• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PittaGAF

Not really unexpected since it's from the same devs of Puzzlecraft, but I've played Another case solved for a straight hour and I must say it's pretty awesome.
The 'solving case' part after the 'matching' part is pretty great so far.
No clue about the freemium part, but so far seems negligible.

Minsc

Gold Member
Emulators that provide (essentially) direct downloads of commercial ROMs really have no place for discussion here. I've locked the thread about it, and it'd probably be best to avoid discussing that specific emulator.

Nyx

Fair enough!

In that case I want to talk about The King of Chicago:

https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/id809931213?mt=8&affId=1720307

nexusae0_King5.png

king.jpg

King_of_Chicago_-_1989_-_Mirrorsoft.jpg

Who remembers this awesome Amiga game from back in the day?
It’s now available on iPhone in all it’s former glory.

Fair enough!

In that case I want to talk about The King of Chicago:

https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/id809931213?mt=8&affId=1720307

Who remembers this awesome Amiga game from back in the day?
It’s now available on iPhone in all it’s former glory.

Hnnnnngghhhh.... I've been waiting for this for ages! I just hope to god it's better than the other Cinemaware ports I.e. obviously an Amiga emulator with no improvements such as loading times or control methods (having to drag a cursor can be a real pain).

Here's hoping that It Came From the Desert is next!

*edit* Damn, the title gives it away 'The King of Chicago - Emulated Amiga Edition'

kinda crazy that this gba game i coded for some cs class 5 years ago can run on my iphone lol.

i remember being quite proud with the magic fu i did to get the GTA4 main theme in there with audio magic fu.

Any hotness from yesterday?

Anyone else run into the problem of buying 'heafty games' but never play them? I have every FF game yet i've only beaten one of them on ios.

been mostly playing cook serve delicious, 3's, these days.

Marv_79

Neo Member
I would tread lightly, junior. See the post above yours.

I made no mention of what the aforementioned post said I cannot mention and have no intention of doing so.

Maybe I should ask this question elsewhere on the forum to avoid confusion :)

Finally caved and went and bought an iPad Air tonight. Whilst I would be perfectly happy not to give this company the light of day my GF is nagging me to get her Pet Rescue Saga save off my iPad 4 which I will be giving to family. Anyone know how I can achieve this?

Thanks

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finally caved and went and bought an iPad Air tonight. Whilst I would be perfectly happy not to give this company the light of day my GF is nagging me to get her Pet Rescue Saga save off my iPad 4 which I will be giving to family. Anyone know how I can achieve this?

Thanks

From the OP:

Q - How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
A - Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:
Click the iFunBox Classic tab
Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.

That should do the trick. It's a very quick process too.

Thanks
Assuming you want to just carry over everything from your old iPad, you could just restore your old iPad's iCloud backup - which makes your new iPad essentially an exact duplicate of your old one. Otherwise you need to use something like iFunBox Classic to move the Documents directory for the app over manually (assuming the app in question does not have its own cloud save ability).

PFD

Apparently real racing 3 got an update which supports mfi controllers (they actually work now)

I haven't touched this game since it came out. They changed it quite a bit, and it's really fun to play with a controller.

From the OP:

That should do the trick. It's a very quick process too.

Thanks, prob should have checked OP before posting.

Assuming you want to just carry over everything from your old iPad, you could just restore your old iPad's iCloud backup - which makes your new iPad essentially an exact duplicate of your old one. Otherwise you need to use something like iFunBox Classic to move the Documents directory for the app over manually (assuming the app in question does not have its own cloud save ability).

Thanks, I have been too lazy to set up cloud back up etc. Maybe I should.

I heard "Out There" is coming out soon - is there a solid release date yet?

Really looking forward to this one, it reminds me of Mass Effect galaxy exploration.

PittaGAF

I heard "Out There" is coming out soon - is there a solid release date yet?

Really looking forward to this one, it reminds me of Mass Effect galaxy exploration.

Next week, it's official (27 February) :)

I would call it a sci fi exploration rogue like...it certainly showed a ton of potential (I played the beta, which ends about at 20 percent of content...just when the story started to pick up).

Personally I can't wait and I hope it develops well in the remaining 80 percent or so I didn't saw.

In my twitter feed I have people who are playing the final version with an auto tweet when they complete the game (or die, not sure) and I've already noticed a ton of cool things (like new technologies and awesome weird starships).

I can vouch for Tengami being great. Had an interview with one of the creators last week and knocked up a little Let's Play for it that went live today. Definitely invest in it!

PFD

Autumn Dynasty is free. It's under a different AppStore link, as they severed their relationship with the old publisher (BulkyPix.) So be sure to download it even if you already bought it before.

We're making the app free for this limited period in order for our existing players to transition over. Please download the new version of the app so you can receive new updates as we will be unable to support the old version in the future.

This promotion is possible thanks to your support, and there are NO ads and NO purchases in the game. Do take the opportunity to share it with friends to enjoy multi-player matches.

The next game in the series comes out next week.

PittaGAF

I can vouch for Tengami being great. Had an interview with one of the creators last week and knocked up a little Let's Play for it that went live today. Definitely invest in it!

I just bought it and tried for 5 minutes.
It was so awesome I turned it off wanting the full experience (ie playing this one tonight with headphones).
First impression was great...I got a nice Sword&Sworcery vibe.

I've read it's short but I do not mind (some of the best recent experiences I had in gaming were all short...Device 6, The Room 2, Year Walk...).

Can't wait to play more.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Is it a matter of figuring out how to make it F2P and monetizing various aspects of the game? It's distressing to see truly amazing games not being made because of the F2P craze. Why can't Shatter work on the platform with a premium price-point? *sigh*

Well, I guess that is part of it seeing as we have thrown our weight behind a F2P strategy.

However, we were prepared to release Shatter as a premium title (and iPad only in the first instance). Indeed, it was either premium or nothing as the current structure and content don't suit F2P at all.

The issue really comes down to the required investment vs the expected return, opportunity cost and risk. And the latter is a key problem with a premium title.

If a F2P game fails out of the gate, we usually have the active userbase to be able to turn it around over time to at least recoup our investment. If a premium game fails, there is very little you can do to fix that.

We've honestly tried to work it from many different angles including looking at working with external parties, but just can't structure it in such a way that works.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think I'm around half way through Machinarium and I'm really enjoying the art on this replay, but damn do I still hate this puzzle design. I'm kinda surprised they haven't ported the Samorost games and Botaniclua as those would all work really well on the iPad too.

Well, I guess that is part of it seeing as we have thrown our weight behind a F2P strategy.

However, we were prepared to release Shatter as a premium title (and iPad only in the first instance). Indeed, it was either premium or nothing as the current structure and content don't suit F2P at all.

The issue really comes down to the required investment vs the expected return, opportunity cost and risk. And the latter is a key problem with a premium title.

If a F2P game fails out of the gate, we usually have the active userbase to be able to turn it around over time to at least recoup our investment. If a premium game fails, there is very little you can do to fix that.

We've honestly tried to work it from many different angles including looking at working with external parties, but just can't structure it in such a way that works.

As cliche as this sounds... Kickstarter it if you're risk-averse to that level?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
As cliche as this sounds... Kickstarter it if you're risk-averse to that level?

In my opinion, it is very challenging to fund something on Kickstarter for mobile and tablet.

I do consider it a very viable route to help fund/part-fund PC/console content though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Apple's promo code limit alone is a big hindrance to mobile Kickstarterts. See Republique.

killercow

In my opinion, it is very challenging to fund something on Kickstarter for mobile and tablet.

I do consider it a very viable route to help fund/part-fund PC/console content though.

I know this won't change anything but I would buy Shatter on iPad in a heartbeat. And I'm saying that as a proud owner of the ps3 and pc version (and I bought the Vinyl ;))

D-Back

Looks like updated firmware for the steel series stratus controller is available for download (it supposedly fixes the d-pad + button press issue):

http://steelseries.com/us/support/downloads Just click on the stratus controller and a pop up will show the links.

Installing it now, it is nice to see updates available for mfi controllers, good move on Apple's part.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I know this won't change anything but I would buy Shatter on iPad in a heartbeat. And I'm saying that as a proud owner of the ps3 and pc version (and I bought the Vinyl ;))

Thank you for your support.

We definitely know we could shift some copies. Just wish we had the confidence it would shift enough.

PFD

Any more impressions for tengami? Does the gameplay hold up or is it just beautiful to look at?

It's beautiful and has really nice music. The gameplay is pretty much just walking around and solving a variety of puzzles. Some are pretty easy, while others are quite clever.

Does anyone have any suggestions for simulation/management games on iOS that are not just time management games in disguise? I like some time management games just fine, but I'm currently in the mood for something simmy. I'd play SimCity, but unfortunately the iOS version sucks a decent amount shit.

It doesn't have to be city simulation/management. But I'd rather it not be sports simulation/management. I've already played the beer one (Fiz?), by the way. It's OK, but a bit thin.

No Kairosoft games!

Thoughts? :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for simulation/management games on iOS that are not just time management games in disguise? I like some time management games just fine, but I'm currently in the mood for something simmy. I'd play SimCity, but unfortunately the iOS version sucks a decent amount shit.

It doesn't have to be city simulation/management. But I'd rather it not be sports simulation/management. I've already played the beer one (Fiz?), by the way. It's OK, but a bit thin.

No Kairosoft games!

Thoughts? :)
On TA, someone recommended Smooth Operators
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smooth-operators!/id653467990
You could check out Smooth Operators. It's a call center sim. I enjoyed it quite a bit actually.
You're in charge of hiring employees for specific roles, such as managers, accountants, general customer service reps (I believe there are level 1 and level 2 call reps) IT techs, and janitors. You're in charge of workflow, hiring, pay wages and keeping employees happy. A lot of it comes down to keeping your employees productive.

Remk

Went and got Threes because of all the praise here and I must say you guys were right.

So fun to just start sliding and seeing the numbers go up, it did impact my job performance today for sure :p

Cool new release, and a pleasant surprise at how fun it is:

Word Mage
iTunes
Word Mage is a fast-paced monster fighting RPG, where you destroy enemies by playing a word game. Fight for more than just a high score as you conquer a world, gain powers, and spell your heart out!

screen568x568.jpeg

Played the tutorial and first few levels and I'm really enjoying this game. The presentation is excellent. Word game and combat/RPG elements mix together much better than I imagined.

The gameplay has an urgency that I was not expecting, due to a time/"health" bar that drops each turn. Getting damaged reduces the bar faster and it adds some nice intensity as you search for new words. It can get quite pretty intense as the timer gets lower, and you've used all your "easy" words and you're trying to find a new word to spell. You also have a nice selection of one-use spells you can equip that do everything from lightning attacks to stopping time and revealing words. There's a whole bunch of other mechanics that flesh out the game: harder difficulties for each level that have more and harder enemies, harder word boards, and faster time bar, leveling up, items to collect to create new powers, different powers to discover and equip

The dev will be adding more achievements and an endless practice mode in the first update is working on an arena mode with random enemies

I definitely recommend Word Mage. It's fun, polished, and offers a cool unique take on word games.

Edit: Haven't actually progressed past those first few levels, because I've been playing them on harder difficulties and it's quite a challenge even in these early levels. While you might only be fighting one enemy at a time on Normal, you'll be facing three or four on Epic difficulty, with the time going faster as well. You really need to assess the board fast, use your abilities at the best times, and weigh the choice of short but less damaging words over longer words that will take longer to find. It's truly a race against the clock, since the longer you take, the less time you'll have on the next wave of enemies.

I don't think I've played a word game that's as fast and involved as this one. You need to be quick and be planning ahead, with only seconds to do so.

OK I know I'm probably going to sound incredibly stupid saying this but does anyone else think of Device 6 when they hear the new Bruno Mars song?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom