• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insomniac Leak] Spider Man-2 needed to sell 7.2 million copies to be profitable. Budget breakdown and the reason why it was so expensive found

Draugoth

Gold Member
For those wondering why they spent so much, at least most of it went to salaries, bonuses and benefits for their own employee.

Oh, and they also need to sell 7.2M copies at full price to breakeven, which is insane.

By comparassion: Ghost of Tsushima costed 60 million.

Source

qap3wAE.png

YrTd9uz.jpeg

AXyDLZG.jpeg

Orange are devs from other teams

EFUD0nX.png

Last edited:

Stuart360

I dont know how it can happen but game budgets really need to be brought down some how.
I remember a few years ago EA and Ubisoft were talking about consoles and PC's being so good at pushing poluygon counts this gen that studios would be able to use 3D scanners to scan objects and create a ready made asset very quick, saving a ton of money as artists building assets from scratch takes time and money, in fact asset building is the most time consuming and expensive part of development.
It doesnt seem to really of had an effect though so far.

simpatico

You can't just drop a comment like that and not share some details on how your AAA development studio operates.
We can start with California offices and the shit they throw money away on in the building. Atomic Heart probably got developed on their snack budget. Get some humble cubicles in Kansas City and get back to me.

Step 2: fire everyone who doesn't actively code

You realize STALKER 2 is being developed in a bombed out warzone?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Unless I am missing something... where are we getting 7.2M sales at full price to break even?

And people tend to look at that final number and say, XYZ game cost such and such to make. But fail to see that that number is amortized over several years. Net spend directly tied to Spiderman, over 5 years, was $295M. That's an average of $59M/year.

That sounds about right for what any AAA studio costs these days in NA. The only way you get that much lower is for your studio to be based in asia or some parts of Europe.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Movies are in the same boat with these $200-300mil Marvel movies with some dodgy cgi, then you see soemthing like Godzilla Minus One with its $13mil budget.

It’s made in Japan. You think directors, actors, etc in Japan get paid the same as they do in Hollywood?

Context is everything.

Exactly what I was going to post.

You can’t tell me money isn’t being wasted. I refuse to believe it.

But that’s what happens when talent is in high demand and there’s a limited amount of it.

Last edited:

tommib

6 million on localization costs. Sony games have stupendous dubbing in European Portuguese. It’s at the level of any dubbed high-profile film.

Everything is expensive in these games. Sony is totally in in the AAA blockbuster and it’s not coming back.

7.2 million units to break even though is absolutely nuts.

Stuart360

It’s made in Japan. You think directors, actors, etc in Japan get paid the same as they do in Hollywood?

Context is everything.
I dont think its 20-30 times cheaper to make movies in Japan. Cheaper yes but i bet Toho could of produced the same results as Godzilla Minus One on a 40-50mil budget in Hollywood.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
god damn, with that headcount cost, they should have develope at least 3 games

yurinka

Source

qap3wAE.png

YrTd9uz.jpeg

AXyDLZG.jpeg

EFUD0nX.png

Source

qap3wAE.png

YrTd9uz.jpeg

AXyDLZG.jpeg

It's worth mentioning that this is only the development budget. Doesn't include the marketing budget (ads, PR, CM etc) from both Sony and Disney.

GoT didn't cost $60M, this is impossible. If real, the $60M would be what has been listed here as "Insomniac Games Headcount: $194.5M" (not counting outsourcing, support, marketing etc)

Isn’t that headcount all of Insomniac?
No, on its peak the project they had 264 Insomniac employees working on it, most of the project the number was way smaller. As of 2021 (they grew since then) they were over 400 people. In LinkedIn they now have over 500 people.

One word: unsustainable
Spider-Man, its remaster, Morales, Rift Apart, Spider-Man 2 and the PC ports (excluding Rift Apart, we still don't have its data) are all profitable. Seems sustainable enough to me.

Last edited:

Fbh

But why was the increase so big compared to Spiderman 1?
It's not just inflation. Did they drastically increase wages since SP1? Did they have to hire a lot of new people for SP2?.

Either way, it's a shame we don't get info like this from other games. It would be interesting to see how the SP2 budget compared to, say, Hogwarts Legacy, or Jedi Survivor, or Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate 3.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We can start with California offices and the shit they throw money away on in the building. Atomic Heart probably got developed on their snack budget. Get some humble cubicles in Kansas City and get back to me.

Step 2: fire everyone who doesn't actively code

You realize STALKER 2 is being developed in a bombed out warzone?

And how many games did Stalker and Atomic Heart sell again?

That doesn't include the marketing budget or the licensing cut Marvel takes.

Of course it includes marketing and licensing cut to Marvel.

god damn, with that headcount cost, they should have develope at least 3 games

They did. It's called.......

- Spiderman: Miles Morales
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Spiderman

Top Bottom