• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones game is now in 'production' as MachineGames staff switch from Deathloop

Valentino

How come they let us know an Indiana Jones games was going to be made in the first place? Everyone's sick to death of these games getting announced before they've even started production. Gives me Avengers vibes.

kyussman

*High sodium content warning

Anyway, I think that this game is the one and only fabled multiplat post purchase Bethesda game
*Total misinterpretation of a joke warning
As I just said to someone else,not everything said on here is a part of the console wars....it was a joke....fucking sad state of affairs so many people can't see a simple joke and have to go straight into console wars mode.

Markio128

Pffft! Bringing sales into a discussion about who is more iconic!

The only people who know who Nathan Drake is are PS players. Everybody and their dog knows who Lara Croft is (and Indiana Jones for that matter).

Definitely a game to look forward to. I loved the PC games back in the day.
The majority of gamers know who Nathan Drake is. Also, there is an Uncharted film on the way, so more people not into games will also know who he is. Lara Croft was an icon on the PS1 and then shit films and overly serious games killed her iconography in my opinion. Also, Nathan and Sully have more charisma in their butts than Lara and her companions have.

BigLee74

The majority of gamers know who Nathan Drake is. Also, there is an Uncharted film on the way, so more people not into games will also know who he is. Lara Croft was an icon on the PS1 and then shit films and overly serious games killed her iconography in my opinion. Also, Nathan and Sully have more charisma in their butts than Lara and her companions have.

I didn’t know who Nathan Drake was until I joined this forum, and I’ve been a gamer for decades.

My wife, not a gamer, knows who Lara Croft and Indiana Jones are.

My cats arse, also not a gamer, knows who Lara Croft and Indiana Jones are.

Markio128

I didn’t know who Nathan Drake was until I joined this forum, and I’ve been a gamer for decades.

I understand that, but my point is that millions of gamers have grown to love Nathan and crew to the point that they are now PS icons. Just because you, your wife and cats arse haven’t heard of him means bugger all, just like my daughter never having heard of Lara Croft means the same. She has also never heard of Indiana Jones. We’re talking about new generations of gamers now.

If you really think Nathan Drake is more iconic than Indiana Jones to anyone over 25 (at the very least), you're fooling yourself, bro.

SSfox

If you really think Nathan Drake is more iconic than Indiana Jones to anyone over 25 (at the very least), you're fooling yourself, bro.
In the videogame business, Nathan is far more popular than Indiana Jones.

If you're talking about Cinema, Indiana jones is of course more popular, but Cinema isn't the topic here, the topic is games.

Markio128

If you're talking about Cinema, Indiana jones is of course more popular, but Cinema isn't the topic here, the topic is games.
Precisely. He is also now more popular than Lara Croft.

Let me put it that way : if this Indiana Jones game happens to match the quality of Uncharted 4, it'll be bigger. The franchise is just another level, with a much more interesting lore.

Markio128

Let me put it that way : if this Indiana Jones game happens to match the quality of Uncharted 4, it'll be bigger. The franchise is just another level, with a much more interesting lore.
You’re completely missing the point. The Uncharted series has become popular because of the characters in the game. Nathan Drake and friends have become the most loved game characters created in recent memory. Harrison Ford made Indy an iconic character, not a game developer.

Thirty7ven

Banned

All I take from this is that you’re an out of touch old fart. Congrats I guess, welcome to the real world.

draliko

You know gaffers are out of touch with reality when they think Indy has less appeal and is less known than nathan drake... you're like the hipsters of gaming... you should spend less time on the forums and more playing games and talking to real people...

Banned
Okay, so which Tomb Raider game sold more than Uncharted 4? Considering Nathan can’t rely on boobs and ass, I think he is doing quite well for himself.

well did Nathan Drake have 2 movies starring Angelina Jolie?
the first one being the highest grossing female lead action film ever at the time?

was Nathan Drake ever on the cover of the PlayBoy? or in Music videos?

Lara Croft was a pop culture icon at the time. Nathan Drake is a character that I bet noone in the general public even ever heard of, and even if they know Uncharted I bet there are many who wouldn't recognize the appearance or the name of the main character.

the damn Movie was even called "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" because she was that iconic

BigLee74

All I take from this is that you’re an out of touch old fart. Congrats I guess, welcome to the real world.
You’re probably not wrong! 😂

Doesn’t alter the fact though that Nathan Drake is nowhere near as iconic as the other two, and to try and argue against that is just silly.

Last edited:

SSfox

Precisely. He is also now more popular than Lara Croft.
Right now i think yes, but Lara during PS1 era was a phenomena no other character came close to (including Nathan) when it comes to popularity ,at the time i think she was even more popular than both Mario and Sonic,. Reboot Lara is popular but not as much as during Core Design games era.

With "If" we can go live in the Moon or build 5 taj Mahal in each country. Only facts matters and facts are that right now Indiana Jones is nobody in the videogame genre. When you talk about adventure hero explorer in gaming, Nathan and Lara are the only ones that comes to minds.

Depends, when they are based on the movie then yeah when they only use the universe as a basis then no.

I can't think of a movie game that was really that good, the only one come to my mind is Batman Arkham franchise, tho it was based on Comic book more than movie, but the Dark Night movie was the big motivator to make this game at that time, yet it's still more comic based than movie.

Last edited:

amigastar

Right now i think yes, but Lara during PS1 era was a phenomena no other character came close to (including Nathan) when it comes to popularity ,at the time i think she even more popular than both Mario and Sonic,. Reboot Lara is popular but not as much as during Core Design games era.

With "If" we can go live in the Moon or build 5 taj Mahal in each country. Only facts matters and facts are that right now Indiana Jones is nobody in the videogame genre. When you talk about adventure hero explorer in gaming, Nathan and Lara are the only ones that comes to minds.

I can't think of a movie game that was really that good, the only one come to my mind is Batman Arkham franchise, tho it was based on Comic book more than movie, but the Dark Night movie was the big motivator to make this game at that time, yet it's still more comic based than movie.
Well there is Star Wars Kotor and Indiana Jones himself with Fate of Atlantis, then True Lies on the SNES, Blade Runner game from 1997, Goldeneye on the N64, the Lego games, Aladdin on SNES etc.

Last edited:

SSfox

Well there is Star Wars Kotor and Indiana Jones himself with Fate of Atlantis, then True Lies on the SNES, Blade Runner game from 1997, Goldeneye on the N64, the Lego games, Aladdin on SNES, Star Wars SNES games,.
Both Aladdin games in Nes and genesis were great, forgot about those. And Golden Eye was legendary indeed. Not a big fan of Star Wars games tho.

But there were some but those games are quite long time ago, but recently it's not something that happens imo, but maybe it this Indiana Jones can surprise who knows, and i'm specially looking forward for the James Bond game by IO as i'm big fan of 007. I don't have high hopes but if they can surprise then it's a welcome surprise.

Last edited:

driqe

So if Deathloop is done was was it delayed? I might cancel my preorder.
Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

It was a sneaky tactic by Microsoft

Last edited:

Fredrik

So if Deathloop is done was was it delayed? I might cancel my preorder.
No trolling, I like Bethesda and MS, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they delayed it just to not look as hopelessly behind on software output.

I mean, seriously, it’s been half a year since launch and they haven’t launched a single 1st party game. Not one.

Launching a 1st party game on PS5 first at this point would be so hilariously bad that there is no end to it. They need to at least show some upcoming games for Xbox at E3 before they release games on a competitor’s console.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
You’re probably not wrong! 😂

Doesn’t alter the fact though that Nathan Drake is nowhere near as iconic as the other two, and to try and argue against that is just silly.

Tomb Raider stock has plummeted hard. Let’s not forget its iconic imagery amounts to a big pair of boobs holding a pair of handguns. It’s over and all the efforts at reinventing it amount to a poor man’s Uncharted.

Indy is a movie icon for sure, but he’s very much associated with Harrison Ford. We all grew up watching those movies, but what originally started as an American James Bond, is now very much a product of its time. What is Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford? Hell, what’s Indiana Jones without nazis? A much harder sell if we look at the movies. Also, turning Indy into a character that shoots hundreds of people in a game is just silly af, we already know the character and the rules of its world. As a videogame, it will need to be quite something to even get near Uncharted levels of success.

In the end it’s a bit worthless to say Superman is more iconic than Iron Man, when Iron Man is a much more popular character.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
*Total misinterpretation of a joke warning
As I just said to someone else,not everything said on here is a part of the console wars....it was a joke....fucking sad state of affairs so many people can't see a simple joke and have to go straight into console wars mode.
Ok mate. If that indeed was the case then I apologise

kuncol02

Banned
Tomb Raider stock has plummeted hard. Let’s not forget its iconic imagery amounts to a big pair of boobs holding a pair of handguns. It’s over and all the efforts at reinventing it amount to a poor man’s Uncharted.
Tomb Raider remake is best Uncharted game. Uncharted actually don't even come close to it in quality.

Kerotan

This is a very minor, minor thing, but as a developer, I'm kind of confused when someone says it is in production when it is really in development.

Unless I am totally wrong and they are producing the gold copy version right now?
Somebody said we should be fighting Nazis in this game. I think we should just fight you.

MrJTeera

images

I hope it’s as fun as this one. Even more with what can be achieved nowadays. Hell, use Euphoria engine like what they planned for the cancelled PS3 game.

Top Bottom