• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else truly sick of regular "rumble"?

Just playing through Cocoon on GPD Win 4 and the rumble/vibration motor is horrendously horrid. There is zero nuance to it and it's super noisy, I just had to turn it off. It completely ruins the immersion of the game. I feel the same way about the rumble in the Xbox Elite 2. It's just so painfully old-gen tech that I wish the controllers didn't have it at all.

Is it because I've been spoiled by DualSense and superior haptics or has "rumble" always been this bad?

RagnarokIV

I remember Kojima talking about the "threat ring" in MGS4 being needed as a substitute for vibration (early SIXAXIS days) because vibration was so important to your awareness in MGS. I thought "the fuck is he mumbling about?"

I can't think of any time rumble has made a game changing difference. Other than Psycho Mantis using it to move my controller.

The Dualsense haptics (when done properly) are just amazing, but some games (like COD) don't really implement it very well so it doesn't really feel next gen on those games. I do feel that old gen rumble is waaaay past its prime though, it should of died with the PS4, but we had to wait to PS5 and the Dualsense to get it...it floors me that Microsoft didn't go with any advanced haptics for the Series X/S.

Mowcno

A lot of it has to do with how the software uses it. The strength of the rumble and duration.Sime rumble motors go from decent to unpleasant when they are pushed too far.

I never really card for rumble. Rumble pack was atrocious and made the controller heavy. Other rumble killed battery life in controllers, so I almost always turned it off. HD rumble HS been much better because it’s subtle, but it’s one of the least effective ways to increase immersion. The speaker on the DS4 did much more for immersion than rumble ever did.

Sethbacca

Most games it's pretty low effort implementation, but in cases where the work is put in I dig it. I've been playing Cyberpunk 2.0 and the vehicle rumble is fantastic and provides some great feedback.

Zuzu

Yeah, the rumble technology in Xbox controllers is very agricultural these days. Dualsense has taken haptics to another level and you can really feel the difference when you jump from a well implemented dualsense game to playing a game with the Xbox controller. Hopefully it won’t be too long until MS release their new controller with haptics.

Melfice7

I always had rumble turned off, never liked it.. that is until the dualsense, when devs make an effort its really fantastic

R6Rider

Gold Member
I liked rumble since I played with it for so many years. To the point of playing a game and turning it off makes me play worse. That being said, it's now been completely surpassed.

With haptics and adaptive triggers, anything else just feels worse. Playing a shooting game without the trigger effect kinda sucks and is also the reason I don't even like playing shooters with moue and keyboard. No feedback, just nothing and always feels the same.

The same thing is happening on the VR front. Using VR controllers without these features feels like a huge step back.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

Schmendrick

The best rumble there currently is still comes from good DualSense implementations like you have them in Astrobot.
However, in most games rumble is at best pointless and at worst very distracting. I have it switched off where I can.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Rumble has always had value for gaming controllers don’t wait you’ll see mouse and keyboards with rumble coming.

Loved rumble when they first starting using it to the point it feels weird having nothing when you play a game. The DualSense in particular makes playing on a whole other level when it's used properly. You an instantly tell the difference going back to other older controllers with limited rumble feeling basic.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I liked rumble on N64, but otherwise it's mostly been a disappointment since then.

Haptics are neat, but after a minute I don't notice rumble is even on.

BouncyFrag

Love it on my ps5 controller. When you run in Jedi Survivor you can lightly feel each footstep. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: CZY

KXVXII9X

The thing is, I think the kind of haptics found in Dualsense and other advancements on controllers such as gyro aiming, touch features, and immersive sound from controller should have been more supported years ago. We basically had the same controller set up since the PS2 era. That kind of basic rumble was never really updated since the PS2 era until the Dualsense controller. I wish there was more incentive for the industry to make all these features standard.

StueyDuck

I sometimes just break any electronic unless it has some sort of haptic.

If anyone dares to say otherwise I just kick them in the shins. That's how mad regular rumble makes me.

I just spit generally in the direction of people because I know those plebians have not got their rumble needs in order

_Ex_

Since the N64/PS1 days I always turn off rumble. No desire to have my controller randomly shake in my hands. Always thought this was dumb.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Rumble is cool on wheels to help "feel" the car more. Other than that is useless for me as I don't play shooters on controllers where would make some sense to "feel" the guns.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s really bad in lies of p on pc with series controller.
Wonder if it’s better on ps5

AndrewRyan

Love the dualsense haptics and also the subtly of HD rumble on switch although it's rarely exploited. Also TIL there are gamers who don't like rumble.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's just a mild vibration when something happens. Can't say I have found the dualsense haptics that much different.
Controllers are just sticks and buttons on a piece of plastic, other than a gun trigger they don't actually mimic anything real.

mrmustard

Banned
Never liked all those gimmicks in controllers. Just drains the battery and disturbs immersion. There is a reason why rumble mouses or keyboards never made it.

I've always had controller rumble enabled in all my games, and since I play on a wired controller the battery drain is a non-issue. Games like Halo and Gears of War have very unique weapons and I always enjoyed feeling the 3-burst fire of the Battle Rifle when playing multiplayer or the chainsaw revving of the Lancer as it sliced through unfortunate enemies.

dave_d

I always say the reason I prefer the Sixaxis to the dual shock is because of how much lighter it is because of no ruble hardware and rumble usually doesn't add anything anyway. Admittedly on a controller like the MS Sidewinder Forcefeed back sticks for the PC which do more than simply rumble it can add to the experience but up until recently most controllers didn't have anything like that.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No .. regular rumble is beefier than haptics in switch and ps5 .. they feel like a light tickle in comparison. And I haven’t really felt anything noteworthy out of them except for their initial demo games. 🤷‍♂️

MikeM

I love it. I finished Prodeus on PS5 over PC because the Dualsense was used really well.

Returnal and Astro’s Playroom show that good implementation can fundamentally change your experience with a game for the better.

I always say the reason I prefer the Sixaxis to the dual shock is because of how much lighter it is because of no ruble hardware and rumble usually doesn't add anything anyway. Admittedly on a controller like the MS Sidewinder Forcefeed back sticks for the PC which do more than simply rumble it can add to the experience but up until recently most controllers didn't have anything like that.
I personally like my controllers to carry some weight to them. Otherwise, it just gives me the impression that I'm holding something cheap.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No .. regular rumble is beefier than haptics in switch and ps5 .. they feel like a light tickle in comparison. And I haven’t really felt anything noteworthy out of them except for their initial demo games. 🤷‍♂️
Are you kidding me? Almost every game on ps5 supports dualsense pretty well

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I have never given a fuck about rumble of any kind. I tried dualsense in Returnal, and while neat, I switched back to m+kb in like 10 mins.

Top Bottom