• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anybody else struggling to get pumped for anything that isn’t PSVR 2 related at the moment?

K2D

Banned
Last edited:

Markio128

I am pre-ordered and pumped as well. I'm excited to play GT7 on a direct drive wheel in VR. Hate charging my quest, so I'm glad to have the cable. This is going to be a lot of fun.
I was racing on one of the Tokyo tracks last night in my Sierra Cosworth, with a day to night cycle, and kept thinking, this would be awesome in VR.

I grabbed No Man's Sky when it was like $10 and never touched it. Now the first time I play it will be in PSVR2. Also looking forward to GT7 since I bought a wheel/pedal setup for it not too long ago. Then there's Horizon and RE8. I'll probably get Pavlov while waiting for Firewall Ultra. Also grabbed After The Fall for cheap recently. I already have a lot lined up for Day 1. Can't wait!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

K2D

Banned
It's heavier than the quest 2 even though it has no battery? That's kind of strange, but at least it should be more balanced.

My gripes with psvr were lack of room awareness (fixed with cameras) and humidity when playing the likes of Beat Saber. It'll be interesting to compare the two.

Wonko_C

I've never been into Harry Potter and the movies have long come and gone, so it is perplexing to me that the Hogwarts game has gained so much traction.

I'd give that game a shot if it was playable in VR, The Wizards made me feel like a badass medieval Dr. Strange making motions and gestures
Uh, no, if anything I'm annoyed at Sony wasting time and resources on it and worried Team Asobo's next Astrobot game will be another VR exclusive. It's the ultimate gimmick of gimmicks -- cool to try for 20-30 mins somewhere and then back to the real games.
This was my Astro's Playroom experience in a nutshell, neat for 2 levels but all it made me do was crave a replay of the real thing.

But I wouldn't worry about Asobi Team's next game, it will likely be playable in both styles.

Crayon

I can't believe it's less than a month now.
Absolutely. I love me a good quality AAA experience like the rest, but we are just playing bigger/more refined versions of stuff we've already experienced. VR still gives that "Mario 64" moment of the potential that polygons could bring to the table, only this time to fully immersive VR.

If I'm being honest, I'm just as hyped (maybe even moreso) than when PS5 launched. PS5 had a handful of good games at launch, but mostly experiences we could already play. VR is completely different and I'm excited about the possibilities. We also get 30+ games at launch covering a wide spectrum of genres. GT7 in VR. Horizon in VR. RE8 in VR. Those are HUGE games, and we also get a massively upgraded library of legacy titles like NMS, Song in the Smoke, Saints and Sinners, Rez/Tetris, Moss 1 and 2 and MANY others.

It's also the prospect of finally having a best-in-class headset combined with dedicated controllers. PSVR2 is a platform. PSVR was a cobbled together science experiment. Instead of not wanting the hassle of setting up my PSVR despite being interested in games, there's no excuse for me to NOT use PSVR2 a lot more regularly.

What does the first few months of traditional gaming have? Harry Potter made with Ubisoft checklist design and a Dead Space remake? The latter part of the year looks better for flat gaming, but I have a feeling PSVR2 will be my primary gaming platform for 2023. Especially if we end up getting Astro, Hitman, Half Life Alyx, and Blood and Truth later in the year.

Me too. Way more excited than PS5 or PS4 launch. Last one I was excited about (to buy, I was majorly cheering on steamdeck for linux community) was the switch but this is vr. The most interesting thing going on in game technology since.... idk. Shaders?

Dream-Knife

Banned
PSVR2 is probably going to be a flop. It'll get some quest ports, but VR in general doesn't seem to be doing well, especially if you don't like more simple games and indies.

Maybe apple will get VR to take off by making it trendy.

spawn

VR 1 had some good games, but nothing groundbreaking. Nothing that could get me hyped. PSVR2 I'm even less hyped because of the price of entry. Dead Space remake and Hogwarts Legacy both look amazing

Last edited:

Crayon

PSVR2 is probably going to be a flop. It'll get some quest ports, but VR in general doesn't seem to be doing well, especially if you don't like more simple games and indies.

Maybe apple will get VR to take off by making it trendy.

VR has slid towards casual thanks to meta. The whole point of this thing is to break out of that.

There's a way to handwave every game so anyone please spare me that part, but you've already got shit like re8, GT7, nms, and horizon that is simply not happening in the larger VR market because it has a ball and chain on it thanks to every game having to run on a phone.

Dream-Knife

Banned
VR has slid towards casual thanks to meta. The whole point of this thing is to break out of that.

There's a way to handwave every game so anyone please spare me that part, but you've already got shit like re8, GT7, nms, and horizon that is simply not happening in the larger VR market because it has a ball and chain on it thanks to every game having to run on a phone.
But this does nothing to solve that issue. It isn't a stand alone device.

Crayon

But this does nothing to solve that issue. It isn't a stand alone device.

I'm not following. The problem you proposed - "VR in general doesn't seem to be doing well, especially if you don't like more simple games and indies" - has a possible solution in the fact that PSVR2 is NOT a stand alone device. I've I misunderstood, perhaps restate the problem and I can try again.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... but you've already got shit like re8, GT7, nms, and horizon that is simply not happening in the larger VR market because it has a ball and chain on it thanks to every game having to run on a phone.
Interesting thought. Titles like NMS are available on PC VR, and RE8's VR mode will eventually come to PC once Sony's money-hat has timed out. Do you think we'd see this type of VR support in PC without PSVR?

rolandss

On PS5 front there’s not a single game on my radar this year. I’ve said it many times but this gen is overall disappointing for Sony. Nothing but PS4 games that look marginally better and have a 60fps mode. That said I gave it a second shot and I’m enjoying Horzion Forbidden West and working through it. GT7 is still my go to as well and love it.

I did pick up a second hand Xbox Series S recently however in anticipation of Starfield. It’s the only thing I’m hyped for at the moment.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What do we do in other threads....

Ambassador thread? #ad?

Only kidding, looking forward to trying ps vr 2 out but with the leak on quest 3 I know where my moneys going.

Crayon

Interesting thought. Titles like NMS are available on PC VR, and RE8's VR mode will eventually come to PC once Sony's money-hat has timed out. Do you think we'd see this type of VR support in PC without PSVR?

I should clarify the larger vr market I was referring to was basically quest. Hi end vr has been chugging along but quest ran away with the ball. PSVR2 isn't inventing anything new but it's going to be a huge shot in the arm for the high end.

RE8 on pc I doubt. Capcom seems to only do this re vr thing if someone pays up. NMS I already know is on pc so awful example on my part.

Spokker

I'm the opposite. It's not that I'm not interested in the technology. I got a PSVR during a Black Friday sale once year and was impressed despite the limitations of the hardware. The problem is simply nausea. I can't play VR games with a lot of motion or I get hot, sick and it lasts for hours. Just thinking about it starts to bring back that feeling. Sadly, the racing and shooter games are the ones I want to play most.

I can go on any roller coaster and not get sick, but VR is going to be a no-go for me. Sony has sent multiple emails about pre-ordering it and I just ignore them.

Last edited:

sendit

PSVR2 pre-ordered. However, I am more excited for Hogwarts Legacy.

VR headsets I own:
PSVR
Oculus Rift S
Oculus Quest 2

My excitement for VR has tapered. Outside of Horizon, I don't see any compelling games for PSVR2s lineup.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Nope, it’s not even remotely on my radar until there are a shit-ton of games available for it. It looks like it could be cool, but I’m not gambling £500 on a potential bomba.

I’ll pick one up pre-owned in a year or so if the library is compelling enough.

Marvel14

Banned
I feel the same way. It’s probably because modern gaming largely sucks and almost all the games except for having a different skin are exactly the same gameplay and feature wise.

Innovation in gaming is completely gone so I get why you and I would be hyped by some finally innovative hardware that releases waaaaaay too long from now.

Also since I owned the original PSVR which was awesome, I can’t wait to be amazed by the improvements by this sexy kit.
It is possible to love and be excited for a new tech innovation without shitting on what already exists.

I was very excited by PSVR2 but the Op in this thread and this post have me secretly wishing just a tiny bit that it takes a couple of years to really to take off just to.put you on your ilk in your place.

It is possible to love and be excited for a new tech innovation without shitting on what already exists.

I was very excited by PSVR2 but the Op in this thread and this post have me secretly wishing just a tiny bit that it takes a couple of years to really to take off just to.put you on your ilk in your place.
I’m not shitting on what already exists. I just merely state that the industry is out of innovative ideas. And it is factually, there are some indies that try to do different things though but mostly those games are unfortunately not very good because they miss the big budgets. There are always exceptions though of course.

DeepSpace5D

Yep, I mean there’s some really good games coming out in 2023, but PSVR2 is far and away the thing I’m most excited for. It’s going to be my first owned VR set, and considering GT7 was my most played game last year, I don’t see that changing this year with full VR support.

K2D

Banned
What do we do in other threads....

Ambassador thread? #ad?

Only kidding, looking forward to trying ps vr 2 out but with the leak on quest 3 I know where my moneys going.
What's being implied here? (I already know- I'm being rhetorical)

I don't see VR as being in a healthy enough state that we should quarrel about which headset is best. I'm not even sure it can thrive without some sort of bilateral cooperation. Sure pcvr would stay around thanks to modders, but you need the markets that casuals and semi enthusiasts like me gravitate towards (namely I can't be bother with PC, but I want a better fidelity than what stand alone headsets can provide).

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm not following. The problem you proposed - "VR in general doesn't seem to be doing well, especially if you don't like more simple games and indies" - has a possible solution in the fact that PSVR2 is NOT a stand alone device. I've I misunderstood, perhaps restate the problem and I can try again.
Because PCVR is dead and the market for VR is all on the quest now.

Gobjuduck

Banned
PSVR2’s software lineup looks weak, underwhelming even. It’s not many peoples radar. It would need an Alyx level game to get people interested.

VR is not ready, it is still a burden physically and financially. These headsets are better at gathering dust than entertainment.

Most exciting things in gaming this year are Hogwarts, Zelda and Starfield. Those games are going to do insanely well regardless of critic reception.

Personally, Diablo 4 and Redfall are exciting.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm hyped for Hogwarts (besides PS VR 2).

I can't wait and might just get the Deluxe edition to get the early access. But trying my best not to lol.

Markio128

PSVR2’s software lineup looks weak, underwhelming even. It’s not many peoples radar. It would need an Alyx level game to get people interested.

VR is not ready, it is still a burden physically and financially. These headsets are better at gathering dust than entertainment.

Most exciting things in gaming this year are Hogwarts, Zelda and Starfield. Those games are going to do insanely well regardless of critic reception.

You’ve definitely misunderstood my post - any game being released ’after’ PSVR 2 is not even in the equation. I’m struggling with enjoying standard games ‘presently’, due to my excitement for PSVR 2. This is why I only mentioned Hogwarts and Dead Space.

And I can assure you that the lineup is on plenty of peoples radar and is far from weak. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many games release within a month of a new hardware. It’s taken a good couple of years to get to a decent point with PS5/Series consoles.

And as far as Alyx is concerned, yeah, it looks great, but I’d rather have GT7 in VR personally. But opinions.

Reads like someone doesn’t have a PlayStation and has to justify not having one. The copium is strong with this one.

VR is awesome, but the games often lack in various area’s. I also wish it was wireless, but the wire is something you’ll get used to quickly so not a dealbreaker.

In short; I agree with everyone in this thread.

The workaround will be there when someone hacks it in a few days, it’s just a usb c connection so to actually connect it to your pc couldn’t be simpler.

Also, the first one was no garbage at all, but I can see how it would feel that way now with all tech advancements of the last years. And psvr2 is not more expensive, it’s 549 dollars for the complete kit vs 569 for the complete vr1 kit, count 6 years of high inflation with that and the PSVR2 is actually around 25% cheaper than the 1.

I predict Quest 3 will be inferior to the psvr2 in almost every way but lets see when it comes out. If it’s actually good I’ll buy it, but I don’t expect it because the Quest pro is ridiculously expensive and sucks compared to psvr2 specs. There’s no way they’ll make Quest 3 cheap with better hardware than the Pro they sell.
I paid $499 at launch for the complete psvr kit in Fall 2016 . Not sure where your pulling $569 from ? US launch btw. I'd say they are close to an even price with inflation considered.

I paid $499 at launch for the complete psvr kit in Fall 2016 . Not sure where your pulling $569 from ? US launch btw. I'd say they are close to an even price with inflation considered.
Did that kit include the 2 move controllers and ps camera? Sounds like a good price for then, I paid the other amount back then, but I bought the items separately.

Hohenheim

I'm struggling to get excited for PSVR 2. The only launch title I would like to play is resi evil 8, but I already played it. Replaying in VR would be cool, but not the mindblowing experience I got from playing resi evil 7, since that was a fresh experience with the game. I couldn't imagine playing that game outside of VR.

dano1

A Sheep
Couldn't give a shit about PSVR2. I had the first one. What a piece of garbage that was. Apparently this one's even more expensive and there's no workaround to hook it up to pc, which makes it even more useless than the last one. I'll wait for the Quest 3.
Granted PSVR was kind of just bungled together. Controls were horrible. That’s why I sold it. But PSVR2 is a totally different beast!
It probably the overall best VR system available. Quest 3 won’t be in the same league. But still hope it does well

Did that kit include the 2 move controllers and ps camera? Sounds like a good price for then, I paid the other amount back then, but I bought the items separately.
Yeah , pre ordered from Amazon , the core system was $399 for people who already had old ps3 move compatible hardware.

Here's the receipt:
GS2vuqb.jpg

Nah there’s about 13 games coming this year so far that I wanna play plus my absurd long backlog.

I might dabble in VR eventually but just not excited for it at this moment.

Synless

Yeah , pre ordered from Amazon , the core system was $399 for people who already had old ps3 move compatible hardware.

Here's the receipt:
GS2vuqb.jpg
I forgot how expensive the launch PSVR was, I had to check my launch receipt to be sure. PSVR2 is gonna slay the first iterations lifetime numbers.

Last edited:

Here's the receipt:
GS2vuqb.jpg
Wow very nice 👍. Well then it’s around the same price as the bundle yep, which is still a good deal I guess seeing the massive improvements on the new set, and if you compare the price to something comparable on pc.

Hoppa

Is Demeo any good? There’s a discount on the store at the moment, I know it’s DND but is it actually fun to play?

Lex Tenebris

Neo Member
The workaround will be there when someone hacks it in a few days, it’s just a usb c connection so to actually connect it to your pc couldn’t be simpler.

Also, the first one was no garbage at all, but I can see how it would feel that way now with all tech advancements of the last years. And psvr2 is not more expensive, it’s 549 dollars for the complete kit vs 569 for the complete vr1 kit, count 6 years of high inflation with that and the PSVR2 is actually around 25% cheaper than the 1.

I predict Quest 3 will be inferior to the psvr2 in almost every way but lets see when it comes out. If it’s actually good I’ll buy it, but I don’t expect it because the Quest pro is ridiculously expensive and sucks compared to psvr2 specs. There’s no way they’ll make Quest 3 cheap with better hardware than the Pro they sell.

I doubt you'll even have to hack it.

It's a USB C headset with standard tracking and controllers. Steam will probably support it just fine.
Well, we should wait that the device is in the hands of someone who try to reverse engineering it, but premises aren't so good:

TonyK

I had PSVR1, so I'm not hyped about VR. I was hyped for 20 years, dreaming with the possibility of VR games, until I put a VR headset and discovered I get sick easily. No VR for me until it goes directly to brain ala Matrix.

Top Bottom