• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Halloween still going to happen this year?

JordanN

Banned
We're 64 days away from the best holiday of the year, but because of Covid-19, are people going to puss out and become too scared to answer the door?

Ironically, kids are going to be wearing face coverings anyway, so wont this actually have the effect of stopping the virus, or is that not good enough?

abPg2WA.jpg

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Unfortunately I only get one or two trick or treaters each year. But, like always I'll be decorated up with a huge bowl of candy.
Maybe have a bottle of hand sanitizer ready for treaters?

rqGzoy8.jpg

Or if you're rich like Linus, give away sanitizers.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I hope not.
I know I’m going to get a lot of crap but I hate Halloween even as a little kid. Never been trick or treating in my life.
Nothing of value would be lost.

Mikado

Just a heads up if you're in my neighborhood, but I'll be having a COVID-positive person licking every box of raisins I give out. I'm curious to see if people are more pissed about getting the virus or the raisins.

A better test would be to offer a choice: A full size chocolate bar ('rona-licked), or a clean box of raisins.

Ememee

Shouldn’t it?! I had been wondering this too myself and thought “Ok: Everyone will be outside. Spread apart. And wearing Masks”. But I’m sure there will be pressure not to.

Of course, we are doing the same community based one we always do. Police shut down each end of main st and all the businesses and others set up booths to hand out candy. Only difference i guess will be the masks and hand sanitizer this year.

rykomatsu

I'm going to wear my positive pressure T-Rex suit. Ain't no COVID going to be able to blow in from someone's face.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I thought only the US celebrated it while the rest of the world just got drunk in frat parties and sleazy sex night clubs.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Halloween lives within us all. We can make it happen.

MrMephistoX

God I hope its gone by then but I sure AF am not handing out candy this year I will leave a whole bowl outside just in case though.

Ahh, Halloween.. Best time during my youth. Sadly the area where I live it's usually dying due to some certain groups of folks who don't like Halloween because it's "Celebrating the Devil" lol. Now with Covid, I feel like it's not happening here.

GAMETA

Banned
I know a Brazilian who follows Halloween, but it's because he's very influenced by Western TV Shows and loves the candy. Otherwise, he said it's not a really thing where he lives.

The other day though, I remember reading about some other Brazillian lore, and they celebrate some trickster.

Most Brazilians know of Halloween through movies, cartoons and series. We pretty much consume all US entertainment, making Halloween a "wish/dream" of average the Brazilian kid. I've been there too, lol.

The Saci is known mostly because it's part of the old Brazilian culture we study in history classes... much like most of the old local folklore, it has almost zero relevance or influence in culture and tradition nowadays.

We do have some traditions that remain and are celebrated (and they're pretty great), but nothing like Halloween, at least for kids... it's part of the American Dream the US exports so well, after all.

Last edited:

TindalosPup

We never get trick or treaters where I live (a bit too rural), but we get a lot of people driving by so we're decking out the woods for at least a month with spooky things this year so everyone remembers what time it is (I'll be hooking up amps to broadcast Halloween music and sound effects to the hillside as often as possible)

lock2k

Banned
I know a Brazilian who follows Halloween, but it's because he's very influenced by Western TV Shows and loves the candy. Otherwise, he said it's not a really thing where he lives.

The other day though, I remember reading about some other Brazillian lore, and they celebrate some trickster.

In my building it is a full on halloween for the kids of my daughters gen. Most of them are in international schools and follow the traditions of a bunch of countries. I always crank out some metal and do scary make ups to answer the kids. They love it.

Dark Star

I love Halloween, and my neighborhood is perfect for trick or treating, because there is an elementary, middle and high school within a mile radius. So yeah, I get a TON of trick or treaters ringing my door bell every year, and it's always a blast TBH. I enjoy decorating the house at the start of October, and when Halloween night comes I have fun playing creepy/spooky music on my porch. It's going be very interesting how things turn out this year, but most likely pretty sad/lame. Either way, I'll be watching horror movies by the end of the night anyways.

Last year I passed out candy until it got dark, then I went to an awesome haunted house with friends. I wonder if the haunted houses / festivals are going to be open again this year. I wouldn't mind strolling through a maze with a mask on + hand sanitizer as long as social distancing is in effect. You couldn't pay me to go to a metal concert or thrash around in a moshpit like I did a few years back lol, not with COVID-19 still being a thing.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
We will make it work. Halloween is a huge deal in our neighborhood. We have had am arms race of decorations for years and many people drive out just to bring their kids through.

cryptoadam

Banned
Someone explain please

This is a "protest" at Ted Wheelers house who is the mayor of Portland.

So remember the left says you cant go to school work funeral weddings or have Halloween because its so dangerous. But you can protest by having a concert and block party though.

Top Bottom