• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.

sublimit

Banned
There's massive profit margin in controllers. I'd confidently say the price for DualSense™ will be $79.99.
Be ready to open your wallet. I think everything is going up this gen, games included.

Have they said anything about the Dualshock 4 being compatible with PS5 (similar to XB1 controller being compatible with XSX?)

I have four Dualshock 4 controllers lol

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Have they said anything about the Dualshock 4 being compatible with PS5 (similar to XB1 controller being compatible with XSX?)
I think they have said DS4 will work with PS4 games. Although I might be just imagining things. PSVR works, so maybe I just assumed they would.

Definitely no thoughts or hints on whether DS4 works with PS5 games though.

Eimran

While I loved the Dualshock 4 and my motto is if it ain't broke don't fix it, I do like the new design. It looks really clean.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the missing colors of the right buttons. Those are iconic.

VAVA Mk2

wIFLh4I.png
You can use whatever rechargable batteries you want and not have to buy a new controller when the internal battery craps out....

sublimit

Banned
I think they have said DS4 will work with PS4 games. Although I might be just imagining things. PSVR works, so maybe I just assumed they would.

Definitely no thoughts or hints on whether DS4 works with PS5 games though.
They really need to do it. That would also help reduce the price of the PS5 if they offer two different PS5 SKUs one with a Dualsense controller and one without it.

Last edited:

ILLtown

Human beings having symmetrical hands I think it's a good reason to keep the analogs in symmetrical positions.

What the fuck is with these "symmetrical hands" arguments? lol.

When I pick up a DualShock 4, my thumbs naturally fall on the D-pad and face buttons, exactly as they did with a PS1 controller. Is that a good thing in 2020?

Mind you, I think a keyboard and mouse are objectively better devices for playing many games, and if you can only use things that are symmetrical, you'd be fucked there.....

Doesn't look like much has changed. The analog sticks are still positioned too low for my taste. Need to switch the positioning of the analog sticks and dpad.

KAOS

I like it!!! Looks futuristic and yet similar to an xbox controller and hopefully as comfortable! The d-pad has always been great on the ps controllers so hopefully that also will be the case. Can't wait to see the ps 5 console!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why 2-tone and why do they still have to stick with the PS layout? The sticks were addons to the base controller then. I bet by tomorrow I will convince myself to preorder.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So is the white part a shell? Is it raised over the black part? It looks like it, but can't really tell

B_Boss

People kept saying they'd prefer the new PS5 over Xbox Series X, but who would have thought all it took was a knock off of the Xbox one controller to make them take the jump.

MS loves the share button idea as well. You’d be stupid foolish not to reference other great game console peripherals (or their ideas) as a gaming company these days.

Source?

Edit: oh shit Is real!!
Ps blog

edit 2: When I posted this comment, the OP was just a picture of the controller and a wall of text. Later the OP reformatted the text and added more photos and links.
Sony has decided to post fake rumors on their own blog now! how amazing! that cuts the middle man and it give them the clicks, what more could they want?

The controller looks great... like a proper PlayStation controller.

longdi

Banned
got 2.5 concerns /r

1. the 'GAMER' aesthetics, basically a mixed 4 tone design - black, white, blue, grey..
2. seems a part of msrp goes into the redesigned controller manufacturing chain. makes PS5 a $499 console at the least, im certain
2.5. Are the face buttons the hard clear plastic as per Xbox? I hate those, too hard for my soft dainty fingers

Otherwise, im glad they retained the flat wide L2/R2 and symmetric thumbs.

Wait, did Sony reveal the expected battery life? Complete disclosure?
At least give us a choice for replaceable AA batteries, Eneloops!

Last edited:

Longcat

It looks kinda neat! But I probably won't buy one. Same dpad as the DS4 - which I already have - and there's probably like a 0.07% chance the haptics and adaptive triggers will ever get used in PC games when even Microsoft's own Xbone rumble triggers almost never are.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
got 2.5 concerns /r

1. the 'GAMER' aesthetics, basically a mixed 4 tone design - black, white, blue, grey..
2. seems a part of msrp goes into the redesigned controller manufacturing chain. makes PS5 a $499 console at the least, im certain
2.5. Are the face buttons the hard clear plastic as per Xbox? I hate those, too hard for my soft dainty fingers

Otherwise, im glad they retained the flat wide L2/R2 and symmetric thumbs.

Wait, did Sony reveal the expected battery life? Complete disclosure?
At least give us a choice for replaceable AA batteries, Eneloops!

Da fuck? A redesigned controller automatically = $499? If there's anything for Sony to eat on profits...the redesign of the controller would be it.

Banned
Why 2-tone and why do they still have to stick with the PS layout? The sticks were addons to the base controller then. I bet by tomorrow I will convince myself to preorder.

apparently many developers, including Guerrilla Games wanted them to change it for the DualShock 4, but Sony thinks the familiarity of the symmetrical design is more important than ergonomics 🤷‍♂️

I personally don't care much but I also prefer it when the left stick is on top.
but then again I also prefer the right stick to be on top, playing CoD Ghosts on the Wii U Pro Controller opened my eyes to how great that feels in shooters!

ArcaneNLSC

OK so after seeing the new DualSense 5 Controller and how radical of a change it is from their traditional DualShock controllers and given what we know of the design does this change your mind or perception what you think the PS5 console will look like and when do you think we'll start seeing concept renders of what artists might think the PS5 might look like after seeing the new controller?

Tranquil

Now they have the light bar facing towards the player, I sure hope there is a way to turn that shit off. I don't want to be distracted by lights while I'm trying to focus on a boss.

Banned

in a side by side like this the DualSense literally looks like a fan made mockup... or like a flashy looking third party controller lol.

it really looks unreal IMO. like one of those fake nameless game console controllers you'll find in many Scifi games

but I am all for weird out there designs

edit: even the name DualSense sounds fake and made up for some weird fan design lol

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Now Imagine playing a dead space game on PS5 with a sexy cutting blade gun and feeling that blade leaving the gun when you press R2 ..

With 3D audio sound .. that creature is waiting for you at that far corner..

BAjU16X.jpg

2I4SrT0.jpg

BeardGawd

Banned
This controller is Sexy AF. If this is the direction they are going with on the console design I'm definitely intrigued. 👀

I will say it seems like the entire industry from 3rd party to even Nintendo's Pro controller are copying the Xbox form factor which isn't a bad thing IMO. Kudos to the team that designed the Xbox 360 controller which inspired them all.

longdi

Banned
in a side by side like this the DualSense literally looks like a fan made mockup... or like a flashy looking third party controller lol.

it really looks unreal IMO. like one of those fake nameless game console controllers you'll find in many Scifi games

but I am all for weird out there designs

edit: even the name DualSense sounds fake and made up for some weird fan design lol

Yeap DS5 design looks really off for a Sony product. Too gamery.
Which means PS5 design will be loud and multi toned? wonder if it will have RGB?

DS5 like a mix of boomerang but gamery.
j6rvc9hoff031.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom