• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is A.I. replacing aliens/U.F.O.s?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
:messenger_grinning_smiling:

No disrespect intended to either of you, but you both seem to be making my point for me. You both seem to be using your imagination to scare yourselves.

Setting Wikipedia aside for the moment...

You take the A out of A.I., and you're left with intelligence. There is no artificial intelligence. Whether it be man-made or no, like all creatures (creations), they are images of their creator(s).

And there are, I believe, both limitations and no limitations. There's always an "if" that both limits us and breaks beyond our limits. For A.I., we're considering it as probably mostly some form of software, with reliance on hardware, not a whole lot unlike ourselves. I think what is easy to perhaps lose sight of is the speed. And of course, that's where A.I. limitations may (in theory) exceed our own (at least perceived -- this physical form could merely be some type of larval stage). And of course, time is...well, let's not.

Perhaps that's what made a movie like the original Wizard of Oz such a classic. After we're done scaring the shit out of ourselves, you find out there's no one behind the curtain but us.

Everybody Loves Raymond Romano GIF by TV Land

mxbison

I'm not a fan of AI because I think its being misrepresented. I don't see much actual intelligence in it, apart from the ability to trick human cognition (which is what the language modelling side of it does) and the rest can in my view best be described as hyper-automation. Traversing huge data-sets to find meta-data that seems connected to the input parameters and munging it into something that passes as an approximation of what is asked for is not my idea of "intelligence".

Yeah it's not intelligence yet, but there is no fundamental difference between how a human brain works and how a computer can work. Computers are just nowhere near the required power yet.

Of course artificial intelligence won't be influenced by senses, feelings, hormones etc. which may turn out to make it very different than what we expect/hope, but it's possible and will probably be one of the biggest achievements in human history.

Meanwhile stories about aliens have just been decades of bullshit without the absolute slightest hint of proof.

GeekyDad

Yeah it's not intelligence yet, but there is no fundamental difference between how a human brain works and how a computer can work. Computers are just nowhere near the required power yet.

Of course artificial intelligence won't be influenced by senses, feelings, hormones etc. which may turn out to make it very different than what we expect/hope, but it's possible and will probably be one of the biggest achievements in human history.

Meanwhile stories about aliens have just been decades of bullshit without the absolute slightest hint of proof.
Not sure I completely agree with you on that. There is circumstantial proof, at least, that seems to point directly at governments and/or their contractors. So, yeah, no proof of aliens perhaps, but the politics of the morons in government seem to have pulled down their own pants in that regard. Shit that used to be mysterious about U.F.O. s is now becoming pretty transparent. I mean, they've been releasing footage of top-secret flight "sightings" of crafts and anomalies that probably would have no chance of being seen by the public without the aid of higher-ups. Even if they fool a few folks, they ain't fooling other government officials with their spy programs. Those guys are probably laughing out loud at this sort of shit. Heck, they might even be doing it in concert with each other to bypass certain laws that restrict it otherwise. Who knows. That's a whole other mess...

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

There actually seems to be more UFO hype than ever to me, with the declassification projects and all the podcasters going gaga for it and interviewing pilots etc

But AI is also firmly in the limelight as the buzzword as well

mxbison

Not sure I completely agree with you on that. There is circumstantial proof, at least, that seems to point directly at governments and/or their contractors. So, yeah, no proof of aliens perhaps, but the politics of the morons in government seem to have pulled down their own pants in that regard. Shit that used to be mysterious about U.F.O. s is now becoming pretty transparent. I mean, they've been releasing footage of top-secret flight "sightings" of crafts and anomalies that probably would have no chance of being seen by the public without the aid of higher-ups. Even if they fool a few folks, they ain't fooling other government officials with their spy programs. Those guys are probably laughing out loud at this sort of shit. Heck, they might even be doing it in concert with each other to bypass certain laws that restrict it otherwise. Who knows. That's a whole other mess...

What proof?

8 billion people on earth, most of them with a phone in their pocket, and somehow this footage never ends up on the internet but always exclusively on Area 51 laptops.

Sounds to me like they just want to justify their budget lol.

GeekyDad

What proof?

8 billion people on earth, most of them with a phone in their pocket, and somehow this footage never ends up on the internet but always exclusively on Area 51 laptops.

Sounds to me like they just want to justify their budget lol.
Not sure we're talking about the same thing. :unsure:

Top Bottom