• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anybody else struggling to get pumped for anything that isn’t PSVR 2 related at the moment?

I would be if I could play all the games I bought for the first one on it.
Unfortunately thats not possible without 3rd party devs taking it upon themselves to make these ports. Sony cant force them. Theres no excuses for devs not to support the PSVR2 with it's new tracking system now, and the fact that it has best affordable specs of any sub 1000.00$ VR headset.

Remember it's not a simple flip of the switch, new headset uses inside-out tracking, with eye tracking, foveated rendering, haptic feedback and 4k resolution at 120hrz; you cant find all of that in one device anywhere else for under 600.00$. Once the sales come, the ports should follow.

Last edited:

Markio128

well i do want to get a PS5 and PSVR2. at the same time, I just know it's going to be like visting the Grand Canyon. Cool and all. But by the next day, you're done and on your way.
To be fair - it is cheaper for me to purchase a PSVR2 than to visit the Grand Canyon. Still, you can’t put a price on memories.

Wonko_C

VR is weird. It's magic the first time, but after using it a while, it loses its luster. Kind of like drugs.
Isn't it the same with video games, though?

Can't help but be very "aware" there's a big old headset mounted on my head and that I'm looking at a screen--not a window into a world anymore. Based on my experience using a Oculus Rift 1, PSVR, and Quest 2 wirelessly on PC.
Never saw it more than that, it has always looked "fake" to me, but still leagues ahead of just watching tiny stuff on a TV. I think what has me hooked is the hand interactions more than the optics themselves. It changed shooters for me. It feels more involving than just pushing buttons.

VR needs to further diminish form factor and increase FOV, but I think it'll never get to the level of immersion that direct neural manipulation tech will be able to reach. And that tech is probably not as far out as people might think
That's... scary stuff. I don't know if I'd let some company mess with my brain like that. (oldmanyellsatcloud.gif)

clarky

Gold Member
No plans on getting one. Had a couple of VR headsets before, they are fun for a few days then get shoved in the cupboard. I'd rather they not release it at all and focus the dev's they have on what they do best, making great games.

Hero_Select

Nope. If Sony had actually made this thing compatible with PC I'd be pretty excited to check it out, but as it stands I'm fine with my Quest and my library of games across it and PC.

PSVR2 doesn't have any exclusive games that I'd spend that much money on to play them.

Wonko_C

This is me, I pretty much ONLY care about VR these days
If it's not a new indie Metroidvania or a fighting game, the game has to be playable in VR or it's just an "unreleased" game to me. In my mind Resident Evil Village will finally release on Feb. 22. The guys who have claimed to have played it are either lying or delusional. :p

That's... scary stuff. I don't know if I'd let some company mess with my brain like that. (oldmanyellsatcloud.gif)
Thanks for responding. Notice I didn't say that I would LIKE neural manipulation because I agree with you on not wanting a company poke around in my brain like that.

Hm...now that I say that out loud, it sounds a LOT like the reaction TV and video games both got when it reached the mainstream. "It'll rot your brain". We can both be old men yelling at clouds, then

Edit: good point on the hand/finger integration. I hope more VR games start using that. Definitely a game-changer

Last edited:

Crayon

Yep. I got some really good stuff to play here but vr2 is getting really close and it's messing with me. My only headset is a psvr1 and I would have upgraded long ago if I didn't know this was coming. So there I've pent up my own excitement, and now it looks like the wager paid off so I'm even more happy. Yes, it's all very distracting.

Markio128

Okay, for those that are not pumped (most 😂), is there any particular kind of game if released in VR that could drag you onboard? Or is it just a flat nope?

hemo memo

Gold Member
I have the same problem but for the Switch. 0 interest in anything PSVR2 or VR in general.

Okay, for those that are not pumped (most
😂
), is there any particular kind of game if released in VR that could drag you onboard? Or is it just a flat nope?
None. The tech itself is headache inducing and not suitable for long play. It is an experience you try but that’s it. Technology is very early in my opinion.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Couldn't care less since I don't even have a PS5, but Markio128 Markio128 , do yourself a favor and try Pavlov as soon as you can. I don't usually play multiplayer shooters but this one is basically Counter Strike on VR, with very good weapon handling.

MacReady13

I feel the same way. It’s probably because modern gaming largely sucks and almost all the games except for having a different skin are exactly the same gameplay and feature wise.

Innovation in gaming is completely gone so I get why you and I would be hyped by some finally innovative hardware that releases waaaaaay too long from now.

Also since I owned the original PSVR which was awesome, I can’t wait to be amazed by the improvements by this sexy kit.
My thoughts exactly.

VN1X

Banned
I feel the same way. It’s probably because modern gaming largely sucks and almost all the games except for having a different skin are exactly the same gameplay and feature wise.

Innovation in gaming is completely gone so I get why you and I would be hyped by some finally innovative hardware that releases waaaaaay too long from now.

