• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it acceptable that MS is releasing the Xbox Series S/X without a big AAA first party exclusive? Does it set a bad precedent for the industry? Poll!

Is it unacceptable to release a console without a big AAA first party exclusive? Wrong precedent?

• Total voters

scalman

Bigest issue for both consoles for me no next gen games still shown. So raises even worse question do they even have them ready with launch? But its like nothing rly. Whats the problem here? Where trailers that we got before like half year before game releases. Now its 2 month left. For now dont see point buy any new console at release. They have 2 month to change my mind

Inviusx

Well at launch PS5 has games you can only play on PS5, whereas Xbox has third party titles you can play on both.

Also with Cyberpunk coming a week later and Sony already holding dominance over current gen I can't see why people would be jumping ship for no reason.

The Xbox story makes more sense next year or the year after.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
a game being an exclusive doesn’t automatically make it better than great games that are not, but a great exclusive is a legitimate contributing factor If you have to pick one platform to play games on.

Dibils2k

it happened because Infinite was supposed to come out on launch, there would have been no reason to have another exclusive at launch

problem is obviously once infinite got delayed they are now fucked

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It’s not great, but it won’t do them any long term damage, unless games don’t run well when we do see them. We won’t know until they release footage though.

Last edited:

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I think somehow this time its different for MS. I think it may be the first time a console is launched with games that can be all played on a PC. I mean for most people of this forum, not many of them are going to be exactly new games. Sure, PS5 too, but at least the Demons Souls remake is not available on anything other than PS5. I wont get one at launch but I love DS and its going to nag at me until I get one.

The only game MS had of that caliber for me is Halo Infinite, but Ill play that on my PC/OneX whenever MS decides its ready.

whitesugar

Banned
it's not great. but people have low expectations at launch because they are pumped about a new console and how nice everything looks.

consoles are a long-term investment in gaming terms, so not having a launch exclusive or having a quiet launch window doesn't matter for long.after 7 years, people barely remember

HoodWinked

It's weird you used the games to show what the console was capable of so people would invest in it. MS somehow managed to do that with just a single number so people aren't that reluctant from buying the console cause they expect the games will come.

The launch game state isn't great but despite that the damage control seems to be working because people's attitudes towards the launch is definitely not negative.

Roberts

Listen, I would love to play a big launch game that shows the true potential of the console, but it is what is and launch titles historically are not that good anyway. I can totally live with playing 3rd party games at launch or smaller indies like The Falconeer (let's be honest, it looks amazing). Also, yesterday's BC videos are encouraging as well - I know that I will get back to Sekiro now that it will be able to run it in 60 fps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandih42

I think the lack of big exclusive next-gen games is odd but it honestly doesn't bother me much. Next-gen games will arrive one way or another, it's only a matter of when, and often times the first batch is not that great anyway. In my opinion, most of the gems from each generations arrives a few years after the console launch.

That being said, I'm not in a rush to get either next-gen console (Playstation guy here but I feel like the situationis fairly similar to the Series X launch) so I'm not much affected. Currently my biggest drive for a next-gen console is improved load times and performance on old games, of which there are so many great ones to play no matter which console you got. The Series X previews showing improvements in frame rate and load times are very exciting for me - I really hope the PS5 situation will be similar. Otherwise consider me mad jelly on those gosh darn XBros.

For anyone pre-ordering a Series X, I get the concern for the lack of big next-gen releases. But I can't imagine the purchase not being great value in the long run. Next-gen is coming and you'll surely get amazing games to play in your box of choice.

yurinka

It's their choice to don't have any exclusive on their consoles because prefer to release all their games on PC.

It is their choice to release a console without even a single big AAA 1st party exclusive at launch and to release only one of them during their first year or so: Halo.

It is their choice to make all their 1st party games crossplatform during the first two years of the new console.

Many people seem happy with it. Seems ok for them don't see a big 1st party AAA next gen only exclusive until at least late 2022 or so in their console or game service which will mostly get last gen games, crossgen stuff and some next gen indie during at least a year.

