• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it acceptable that MS is releasing the Xbox Series S/X without a big AAA first party exclusive? Does it set a bad precedent for the industry? Poll!

Is it unacceptable to release a console without a big AAA first party exclusive? Wrong precedent?

• Total voters

xn0

Given Covid messed everything up I can accept it. Although Halo Infinite's mismanagement screwed everyone:

<Monster Energy Halo Infinite 2XP promotion that expires before the game launches...>
zMQ93e0.jpg

I will be testing lots of games that I did not get to play thanks to the SX BC and playing them with stable framerates. Plus Yakuza Like a Dragon and The Medium will keep me occupied

Yoboman

Disagree.

One company did its homework (as it should) and has AAA exclusives ready for launch, both for the casual and hardcore. Demon Souls Remake is the best looking next-gen game out there. Miles Morales is not far behind. Sackboy's Big Adventure is your casual family friendly co-op platformer, and then you have Destruction All-Stars for the teens that want online action. All of those games took 2+ years or so in the oven to make. Again, one company planned well, the other did not due to their poor management and incompetence - starting at the very top. It's as simple as that. Various eggs on various baskets.

A lot of damage control going on from children throwing all sorts of adjectives to Sony games in order to validate their choice and make themselves feel better about said choice. Resmasters, dlc, small games etc are all damage control salt shakers to hide the big fat elephant in the room - there is nothing coming out for the Series S/X that set it apart from the competition other than the brand logo on the plastic box (and that's just sad). As @Bog several posts above correctly points out - this console feels like a graphics card release. Just imagine for a second if they had those Sony games exclusive to Xbox for their launch, and the shoes were flipped. If you think the tune wouldn't be a 180 reversal you're joking to yourself. Unfortunately for some, FUD and narratives are not games. If it were, it probably would sell very well on a particular platform.

Microsoft's marketing has been quite successful in changing expectations in the brains of certain gamers.... so much so that you have people marketing BC for a full year as if it's a proper substitute for new games. Now I can't fault Microsoft for hustling but it's kinda sad some do fall for the cheap salesman play. If you told a kid on a playground in the late 90s that the best and only reason to own a PS2 over the competition was the fact that you could play PS1 games on it they would have laughed and bullied you on the spot - for being a god damn moron. And the PS5 is doing it too - bigger library to boot as well - so really, the only thing left is undying loyalty. Going by the poll voting, hopefully the voting is not representative of the future we're headed in...... It's however unsettling that a company with such following can get by doing the bare minimum. The conditioning to expect less is finding space in people's brains - marketing can be a helluva drug. The thread did not disappoint in that regard in getting those opinions out .....see what the mood for some is.
Oh I definitely agree that Sony was well prepared, and having Demons Souls and Spiderman at launch is huge. But its no coincidence that those are the launch ready games. Miles Morales will be great but it will be less content rich than Spiderman 2 would be. Demons Souls has a whole existing game they just need to replicate as a tech showpiece

These will be great launch titles. But your full AAA releases next gen will take longer in the oven. Sony identified this and got software ready, MS didnt.

semicool

Banned

Barakov

Gold Member
I mean, it's definitely not great. Having Halo Infinite would've lessened the blow that MS had nothing at launch. But 3rd party games and BC should keep people busy until 2021.

Spokker

I guess it's acceptable because I pre-ordered one. I honestly don't even know what Series S\X games are coming out for the damn thing. I've only been focusing on how it runs Xbox One games haha

There must be a lot of young people on this forum. There have been some barren ass launches before. This one seems fine with third party alone. Just let me secure a pre-order damnit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There must be a lot of young people on this forum. There have been some barren ass launches before. This one seems fine with third party alone. Just let me secure a pre-order damnit.
Wasn’t the snes launch literally pack in super Mario world, pilotwings and hole in one golf? At least I think that was Canada.

Wasn’t the snes launch literally pack in super Mario world, pilotwings and hole in one golf? At least I think that was Canada.

Pretty much all we played for SNES launch was Super Mario World and Pilot Wings was a cool distraction with its scaling tech. Imagine if today, Sim City was your third option.

Last edited:
I'd rather they release a good game then a rushed game. If it takes some time to get Halo where it needs to be then so be it. Also, GamePass is more the star of the show to MS than Halo is. I imagine they look at access to 100s of games as bigger than one exclusive. Plus there is still a couple months before launch and MS seems to be following a plan. I wouldn't be surprised to see more announced.

rapid32.5

I might actually finish some of my backlog and enjoy Witcher 3 in 4k at 60 fps. Cyberpunk will be next, if only we had time to finish all the games. I'm not excited at the idea of paying 70$ for PS5 games. I might as well wait a few years.

Last edited:

Jeeves

How dramatic. Companies make launch titles for their own systems to drum up interest. Any company with the capability would want to do it, and that's not going to change.

If any of the three could "get away" with not doing it, it's Microsoft, since they're the least known for their first-party. But they're launching like this out of necessity, because they can't afford to give Sony a head start, and the launch title they had planned needed more time in the oven.

Nintendo can afford to delay a console for a launch game because A: Their consoles live and die by their first-party output, and B: They don't compete as directly with the other two.

Nintendo can afford to delay a console for a launch game because A: Their consoles live and die by their first-party output, and B: They don't compete as directly with the other two.

Out of the 3 market players, Nintendo is the weakest, and the most prone to lose the most if they screw up. So when the Wii U failed, and the vultures started circling over their heads calling for a mobile pivot and for them to go third party, it took a lot of balls to wait for the proper time to have both the hardware and software ready. It's Microsoft's ability to bleed billions and hide them on their financials that allows them to coast like this. Not to mention a culture aspect where it's more important to meet Sony at release with hardware than with games. To fail to deliver to their diehard fans who have stuck with them for so long despite not getting treated right......oofff. Maybe it's because of that - getting rewarded for incompetence continually that MS feels like they can continue to treat their hardcore with heavy doses of marketing and little drip of actual content, let alone quality content. Overcompensating with marketing is sad. If the Xbox division was like any normal company, and required to disclose its loses, debt, profit etc... it would have gone under like SEGA did a long time ago. But it's Microsoft, infinite 1 ups - for the time being. The play being, "until we get it right by some miracle".

Last edited:

[Sigma]

It's a pretty shitty way to start off imo. The fact that they had all their eggs into the Halo basket alone reeks of poor management. Still, it is what it is.

Pantz

They had one and it didn't work out + covid. Feels like we're lucky to get any consoles released this year. Personally I'll be using both consoles for backwards compatible games for quite some time. I've been saving them up to play on the more powerful hardware.

Just imagine being a whiny little squeaker right before a genuine banger like Cyberpunk 2077 is about to hit. We get Cyberpunk a new Yakuza, a new AC, a new Watchdogs, Gears Tactics on console for the first time.... man we are rich with games. Enjoy life a little.

Orky

Banned
Sorry, but what? the wrong precendent for industry players like Sony/Nintendo?

But Sony is doing the exactly the same. They are not launching with a first party AAA exclusive game?!
DS is a ps3 Game. Spider-Man is crossgen and also not really AAA.
Someone should make a consent trolling thread about Sony then. It’s the same situation.

pixelation

All that bragging they have done about DA POWAAAAHHH!!!, and nothing truly next gen to show it off come launch. The thrill of getting a new console is getting home, setting it up and seeing games that couldn't possibly be done on the previous consoles... you won't be able to do that with the XBSX (unless you buy it after MS starts releasing next gen exclusives).

It's absolutely acceptable. You adapt to the situation you're put in. That back log means a lot when you're on Xbox waiting for those exclusives to drop. Those exclusive means a lot when you're on PS, waiting for more exclusives and an answer to the value of GamePass. Most people make justifications for their choices or purchases, people do that every single day, shits normal. It's all good in the end.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Wait, wait. what bad precedent ?

The worst case scenario, they release console and there are no games to play on the new machine, right. So is it Gamers loss or companies loss ? They would never on purpose release a console if there are no games to be played. I assume when they do, they have little choice come the big picture.
There will always be games to play right because these companies are greedy like all.

edit: ah shit. double post.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Wait, wait. what bad precedent ?

The worst case scenario, they release console and there are no games to play on the new machine, right. So is it Gamers loss or companies loss ? They would never on purpose release a console if there are no games to be played. I assume when they do, they have little choice come the big picture.

There will always be games to play right because these companies are greedy like all.

Jeeves

Out of the 3 market players, Nintendo is the weakest, and the most prone to lose the most if they screw up. So when the Wii U failed, and the vultures started circling over their heads calling for a mobile pivot and for them to go third party, it took a lot of balls to wait for the proper time to have both the hardware and software ready. It's Microsoft's ability to bleed billions and hide them on their financials that allows them to coast like this. Not to mention a culture aspect where it's more important to meet Sony at release with hardware than with games. To fail to deliver to their diehard fans who have stuck with them for so long despite not getting treated right......oofff. Maybe it's because of that - getting rewarded for incompetence continually that MS feels like they can continue to treat their hardcore with heavy doses of marketing and little drip of actual content, let alone quality content. Overcompensating with marketing is sad. If the Xbox division was like any normal company, and required to disclose its loses, debt, profit etc... it would have gone under like SEGA did a long time ago. But it's Microsoft, infinite 1 ups - for the time being. The play being, "until we get it right by some miracle".
Microsoft might find that they can scrape by with no big launch game, but this launch certainly isn't going to be setting some precedent for success. There are no executives out there salivating at the thought of not doing all they can to make their next console launch a success, if that's what you're imagining.

DavidGzz

Spread the games out, I say. My hands will be full this holiday and I think next year will keep the hits coming. So unacceptable...

This isn't setting a industry precedent. They had a game ready for launch in Halo Infinite.

They were treating it like Sea of Thieves where it will come together some six months down the line. Afterall this is concept of GAAS.

But I think they don't have the heart to be subject of relentless memes. This is xbox flagship and makes for a primary target for fanboys.

Its a good thing actually. They won't try to push out games unfinished.

Coming from SONY Defence Force this is laughable. What big AAA 1st Party game did the PS2 have for its launch... That's right Fantavision !!!.
Sony fanboys really are something else

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
  • Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
  • DOA2: Hardcore (Tecmo, Fighting)
  • Dynasty Warriors 2 (Koei, Action)
  • ESPN International Track and Field (Konami, Sports)
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding (Konami, Sports)
  • Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
  • Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
  • FantaVision (SCEI, Puzzle)
  • Gun Griffon Blaze (Working Designs, Action)
  • Kessen (EA, Adventure)
  • Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)
  • Moto GP (Namco, Racing)
  • NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Orphen (Activision, RPG)
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master (Take-Two Interactive, Simulation)
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway, Sports)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
  • Silent Scope (Konami, Shooter)
  • Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
  • SSX (EA, Sports)
  • Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
  • Summoner (THQ, RPG)
  • Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
  • TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
  • Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
  • Wild Wild Racing (Interplay, Racing)
  • X-Squad (EA, Action)

The PlayStation 2 launched with an all-time awful list of losers, not even a single AAA Sony developed game.
And look what happened: most successful PlayStation console of all time, so this mean XSX will be the most successful Xbox console of all time. Thanks OP!

https://games.avclub.com/the-playstation-2-launched-with-an-all-time-awful-list-1844628877

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
gamepass > big AAA first party exclusive

especially with 3 years of gamepass ultimate running you ~$100

What they should have done is work with CD Projekt to make sure that the next gen version of Cyberpunk is available day 1 on Xbox. But I’m sure it’s more complicated than that so it is what it is.

Redlancet

Banned
Sorry, but what? the wrong precendent for industry players like Sony/Nintendo?

But Sony is doing the exactly the same. They are not launching with a first party AAA exclusive game?!
DS is a ps3 Game. Spider-Man is crossgen and also not really AAA.
Someone should make a consent trolling thread about Sony then. It’s the same situation.
demons soul a ps3 game ? spiderman its not AAA ?in what world?

TBiddy

Generally speaking, I think it's nice how concerned the Sony fans are.

I honestly don't give a shit if there's no "AAA exclusive" available at launch, since it 1) doesn't set a bad precedent for the industry (how on earth did you arrive at that conclusion?) and 2) they will come within a short time span.

MilkyJoe

It's a fucking shit show. They should have had at least one studio working day and night producing some sort of eye candy game to make you want to buy it. As it stands I don't think there's a day one game that's going to make me buy it on release.

For that matter PlayStation can suck a dick too, ain't nothing their either. Both royally shit the bed.

It's worth posting the snippet for launch day, crazy 4K UHD 60fps at launch. There is some fucking great games there and near half on Game Pass. -

November 10
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
Bright Memory ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Ray Tracing )
Destiny 2: Beyond Light ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Dirt 5 ( 4K Ultra HD | 120 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
The Falconeer ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
FIFA 21 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
Forza Horizon 4 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Gears 5 ( 4K Ultra HD | 120 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Gears Tactics ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Haven ( 4K Ultra HD | Game Pass )
Madden NFL 21 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR )
Marvel’s Avengers ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
NBA 2K21 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR )
Observer: System Redux ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Ray Tracing )
Ori and the Will of the Wisps ( 4K Ultra HD | 120 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Sea of Thieves ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Tetris Effect: Connected ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
The Outer Worlds / Peril on Gorgon ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Watch Dogs: Legion ( 4K Ultra HD | HDR | Ray Tracing | Smart Delivery )
WRC 9 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
Yakuza: Like a Dragon ( Smart Delivery )

Solid Bra

The reason of gaming is games, xbox doesn't have the games that i want to play, releasing a gaming console without exclusive games is ridiculous, the extra teraflop isn't a big deal.

I think the thread title does not need too much explanation for the informed gamer. However lets refresh on the thought process. For every console launch we've become accustomed to console manufacturers competing against each other very hard to release the best first party software at launch. They do this in an effort to differentiate from the competition to sell the box. Unfortunately, with the Xbox Series S/X from MS; this will be the first time we see a departure from said practice. If gamers reward the practice by purchasing the box without levying the proper criticism at the manufacturer (and/or hitting them were it hurts - the purse) I personally think this sets a wrong precedent that other industry players may try to emulate in their search for higher profit margins - in other words - to coast and do as little as possible for maximum return. Considering the console industry is an oligopoly of only 3 established players (Nintendo/Sony/MS) the options for gamers are few when they all lower standards in search for profit by copying each other.

Due to poor studio management, and putting all eggs into the Halo: Infinite basket MS is finding itself releasing its next-gen family of consoles without a big AAA first party game. This is a stark contrast to the competition in Sony, that's is releasing the console with multiple AAA first party titles. But more revealing of different culture and values is Nintendo's management and approach when faced with similar circumstances after the failed console life-cycle of the Wii U. What I mean by that is that Nintendo delayed releasing the very popular Nintendo Switch only until it had Zelda: Breath of the Wild ready (a big AAA first party exclusive), despite the Wii U affording them little time to get ready (while facing all sorts of investor pressure to completely change the company's business model). In other words, Nintendo respected and was fearful of their fans expectations, of industry expectations and as such only released when truly ready on both the hardware and software front - despite enormous pressure. Microsoft however is releasing the console without a care for such expectations - and instead trying to shift the attention to other areas. This is of course smart marketing but not necessarily great for gamers as a whole. This is a stark contrast to Microsoft own past with the Xbox 360 under Peter Moore, or Xbox One's launch under Matrick which saw AAA exclusives like Forza Motorsports, Killer Instinct etc.

Regardless of whether you're a PlayStation, Nintendo, or PC only fan (with no interest whatsoever in ever buying an Xbox console), this dynamic should concern you for one big reason. These companies compete against each other and try to emulate each other on any area of success (as defined by them - profit). In other words, not only do they copy what a gamer could consider "best practices", BUT also the bad practices (as long as it fattens their bottom-line). It may look to a gamer like a bad practice to paywall online MP access (Xbox Live and PS Plus) but to these companies it's just another profit play. Doing less for more, or simply doing less for the same - in both instances, if rewarded by hardcore games, only increases shareholder value for these companies for little to no gain to the consumer (gamer).

Do you fear that this will set the wrong industry precedent if rewarded across the board for other industry players like Sony and Nintendo?
Do you care at all despite having no intention of buying an Xbox console?
If you're an Xbox fan do you think hardcore fans as yourself are doing enough to let Microsoft know this is unacceptable to you? Or do you simply don't care?
Is this a reason why you're switching (as a now former Xbox fan) to competing platforms this coming gen and thus that is your way of voting with your wallet (making your voice heard)?
Should Microsoft have done as Nintendo, and delayed launch until both the hardware and software (in this case) was ready?

Feel free to opine.

You can still play older games instead of new ones. Aren't you satisfied?

kuncol02

Banned
It's not only acteptable, but it's common. Just look on Sony: PS2 launched without AAA exclusives, PS3 launched without AAA exclusives, PS4 launched without AAA exclusives (Killzone was not AAA game) even PS5 will launch without AAA games.
I was told on that site, that HL:Alyx and Total War are not AAA games, so Demon Souls remake is definitively not AAA game.

Mmnow

It's worth posting the snippet for launch day, crazy 4K UHD 60fps at launch. There is some fucking great games there and near half on Game Pass. -

November 10
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
Bright Memory ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Ray Tracing )
Destiny 2: Beyond Light ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Dirt 5 ( 4K Ultra HD | 120 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
The Falconeer ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
FIFA 21 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
Forza Horizon 4 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Gears 5 ( 4K Ultra HD | 120 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Gears Tactics ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Haven ( 4K Ultra HD | Game Pass )
Madden NFL 21 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR )
Marvel’s Avengers ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
NBA 2K21 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR )
Observer: System Redux ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Ray Tracing )
Ori and the Will of the Wisps ( 4K Ultra HD | 120 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Sea of Thieves ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Tetris Effect: Connected ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
The Outer Worlds / Peril on Gorgon ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery | Game Pass )
Watch Dogs: Legion ( 4K Ultra HD | HDR | Ray Tracing | Smart Delivery )
WRC 9 ( 4K Ultra HD | 60 FPS | HDR | Smart Delivery )
Yakuza: Like a Dragon ( Smart Delivery )
Someone who hasn't owned an Xbox before is going to have an incredible launch day. Forza and Gears 5 alone will be worth the purchase.

Personally I've got Gears Tactics, Sea of Thieves, Outer Worlds and Ori to look forward to, plus a mountain of BC titles that I've been holding off on.

On PS5 I've got The Witcher 3 and four or five titles in the PS+ Collection.

I'll probably buy Valhalla on whatever it runs best on as well.

Frankly anyone that thinks either console is content starved is insane. Then again, I think a lot of these people don't actually play games, they just play the console equivalent of Fantasy Football on these forums.

Redlancet

Banned
It's not only acteptable, but it's common. Just look on Sony: PS2 launched without AAA exclusives, PS3 launched without AAA exclusives, PS4 launched without AAA exclusives (Killzone was not AAA game) even PS5 will launch without AAA games.
I was told on that site, that HL:Alyx and Total War are not AAA games, so Demon Souls remake is definitively not AAA game.
killzone was a AAA, resistance and motorstom were AAA games too,demoms soul too ,i love how people twist reality to move a narrative because xbox series x is launching withouth exclusive games

Generally speaking, I think it's nice how concerned the Sony fans are.

I honestly don't give a shit if there's no "AAA exclusive" available at launch, since it 1) doesn't set a bad precedent for the industry (how on earth did you arrive at that conclusion?) and 2) they will come within a short time span.
what exclusive AAA are coming in a short tie span?

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
If Sony had like 5 AAA first party games maybe. But since it's just a PS3 remake for 80 Euro and a PS4 Standalone DLC for 60 Euro, i think it's not too bad.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
This threads a mess. Not sure what I expected. Don’t think anyone can say the launch titles on Xbox is better than that of PS5. Even the first year on PS5 looks amazing. Each to their own.

Roufianos

It's insane really, terrible management especially as Xbox's 1st party offering has been barren for years. We all thought they were saving the big guns for the XSX launch.

Even something like Forza, how on earth is that not ready?

It makes the Xbox a very hard sale for me as my launch choice. I'd rather support MS but then I'd be giving up Spiderman and DS while getting nothing in return.

ZywyPL

Banned
A great game is a great game no matter if it's a 1st or 3rd party title, and vice versa. And as the statistics show, it's actually the 3rd party titles most people care about anyway. New CoD, CP2077, AC:Valhalla, those are the titles that will be the most played AAA games this holiday season no matter what.

PS. The thread title was interesting at a first glance, but the poll options clearly show it's just yet another FUD/damage control thread by the usual PSSD5 crowd...

Last edited:

acm2000

neither sony or ms have any big titles for launch so its a mute point.

all the good stuff is 2021 but neither of them dared to delay the launch of the machines themselves.

Top Bottom