• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Core Ultra “Arrow Lake-S” desktop lineup leak: 24-core 285K, 20-core 265K and 14-core 245K: Intel 20A ("2nm")

Leonidas

Good to see new CPUs on a new architecture coming out this year. Good to see Intel on another new manufacturing processs.

I wonder who will take the CPU gaming performance crown this year.

I wish Intel would put a large cache on CPU like they did with the 5775C 9 years ago.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Energy Heat GIF by Sitra

That's all that matters these days with Intel

FireFly

Sad that after all Intel's hype about process leadership, only a single Arrow Lake SKU will apparently be on 20A.

cebri.one

Sad that after all Intel's hype about process leadership, only a single Arrow Lake SKU will apparently be on 20A.
20A is a test node pretty much like Intel 4. Intel 3 (or 4+) and 18A (20A+) are the ones which will have enough volume for server. Client on Intel is going to be primarily TSMC for a couple of years.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
There is not much to take from this.
They need to make a huge jump in power efficiency, cut back on the power delivered by motherboards and increase IPC more than enough to offset the reduced clock speeds.

LordOfChaos

No hyper-threading ?

The end of an era ?
I assume that downsizes the cores and that's why they can squeeze more of them.

Arrow Lake is supposedly the first steps towards the goal of Keller's "Royal Core", with rentable units replacing the old SMT. It should work much better as cores with a high 1T demand can borrow units from others. This is almost a reverse from hyperthreading/SMT just trying to pack any idle execution units within one core with an extra thread. This one doesn't have rentable units, but the core architecture is getting ready for it by being rid of SMT.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...itch-Hyper-Threading-altogether.736036.0.html

SMT took probably a sub percent of the die size these days with everything else growing in transistor count, I don't think it was for that, SMT/HT was just always a bandaid and now they're working to do it a better way

Notice how Apple's M4 which just launched days ago and has the highest single thread performance on earth never had SMT

Last edited:

Nvzman

Energy Heat GIF by Sitra

That's all that matters these days with Intel
This isn't true at all with both Meteor Lake and Arrow Lake, they are running on a completely new chiplet structure similar to AMD and the Meteor Lake laptop chips are basically nearly as thermally and power efficient as AMD now. The only reason why 13900k and 14900k ran so hot was because it was basically maxing out the architecture like crazy.

I think Arrow Lake is going to be a massive shock, allegedly its going to deliver massive performance gains over the Alder Lake architecture while also being significantly more efficient and have very good thermal profiles.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
This isn't true at all with both Meteor Lake and Arrow Lake, they are running on a completely new chiplet structure similar to AMD and the Meteor Lake laptop chips are basically nearly as thermally and power efficient as AMD now. The only reason why 13900k and 14900k ran so hot was because it was basically maxing out the architecture like crazy.

I think Arrow Lake is going to be a massive shock, allegedly its going to deliver massive performance gains over the Alder Lake architecture while also being significantly more efficient and have very good thermal profiles.
You speak as if it's verified fact but I can't find any proof. What have I missed?

Regardless, it's still true. Intel has earned a reputation of high temps and until it's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's no longer an issue all people will be interested in is the temps. The blunt truth is that the speculation means nothing at the end of the day.

Buggy Loop

Kidding aside, I found this article today

Intel is making an high stake bet but one that will most likely pay off for them with ASML

TSMC said they they don’t need High NA EUV

Reminds me of when Intel said they don’t need EUV, betting against ASML in litho world is a risky move, I’m surprised that TSMC of all foundries would doubt high NA.

Could this be a massive chance for Intel to be ahead.

Housh

I might swap my 12700k with a 14900k when prices drop. It'll save me on heating for the winter.

Going from 32 threads to 20 threads in a new gen, that's interesting. I'm guessing the frequency is also going up a bit? Interested to see how this goes.

Solidus_T

Looks like these chips are doing away with SMT completely. I wonder what production workloads will look like on them? Not that I really care too much since I will still be sticking with AMD CPUs

Top Bottom