It isn't my case, in addition to next gen only indies or cross gen games I like to see next gen AAA exclusives since day one, something where I can see justified my over 500€ investment of a next gen console, a game or two and maybe a second pad. If I pay this huge amount of money, I want to see it reflected in new games taking advantage of meaninful next gen features. And with that I don't mean to see previous gen loading slightly faster or with increased framerate in games with uncapped fps.

Last edited:

llien

Paid network play was a terrible precedent for the industry.

What games they release when is not a problem. (and as we've seen, there are good reasons to delay exclusives)

It is also the reason why totally not Shills at DF are hyping backward compatibility: at least you'll be able to play older games "lol".

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
2021. If we assume that "launch window" is the first year, it should make that no problem. Besides, I think we could see Hellblade launch in that timespan as well. And maybe Forza?
forza? maybe, halo nobody knows ,maybe christmas,thats not short.thats a whole year,also hellblade 2 in 2021? lol no

Allandor

Well this launch is really bad for both companies.
Sony has no games that are of interesst for me (just 2, one is more or less a DLC and the Souls game is not of my interesset).
MS seems to have nothing new.

I really expected a new Forza entry for launch. Where are the racing games for a console launch? Sony already missed that opportunity with the PS4. Not even GT6 got released for PS4 instead for PS3. Really don't know what they were thinking.

At least MS don't hold back titles. E.g. they could have waited with the release of a few games (e.g. Gears Tactics) to have some "launch games" like it was done in the past on most consoles. Instead, if a game is ready, they get released. I kind of like that approach.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's weird given the timing of everything. MS picked up 6 (or more?) studios in 2018 which wasn't long enough to get any of them launch-ready for the new system. It's not even launching with Forza which was very surprising.

I mean, I chose the middle option, poor showing, but not necessarily a dealbreaker.

PS4 launched with no really good exclusives, though I do have a soft spot for Knack. PS5 is launching with only one I believe, Demon's Souls remake, and that's a remake and a not a new title. Everything else is cross-gen last time I checked, making it not exclusive. Oh wait, Destruction All-Stars is an actual exclusive new title, though it doesn't really look appealing to me personally, which is why I forgot it.

Anyways, I don't think releasing without a big AAA party exclusive is a dealbreaker, because in the end, what matters is if it has games you want to play. Most early adapters are investing in the hardware and the future ecosystem as well, so it's not like they'll view the release titles as the only thing that matters.
In terms of release Sony definitely does have the advantage this time around, though personally it's just because of Demon's Souls remake. In terms of the console it's far far far less interesting than the PS4 was though. The inclusion of capture, streaming and sharing really defined the console early on and allowed it to have a lot of grab.

Personally I'm considering just waiting it out. There's no real rush for me personally, especially with the surprise news that Microsoft now owns Bethesda and the IPs. That made my choice for going PS5 a bit less certain, especially due to the uncertainty of those IPs coming to PS5. I'll still likely get a PS5 sometime later, since the Microsoft titles will come to PC and I've got a pretty okay one (though I might buy a Xbox Series S for my daughter's room). Another reason why I'm waiting is also because there's definitely gonna be a drought of good titles for a while after release, just like with PS4 and PS3. Just seems far better to just wait a little, let the first party games drop down in price and not buy in until the real next-gen showcases are there and a steady stream of titles come out, like PS4 from 2016-ish onwards.

EDIT: Oh, like AV AV mentioned, the lack of Forza Motorsport is really surprising. They used to come out like every 2 years and now it's been like 3 years since the last one.

Last edited:
What big AAA launch games does the ps5 have ? A ps5 remake of a ps3 title and an expansion to a ps4 title ? What big AAA did the ps4 had, that awful killzone game that killed the series ? Ps2 had SSX (a 3rd party game). Please.......

