• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Core i9-9900KS 5.0 GHz Flagship CPU TDP Detailed – 127W at Base Frequency, Higher When Hitting Boost Across All Cores

thelastword

Banned
Intel Core i9-9900KS To Feature A TDP of 127W at 4.0 GHz, Higher at Boost Clocks

The faster clock speeds would definitely result in slightly higher power consumption numbers and now we know what the TDP is supposed to be like. Listed over in the CPU support page for ASUS’s ROG Maximus XI APEX motherboard, the Core i9-9900KS is revealed to have a TDP of 127W. This is the highest TDP of any mainstream (LGA 1151 socketed) chip that Intel has released recently and it shows that the chip is all but an extremely-binned Core i9-9900K built to assert Intel’s leadership in CPU clock speeds.

But that isn’t all for this story, the TDP figures that are suggested are measured at the base clock. The 95W TDP figures for the Core i9-9900K and several other 9th Gen chips are taken at their CPU base clocks so if the 127W TDP fo the Core i9-9900KS was measured at its base clock of 4.0 GHz, its boost TDP would be much higher considering the chip has an all-core boost of 5.0 GHz & that leads to two issues, cooling and motherboard compatibility.

Not only do you require the best cooling (Liquid AIO/Custom-Loop) but you also need to check if the Z390 motherboard you’ll be using with the Core i9-9900KS supports the higher TDP chip. It is very similar to the FX-9000 series release from AMD which featured a TDP up to 220W & required special AM3+ series motherboards to designed specifically for them. There are a handful of Z390 motherboards that do feature high-end VRMs and power delivery systems but those cost around the $400-$500 US range so it will be interesting to see the recommended boards for the Core i9-9900KS.

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-9900ks-5-ghz-cpu-127w-tdp-october-launch/

thelastword

Banned
Not only is the TDP high, how about the price?

LaYNFof.jpg

Closer

I've reached a point in my life where a lower power usage is an important selling point to me. Less power, heat and noise.

I'm always more excited at mobile processors/technology as they usually do so much with only a tiny bit of power. I find it fascinating.

Those desktop Intel parts aren't very efficient and become very hot if you want to run them at their reported maximum boost clocks, and you will need to invest in serious cooling.

AMD as the 3900x, it barely becomes warm under load, has almost 50% more processing power, higher base clock, it doesn't even use much more energy.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I've reached a point in my life where a lower power usage is an important selling point to me. Less power, heat and noise.

I reached that point a few years ago, so what I did was build a dedicated cooled equipment closet for my all my equipment, keeps my heavily over locked 7700k super cool while being completely quiet to the outside world. Fiber USB and HDMI allow me to make sure I can use the computer from my office, home theater and living room at any time and have access to USB ports and 4K outputs.

Plenty of people have already OC'd a 9900K to 5.0 ghz across all cores.......the power usage and heat generation won't be any different from a 9900K you OC'ed yourself.........so we already know exactly how much power it will use and how much heat it will generate.......

The main difference for most people is this is now official clocking at stock...........instead of playing the silicon lottery for a 5.0 ghz on all cores OC........

thelastword

Banned
5.0 Ghz across all cores will show people, the heat, the powerdraw and the cooling solution needed to tame that heat mass...….Most people just watch these tech tubers test every 9900k with AIO coolers, where they max out clocks and people feel it's all out of the box.....NO. You need further investments in good cooling. The motherboards for the 9900k is already sky high and even then, the performance of the chip at such overclocks is no revelation over AMD's Zen 2, the price of the chip itself and the cooling you need to get it there is certainly not worth it....

Yet, I do wonder what type of Cooler Intel will put in this box with a chip that has an all core 5.0 Ghz clock speed....?

Intel doesn't include a stock cooler.......but if you're aircooling I think most people are running Noctua NH-D15 or similar.......realistically for a 9900K with a 5.0 ghz all-core OC you really want to be in a good AIO or even custom loop.......

thelastword

Banned
Heh! So if you buy a 9900KS all core 5.0Ghz at a suggested price of $600.00, you don't have everything you need in that box to make that chip run? Hmmmmmm……..

Soltype

Intel doesn't include a stock cooler.......but if you're aircooling I think most people are running Noctua NH-D15 or similar.......realistically for a 9900K with a 5.0 ghz all-core OC you really want to be in a good AIO or even custom loop.......
Aftermarket air is better than AIO water, only custom loops provide better cooling with liquid.AIO main advantage is how small they are.

johntown

Banned
I like Intel but a custom motherboard and the price and power hog seem a bit over the top. I want to see real world gaming performance improvements before I even consider this.

I remember AMD having 5 GHz FX CPUs back in the day, but at least they were cheap heaters for your mancave.

Intel needs to do something with their pricing and maybe even become fabless. 9900k fabbed at 7nm EUV (TSMC/Samsung) would be an excellent choice, as long as it consumes half the power and it costs $250 max.

Top Bottom