• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak info - Arrow Lake CPUs target 5% increase in ST and 15% in MT performance

winjer

Gold Member

To provide some context, Intel Arrow Lake-S is the next-generation desktop CPU platform that will make use of a new LGA-1851 socket. Due to the cancellation of Meteor Lake-S, Intel will not be introducing new Z890 and other 800 series chipsets this year. In response to this, Intel’s board partners are now introducing a refreshed Z790 motherboard series with support for the Wi-Fi7 standard.

Arrow Lake-S is not expected to hit the market until the second half of 2024, but it appears that the internal performance goals have already been established. According to the slide, the Arrow Lake-S architecture is projected to deliver a 5% improvement in single-threaded workloads and an average of 15% improvement in multi-threaded applications.

These numbers may ring a bell as they were previously shared by Igor’sLAB in July of this year, with some additional details. The next-generation desktop and mobile platforms will feature a new microarchitecture, known as Lion Cove for Performance Cores and Skymont for Efficient Cores. These new series will also make use of the Intel 20A process node and incorporate the Xe-LPG architecture based on Alchemist. While the CPU architectures may not lead to a major performance boost, the GPUs are expected to be at least twice as fast as the Xe-LP architecture used in Alder/Raptor Lake CPUs.

cPPazAY.jpg

Only a 5% improvement to IPC is not a great look for a new generation of CPUs.
I was expecting quite a bit more.

Tsaki

It's not even 5% increase in IPC, it's for Single-Thread overall, so that number includes clock speed improvements as well. Also, using Intel 20A? I'd like to see it to believe it, after all the consecutive foundry failings.

Intel has been stuck in a holding pattern for years now. Not sure how they bring back the Intel of old where they were constantly crushing their opponents chips each iteration. That period of late 2000's to mid 2010's when AMD was putting out garbage really made them complacent and they still haven't recovered

winjer

Gold Member
Intel has been stuck in a holding pattern for years now. Not sure how they bring back the Intel of old where they were constantly crushing their opponents chips each iteration. That period of late 2000's to mid 2010's when AMD was putting out garbage really made them complacent and they still haven't recovered

You are probably misremembering. But that period only started in 2006, after the release of the Core 2 Duo.
The Athlon and Athlon 64 were better than the Pentium 3 and Pentium 4.

You are probably misremembering. But that period only started in 2006, after the release of the Core 2 Duo.
The Athlon and Athlon 64 were better than the Pentium 3 and Pentium 4.
That is pretty much what I meant, but I probably wasn't detailed enough. From 2006 Intel began crushing AMD with one of their strongest products in a long time, and then AMD released the Bulldozer architecture in 2011 which was total shit and they lost all ability to challenge Intel. During that period of Intel dominance Intel somehow became complacent. Since 2017-2018 they haven't been able to get their spark back. They are just treading water. Even in the server market which they used to dominate they have lost significant ground and cannot seem to break out anymore.

winjer

Gold Member
That is pretty much what I meant, but I probably wasn't detailed enough. From 2006 Intel began crushing AMD with one of their strongest products in a long time, and then AMD released the Bulldozer architecture in 2011 which was total shit and they lost all ability to challenge Intel. During that period of Intel dominance Intel somehow became complacent. Since 2017-2018 they haven't been able to get their spark back. They are just treading water. Even in the server market which they used to dominate they have lost significant ground and cannot seem to break out anymore.

What happened was people like Brian Krzanich. A guy that cut Intel R&D to single digit percentages.
So of course that AMD, Apple, TSMC and others caught up. Some even surpassed Intel.

winjer

Gold Member
Yep, if you aren't growing you are dying. I truly believe that, but unfortunately it pays better for most CEO's to sacrifice the future of their company to juice the stock today.....

Some companies don't require much in terms of R&D.
For example, a company like Coca Cola, it's a lot more important a good marketing campaign, than innovation.
It's just a soft drink, and people just want the same thing year after year. People might even protest against anything new, like what happened with the New Coke.
But on a tech company, innovation is paramount.
Someone like Brian Krzanich, should have never been allowed to run Intel.

Leonidas

It's not even 5% increase in IPC, it's for Single-Thread overall, so that number includes clock speed improvements as well.
There's most likely a decrease in clocks vs. the 6.0 GHz of Raptor Lake.

IPC improvements will most likely be higher than 5-15%.

Schnauzer

The 7950x3d has been extremely dissapointing. It's my own fault. I bought ingot the hype and almost all the games I play perform better on the 7800x3d and i13900k. I was ready to go back to Intel; however; now, I will wait and see what AMD provides.

the pentium 5 targeted 7ghz+.
getting close to that now.

wouldnt be surprised if intel goes back to a big daddy core at ~10ghz and then throws some cores around it.

Bojji

The 7950x3d has been extremely dissapointing. It's my own fault. I bought ingot the hype and almost all the games I play perform better on the 7800x3d and i13900k. I was ready to go back to Intel; however; now, I will wait and see what AMD provides.

Can't you disable non 3d cache cores and turn this cpu into 7800x3d?

OverHeat

« generous god »
I’m in a different boat the 7950x3d as been a great general and gaming cpu for me

Top Bottom