• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

Been doing this for ages - it's great advice.

Is LF2 good? I've not heard of it.
Yeah, enjoying it so far. I can feel a pay-wall coming, but nothing yet! :p I may grab the first one afterwards, but it's not optimized for iPhone 5 :(

is it just me or do apps not require you to confirm push notifications when you first launch them?

Definitely feel like i've encountered a few like that which i did get whiny push notifications asking me to play more.... which i promptly delete the app

Flunkie

Banned
Nimblebit games need more depth to keep my attention. I've been enjoying the little I've played of Disco Zoo but I can see myself deleting it in a week. I'd normally tire of Tiny Death Star by now but you could slap a giant turd with the Star Wars name and I'd play it til I physically couldn't anymore. So I'm up to 50 levels on that now.

I guess that's why my top played mobile game currently Star Wars Force Collection...

PittaGAF

For the ones interested this is a nice review that captures the core of Out There without spoiling it too much.

Out There review

Personally I'm really enjoying it...as soon as you get past the first beacon the first time, you will be hooked.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Niiiice one, about time. Let's just hope the pricing isn't too ridiculous. I can pay for it 3 euro. Now Atlus, bring us Lucifer's Call on iOS. Pwease.
Apparently this localized version will cost $7.99 (the price of the Japanese version in the App Store was around $13.99).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OMG PopCap just patched Poker Mode into Bejeweled. I've been begging for this for a long time, I spent hours upon hours playing it on PC. My life is over.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OMG PopCap just patched Poker Mode into Bejeweled. I've been begging for this for a long time, I spent hours upon hours playing it on PC. My life is over.

It plays just like the PC version...but in the menu it said I had "three free plays", down to two now. I don't like the sound of that at all. 🙀 Please don't tell me I gotta pay RL$ for tokens or some shit. Don't do this to me, PopCap. I'll report back when my plays are used up (not that anyone cares but me, lol).

EDIT - it's unlocked with a one time purchase of $2.99. That's perfectly fine. Move along, folks.

Flunkie

Banned
Omfg...

Controllers for All is a GODSEND.

I no longer have to use the shitty on screen d-pad for LEGO Star Wars, and pretty much every other game that matters now. So great. It's a total game changer guys.

Only game that's I've tried that is a bit iffy on the controller controls so far is KOTOR. It's kinda wonky still, doesn't use the analog sticks (d-pad and shoulders and face buttons only) and doesn't work for menus and inventory and such, so you kinda have to juggle controls, which is inconvenient. Aspyr is prepping a new patch that enables cloud saves (!!!!!!!!!) so hopefully it also adds improved controller support.

Heel

Bhgy4QiCEAAYTV4.png

...please praise and worship for 12 hours, or offer 10 Megami dollars to continue.

(ad plays)

Flunkie

Banned
No way. So is there full feature parity with Bejeweled 3 on Steam and the mobile edition now?

Also, Out There and Beyond Space look intriguing.

One game I forgot to mention that I'm hooked on that I'm so freaking happy now that I can play it with a controller: Hero Siege. Great great game. I'm feeling excited for iOS now that I can play shit with a fresking controller on my iPad!

The controller integration is so great too - when you boot up a game with controller support, it asks you to press the PS button and pairs it up. When you press the home button on the iPad/iPhone, it automatically turns your controller off! No fiddling with it to conserve battery life. Definitely a cool feature.

SummitAve

Banned
Played a tiny bit of Out There and my initial impressions are positive. I don't know how I feel about the design of the ship and it's UI for the various ship components. I'd prefer those to be visually shown on/in the ship rather than just having an icon that says it...

zulux21

This probably deserves its own thread but, the original Shin Megami Tensei is heading west via iOS

Trailer below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdRTSxI5Co

So... this news is what seems to be swaying me to IOS gaming over android (that and boardgames/card games as there seems to be a lot more of those on ios than android)

I was wondering what is the cheapest IOS device that would work well for gaming. I would plan to be playing games like megaten there, as well as board games/ card games (neither of which I imagine are to intensive) as well as games like puzzles and dragons, marvel puzzle quest... and stuff like final fantasy dimensions and maybe chaos rings (aka Japanese stuff)

Flunkie

Banned
So... this news is what seems to be swaying me to IOS gaming over android (that and boardgames/card games as there seems to be a lot more of those on ios than android)

I was wondering what is the cheapest IOS device that would work well for gaming. I would plan to be playing games like megaten there, as well as board games/ card games (neither of which I imagine are to intensive) as well as games like puzzles and dragons, marvel puzzle quest... and stuff like final fantasy dimensions and maybe chaos rings (aka Japanese stuff)
iPod Touch or iPad mini retina

Fuu

If you're planning to play a lot of board and card games you'd better go with at least an iPad Mini imo. Check this thread too.

killercow

Omfg...

I no longer have to use the shitty on screen d-pad for LEGO Star Wars, and pretty much every other game that matters now. So great. It's a total game changer guys.

Only game that's I've tried that is a bit iffy on the controller controls so far is KOTOR. It's kinda wonky still, doesn't use the analog sticks (d-pad and shoulders and face buttons only) and doesn't work for menus and inventory and such, so you kinda have to juggle controls, which is inconvenient. Aspyr is prepping a new patch that enables cloud saves (!!!!!!!!!) so hopefully it also adds improved controller support.

Sadly controllers for all isn't perfect and it isn't supported like a real MFi controller. Battle Academy, GBA4iOS and Metal Slug 3 aren't working with it and they just crash when you press start. Cjori is working on it though.

Any out there tips? I seem to get owned by rng. I seem to always be losing stuff from going to planet more than gaining.

The best tip that I can give you is to go to every planet in every system. Do it when you actually need it otherwise just keep going forward.

PFD

Omfg...

Yup, controllers for all is amazing. And the list of controller-enabled games keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I wish Only One supported controllers, but the dev sadly said that the engine he's using doesn't let him do it. I would also love to play Wild Blood with a controller, but I don't think Gameloft will go back and update their old games. Asphalt 8 plays brilliantly though on the DS3.

Shearie

Got a couple of codes for Type:Rider. Quote this post to receive the creamy goodness from within..........I mean to see the codes.....

PFD

Played an hour of Out There. The game is very atmospheric and has great music, but it feels too simple. There isn't much depth from what I've seen. Hopefully it gets more involved later on

Type:Rider supports controllers btw

Flunkie

Banned
Guys. Jet Car Stunts with a controller is like a whole new game.

Bliss.

I'm falling in love with iOS all over again.

Edit: Darn I missed type:rider codes

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
For the ones interested this is a nice review that captures the core of Out There without spoiling it too much.

Out There review

Personally I'm really enjoying it...as soon as you get past the first beacon the first time, you will be hooked.

Yeah I had a bit of a play with this last night, seems really neat. i love these space games. And a great example of a genre really well suited for mobile.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What is that?

I want a controller for my iPhone 5 but most are way too expensive. (I don't intend to spend 99 euros on a controller...)

Jailbreak + PS3 controller as above. That clip looks really neat, I would totally do that if my phone would run games good (iphone 4 is now propa poopy)

PittaGAF

Yeah I had a bit of a play with this last night, seems really neat. i love these space games. And a great example of a genre really well suited for mobile.

Yeah, I already loved it in the beta but now the more I play the more I'm in love with it.

Pocket Tactics did a great review too.

It's harsh and random...you can have a fantastic game followed by lousy ones due to random explosion in your own ship as soon as you step into the galaxy...but it's always a great fun experience.

When you finally 'find' the endings (I found two out of three, but never really completed the game) it's really really awesome and force you to play just to advance the story a bit more.

As you said, it's perfectly suited to the mobile environment too, great work by the dev.

Fuu

iboVTjub54vhh0.PNG

BASED + SIGN. Finally crossed the 10k, first try after the update and my score went from the previous 8.535 to 10.434. I'm back in the fold, now let's see if I can get into the 20k league. :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
iboVTjub54vhh0.PNG

BASED + SIGN. Finally crossed the 10k, first try after the update and my score went from the previous 8.535 to 10.434. I'm back in the fold, now let's see if I can get into the 20k league. :p

It's probably just me but I swear the patch has made the game harder. I'm getting caught out in ways I never did before.

You can do it though man, believe in yourself. The 20k league is just a hop and a skip away.

card city nights might be the darkhorse release of the week. $.99 no iap trading card game.

only real con seems to be no online mp atm.

think i might give it a shot.

chris121580

Question about Calculords, do I have to keep battling against the same enemy until I reach level 3 to advance? I love the game but that's kind of annoying. This is my third time to play him and I've beat him twice before that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom