• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is A.I. replacing aliens/U.F.O.s?

GeekyDad

Was watching the Kermode & Mayo review (which I'll post below) of the new Mission Impossible movie, which seems to have an A.I. ...thingy as its main villain. And they immediately made mention of how they foresee this sort of thing becoming a new Hollywood focus in movies to come. Makes sense. A.I. is a much talked about thing these days.

Which made me wonder, is A.I. basically a surrogate for aliens? As a society, I think we've pretty much accepted the idea that we're likely never going to see sentient alien life. So, is A.I. a new way for us to satiate that hunger for mystery?

[And the aforementioned video review of MI:]

merlin_135847308_098289a6-90ee-461b-88e2-20920469f96a-superJumbo.jpg

Everything about this somehow being a "new focus" and the geriatrics in that Youtube thumbnail tells me all I need to know about modern Hollywood.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It’s always been that way.

It’s either the new hit buzz word in tech is the macguffin and some crazy version of a new tech is the bad guy/or used by the bad guy.

Last edited:
AI isn't new.

I haven't noticed an AI trend in movies recently but I don't want aliens to go anywhere. I love some good alien/cosmic horror movies.

The good thing with AI is that it's very much real and we'll soon have to deal with it. I do think aliens exist out there somewhere but they probably don't give a shit about us and if they are already here then they are being kept secret. AI is here and is going to cause real threats to humanity over the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:
I wonder what will happen if they create an AI that is an actual concious being, that is 100 times smarter than Einstein.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, can't have the Russians as bad guys anymore, that's played out. Can't use China or they blacklist you. Can't use radical Islamic extremists, they'll kill you. Cant use any ethnic banana republic dictator, thats colonialism. Can't use evil megacorps, that's too close to the truth.

So you are left with Nazis or A.I., take your pick.

Wildebeest

AI by itself isn't a good enough replacement for aliens in speculative fiction. There has to be some sort of twist like time travel or spooky stuff from other dimensions. Even 2001 had this.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

AI isn't new.

I haven't noticed an AI trend in movies recently but I don't want aliens to go anywhere. I love some good alien/cosmic horror movies.

The good thing with AI is that it's very much real and we'll soon have to deal with it. I do think aliens exist out there somewhere but they probably don't give a shit about us and if they are already here then they are being kept secret. AI is here and is going to cause real threats to humanity over the next 5-10 years.
No, definitely not new, but it's a pretty hot topic right now. And I think the reason why it is so hot right now is because of how real it's finally starting to become...according to some, anyway. One of the most respected (definitely by me) minds in the past 100 years, Noam Chomsky, doesn't see the current tech as actual A.I. That also could be the reason, if what he says is true (and I'm guessing deep down, most of us probably agree it is), why we can use A.I right now as an easy substitute for aliens in edible media. Because if we're not really there yet, we can still imagine. And that is a drug we all love and use.

Ribi

When do we start using AI to solve conspiracy theories and locate hidden things on Google maps

jason10mm

Gold Member
When do we start using AI to solve conspiracy theories and locate hidden things on Google maps
But how do you teach an ai to look for stuff? Most of what I've seen from Google maps is a soft pattern recognition that inky works for humans. If AI can't even solve the "click on a bus" captcha stuff it ain't finding Mayan ruins or whatever.

Soodanim

I wonder if someone will make a movie where in the future the AI's machines have taken over and nearly wiped out humanity except for a few survivors. Then the AI send one of their killer robots back in time (I know, time travel, but hear me out) to make sure the leader of the resistance is never born. If the mother of the resistance leader survives the first one they could even make a sequel.

GeekyDad

I wonder if someone will make a movie where in the future the AI's machines have taken over and nearly wiped out humanity except for a few survivors. Then the AI send one of their killer robots back in time (I know, time travel, but hear me out) to make sure the leader of the resistance is never born. If the mother of the resistance leader survives the first one they could even make a sequel.
All right, all right...settle down, children.

I'm just sayin'...

But actually, the Terminator movies were probably basically the same thing, another way of satisfying that alien itch. Of course, we're a bit further along in the tech world than we were when that franchise began. So, now there's more gas in the engine, so to speak.

AI makes for a strange villain. What goes on in the "mind" of AI would be so beyond our comprehension that it needs to be anthropomorphic to carry a movie. HAL has a voice in 2001; the Terminators are human-like; the computer in WarGames speaks, etc.

