• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else truly sick of regular "rumble"?

dave_d

I personally like my controllers to carry some weight to them. Otherwise, it just gives me the impression that I'm holding something cheap.
That's totally fair. I mean some people like more weight in their steering wheel when they drive and less power steering. (Admittedly one of the nice things about modern electric boosted power steering is you can do that.)

_Ex_

The fuck are you on about? I'm not defending anything, just stating that what you said made no sense.

I'll make it make sense for you then. The first time someone plays a game with rumble, they don't know what instances in the game will cause the controller to rumble. It just happens randomly and spasmodically in the player's perception. Eventually they learn what things in the game cause the rumbling, and a pattern of expectation is created. But initially, every new rumble instance is random in the player's perception. Also, rumble fucking sucks and I'd gladly spit on its grave.

Rumble peaked with Star Fox 64.

The only time I noticed it making a gameplay difference for me was Rocket League -- controller rumbles when you boost. They turned the default of that to 'Off' in an update a couple years ago and I had to turn it back on, my brain was so used to it being an indicator of when I ran out of boost. This was after 600+ hours of gameplay though.

Nothing is worse than these triggers with resistance on them though. My fingers start getting tired playing racing games.

ByWatterson

Regular Xbox rumble is fine with me, but I can't play any game on Xbox, at all, that has adaptive trigger support on PS5.

So even if COD shows up in Gamepass, can't do it. Need those triggers in campaign, man. The driving in Cyberpunk, the take-off and ship movement in No Man's Sky. Total revelations.

damidu

haptics is definetly the natural evolution of the tech, dualsense sealed it.
this will be the last gen you see "regular" rumble around.

Last edited:

Bridges

Nah, if my Xbox controller batteries are low and the triggers no longer rumble it feels very bad. It's one of those things I do not think about, but when I don't have it I notice.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Xbox controllers this gen are just outdated. It's not like haptics are new, they've been in Apple devices for almost a decade at this point, and the Switch joycons have it. They don't even have a gyro in them either. It's just time to get with the program.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Regular Xbox rumble is fine with me, but I can't play any game on Xbox, at all, that has adaptive trigger support on PS5.

So even if COD shows up in Gamepass, can't do it. Need those triggers in campaign, man. The driving in Cyberpunk, the take-off and ship movement in No Man's Sky. Total revelations.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Rumble never bothered me but it was not a deal breaker either. I do like haptic feedback from PS5 and Switch. Old rumble should just go away with the old gen.

It always depends on how it's used. Some games are good at it, others just have it generically vibrate when something happens so it doesn't leave much of an impression. That goes for normal rumble and haptic.

A good example of normal rumble being used wisely is in Dark Sector on PS3. When you highjack the Jackal mech, as you're walking the vibrations are powerful and short, making you feel the impact of each step.

Hohenheim

It’s really bad in lies of p on pc with series controller.
Wonder if it’s better on ps5
Lies of P feels fine on PC with the 8bitdo pro xbox controller. But it's flying out of the window tonight I keep failing against the boss i'm stuck on!

Rumble in general is not something I care too much about. The adaptive triggers on dualsense was great in Returnal, but i'd rather play that with k/m if I hadn't already played and would play it for the first time now that it's on PC.
And I prefer the xbox controller because of the feel and layout although the Dualsense have more "sophisticated" rumble.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lies of P feels fine on PC with the 8bitdo pro xbox controller. But it's flying out of the window tonight I keep failing against the boss i'm stuck on!

Rumble in general is not something I care too much about. The adaptive triggers on dualsense was great in Returnal, but i'd rather play that with k/m if I hadn't already played and would play it for the first time now that it's on PC.
And I prefer the xbox controller because of the feel and layout although the Dualsense have more "sophisticated" rumble.
Same here. I am on one of last bosses and holy shit f that

Soodanim

Gold Member
I disable rumble. Just not a fan of the additional feedback, I find it distracting and never in a positive way.

That said, I've not actually played with more modern rumble that presumably has a touch more subtlety to it, but even then I think I prefer the DS5's adjusting triggers to any vibration when it comes to immersion and features.

I still maintain that when the Valve guys came here to ask for feedback about the Steam Controller, I was the one that requested a way to disable the haptics on the pads. Don't need it, don't want it.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's a useless feature no matter which controller it's on. "The tippetty taps in the palms of my hands through this hard plastic controller feel so realistic that it actually feels like rain!" Pls

El Muerto

I never pay attention to the regular rumble in controllers as i am used to it after all these years. I do like the haptic rumble in the Dualsense and the Joycons. I do think having a regular rumble in the triggers were a nice feature in the Xbox one controllers. The rumble in the trigger when accelerating in Forza was real nice.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m gonna be honest with you, at beginning haptics was so fascinating but after while I just stop noticing them, just become regular rumble to me.

Famipan

I’m not fond DualSense and its ”audio to rumble” which feels off to me.

I don’t like the controller speaker in DS4/Sense either but Sense vibration feels like the toy-ish speaker.
Maybe I’m just not used to the Sense since I never use it in PS4 games.

But compare the horse riding intro in TLOU2 with Sense snd DS4 and you will notice how better and more realistic the more lower frequency/bass-like DS4 feels over the high pitched, annoyingly tingling Sense. At least in that part.

With that being said, I turn off rumble in most games after trying them out for a few hours.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Rumble sucks dick, I was playing CP2077 yesterday and the rumble would just go on and on with no sense or purpose, actually woke up and my hands hurt.

Dualsense rumble is fine, regular rumble is a piece of shit.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I like the rumble in DualSense and Joy-Cons. Anything else, I can take it or leave it.

HTK

Banned
I wouldn't know its disabled 100% of time since it's inception...so maybe that answers that after all?

Sethbacca

Like what ? I get just about every big ps5 game and I haven’t noticed anything like the Astrobot game uses.
Seriously, the Cyberpunk 2077 implementation on Dual Sense is one of the best i've seen so far. All of the vehicles feel different and the adaptive triggers during acceleration all feel different.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Seriously, the Cyberpunk 2077 implementation on Dual Sense is one of the best i've seen so far. All of the vehicles feel different and the adaptive triggers during acceleration all feel different.

Adaptive triggers are awesome. Most games that use adaptive triggers are a great experience.

But I have cyberpunk on Xbox, ps, and pc. There is no big truly noticeable differences to me. Nothing that trumps stronger normal rumble.

they use rumble so much in Cyberpunk sometimes I’m just like “ geez come on … you are killing my battery! “. Lol 😂

Playing Returnal on PS5 and feeling the raindrops tap the controller is magical. Astro Bot also handled it well.

The 1-2 Switch game where you have to guess the number of balls inside the controller is stunning.

However, rumble on Xbox/PC has little value. I assume everyone here saying that rumble is worthless only plays on those two platforms, or multi-platform games.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Adaptive triggers are awesome. Most games that use adaptive triggers are a great experience.

But I have cyberpunk on Xbox, ps, and pc. There is no big truly noticeable differences to me. Nothing that trumps stronger normal rumble.

they use rumble so much in Cyberpunk sometimes I’m just like “ geez come on … you are killing my battery! “. Lol 😂

There are games that use it in a smart way. Coming from Sniper Elite 5 that I beat yesterday (found it on Extra, wonderful stealth game) the aim trigger, L2, becomes like 2 buttons:

Half-way: Shoulder aiming.
Full: 1st person view.

Also the sound-based vibration is so gentle compared to old rumble. I used to get annoyed by the excessive rumbling on DualShock 4. It's shocking, literally, in some games. Haptic Feedback is pretty gentle in comparison and very good that you can feel things around you which is amazing when implemented right.

I think on the Switch you have haptic feedback or sound-based vibration, right? Or Adaptive triggers?

Last edited:

mdkirby

Having had a ps5 for a year, and loving the dual sense, the ps5 died, so whilst waiting for Sony to replace it I got a seriesX with the elite controller. First game I played was the medium, I found the rumble so awful I disabled it.

The gulf between the controllers is one of the main reasons the seriesX mostly sits gathering dust vs the ps5 that’s used every day.

It’s also the main reason I’m annoyed when microsoft gobble up studios that I like. It means the games those studios make will now be inferior to what they would have been had I bought them on PlayStation.

spons

Gold Member
Rumble is annoying as heck when you put down the controller on a table for a moment and it suddenly starts spazzing out.
I turn it off everywhere.

I like haptics when done well, but I just don't care enough either that I could leave it or take it. I do think that the Series controllers, which while retaining my preferred shape and layout, def. are last place for not including better rumble tech to at least match Sony's offering.

TrebleShot

Nah bro PS5 haptics are a unique feature and I’ll take lower frames and res to play with it.

Almost all games on PS5 use it and I hen you go back to dumb rumble on PC I feel disgusted and cheated.

MarkMe2525

I truly am apathetic to traditional rumble. I tend to filter it out and rarely notice it.
Nah bro PS5 haptics are a unique feature and I’ll take lower frames and res to play with it.

Almost all games on PS5 use it and I hen you go back to dumb rumble on PC I feel disgusted and cheated.
Ok.... 🤣😅

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
People in this thread saying rumble and/or haptics are stupid.

What's stupid is turning down the opportunity for more sensory feedback, unless your argument is that it actually pulls you out of the game. Which is reasonable.

The end state of video games is complete sensory immersion (i.e. a Matrix-like simulation). If you disagree that's where it's always been heading, you're wrong. And having rumble/haptics is a proto-attempt towards that end-state.

Lynkk

How is this stupid? It gives you extra information to feel what your avatar/vehicle is doing.
It's a great feature.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yeah. Ready to move on. I want to be electrocuted. Don't hype shit about your controller until then.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I often play wireless with the dualsense on PC games even those from Sony because the features don't really make that much difference to me.

Crayon

There have been relatively few really good uses over the years. The ps5 controller brings back the novelty, and has a lot more potential, but it's only had a few good implementations, as well. Seems like it's easier to come up with stuff for ds5 though because it's obviously a lot less limiting. Highlight for me was WRC9.

IAmRei

Maybe just me, immersive comes with game presentation for me. Even 2D horror games sometime scares me if done right. Also i mostly turn it of to extend battery nowadays...

NinjaBoiX

I can't think of any time rumble has made a game changing difference. Other than Psycho Mantis using it to move my controller.
If it’s well implemented in racing games it can be really immersive. And actually useful too, it can help to warn of tires losing grip and such.

Top Bottom