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
It's weird given the timing of everything. MS picked up 6 (or more?) studios in 2018 which wasn't long enough to get any of them launch-ready for the new system. It's not even launching with Forza which was very surprising.

Forza is very surprising for me.
I assumed XSX would launch with Forza and Halo. Then when Halo was delayed I figured that at least they'd still have Forza to prop up the launch.

For me it's not a big deal as I still need to play through Forza Horizon 4 and it sounds like that game is getting a decent upgrade on XSX but it is weird that there isn't one big MS franchise ready for launch (unless we're counting Gears Tactics).

martino

Paid network play was a terrible precedent for the industry.

What games they release when is not a problem. (and as we've seen, there are good reasons to delay exclusives)

It is also the reason why totally not Shills at DF are hyping backward compatibility: at least you'll be able to play older games "lol".

let's not forget about that one.it's on ms

Ritsumei2020

What big AAA launch games does the ps5 have ? A ps5 remake of a ps3 title and an expansion to a ps4 title ? What big AAA did the ps4 had, that awful killzone game that killed the series ? Ps2 had SSX (a 3rd party game). Please.......

Well at least they do have some exclusives? What does the Xbox have that cant be already be found elsewhere? Gears Tactics?

TBiddy

Agreed, that surprised me as well. But it comes down to - I think - that maybe the ForzaTech-engine needed an overhaul in order to really shine. I'd rather Microsoft do it right, than do it fast.

JimiNutz

Banned
Didn’t PS2 launch in a similar way?

Kind of but PS2 also had a decent number of third party exclusive games.

I bought my PS2 at the UK launch with Timesplitters and Tekken Tag Tournament (both of which were exclusive next gen only games at the time).

Gran Turismo 3 then launched not much after launch and also ZOE which came with the MGS2 demo.

The console also launched with no real competition since GameCube and Xbox came out much later. It's not really comparable to the PS5 launch.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Would be interesting to know how many of the 2 answers were voted by PlayStation players who never had intentions buying an xbox in the first place. I'm pretty certain the 108 people who selected the third option are actually xbox players, while the two other categories are very questionable.

Also. If you like halo, Forza etc, then you're not about third party games, but a mix of both.

PS4 sold with a weak line up, because people kept saying Sony would have great exclusives down the line, and I'm certain many xbox players are feeling the same.

Come to thinking about, the exclusive argument is often used by people not playing xbox. Even now when Bethesda games may become exclusive they are still not system sellers despite selling so well.

The Sonygaf damage control is completely out of hand right now.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'll be playing Gears Tactics. What will you be playing OP, an 11 year old PS3 remaster or a PS4 DLC/expansion?

He3QNTH.jpg

CrysisFreak

Banned
Bigest issue for both consoles for me no next gen games still shown. So raises even worse question do they even have them ready with launch? But its like nothing rly. Whats the problem here? Where trailers that we got before like half year before game releases. Now its 2 month left. For now dont see point buy any new console at release. They have 2 month to change my mind
Demon's Souls is what?

INC

I do find it odd yes

Basically you're buying a next gen console, with 1st party on lay-away

Its the ultimate pre-order scheme tbh, buying a console on the promise of games

But they do offer gamepass for upgraded last gen games, depends how much you care about that as a consumer

Ritsumei2020

Nope I have finished the original demon’s souls and other than the graphics (not even the animation, that seems to be exactly the same with the ps3 game) the game is exactly the same or at least it seems to be from the footage Sony has provided.

OK sure its a remke, you know, like all the games ever remade, they are not the ‘same’ game, they tend to have improvement in gameplay, etc. Im kind of looking forward to it, although Im not really going to splash out on a PS5 just for that. Ill get it eventually.

Xbox though right now what do they even have that is not available elsewhere?

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
A remake of a ps3 game.
A remake is a remake.
It could be the remake of a PS2 game.
Could be the remake of a PS1 game.
As in Metal Gear Solid 1 remade with photorealism and RT, theoretically. That doesn't make the game worth less. It would probably be worth more than Halo Inf.
What kind of stupid argument is "it's a remake"?
It's next-gen, period. And the visuals curbstomp whatever the competitor has shown so far lmao.

OK sure its a remke, you know, like all the games ever remade, they are not the ‘same’ game, they tend to have improvement in gameplay, etc. Im kind of looking forward to it, although Im not really going to splash out on a PS5 just for that. Ill get it eventually.

Xbox though right now what do they even have that is not available elsewhere?
Have you seen improvement in gameplay in the footage Sony has provided ? I have seen the comparison videos, it is the exact stiff animations, the exact gameplay technics, it actually does seems to have the exact gameplay. Maybe I am wrong and there’s hidden stuff in there but as of right now I have seen nothing different , other than graphics (which don’t actually curbstomp anything but Sony fans are used to hype graphics of PlayStation games to high heavens so I won’t really bother arguing about that).

It is an 80€ remake, trying to position it as some big exclusive , yeah o.k no. Now if Sony had a ps5 horizon 2 , for example, as a launch game then we could talk but the way things are , this is just more unsubstantial noise from Sony fans.

Last edited:
A remake is a remake.
It could be the remake of a PS2 game.
Could be the remake of a PS1 game.
As in Metal Gear Solid 1 remade with photorealism and RT, theoretically. That doesn't make the game worth less. It would probably be worth more than Halo Inf.
What kind of stupid argument is "it's a remake"?
It's next-gen, period. And the visuals curbstomp whatever the competitor has shown so far lmao.
Why would a remake of an ancient game like MGS1 be worth more than a new halo, which has been historically a much bigger series ?

CrysisFreak

Banned
Why would a remake of an ancient game like MGS1 be worth more than a new halo, which has been historically a much bigger series ?
I meant in terms of quality, not in terms of your preference.
Particularly including visuals when I say quality. DS is (and MGS Remake would be) next-gen. Period.
Next-gen resolution, next-gen assets, next-gen graphics, next-gen game.
The fact that it's a remake doesn't change that.

This thread asks if it's bad that MS doesn't deliver next-gen games on day one.
And people bring up Halo.
Halo?
You think MS is delivering next-gen by releasing a cross-gen game in 2021?
And then a full next-gen exclusive day one on PS5 don't count.

smh my head jfl

I meant in terms of quality, not in terms of your preference.
Particularly including visuals when I say quality. DS is (and MGS Remake would be) next-gen. Period.
Next-gen resolution, next-gen assets, next-gen graphics, next-gen game.
The fact that it's a remake doesn't change that.

This thread asks if it's bad that MS doesn't deliver next-gen games on day one.
And people bring up Halo.
Halo?
You think MS is delivering next-gen by releasing a cross-gen game in 2021?
And then a full next-gen exclusive day one on PS5 don't count.

smh my head jfl
Spider man, horizon 2 and who knows what else are also cross gen. In terms of quality ? I find every MGS game to be trash so I don’t even understand what that means. Next gen resolution ? I have been playing AAA native 4k games for quite a while on the Xbox one x, though I get why the concept might be new to ps-only gamers.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

It isn't, but since they bought zenimax people think every problem microsoft had and has is fixed, it's gonna be a sad reality.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not really.

Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank are the only next gen games at launch, and this will be for a while. But you have to remember that Demon's Souls is the same game we know more than a decade ago, just with a different skin, and Ratchet and Clank is fun, but not a big deal. Everyone will be playing third party games on the next gen console that are going to launch on past gen consoles, and they're not that good in comparison with it.

Everyone was expecting that Halo Infinite was the true next gen game. Was going to be the greatest thing since the original game on the original Xbox... than it wasn't, and is never going to be because of what everyone saw. It was the best move to delay, still, it was about the "lesser evil" than the real thing.

Also, for Playstation dumb fanboys, God of War still is not confirmed as a real PS5 game. Could even be a PS4 game launched exclusively for PS5. Just the developers know this shit, so don't bitch about it

Top Bottom