Also since I owned the original PSVR which was awesome, I can’t wait to be amazed by the improvements by this sexy kit.
Man I wish I felt this way about gaming.

I've got about 300+ titles sitting in my wishlist on Steam. Nearly a thousand games in my Steam library and a ton of which still unplayed. Hi-Fi Rush just came out which has been absolutely excellent in pretty much every way and am also making my way through Life is Strange 2, Mahokenshi, ANVIL, STALKER GAMMA and many others...

Currently installed:
NXDTRXi.png

And that's just Steam... *looks at Switch in the corner*

Last edited:

Fredrik

Okay, for those that are not pumped (most 😂), is there any particular kind of game if released in VR that could drag you onboard? Or is it just a flat nope?
I’ve played so much Quest 2, native and PC games, and put it on the shelf because of the lack of original from the ground up AAA VR games.

So for me, what’s needed for any new VR headset is proper AAA games made from the ground up for VR, made by the A team of the biggest developers. No more VR modes and smaller B team games, I’ve already tried that and it wasn’t enough.

My #1 favorite VR game and the game that made me buy Quest 2 is still Moss, the first one. Traditional game with a diorama type of camera. I want an old school AAA Tomb Raider in that style with puzzle focus.

Skyrim VR is my #2, it’s mostly a VR mode which I generally don’t like but it really shines when mods are added that remove the floating hands and add physics - HIGGS and VRIK.

Can’t play long that way though because it’s just not comfortable to have a headset on for long periods of time, which is another thing that needs to be fixed in VR in general - headset size and weight.

Markio128

I’ve played so much Quest 2, native and PC games, and put it on the shelf because of the lack of original from the ground up AAA VR games.

So for me, what’s needed for any new VR headset is proper AAA games made from the ground up for VR, made by the A team of the biggest developers. No more VR modes and smaller B team games, I’ve already tried that and it wasn’t enough.

My #1 favorite VR game and the game that made me buy Quest 2 is still Moss, the first one. Traditional game with a diorama type of camera. I want an old school AAA Tomb Raider in that style with puzzle focus.

Skyrim VR is my #2, it’s mostly a VR mode which I generally don’t like but it really shines when mods are added that remove the floating hands and add physics - HIGGS and VRIK.

Can’t play long that way though because it’s just not comfortable to have a headset on for long periods of time, which is another thing that needs to be fixed in VR in general - headset size and weight.
I loved the diorama feel to Moss, so I’m looking forward to playing Book 2. Skyrim I enjoyed on PSVR, but the tech just wasn’t good enough to allow for decent visuals unfortunately. Also, it was the one game that almost made me gag, thought I did get used to it.

As far as headset comfort goes, I believe that the PSVR2 is super light and comfy, so should hold up to extended sessions.

K2D

Banned
I live in a constant state of hype and I am constantly happy...Maybe don't have astronomical expectations when getting hyped and you wont get dissapointed or be miserable about any new released just so you wont get hyped.... That's what sounds exhausting.

As for PSVR2 i could'nt give less of a shit about it.My friend has an occulus quest 2 or sth.Played Half Life Alyx and Beat Saber for a bit and while it's a cool experience I can never see myself switching my traditional gaming setup to that.It's like...ok that's cool now back to the real thing.

Every fucking VR thread..

"But >>I'M<< happy about gaming"

"But >>I<< couldn't care LESS for VR"

Good for you - great job missing the whole point of the thread.

Can't wait for release so I can read threads that drown out the contrarians. Sigh.

Chastten

Banned
Until I can get a Sword Art Online-esque experience with VR, I'm not really interested. And we're a long ways off from that as far as I know.

Having had an Oculus Rift CV1 and pre-ordered a PSVR2 - I am curious more than excited. I have experience with VR and know what it is capable of - this is an upgrade for sure but I know what to expect. I am just as excited for Hogwarts.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time being pumped about anything lately. It's one of these slumps where you start a game and lose interest, try another etc.. Just dont know what to play lately

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
nah. I had plenty of vr headsets. I know the excitement but I've not felt it since the days of dk1 and dk2 honestly.... ok half-life Alyx too.

FeralEcho

I just live in a reality where I enjoy what I like and don’t worry about not enjoying something. I keep an even minded head.
Well yeah,that's it.Hype for something just cuz it's popular is dumb and breeds dissapointment.It's like ordering a salad and being dissapointed it's not beef. I get hyped for the stuff I know I'll like.I feel like people who get hyped and end up dissapointed tend to project their perfect game over that particular game.

I'm not interested but hopefully if people are it takes off and gets some bangers. PSVR felt like a complete gimmick to me but the tech has come a long way.

cireza

That's a no.

I still have to see anything better than my CRT + 8/16/32 bits consoles. I do play modern games, even though the experience is obviously inferior. And VR certainly isn't going to make things any better. But to each its own. Have fun with VR.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
To expensive..rather save and buy an Fanatec DD wheel pedals or on 40 OLED

Rather fix up my apparment and RE4Remake.

Or some nice squat shoes etc.

Last edited:

Elios83

I'm pretty excited about PSVR2 because it will be my first VR experience and there are already many games I want to play (Horizon, GT7, RE8, Kayak, Moss1&2, Fantavision).
But I'm also pretty excited about normal gaming as well with games like Forspoken, Hogwarts Legacy, RE4, Octopath Travelers 2, Yakuza Ishin between now and March alone.
It's a great period. Too bad that with my job, family and other duties the time is so limited.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yea, I'm trying to save.. its going to cost a lot and likely won't be able to enjoy for launch, but that's okay... At least I know it's there... and I can make it a goal.

Indeed my friend. I got a taste with Sport and yeah =) rather have a wheel and pedals first. That's 800€ plus 600€ for VR + who know what for your wheel setup.

But yeah it's a goal

Uh, no, if anything I'm annoyed at Sony wasting time and resources on it and worried Team Asobo's next Astrobot game will be another VR exclusive. It's the ultimate gimmick of gimmicks -- cool to try for 20-30 mins somewhere and then back to the real games.

Fredrik

I loved the diorama feel to Moss, so I’m looking forward to playing Book 2. Skyrim I enjoyed on PSVR, but the tech just wasn’t good enough to allow for decent visuals unfortunately. Also, it was the one game that almost made me gag, thought I did get used to it.

As far as headset comfort goes, I believe that the PSVR2 is super light and comfy, so should hold up to extended sessions.
Moss Book 2 is great, very similar to the first one so if you liked that you’ll like the new one too.

Yeah Skyrim VR can be kinda brutal, running over uneven ground mess up my head 🤢 But besides that and through PC with mods and pumped up visuals it’s pretty amazing tbh. For VR gaming it’s a real bummer that MS bought Bethesda because I think Starfield VR would’ve been amazing and it’s highly unlikely that we’ll see a version like that now.

I don’t know the weight of PSVR2 but strapping Quest 2 tightly to your face for longer sessions is not optimal 😕

Absolutely. I love me a good quality AAA experience like the rest, but we are just playing bigger/more refined versions of stuff we've already experienced. VR still gives that "Mario 64" moment of the potential that polygons could bring to the table, only this time to fully immersive VR.

If I'm being honest, I'm just as hyped (maybe even moreso) than when PS5 launched. PS5 had a handful of good games at launch, but mostly experiences we could already play. VR is completely different and I'm excited about the possibilities. We also get 30+ games at launch covering a wide spectrum of genres. GT7 in VR. Horizon in VR. RE8 in VR. Those are HUGE games, and we also get a massively upgraded library of legacy titles like NMS, Song in the Smoke, Saints and Sinners, Rez/Tetris, Moss 1 and 2 and MANY others.

It's also the prospect of finally having a best-in-class headset combined with dedicated controllers. PSVR2 is a platform. PSVR was a cobbled together science experiment. Instead of not wanting the hassle of setting up my PSVR despite being interested in games, there's no excuse for me to NOT use PSVR2 a lot more regularly.

What does the first few months of traditional gaming have? Harry Potter made with Ubisoft checklist design and a Dead Space remake? The latter part of the year looks better for flat gaming, but I have a feeling PSVR2 will be my primary gaming platform for 2023. Especially if we end up getting Astro, Hitman, Half Life Alyx, and Blood and Truth later in the year.

-thirdeye-

Neo Member
It has been a long wait. I conected the old PSVR to the PC and played some racing games these past weeks, just to quench the thirst. Gran Turismo 7 is installed on the PS5, never even started, just waiting the arrival of next gen VR.
I think you should start it. Just get past the tutorial so you'll be able to jump into the main game once PSVR2 lands.

Iced Arcade

Definitely would check out, love the tech. I enjoy VR a lot but not for big titles, give me short experiences and ill lounge with the TV for big titles.

Price of PSVR2 is so high here in Canada that it's almost comedy.

Reallink

Uh, no, if anything I'm annoyed at Sony wasting time and resources on it and worried Team Asobo's next Astrobot game will be another VR exclusive. It's the ultimate gimmick of gimmicks -- cool to try for 20-30 mins somewhere and then back to the real games.

VR is literally nothing but an immersive display and controllers with radically more advanced features than "real controllers". Any "real game" can be adapted to VR with no content or mechanical changes whatsoever, it's just that developers can't be arsed to do a minimum amount of camera redesign or stereo rendering optimization. There's a sizable modding community on PC that hacks this into "real games" for them. The reverse however is largely not possible. As the number of inputs and interactions in VR games wildly outclasses the capabilities of "real games", they can not be easily converted in the other direction.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite, struggling to get hype for the VR to be honest. I hope it's good though and maybe once it's out and people are playing it I'll get the hype.

angrod14

Don't give an F about VR. Ultra pumped for RE4 Remake and super happy on how Dead Space Remake turned up. Every single gen has been better than the last one for me.

Top Bottom