• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Ming-Chi Kuo says PS VR2 production has been cut by 20% and general Virtual Reality sales are down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some critical updates on the sales/shipments of AR/VR headset devices:

1. Sony has cut its 2023 production plan for the PS VR2 by about 20%.
  2. The product lifecycle shipment for Meta’s Quest Pro is only around 300,000 units.
  3. Pico (China’s largest AR/VR headset brand) shipments in 2022 were more than 40% lower than expected.
Conclusion:

1. There is currently insufficient evidence to suggest that AR/VR headsets can become the next star product in consumer electronics in the foreseeable future.
  2. Apple’s announcement event is likely the last hope for convincing investors that the AR/MR headset device could have a chance to be the next star product in consumer electronics.
  3. The current market consensus may overestimate AR/VR headset devices’ contribution to key component suppliers over the next few years, particularly in the optical-related.
End of Source Quote

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Pop Corn GIF by Alexander IRL

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ok Eddie.

Edit: lol, the forum software knows too :messenger_tears_of_joy:
eddiegofey.png

2/5 of the suggestions in his Xbox has no gaems thread and 3/5 in the weird Sonic vs Mario thread too, I'm guessing it's a similar story for many more he's made since Eddie's ban which his current history seems to end at.

Last edited:
Maybe because VR as it stands is not that interesting, a few gimmick 2 hour experiences and, what, 1? game approaching AAA (Half Life), at least for me, VR probably needs another 5-10 years of improvements/new features (including but not limited to solving the movement issue in some way other than janky teleporting, and having some way to control the game without needing to just be holding a controller)

Maybe because VR as it stands is not that interesting, a few gimmick 2 hour experiences and, what, 1? game approaching AAA (Half Life), at least for me, VR probably needs another 5-10 years of improvements/new features (including but not limited to solving the movement issue in some way other than janky teleporting, and having some way to control the game without needing to just be holding a controller)

Agreed, it's cool technology but it lacks refinement and is borderline gimmicky, no ones to tie a big piece of electrical junk around their head.

I think PSVR2 will still be relatively successful, and I think Sony's aim was to create the trend rather than take advantage of it, we're years off before it will become more mainstream.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Reports of production cuts of 50 percent before launch and then a further 20 percent for 2023....

Will Smith Best Gif GIF

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
taking a quick break from my posting hiatus to inform people that the PSVR2 has a monthly installment payment option.

I just ordered one direct from Sony's PSVR2 website and noticed the monthly installment option (klarna). I qualified for 0% APR and will essentially pay $50 a month for the next year.

I don't think everyone qualifies for 0% APR but worth looking into if you want one but don't want to shell out $600 at once.

Haters can laugh at production cuts. I just want to play Village in VR.

BreakOut

$400 and I will go buy one right this second. $450 and I’d at least look into it. Doesn’t really matter if they’re going to make or lose money at a cheaper price, because they’re not gonna sell enough at $550. Eat money on the hardware, make it up on the games. They need to focus on getting that shit into peoples hands.
Also, If they let the VR die like they did the vita they’re gonna lose all credibility. Hopefully they don’t Google graveyard the VR.

Corndog

Banned

Some critical updates on the sales/shipments of AR/VR headset devices:

1. Sony has cut its 2023 production plan for the PS VR2 by about 20%.
  2. The product lifecycle shipment for Meta’s Quest Pro is only around 300,000 units.
  3. Pico (China’s largest AR/VR headset brand) shipments in 2022 were more than 40% lower than expected.
Conclusion:

1. There is currently insufficient evidence to suggest that AR/VR headsets can become the next star product in consumer electronics in the foreseeable future.
  2. Apple’s announcement event is likely the last hope for convincing investors that the AR/MR headset device could have a chance to be the next star product in consumer electronics.
  3. The current market consensus may overestimate AR/VR headset devices’ contribution to key component suppliers over the next few years, particularly in the optical-related.
End of Source Quote

Man those quest numbers are terrible.

Fredrik

This could have been avoided if there was official PC support.
I don’t think it would’ve changed much, would’ve just sold to some PCVR enthusiasts that are now waiting for a new Index.

What would actually change things is big AAA devs jumping in and investing properly with their A teams.

* Microsoft jumping in and allowing us to use PCVR headsets on Xbox and having a real official VR version of Starfield at launch, and a Halo Infinite VR version with hand tracking grapple and aiming, Gears VR, DOOM VR, etc.

* Sony pushing the main teams at Naughty Dog and Santa Monica to make their next TLOU/Uncharted/new IP for PSVR2/3 at launch.

* Activision Blizzard making a proper VR version for the next Call of Duty day 1.

* Ubisoft making a VR version of the next big Assassin’s Creed day 1.

* Valve making Half Life 3 VR exclusive and available on PC with superb usage of the hardware and also on Xbox through the PCVR compatibility mentioned earlier and on PSVR2/3.

* Nintendo jumping into VR.

Last edited:

Rykan

It's just never going to be a big thing for gaming as long as it's treated like an accessory. It needs to be the main focus of the system. Not a lot of people are going to spend 550$ after having already spend another 500$ just to play some optional VR modes of games that were clearly not designed with VR in mind or some 6 hour long Horizon Spin off.

I understand that nobody wants to take such a huge risk, but I do think it's either an All In or don't even bother situation.

Ozriel

M$FT
and I think Sony's aim was to create the trend rather than take advantage of it, we're years off before it will become more mainstream.

This was the aim of the original PSVR. This new one is aimed at appealing to a bigger audience.

should still be successful, especially if it gets more support, Sony gets less greedy with software and it gets a price drop.

UnNamed

Banned
VR can be entertaining, and there is a market for it.

But VR will never be mainstream, especially when the device cost more than the console/PC which is already expensive.

Another overrated market like the Kinect and motion controls in general.

Very sad given how good the tech is in the PSVR2. But like with the Mega CD and how SEGA didn't support it well with In-House software from its main teams, its much the same for the PSVR2

Tomi

There are few great games on those vr devices and they are cutting production and changing sale estimates?

* SHOCKED *

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
VR’s killer app, when the tech is finally cord- and hassle-free, won’t be video games. This is the main reason it’s not taken the world by storm yet.
When VR is as easy to use and carry as your phone and it becomes integral to an experience like the current social networks, that’s when it’ll reach the tipping point and humanity will be royally fucked for good. I’m sure the gaming applications will be amazing by then, though, so gamers will go out with a bang.

reksveks

Why is everyone so obsessed with telling us that VR sucks, is doomed etc?
I would say that there is a difference between vr sucks and vr is doomed but I may be over thinking the second statement. I don't think the current version of VR technology is going to break out of being a niche.

Re the bigger point, I wouldnt take it too seriously, unfortunately I think we (especially on this forum) are generally a bit conservative re changes so anytime there is something new then we don't like it. I think it applies to multiple topics in gaming and obviously everything else.

Davevil

Since vr causes me heavy motion sickness, selfishly i am glad that the future of industry is still far from adopting vr as main technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom