• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dualsense controller's new tech trickle down from potential PS VR II

So GAF, its no secret sony is talking a lot about immersion, weather it be audio or new tech for their controller. To me it looks like Sony it taking very seriously new features in their gamepad, so much that they broke tradition and redesigned it.

Now, all this tech like adaptive triggers and haptic feedback is not exactly cheap to develop. Could be that it's trickle down tech from their PS VR II controllers that are in development and not shown to public yet? To me it looks like Sony is betting big on VR next gen.

Also am I the only one who sees a very similar design language between dualsense and PSVR?

MHubert

I think I remember some talk about the controller tech being ready by the time Pro launched, so it might be the other way around, atlhough I'm sure Sony planned to use the tech in tandem with their other products from the get-go.

Last edited:
So GAF, its no secret sony is talking a lot about immersion, weather it be audio or new tech for their controller. To me it looks like Sony it taking very seriously new features in their gamepad, so much that they broke tradition and redesigned it.

Now, all this tech like adaptive triggers and haptic feedback is not exactly cheap to develop. Could be that it's trickle down tech from their PS VR II controllers that are in development and not shown to public yet? To me it looks like Sony is betting big on VR next gen.

Also am I the only one who sees a very similar design language between dualsense and PSVR?
That's my first thought as well - the design aesthetics is very similar to that of PSVR (and Astrobot?)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think we can draw the reasonable conclusion that there will be a firmware update for PSVR that enables it to pick up the controller rather than the light. I wonder if that's why the first iteration is white? To make it easier to pick up in a darkened room?

I think we can draw the reasonable conclusion that there will be a firmware update for PSVR that enables it to pick up the controller rather than the light. I wonder if that's why the first iteration is white? To make it easier to pick up in a darkened room?

There is a light in new controller as well. Its a little less prominent. Since we are speculating about PS VR II, it could be more sensetive, so less obvious light source.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
That's exactly what I've been thinking about: the controller, audio, focus on bottleneck removal. The next thing we learn will probably be: improved response time (which involves both controller lag and rendering lag). We already know they want to render some parts of the display faster/more often than the peripheral vision (alleged eye-tracking sensors in their next VR headset so Sony's version of VRS). I'm not a VR fan but if it pushes technology further also for other applications, why not.

If you play in darkness, nothing's going to help you track it, unless you have some non-visible wavelength light source like UV (which would work well with a white controller but I don't believe it's going to be just one colour version). Besides, one tracking point is not enough for proper calibration. But don't forget that Sony controllers also have gyroscopic sensors inside.

Zannegan

There is a light in new controller as well. Its a little less prominent. Since we are speculating about PS VR II, it could be more sensetive, so less obvious light source.
Or it could have a downward-facing camera built into the headset to track the hands relative to your head only. Breaks down when your hands are above your head, but maybe gyros are good enough for that...

...or maybe my idea's just bad. lol

yurinka

I think this 3D audio, adaptative triggers and haptic feedback features for sure will increase the inmersion in games. And absolutly they will work great to play on a tv, but they also seem to be designed to be a part of their PSVR2 experience, that I assume would be released 2 or 3 years after the console.

In addition to this the pad aesthetics seem pretty similar to the PSVR, another clue that they may be happy with it so may continue with their VR strategy somehwere in the future too. I don't see PSVR2 to be released at PS5 launch, because to make and market a console and its games already requires a ton of budget and work.

So I expect something like that:
-Holidays 2020: PS5 release
-Holidays 2022/2023: PSVR2 release
-Holidays 2023/2024: PS5 Pro release

Last edited:
Or it could have a downward-facing camera built into the headset to track the hands relative to your head only. Breaks down when your hands are above your head, but maybe gyros are good enough for that...

...or maybe my idea's just bad. lol

One thing I absolutely want PSVR to do is sort these engineering issues while bringing some standardisation to industry.

Currently there are way too many different approaches taken by headset manufacturers, they vary even from model to model by same maker.

One of the reason why I am yet to get into VR. Which one to get? And how long before it gets outdated?

I think this 3D audio, adaptative triggers and haptic feedback features for sure will increase the inmersion in games. And absolutly they will work great to play on a tv, but they also seem to be designed to be a part of their PSVR2 experience, that I assume would be released 2 or 3 years after the console.

In addition to this the pad aesthetics seem pretty similar to the PSVR, another clue that they may be happy with it so may continue with their VR strategy somehwere in the future too. I don't see PSVR2 to be released at PS5 launch, because to make and market a console and its games already requires a ton of budget and work.

So I expect something like that:
-Holidays 2020: PS5 release
-Holidays 2022/2023: PSVR2 release
-Holidays 2023/2024: PS5 Pro release

I assume if sony really wants to make PS5 'VR centric', there will have to be big software push. To make it more mainstream.

As for release date, let's hope they take their time and release a complete, compelling product.

yurinka

I assume if sony really wants to make PS5 'VR centric', there will have to be big software push. To make it more mainstream.

As for release date, let's hope they take their time and release a complete, compelling product.
I think PS5 won't be 'VR centric': all these sound and controller features will also help when playing on TV, but since one of the most amazing features of VR is the super inmersion, to get these inmersion boosts from the controller and audio will definetively help VR too, since they are the things that the headset itself can't do.

I assume that the PSVR2 headset should and would focus on the weakest points of the first PSVR:
-Wireless setup: all these wires and stuff were a pain in the ass
-No camera connected to the tv: if needed, smartphone-like cameras would be in the headset
-Great resolution: 4K display and some extra tricks to make it look even better
-Less bulky and heavy: not a PSVR specific issue, more a general VR one. But the lighter and smaller the better
-Some stuff to reduce the dizzyness and related issues for some people
-Provide more great VR games: buy someone like Ready At Dawn or From Software, who in addition to great AAA games can provide some great VR experiences

I think PS5 won't be 'VR centric': all these sound and controller features will also help when playing on TV, but since one of the most amazing features of VR is the super inmersion, to get these inmersion boosts from the controller and audio will definetively help VR too, since they are the things that the headset itself can't do.

I assume that the PSVR2 headset should and would focus on the weakest points of the first PSVR:
-Wireless setup: all these wires and stuff were a pain in the ass
-No camera connected to the tv: if needed, smartphone-like cameras would be in the headset
-Great resolution: 4K display and some extra tricks to make it look even better
-Less bulky and heavy: not a PSVR specific issue, more a general VR one. But the lighter and smaller the better
-Some stuff to reduce the dizzyness and related issues for some people
-Provide more great VR games: buy someone like Ready At Dawn or From Software, who in addition to great AAA games can provide some great VR experiences

I would like them to make these changes. Also give us controllers that would be good enough for any types of games.

'VR centric' is perhaps a strong term. Of course regular games will be their bread and butter.

I think console, controller, VR headset will look like part of a system and will be marketed together. And they WILL have games so anyone interested could get into VR.

I consider this to be a significant change in how VR is handled in PS4 era.

yurinka

I would like them to make these changes. Also give us controllers that would be good enough for any types of games.

'VR centric' is perhaps a strong term. Of course regular games will be their bread and butter.

I think console, controller, VR headset will look like part of a system and will be marketed together. And they WILL have games so anyone interested could get into VR.

I consider this to be a significant change in how VR is handled in PS4 era.
Yes, I think VR will be secondary for them: I think they will focus on AAA TV games, PS+ and PS Now as primary, and VR will be secondary in PS5 but more important than in PS4.

In the list I forgot to mention to release a VR focused controler to replace Move that would properly track fingers for VR specific games that can't be controller better with a DS. I remember they pantented a certain camera related stuff and bought a related company. So maybe they release like an evolved version of Oculus Touch controllers with great camera/sensors to flawlessly detect hand/finger gestures.

This new controller would be bundled with the headset, and there would be a bundle including the console too. Since I think PS5 will be released at $499 and PSVR2 would be released maybe 3 years after the PS5 release, maybe the console will also get its first serious price drop around then. $399 console, $299 PSVR2+VR controller and $599 console+PSVR+VR controller+DS bundle.

Last edited:

gspat

The DS4 light has aftermarket stickers available that drastically reduce the size and output of the light, but the controller still works just fine for VR with those applied.

If the DS5 is compatible with the PS4, maybe the light bar equivalent light is IR? Most all cameras pick up IR very well. That would maybe allow PSVR v1 to work with DS5 as well?

INC

Just release with different controllers, like a quest/rift

Rather have dedicated controllers than trying to shoe horn on old tech or the new ds5

Top Bottom