An AI villain in real life would probably manipulate the world in undetectable ways, you know, because being detected makes it less likely to succeed. I want to see or write a story about that kind of AI.

Soodanim

All right, all right...settle down, children.

I'm just sayin'...

But actually, the Terminator movies were probably basically the same thing, another way of satisfying that alien itch. Of course, we're a bit further along in the tech world than we were when that franchise began. So, now there's more gas in the engine, so to speak.
I do actually agree with you in the sense that AI being the real life scary and it being in a popular franchise can easily result in a resurgence of AI antagonists. Hollywood likes safe!

Raonak

Banned
They're the new generic villain to use.

It was Aliens in the 90s
Then got replaced by middle eastern terrorists in the 00s
Then they got replaced by cyber terrorists in the 10s.
Then they got replaced by AI in the 20s

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
AI by itself isn't a good enough replacement for aliens in speculative fiction. There has to be some sort of twist like time travel or spooky stuff from other dimensions. Even 2001 had this.

What if the RA material came from an A.I?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Heed my words, AI will be our best defence against the impending alien invasion.
Most realistic sci-fi movie ever.....

Aliens show up in solar system.

They ping the Earth A.I. network.

In 0.0045 picoseconds the Earth A.I. explains how humans are insanely warlike and will destroy their planet fighting any invasion.

Aliens leave.

Human see a brief flash of light out by Neptune's orbit and get all excited for a day until they get distracted by a Kardashian sex tape.

GeekyDad

AI makes for a strange villain. What goes on in the "mind" of AI would be so beyond our comprehension that it needs to be anthropomorphic to carry a movie. HAL has a voice in 2001; the Terminators are human-like; the computer in WarGames speaks, etc.

An AI villain in real life would probably manipulate the world in undetectable ways, you know, because being detected makes it less likely to succeed. I want to see or write a story about that kind of AI.
When I read that, it made a memory kick in about, I think it was an James Bond movie that maybe also tried this kind of idea. I wanna say it was in the early 80s. And I can't remember if it was the Bond franchise. But anyway, yeah, I think that's what made the movie fail. There was no feeling viewers could attach to the villain. I wonder how they worked that out with this new MI movie. I tend to ignore these types of movies, but considering how much Kermode enjoyed it, I might have to satisfy my curiosity.

StueyDuck

Isn't bad ai Like super played out in Hollywood movies to the point of being cliche

Honestly we could use more ufos

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

When I read that, it made a memory kick in about, I think it was an James Bond movie that maybe also tried this kind of idea. I wanna say it was in the early 80s. And I can't remember if it was the Bond franchise. But anyway, yeah, I think that's what made the movie fail. There was no feeling viewers could attach to the villain. I wonder how they worked that out with this new MI movie. I tend to ignore these types of movies, but considering how much Kermode enjoyed it, I might have to satisfy my curiosity.
they've got a dude doing the AI's bidding and the omnipresence of it is supposed to give a big brother feeling. I get what you're saying and thought to myself, if they had used most anything else, it would have seemed immediately outdated. Wouldn't see it strictly for the way they use AI as a villain, but if you like your action flicks give it a shot

GeekyDad

they've got a dude doing the AI's bidding and the omnipresence of it is supposed to give a big brother feeling. I get what you're saying and thought to myself, if they had used most anything else, it would have seemed immediately outdated. Wouldn't see it strictly for the way they use AI as a villain, but if you like your action flicks give it a shot
Actually, hearing Kermode talk about Cruise doing his own, insane farkin' stunts, I kinda need to see that. That dude is obsessive with his stunts. I remember reading stuff about him going off on other crew members seemingly because they were acting negligent or something like that. Jumping off a cliff with a f****** motorcycle!? Dude's nut! But perhaps the only actor alive today worthy of his salary.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't know. Maybe Hollywood is ready to film PK Dick's VALIS, but it's probably still not cool enough for them.

You are aware of the Ra material right? If so, it's channelled information could be be an future inter dimensional (Alien)A.I.

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Wildebeest

You are aware of the Ra material right? If so, it's channelled information could be be an future inter dimensional (Alien)A.I.

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
It was the plot of VALIS that certain types of "revelations" were beamed into people's heads by a pink beam shot from an entity in space called the "Vast Active Living Intelligence System" and showed information from other times and dimensions.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm still amazed that with all the recent allegations/revelations about ufo retrieval programs and such that its not the biggest topic of discussion around.

I don't know if any part of it is true, whether its a product of individual insanity or some sort of psy-op, but fucking hell... there's definitely something happening.
And I'm sorry but advancements in AI seems less world-shaking then actual evidence of extra-terrestrial technology.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It was the plot of VALIS that certain types of "revelations" were beamed into people's heads by a pink beam shot from an entity in space called the "Vast Active Living Intelligence System" and showed information from other times and dimensions.

I have the book. Should give it a go from your synopsis. It's just that I have a hard time relaxing and reading. I know the reasons I think but yeah.

Anyways sounds pretty parallel to the Ra stuff ♡

Wildebeest

I'm still amazed that with all the recent allegations/revelations about ufo retrieval programs and such that its not the biggest topic of discussion around.

I don't know if any part of it is true, whether its a product of individual insanity or some sort of psy-op, but fucking hell... there's definitely something happening.
And I'm sorry but advancements in AI seems less world-shaking then actual evidence of extra-terrestrial technology.
I don't care how committed that UFO nut billionaire is, all this current wave of "disclosure" is going to do is shake people's faith in the cognitive abilities of the military and media.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"Alien" is such a umbrella term. Annoying. It's origin in the UFO context is extra terrestrial. If one considers the moon as a reflection of our earth; thus a far larger Earth then "extra terra" is still applicable. With that said ET's could still come from other planets ie space and or are interdimensional. So it's still pretty up for grabs what "aliens" we're talking about in regards to the multiple origins of these entities.

I'm personally not knowledgeable about A.I in it's current state. With that said I've heard parts of interviews where the spokesperson for said A.I "progams" don't even know why it sometimes does what it does. And that is irresponsible in regards to letting it moderately (I'm guessing) loose on the public.

I don't see how Aliens or A.I can't be used as a villain as they aren't mutual exclusive and perhaps the same in a way.

(A.I) Is It's at least an interesting concept for a, for instance, Philosophical/Psychological thriller.

GeekyDad

But you kinda answer your question, there. I think people these days are so used to the idea of governments lying to the public, we've grown numb to the "sightings" and such. Plus, it seems far more likely governments are now "embracing" the idea of UFOs because it's an easy out in terms of spying on other nations, their own people, etc. E.T. could be out there, but the numbers ain't lookin' so hot. And as others have said, it's A.I.'s turn again in the batting order. Part of the reason for that is because there's new software and other mechanical components attaching the A.I. moniker to their creations. But I agree with Chompsky's logic: we ain't quite there yet, and that helps maintain the mysterious nature of the topic.

Trilobit

My problem with most depictions of AI in movies is that they so seldom portray it as a super-intelligence. It should be near incomprehensible to us and as alien as someone from the other side of the universe. But instead we get something that spits out stuff that maybe impresses someone fresh from college with a philosophy degree.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

My problem with most depictions of AI in movies is that they so seldom portray it as a super-intelligence. It should be near incomprehensible to us and as alien as someone from the other side of the universe. But instead we get something that spits out stuff that maybe impresses someone fresh from philosophy college.
Why do you feel that way? If we're the ones creating the A.I., it would seem to make sense it would image us is most ways, no?

Trilobit

Why do you feel that way? If we're the ones creating the A.I., it would seem to make sense it would image us is most ways, no?

An AI well beyond the singularity would have as much common with us as we have with ants, maybe even less. It has no biological body to enable it to feel human emotions. It has no parents, siblings or childhood friends. After it becomes completely self reliant and possibly untethered from Earth, I can't see why it would even care about what's going on here with humanity.

Its goals as an immortal being would stretch millions, possibly billions year into the future so we are less than a mayfly in its eyes. Its thought processes would become so alien and its desires unimaginable. What discoveries about existence would it make? Could it enter other dimensions? And so forth.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
An AI well beyond the singularity would have as much common with us as we have with ants, maybe even less. It has no biological body to enable it to feel human emotions. It has no parents, siblings or childhood friends. After it becomes completely self reliant and possibly untethered from Earth, I can't see why it would even care about what's going on here with humanity.

Its goals as an immortal being would stretch millions, possibly billions year into the future so we are less than a mayfly in its eyes. Its thought processes would become so alien and its desires unimaginable. What discoveries about existence would it make? Could it enter other dimensions? And so forth.
See, an A.I. will have software/hardware limits just as restrictive as a physical body. It's not some fully formed and omnipotent intelligence that "hatches" from some super computer, its just a really really fast bit of code that has an autistic level of focus on just the things it was told to focus on or has access to. The problem with AI isn't that they will wash their hand sof us and head out into the cosmos, it's that they will come to conclusions to the problems given it in ways humans can't always predict and then execute those solutions faster than we can react.

So that traffic management AI, without the proper left right limits and a human sensibility, decides to crash 70 cars to save one school bus from skidding. It made a decision that no human would have (probably) but it "made sense" to itself and then it did it faster than any human could step in and say "hey hey, the bus skid is into a gentle slope [off road so the A.I. had no way to 'see'' it and its doesn't really understand a non asphalt universe anyway] and is pretty safe.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

This a good read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_general_intelligence

If and when AGI / Strong AI takes off (and it will be exponential), we better hold on to our butts because there will be major societal upheaval. We're already feeling the first light ripples of it now with just weak AI.

Last edited:

Trilobit

See, an A.I. will have software/hardware limits just as restrictive as a physical body. It's not some fully formed and omnipotent intelligence that "hatches" from some super computer, its just a really really fast bit of code that has an autistic level of focus on just the things it was told to focus on or has access to.

I think we are discussing different stages. What we have now and for the foreseeable future is AI in an embryotic state. I'm talking more about a future if it becomes self-conscious and develops rapidly from that point. That's something we can't even imagine. The human brain is the most complex structure in the known universe, but we are still "limited" to its boundaries.

So that traffic management AI, without the proper left right limits and a human sensibility, decides to crash 70 cars to save one school bus from skidding.

That reminds me, I need to rewatch Person of Interest. 📺

mxbison

Because the thought of some lone flying saucer travelling trillions of miles through space just to be secretly found and kept hidden by some government agency without anyone noticing is pretty absurd and a story that has been told for decades without the slightest hint of proof.

AI is very real. It might be at like rainworm power compared to a human brain right now but it will get there sooner or later.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Because the thought of some lone flying saucer travelling trillions of miles through space just to be secretly found and kept hidden by some government agency without anyone noticing is pretty absurd and a story that has been told for decades without the slightest hint of proof.

AI is very real. It might be at like rainworm power compared to a human brain right now but it will get there sooner or later.

The world is in a pretty absurd state right now, so I find it hard to discount anything out-of-hand at this point!

The reality is that people with ostensibly credible backgrounds and careers have stuck their heads over the parapet to talk about the UFO/UAP stuff. This demands some sort of explanation/rationale.

I'm not a fan of AI because I think its being misrepresented. I don't see much actual intelligence in it, apart from the ability to trick human cognition (which is what the language modelling side of it does) and the rest can in my view best be described as hyper-automation. Traversing huge data-sets to find meta-data that seems connected to the input parameters and munging it into something that passes as an approximation of what is asked for is not my idea of "intelligence".

GeekyDad

This a good read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_general_intelligence

If and when AGI / Strong AI takes off (and it will be exponential), we better hold on to our butts because there will be major societal upheaval. We're already feeling the first light ripples of it now with just weak AI.
:messenger_grinning_smiling:

No disrespect intended to either of you, but you both seem to be making my point for me. You both seem to be using your imagination to scare yourselves.

Setting Wikipedia aside for the moment...

You take the A out of A.I., and you're left with intelligence. There is no artificial intelligence. Whether it be man-made or no, like all creatures (creations), they are images of their creator(s).

And there are, I believe, both limitations and no limitations. There's always an "if" that both limits us and breaks beyond our limits. For A.I., we're considering it as probably mostly some form of software, with reliance on hardware, not a whole lot unlike ourselves. I think what is easy to perhaps lose sight of is the speed. And of course, that's where A.I. limitations may (in theory) exceed our own (at least perceived -- this physical form could merely be some type of larval stage). And of course, time is...well, let's not.

Perhaps that's what made a movie like the original Wizard of Oz such a classic. After we're done scaring the shit out of ourselves, you find out there's no one behind the curtain but us.

Top Bottom