• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's clear up the reason for Squaresoft's "demise" and why Square and Enix merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

Man, Wada really did not have any idea what do with all the toys he inherited.

I think that's a major part of the mistakes right there; Hironobu wasn't the best businessman, but he had creative vision. Wada was the opposite.

anaron

Man, Wada really did not have any idea what do with all the toys he inherited.

I think that's a major part of the mistakes right there; Hironobu wasn't the best businessman, but he had creative vision. Wada was the opposite.

I think had Wada "left things alone" to some extent, the company would have been able to keep pushing out quality without Sakaguchi's departure due to the incredible talent that still remained. Unfortunately, he effectively destroyed their environment, shoved said talent into the sidelines and cut off the option to branch out and get experimental on a large scale.

MogCakes

That's not really right. Sega Sammy is the holding company, and it wholly owns both Sega and Sammy. And then Sega wholly owns Atlus.

That's like...a small fish inside a big fish inside a bigger fish. And they're all alive. Business is hell weird.

mj-gif.gif

Wonder what his reaction would be to XIII getting two sequels.

I'm not into this company or JPRGs but if someone wonders about why it happened, I'll just link them to this gigantic brilliantly detailed OP. Thanks, anaron and the GAFers with their insight!

DJIzana

Yosuke Matsuda is the best thing to happen to Square Enix in a long time. Seems like he loves helping grow younger talent and knows what people want. I'm so happy that Square has a CEO like him.... as for Wada? I never did like how the man ran the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom