• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benhur

Autumn Dynasty Warlords comes out tonight and it looks FANTASTIC.

The developer describes it as "Total War meets Romance of the Three Kingdoms (big fan here) meets Autumn Dynasty RTS battles is how I describe warlords myself."

Here's the trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i5Fdg96hECU

And an introductory tutorial:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q9MNHG5jWhk

It will cost $6.99, no IAP shenanigans. The first Autumn Dynast is great too and it's free at the moment.

Also, buy Bug Heroes 2 dammit.

Just d/l'd this earlier today and will give it a go during my break. I've been waiting for this one for quite a while now and can't wait to give it a go. They released the original game for free last week and it was a great RTS experience.

killercow

Threes has been updated:
"+ A spinner on the loading screen
+ If the upcoming card is >3 it will show a "+" on the next card icon.
+ A "skip signing" option to speed up restarting games
+ Ability to play upside-down on the iPad
+ A link to the soundtrack!
+ Character bios will show up again if you replay the tutorial
+ Big bug fix: Tutorial will stop randomly starting for some people
+ Small bug fixes"

Sickbean

Threes has been updated:
"+ A spinner on the loading screen
+ If the upcoming card is >3 it will show a "+" on the next card icon.
+ A "skip signing" option to speed up restarting games
+ Ability to play upside-down on the iPad
+ A link to the soundtrack!
+ Character bios will show up again if you replay the tutorial
+ Big bug fix: Tutorial will stop randomly starting for some people
+ Small bug fixes"

Nice! Hopefully I can crack 10K now!

PittaGAF

Oquonie looks gorgeous. Reckon I'll have to pick that up based on visuals alone.

I really loved it as a game too (as soon as you understand how the world is ruled).
And it made me replay Hiversaries that I neglected back in the days, while I'm enjoying it a ton too now.

(Hiversaries is a bit harder but the world and what you have to do is pretty clear from the start, while Oquonie need a bit more experimenting before 'getting' it).

Apparently, they are part of the same 'universe'.

It's a bit like playing a mix between Riven and Device 6, with a mad dev in charge of the setting.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
i aim for 3 star straight..
my puzzle skills are NOT lacking by any means..
plain and simple you're usually given screwed board for your matching requirement :)

Well, that's the problem I ran into... I had thought you could puzzle skill your way through the cases.. and that's not possible at all past the first few. You have to use skills and tools to 3 star cases... or have any chance of winning them. You farm cash through the newspaper cases... I suggest farming cash to unlock some furniture, tools, etc.. then tackling a case.

Though it's probably just not worth the trouble... because instead of using skill (and some luck) you pretty much just use a little skill and then brute force your way through the rest of the case. It's pretty sad that the amount of "evidence" you need to legit clear a case...

So I just checked one.. you need 20 pieces of hard evidence... in 30 moves. Not freaking possible.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
FFIV on sale worth it? those games are supposed to be good rite?
I bought it on the previous sale, been playing it recently and I'm really liking it. I'm finding it more enjoyable than FFIII too, which is the other DS FF-remake I played. Love the little touches like the speech balloons in the menu that show what the characters are thinking at any given moment.

It's been great for moderately short sessions since there's suspend saving. Nothing like advancing in a dungeon and/or killing a boss before work. Also, if you die in a battle in this version it continues right before the fight which totally encourages exploration. If you like Final Fantasy it's a no-brainer imo.

RM8

PSA: Buy a stylus if you like shmups. I'm never going to play stuff like Shogun or LF2 without a stylus again! No smudgy finger that becomes increasingly harder to slide, less screen obstruction, better control overall.

I bought it on the previous sale, been playing it recently and I'm really liking it. I'm finding it more enjoyable than FFIII too, which is the other DS FF-remake I played. Love the little touches like the speech balloons in the menu that show what the characters are thinking at any given moment.

It's been great for moderately short sessions since there's suspend saving. Nothing like advancing in a dungeon and/or killing a boss before work. Also, if you die in a battle in this version it continues right before the fight which totally encourages exploration. If you like Final Fantasy it's a no-brainer imo.

Sold! Perfect "pocket-sized" review!!!

;D

Coming in June, this looks really really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_eTz9xFunI
Play the original here
http://www.deconstructeam.com/games/gods-will-be-watching/
Gods Will Be Watching was like reading a short story. It was a confined and taut experience, laser-focused on delivering its bleak hopeless tale, but that only made its moral quandaries and tough choices that much more tense. Not only does Gods Will Be Watching sport a great pixel art style, it's just a bleak, dark game where every choice was grey, either bad or worse. It's more of a snapshot of what the expanded game will offer, but when a snapshot is this affecting and unique, it deserves all the attention and acclaim it gets.
The upcoming expanded version is probably one of my most anticipated games of 2014

Catshade

Is there an American holiday I don't know or something? Lots of high profile games on sale today: Infinity Blade 3, The Room 2, X-COM, Final Fantasy 4, Epoch 2, Badland, Limbo, and many more...

Zeth

PSA: Buy a stylus if you like shmups. I'm never going to play stuff like Shogun or LF2 without a stylus again! No smudgy finger that becomes increasingly harder to slide, less screen obstruction, better control overall.
Been doing this for ages - it's great advice.

Is LF2 good? I've not heard of it.

dream

Out There is really pretty great.

edit:

Cultures Northlands sounds rad too.

Create a thriving settlement with farms, bakeries, Potteries, Mason Shops, Schools, Armories and many more. Manage your settlement and its Settlers, erect new buildings, raw materials will roll in, finished goods will roll out so you can grow more people. Watch your people walk, eat, sleep, and talk to each other for entertainment. Couples marry. Babies are born, grow up, and are assigned careers of their own.Each person is a unique character who can be assigned a career. As they go about their careers, their skills improve. As their skills improve, new careers are opened to them. Stay out of the way of your enemies or attack them when you feel there is no other option.

Cultures: Northland follows the story of a wandering band of Vikings, guided by a quartet of heroes named Bjarni (son of the famous explorer Leif Ericsson), his lover Cyra, and their friends Hatchi and Sigurd. Hatchi soon finds that his homeland is overrun by enemies. As a result, he calls upon his friends for help. The game's campaign is spread out over eight missions, and you can also play an additional eight stand-alone missions that are unrelated to the story.

Features:

-8 campaign Missions with several subquests and 8 single missions
-4 heroes that join forces to fight the final battle
-Over 30 different occupational groups, updated job and skills systems
-menus with different level of detail to fit each gamers needs and preferences
-Highly detailed 3D environment
-Extensive tutorial with step by step introduction into the game and its features
-Improved AI (for the villagers as well as for other tribes)
- 3 difficulty levels to make the game fun for everybody from beginners to experts
- Special effects like weather effects, fog, ghost units etc

screen480x480.jpeg

Anyone feel like taking one for the team?

dream

Oh by the way, I was at Starbucks and grabbed a couple of Type Rider codes. Canada only.

ARKXE4HYPY7A
TAKXPTYALAXM
XMYFWYFRHTJ9
K36XWJN4KE99
N3AJAPETEHRK
YNXWFRJ66HJE

Afrodium

Banned
Out There looks right up my alley. I can't wait to hear some early impressions so that I can get confirmation that it's as good as it looks. It will also make the wait for FTL a little easier. Speaking of which, when the hell is FTL coming out?

haterofpants

Neo Member
I've only been playing Out There for a couple of hours, but it seems pretty neat and seems very unforgiving. It's kind of like a mix of King of Dragon Pass and (as was mentioned earlier in this thread) Mass Effect's space exploration.

If anyone would like me to answer specific questions about Out There, let me know.

Is there a place where I could track all those ios sales?

http://appshopper.com

You can check for recent price drops and sort by free/paid. If you create an account, you can put specific games and apps on your wishlist and you'll get an email if it goes on sale or if there is an update.

FerranMG

Nimblebit and Milkbag game released today Disco Zoo.

It's more in line with Tiny Tower than with Pocket Planes/Trains.
I've played for a while and I think it captures the Tiny Tower formula pretty good and expands it a bit (not like Star Wars Tiny Death Star, which was mostly a rehash).

BTW, anyone knows why the Appshopper app hasn't been updated to iOS7, and why there's no iPad version?

PittaGAF

Already found a TON of new ways to die in Out There that weren't in the beta.

:p

Can't even reach the portal anymore!!!

While born as iPad game, I must confess I'm enjoying it more on iPhone...perfect game to pick up to play 'just one more star' only to find yourself playing at 3 am in bed.
Tiny footprint and very light on battery...great job by the dev in this compartment.

PittaGAF

One awesome moment that just happened to me in Out There and I wanted to share.

So...I find a super cool ancient artifact in the middle of the space.
It was already a great game....somehow I did a ton of progresses towards something I won't spoil, and I have almost full main resources, plus a nice list of new tech to build, including the solar sails tech that enhance your movement radius.

Of course, I touch it....
BAM....it warps me even further towards the center of the galaxy!!!
Perfect!!!!
Well....I land on a star system where every other star is out of reach.

Panic.

Nothing to do?
No, there are 3 rocky planets....so I hop between them drilling everything and breaking drill several times, when AT LAST I find 4 Th, necessary to build the sails that extend radius.

SUCCESS!!!!

I can finally escape that mouse trap.

2 star systems later...I find ANOTHER weird alien artifact.

How could I resist?
What possibly could go wrong?

I died soon after (no star system in reach and broke the solar sails, no Fe to repair, no planets to drill).

So AWESOME.

dock

yDOTEEJ.jpg

This is as far as I made it into Disco Zoo before it started to scare me. It's probably the eyes.

Nimblebit are famous for their predatory IAP, and while this is very much the norm it turns out that some days I'm less happy to engage with the abusive cycle. :[

GeoGonzo

Nimblebit are famous for their predatory IAP, and while this is very much the norm it turns out that some days I'm less happy to engage with the abusive cycle. :[

Are they? I only really played Tiny Tower but it honestly felt too generous with the premium currency.

dock

Are they? I only really played Tiny Tower but it honestly felt too generous with the premium currency.
Perhaps the criticism I've heard of them is unfair.

I've heard the same thing regarding Tiny Tower's currency, I think I'm mostly conscious of how much they nag their players to stimulate habit.

haterofpants

Neo Member
I had two really great runs in a row in Out There. Managed to set the GameCenter #1 high score with the first run (51,830) before
being left stranded after you first encounter the "enemy"

On my next run, I was able to make it all the way to the end and beat the game. Surprisingly, my score was even lower this time, so I'm not sure how it's calculated.

You really just have to get lucky and hope you get a better ship early. You want one of the ships that has a large capacity (at least 16 slots), since you need to balance resources and technology/upgrades. Carry lots of extra Helium and Hydrogen! Fuel is the most important resource. I did not carry much of any other resource until towards the end, but that's also what screwed me over in the previous run.

Here's the ship I used and how it was set up when I set the high score:
http://i.imgur.com/AcbBoRq.jpg

Here's the ship I used when beating the game:
http://i.imgur.com/oG51bUB.jpg

"True" ending spoiler:
http://i.imgur.com/VYr3JHm.jpg

Stats after beating the game:
http://i.imgur.com/JpSQR2D.jpg

Edit:
I forgot to specify, but the game has multiple endings. This 2nd run was the "true" ending.

FerranMG

They are not.
I'd say Nimbelbit's IAP system is as fair as it gets.
No paywalls anywhere, and only pay to speed things up.

I haven't played enough Disco Zoo to comment about this on it, but it has been this way for Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes and Pocket Trains.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've heard the same thing regarding Tiny Tower's currency, I think I'm mostly conscious of how much they nag their players to stimulate habit.

The "nagging" is a feature, not a nuisance... people expect to be nagged in time-management games. If it wasn't there the game would be worse off... people who the notifications bother have the simple option of disabling them entirely in the game or in the settings > notifications panel. I wouldn't call that an issue in the least.

Fuu

I cooled off on NB's games after Tiny Death Star was a buggy mess that ended up eating my save. I was so hyped for it too.

Minsc

Gold Member
I cooled off on NB's games after Tiny Death Star was a buggy mess that ended up eating my save. I was so hyped for it too.

TDS was pretty much what I expected, a TT re-skin. Very short-lived for me. Much like the train game felt like a reskin of the plane one. Tiny Tower gave me the most fun, I got a good week or so out of that. At least Disco Zoo seems to be something different again, though I haven't tried it. The Snakes reskin wasn't bad either, but got a bit boring after a while as well.

A lot of one's enjoyment out of these games is if your expectations are in line. I don't ever go in to them expecting anything other than a short 2-minute distraction a few times a day.

pocket trains wasn't really a reskin, but it had the same issue with planes, in which you get far enough that you need to do way too many things everytime you get into the game. It turns into work.

PittaGAF

Finally got past the beta part in Out There and got seriously into the 'story part'.

This is fantastic, more than I hoped it to be.

Too bad I died and it's all over again :p

But oh boy, what did I found!!!

Fuu

TDS was pretty much what I expected, a TT re-skin. Very short-lived for me. Much like the train game felt like a reskin of the plane one. Tiny Tower gave me the most fun, I got a good week or so out of that. At least Disco Zoo seems to be something different again, though I haven't tried it. The Snakes reskin wasn't bad either, but got a bit boring after a while as well.

A lot of one's enjoyment out of these games is if your expectations are in line. I don't ever go in to them expecting anything other than a short 2-minute distraction a few times a day.
I agree with this, I expected (and wanted!) a TT reskin out of TDS and I was actually enjoying it in the same way until the game decided to screw me, haha. I loved TT like the interactive screensaver it was and 100%-ed it, but Pocket Planes was a huge letdown and I didn't even try Pocket Trains after that.

My problem with Pocket Planes is the same one chickdigger had, that it grows to be more and more of a hassle to make things happen the more you play, and it obviously doesn't have mechanics engaging enough to keep the player going. It gets unfun.

Granted I haven't tried Nimble Quest either, I may give it a spin later. With Disco Zoo I just need to make sure that it isn't glitchy like TDS was. Having your save erased in a game like this is a total bucket of cold water since the actual gameplay isn't exactly what's appealing about them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I fully expect to experience the usual Nimblebit cycle of addiction and resentment with Disco Zoo, it's routine at this point, but I'll give it a download. They're fun for a good week or so before playing them for "free" starts to get super tedious. I just hate that feeling of investing time in something that I know I'll never see through past a certain point. Oh well.

I fully expect to experience the usual Nimblebit cycle of addiction and resentment with Disco Zoo, it's routine at this point, but I'll give it a download. They're fun for a good week or so before playing them for "free" starts to get super tedious. I just hate that feeling of investing time in something that I know I'll never see through past a certain point. Oh well.

I think I've hit the point of diminishing returns with these sorts of games. I spun it around for like twenty minutes this morning and could see the next hours and weeks and months of it and just deleted it. I think Marvel Puzzle Quest will forever scratch whatever rare/collecting itch I have and Tapped Out will cover any time managing.

Very cute looking, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom