• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel bringing 8 core i9 for $600. 11900K.

My 5900x be like:

bette davis judging you GIF

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Coffin Lake is here....

Gonna ride out my I7-10700 I scored for $230 until Zen 4

Interested in how these back-ported CPU cores are gonna work out but with these prices I'll watch from a far distance

spons

Gold Member
I fully expect Linus to make a video sponsored by Intel where he's building a PC with one of the new processors, then tearing the entire line-up a second asshole the very next day. He did something similar with nvidia and it was just as pathetic back then as it will be with Intel in a couple of weeks or whatever.

Danknugz

This is the generation to skip since 12th gen is supposedly coming out at the end of this year with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 on 10nm (finally).
I’m overdue on my 6700k but thankfully it handles most I throw at it with a 2080ti. Holding out for ddr5 for a new build

• Strength
Reactions: RNG

DeaDPo0L84

I have a i79700k and a rtx 3090 and been considering getting a new cpu to better match my new gpu, but yea this ain't it.

Starhowl

Alright, we get the idea - you're getting more cores, for less money. But what about Thunderbolt 4? So alright, you're a cool creator that needs that many cores, but at the same time, for some obscure reason, as a creator, you don't have a need for Thunderbolt 4. o_O

It's like you point out that the chainsaw is cool, but the gas for it is in another game, in the part where the moon is.

Thunderbolt 3 boards for AMD are at least $100 to $150 more expensive (if the chipset also is supposed to support PCIe 4.0, which was introduced with last Ryzen generation CPUs in 2019! :pie_eyeroll:

With an Intel CPU at least your life won't be an adventure with an unsolvable riddle. :pie_raybans:

Last edited:
Haha, Intel just be getting absolutely dire yields on Coffin Lake, I mean Rocket Lake, to be pricing like this.

Super glad I have this 3900X though that I picked up early last year going by the ongoing shortages in AMD CPU right now. A lot of people won't have a choice, with no AMD products available to buy they have to get Intel or nothing.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I just need a motherboard that supports PCI-4.0 and I'll be on board.

EDIT: Nvm. I just don't trust the AMD CPU/MB with Nvidia GPUs. :(

Last edited:

Zathalus

Neither company would have anything to gain over the other by sabotaging either GPU or CPU performance. At this point AMD CPUs are the optimal choice and Intel does not appear to be challenging that anytime soon.

VFXVeteran

Banned
What's wrong with that combo?

Been using a sTRX40 mobo/X3990 CPU with a 2080TI and more recently a 3900 without issues.

Some benchmarks in gaming have had less than optimal numbers when compared to Intel CPUs. But I think I'll take the plunge on AMD this time.

Schmick

2080ti lol.
Lol wow. I keep thinking about upgrading mine (1070) to a second hand 20xx card but been wondering if my CPU will only bottleneck the GPU plus prices seem to be massively inflated in the second hand market at the moment. Probably better just to wait it out until I can upgrade the whole system. Buy I think if I can just get a DLSS compatible card it would extend the life of my PC.

Schmick

I have never come across this mentally before. From anecdotal evidence I cannot think of time when they don't work properly together.

FireFly

Some benchmarks in gaming have had less than optimal numbers when compared to Intel CPUs. But I think I'll take the plunge on AMD this time.
AMD actually matches or beats Intel when using Ampere. It's with Turing that it sometimes has an issue at certain resolutions.

JMarcell

250W is way too much for a CPU TDP. Intel has to push their power to the limit to be competitive against Ryzen 5800/5900.

I have never come across this mentally before. From anecdotal evidence I cannot think of time when they don't work properly together.
Nvidia even used to make motherboard chipsets for both Intel and AMD back in the day until those companies decided they wanted control of that. I remember when my ancient Athlon 64 ran on a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset.

Yeah intel turned off hyper threading on that generation of cpu for some mad reason.
There was nothing mad about it, this was when AMD had not released anything competitive yet (Zen 1 was not competitive in gaming at all) and Intel were at the height of their arrogance and douchery. And it wasn't that gen of CPU, Intel started segmenting the market into HT and no-HT long before that, no one remembers the 4-core 4-thread 6600K? It wasn't until Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) that AMD was genuinely competitive in gaming and suddenly Intel started including HT at all tiers again, I can't fucking imagine why. Intel really can go fuck themselves, I really hope ARM destroys x86 and Intel for good this coming decade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom