• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Illumination’s Plans for Animated Super Mario Bros Movie.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/super-mario-bros-animated-movie-illumination-1203021006/

Illumination founder Chris Meledandri wants to make an animated version of “Super Mario Bros.”

Meledandri, who is the producer behind “Despicable Me” and “The Secret Life of Pets,” relishes the challenge of adapting a property that previously suffered a bumpy transition from game console to the big screen.

“I like that this was not done well the first time,” he said. “I think that’s more exciting or more worthy than simply making another version of a film that was done incredibly well to begin with.”

This time he’s working closely with Shigeru Miyamoto, the designer and producer responsible for cooking up “Super Mario Bros.”

“We are keeping him front and center in the creation of this film,” said Meledandri. “I’ve rarely seen that happen with any adaptation where the original creative voice is being embraced like we’re embracing Miyamoto. There’s a history in Hollywood of people believing that they know better than the people responsible for a property. I’ve made that mistake before.”

“It’s an ambitious task,” notes Meledandri. “The challenge is taking things that are so thin in their original form and finding depth that doesn’t compromise what generations of fans love about Mario, but also feels organic to the iconography and can support a three-act structure.”

“Super Mario Bros.” is in “priority development” at Illumination and could be in theaters by 2022.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I think a movie could do really well. It will be interesting to have these video game characters speak after years of non verbal communication. It's also a recognizable name to all ages.

Top Bottom