• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.
h52s4ghiwjr41.jpg

I am down for a two-tone box, but, I really hope it isn't just another tower. I think it will look a lot different than the XsX

D3SCHA1N

i have launch DS4 still working, one easy way to kill ion lithium batteries is to have your controllers connected 24/7 to a charger. Don't do it again. Charge it and use it, when it gives you a warning, only then plug it again. Preferably to the same console since the USB stops charging after a while if it's on rest mode and if you are still playing you can see in the UI if it's full again.

Well I'm glad your controller has held up for you, mine didn't. I didn't over charge them and only kept them plugged in when they needed it, but after a while, they constantly needed it. I am personally not a fan of internal batteries which necessitate full controller replacement, from my perspective, that is the more 'anti-consumer' situation....

Banned

this design is completely ruined by the weird looking bluray drive placement at the bottom there in combination with the 2 glowing buttons on each side this looks like a robot face with a giant forehead lol. and would be awful for airflow since it would block a big potion of the bottom of the casing.
this would look way better if A: it didn't bulge out on the bottom, and B: if everything would be vertically oriented IMO

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
When you compare the way the PS5 controller looks to the way the XSX controller looks, it really does make the XSX controller look cheap and old. What if the system does too?

It feels like if the PS5 has some weird sci-fi look to it that is immediately recognizable as "new" and "futuristic" it will just make the XSX, a matte rectangle, look cheap and old.

Another concept art PS5 (web LetsGoDigital)

sony-playstation-5-dualsense-wireless-game-controller.jpg

playstation-5-dualsense-controller-770x508.jpg

ps5-game-console.jpg

sony-playstation.jpg

playstation-5-preview.jpg

Wow this looks great. Industrial, sleek and in a form factor that we are used to. Having seen this, now I will just be let down with the official design when it's revealed... This could be the final design man.

Pallas

Gold Member
Jezz i hope PS5 dont look like that

look ugly af and wont sit well on my entertainment center

what were microsoft thinking when they designing a console that look like this pc tower

They were thinking what was the best design for optimal airflow for that monstrous APU.

I wouldn’t knock Sony at all if they went with an odd console design, especially consider their console may end up delivering more heat. I don’t think anyone wants a repeat of the PS4 Pro launch version with the jet engines.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is why internal battery is bad. After years it can break, expand and make the device unusable. Of course there is a place for internal battery but with controller, they could just make 2 versions or sell it with removable internal (battery pack) that could swap for AA
Like this. Batteries break, Ever battery

onQ123

This is why internal battery is bad. After years it can break, expand and make the device unusable. Of course there is a place for internal battery but with controller, they could just make 2 versions or sell it with removable internal (battery pack) that could swap for AA
Like this. Batteries break, Ever battery

Just 4 screws

Audiophile

Gold Member
The annoying thing with the battery in the DS4 is that it doesn't actually need to be much bigger [physically] and take up more space. When I modded my new controller I bought a double capacity battery which was barely a mm thicker and was merely a bit more snug in the brackets, at first you usually assume they're just knock offs with different labels but the play time increased roughly 80-90% by my calculations (measured with COD, where use is near constant). The crazy thing is that it doesn't take much longer to charge either. Still holding up great after a year of heavy use.

The DS4's weak battery is a matter of cost rather than space or any engineering hurdles.

Even though I love the DS4 design/layout and PS controllers in general, Sony cheaped out on build quality and on the battery; and frankly they still priced them too high.

The DS5 looks to be higher quality and hopefully it holds up well in the hands, one promising thing if you look closely is that there's a polished rim (lol) around the edge of the analogue stick dome area, presumably for lower friction and reduced wear.

I personally can't stand Xbox controller design (mushy face buttons/bumpers, excessive stick resistance, weird d-pad and asymmetric sticks) but I can't help but be jealous of their Elite/Elite2 controllers. I'm not holding out hope but I do wish Sony would make their own elite controller next-gen. I understand they like to leave it to third parties, but frankly none of them come close in build quality to the Elite controllers on Xbox which I've tried. Sometimes you have to take charge and step on a few toes to ensure quality options for your consumers.

Last edited:

GAF machine

Simply stunning... Looks like a cross between that prototype PS3 "boomerang" controller and a DualShock 4.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
If you look it from the top, it looks like the PS5 devkit (like the letter V). The Console might look like the controller

Are they going to retroactively patch their games to make use of the haptic feature? HAHA! Who am i kidding ... Elder Scroll 6 wont make any use, touchpad nor happtic triggers :p

Anyone wanna make a bet?

On Demand

Banned
Looks wonderful. And i said, it's refreshing Sony changed the design and tried something new instead using the exact same dualshock design. Every generation should bring something new and never seen and done before. It makes the 5 to 7 year transition worth it.

Can't wait to see the console and user interface. They should both have that far future aesthetic look of the controller.

Shmunter

One thing that is missing is quick party/game chat switch. Last night chatting away only to realise I was in the wrong channel. If no physical switch, at least work on the GUI Sony. Shit like that needs to be front and centre. Would also like a quick ‘away’ switchwhen getting a beer etc.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
For some reason that seems like the bigger reveal, but it shouldn't be. The console is just a box, while the controller is how we interact with every game.

That said, I want to see it too.
It's true. The thing will generally sit in a place most people can barely see it whereas the pad is what we interact with. We know the specs, we know pad, the next most important thing are the games. The box is pretty much the least important thing by a large margin.

Sw0pDiller

I have two dual shock 4 controllers and I am very rarely confronted with an empty battery. I charge my controllers Everytime on the PS4 while in sleep mode. I think the battery life is about 5 hours? More than enough per session for me.

What I see as an omen is de lack of feel with the gaming community from sony as of late. It's telling that they did not mention the 3,5mm Jack on their first post. It's something core gamers very much need. They could have guessed this lack of information would cause a slight riot.

Sw0pDiller

One thing that is missing is quick party/game chat switch. Last night chatting away only to realise I was in the wrong channel. If no physical switch, at least work on the GUI Sony. Shit like that needs to be front and centre. Would also like a quick ‘away’ switchwhen getting a beer etc.
Well, there is a mute button on the controller... Hopefully it will also mute the mic you have connected by wire. It would also be nice if they set the mic "off" by default. Or at least a choice in the os.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I love the design and color scheme. Way better than sticking with the tired DualShock design for yet another generation. It looks so futuristic and it’s forward thinking like this that makes Sony the big dog in the gaming industry. I literally cannot wait to see the console itself and I hope it looks just as cool and amazing as the DualSense. Bravo, Sony. You’ve outdone yourselves.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you look it from the top, it looks like the PS5 devkit (like the letter V). The Console might look like the controller

Are they going to retroactively patch their games to make use of the haptic feature? HAHA! Who am i kidding ... Elder Scroll 6 wont make any use, touchpad nor happtic triggers :p

Anyone wanna make a bet?
It will be a "haptic sword dlc" for only 14,99usd. Buy now with haptic shield for 24,99usd !!!

Top Bottom