hampered by its shitty engine which was never good to begin with, let alone in 2023, and an incredibly short development cycle. Here's my mod list that i always use when i wanna replay NV. Focused on stability & gameplay first and foremost, because i wanted to have fun while being immersed in its world.

Essential plugins/bugfix patches to make stuff work (added in this order):

1. New Vegas Script Extender (xNVSE)
2. JIP LN NVSE Plugin
3. JohnnyGuitar NVSE
4. UIO - User Interface Organizer
5. ISControl Enabler and Ironsights adjuster
6. kNVSE Animation Plugin
7. lStewieAl's Tweaks and Engine Fixes
8. ShowOff NVSE Plugin
9. Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP
10. The Mod Configuration Menu (MCM)

Essential mods related to graphics to make stuff as polished as possible (added in this order):

1. New Vegas Mesh Improvement Mod
2. Skinned Mesh Improvement Mod
3. Improved Lighting Shaders
4. NMCs Texture Pack (Small Version) - just wanted something quick to improve some of the textures, huge difference even with the small pack. I didn't add the larger versions because the difference aren't that big and that shit engine can't handle it.

Essential mods related to gunplay (added in this order):

1. Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod
2. Simplified Weapon Retexture Project
3. Hitman47101's Anniversary Anim Pack and Season 1, 2 and 3 - better animations and sound effects.
4. Real Recoil - smooth, realistic recoil.
5. (JAM) Just Assorted Mods - adds stuff like sprint, a quick loot menu, a dynamic crosshair and more. Massively improves the general gameplay, and is a must.

Essential mods related to the User Interface (added in this order):

1. DarnUI
2. Consistent Pip-Boy Icons
3. High Res Local Maps
4. High Resolution Screens

Then Clarity (Darker Nights version) so i could remove the orange tint, and particularly this version to make the nights a little darker which improves the atmosphere.

Finally JSawyer Ultimate Edition. This is my favorite, JSawyer was a mod created by the lead designer of Fallout: New Vegas, Josh Sawyer, addressing many balance changes and bugs unable to be fixed in the 18-month development window for Fallout: New Vegas. JSawyer Ultimate Edition is basically the final version of the game with a lot more extra polish. Makes the game more difficult, but far more balanced and satisfying to play.

hyperbertha

It's main story is waay too short for it to be considered an rpg great imo. I remember thinking I was halfway into the story when it ended. Then I had absolutely no interest to continue. When the main conflict is already resolved, side conflicts aren't much appealing unless there are some top tier side quests, which it doesn't have.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was going to say the same thing. That canned tutorial shit the first half hour in the vault was meh, but once you get out it's fantastic. I think one of the first buildings I explored was a grocery store with bandits in it.

GymWolf

Fallout New Vegas is a game I believe can only improve with the use of mods, because there is a lot to love, but it's hampered by its shitty engine which was never good to begin with, let alone in 2023, and an incredibly short development cycle. Here's my mod list that i always use when i wanna replay NV. Focused on stability & gameplay first and foremost, because i wanted to have fun while being immersed in its world.

2. JIP LN NVSE Plugin
3. JohnnyGuitar NVSE
8. ShowOff NVSE Plugin

Essential mods related to graphics to make stuff as polished as possible (added in this order):

4. NMCs Texture Pack (Small Version) - just wanted something quick to improve some of the textures, huge difference even with the small pack. I didn't add the larger versions because the difference aren't that big and that shit engine can't handle it.

3. Hitman47101's Anniversary Anim Pack and Season 1, 2 and 3 - better animations and sound effects.
5. (JAM) Just Assorted Mods - adds stuff like sprint, a quick loot menu, a dynamic crosshair and more. Massively improves the general gameplay, and is a must.

1. DarnUI
3. High Res Local Maps

Then Clarity (Darker Nights version) so i could remove the orange tint, and particularly this version to make the nights a little darker which improves the atmosphere.

Finally JSawyer Ultimate Edition. This is my favorite, JSawyer was a mod created by the lead designer of Fallout: New Vegas, Josh Sawyer, addressing many balance changes and bugs unable to be fixed in the 18-month development window for Fallout: New Vegas. JSawyer Ultimate Edition is basically the final version of the game with a lot more extra polish. Makes the game more difficult, but far more balanced and satisfying to play.
Holy shit that's a lot of work:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

anthraticus

Banned
one of the biggest things Bethesda didn't get from Fallout, is that Fallout is NOT post-apocalyptic.
200 years after nuclear apocalypse, and people are still scrounging around in prewar supermarkets searching for nonperishable foods, and living in ruined prewar buildings where nobody in the past 200 years decided to clean up the piles of rubble and debris everywhere.
One of the biggest things Bethesda didn't get from Fallout, is that Fallout is NOT post-apocalyptic. Its actually post-post apocalyptic. Its about people picking up after the disaster and creating new societies, not people dealing with the disaster's direct aftermath. Even in 1, the Great War was this refereed to as this ancient cataclysmic event.

So in 3 you get things like pre-war loot laying around in easily-found and easily-pillaged areas, when one of the main assumptions in the originals, is that by the time the games roll around, everything in easy reach has already been long scavenged. Pre-War Salvage is limited to big, dangerous pre-war ruins like Necropolis and the Boneyard, inhospitable hell-holes like The Glow, isolated facilities like the Vaults, or pre-war facilities still containing working security, like Sierra Army Depot.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's main story is waay too short for it to be considered an rpg great imo. I remember thinking I was halfway into the story when it ended. Then I had absolutely no interest to continue. When the main conflict is already resolved, side conflicts aren't much appealing unless there are some top tier side quests, which it doesn't have.
parks-and-rec-ron-swanson.gif

The main story is literally the least contributing factor to what makes this game amazing. If anyone's playing this game for the main storyline they're doing it wrong.

Bethesda's fallout are fun post apocalyptic theme parks. Don't expect coherence or logic. What do they eat? Doesn't matter. Just enjoy the ride.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Bethesda's fallout are fun post apocalyptic theme parks. Don't expect coherence or logic. What do they eat? Doesn't matter. Just enjoy the ride.
I've seen that YouTube video too. It's merely a choice between boring wheat fields or something that just looks cool. Depends on what the game is going for and Fallout isn't exactly renowned for it's ultra-realism so who cares. I can live with either as long as the game is fun and doesn't bore the shit out of me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

2. JIP LN NVSE Plugin
3. JohnnyGuitar NVSE
8. ShowOff NVSE Plugin

1. DarnUI
3. High Res Local Maps

have you tried playing the game?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
One of the biggest things Bethesda didn't get from Fallout, is that Fallout is NOT post-apocalyptic. Its actually post-post apocalyptic. Its about people picking up after the disaster and creating new societies, not people dealing with the disaster's direct aftermath. Even in 1, the Great War was this refereed to as this ancient cataclysmic event.

So in 3 you get things like pre-war loot laying around in easily-found and easily-pillaged areas, when one of the main assumptions in the originals, is that by the time the games roll around, everything in easy reach has already been long scavenged. Pre-War Salvage is limited to big, dangerous pre-war ruins like Necropolis and the Boneyard, inhospitable hell-holes like The Glow, isolated facilities like the Vaults, or pre-war facilities still containing working security, like Sierra Army Depot.
Yeah this is exactly it. It bothered me to an irrational degree.

To keep it on topic, I used a few mods to correct (at least visually) some of the game’s lack of creativity.

- remove the piss filter + piss-colored haze (WTF I don’t even know why this was there to begin with, were they like “uhhh well radiation is green so let’s like, put pea soup haze all over to represent the radiation”)

- clear skies

- one mod added foliage to the plants so it doesn’t look like a bunch of dead trees are still standing after 200 years

Alebrije

FO 3 has improved graphics finished it for 6th time like 2 months ago...

But New Vegas is better for me, saddly Microsoft never made a nexr gen patch or enhance the game like FO3..

The game is great and difficult..not the shooter that is FO4...

Prospector : dont go this way Deathclaws are around all the quarry
Me: Iam OP my friend. Nothig to worry
Seconds later find DC , spent all.my arsenal and items and kill it with dinamite just before I am done.

Approach for the loot and find its a baby deadclaw.
Turnd around and a bigger one is approaching...

No need to run I realized I was a walkig dead...

Hugare

One of my favorites, and best Bethesda game imo

The atmosphere is *chef kiss*. So much better than that shitty Mojave desert.

Main story kinda sucks, but exploration is 10/10.

"Tranquility Lane" is one hell of a quest, tho.

Top Bottom