• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the event that PS5 Pro does release in 2024 but there is no new Xbox Series console because there is already Series S & X

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, there will be no Series X2. Like I said before, I'd be pissed as a Series X owner when Microsoft is actively neglecting their responsibility of optimizing to the metal for their premium console. I wonder if they even remember the Series X existence.

So a random Tweet from a pure Sony Pony that shows Gamepass is landing in more places somehow equates to Xbox is going 3rd party?

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ChiefDada

Gold Member
So a random Tweet from a pure Sony Pony that shows Gamepass is landing in more places somehow equates to Xbox is going 3rd party?

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Not at all I was focused on the actual advertisement. I almost never pay attention to the extra commentary of the poster with these tweets. All I'm saying is there is a better way to advertise that doesn't leave your premium console in the cold. They could say "Experience this once in a generation game on our most powerful console Series X, great value console, Series S, or streaming via Xcloud." Just spitballing but something to that effect. Imo there's no reason to literally leave the consoles out of the ad. But based on how they designed this ad, I do think it's a clear signal that console hardware has gone far down the priority list.

simpatico

I would wonder why anyone on console only would even upgrade to 5 Pro or X+. We've had like 2 significant next gen only titles in the years they've been on the shelf. Probably should wait until the number of available titles reaches double digits.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I would wonder why anyone on console only would even upgrade to 5 Pro or X+. We've had like 2 significant next gen only titles in the years they've been on the shelf. Probably should wait until the number of available titles reaches double digits.

Well your claims of only "2 significant" current gen games is highly subjective at best but more importantly, the PS5 Pro is expected to come out late 2024, not tomorrow. So what exactly should we be waiting for right now? You think Sony can magically prototype, test, manufacture, and distribute the PS5 Pro the day after current gen games reach your double digit metric?

simpatico

Well your claims of only "2 significant" current gen games is highly subjective at best but more importantly, the PS5 Pro is expected to come out late 2024, not tomorrow. So what exactly should we be waiting for right now? You think Sony can magically prototype, test, manufacture, and distribute the PS5 Pro the day after current gen games reach your double digit metric?
FF XVI
Returnal

Did I miss any?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I personally do not care the amount of so called next gen only titles as I want the hardware that will give me the most solid frames I can get while playing PS 1st party games and would gladly drop $1000 on a beastly PS5 Pro

ChiefDada

Gold Member
FF XVI
Returnal

Did I miss any?

Yes. FFXVI, Returnal (funny enough my top 2 games on PS5), and the bolded titles below are all games I personally will purchase a PS5 Pro for

Demon Souls
Ratchet and Clank
Cyberpunk (runs too poorly for me to consider last gen)
Calisto Protocol (ditto above)
TLOU Pt. 1
Horizon Burning Shores
Forspoken
Metro Exodus Enhanced (RT only game)
Jedi Survivor
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo

And this doesn't even consider the games in the pipeline that will arrive before or near PS5 Pro launch

Spiderman-2
Wolverine
GTA VI
Star Wars Outlaws
Whatever PS Studio game yet to be announced.

Laieon

As someone with a PS5, XSX, and a PC with a Ryzen 3700x and 1060 6gb, I definitely know where my $400+ is going to go first at this point.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We all secretly want for Sony to not have any competition at all.. there is really no need for all that nonsense
With everything that has leaked over the last 12 months? It's not competition, though. Microsoft is hellbent on buying their way to the top and monopolizing the entire industry.

It's clear as day that they don't give a fuck about our hobby when buying the oldest console gaming brand, changing their way of doing business, and pushing their games off of their own hardware (even when they themselves don't want to) is being considered merely because it'll be a "career moment."

At this point, it'd be best for the overwhelming majority of gamers if Microsoft goes away from gaming. And maybe someone else, more honorable, replaces them. Otherwise, Nintendo and Sony are plenty healthy competition against each other.

CuNi

Multiplat games will still be centered around series S as the lowest denominator and the ps5pro will only offer improved performance.
Biggest enthusiast will already have both, a ps5 and a Series X by the time the Pro releases so he'll only swap his ps5 for the pro but will still keep the X for Microsoft games.

Yes, multiplat games will play smoother on the pro most likely imho with how much the market is consolidating, people will start buying into ecosystems instead of choosing on a game by game basis.

It'll become more of a situation where you'll have to decide if U prefer Sony or Microsoft games if you only have the budged for one console.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Multiplat games will still be centered around series S as the lowest denominator and the ps5pro will only offer improved performance.
Biggest enthusiast will already have both, a ps5 and a Series X by the time the Pro releases so he'll only swap his ps5 for the pro but will still keep the X for Microsoft games.

Yes, multiplat games will play smoother on the pro most likely imho with how much the market is consolidating, people will start buying into ecosystems instead of choosing on a game by game basis.

It'll become more of a situation where you'll have to decide if U prefer Sony or Microsoft games if you only have the budged for one console.
Lot of things to unpack here. Even now with cross-gen a certain number of games use and will continue to use the PS4 as the lowest denominator, so for those games all consoles will be just " performance upgrades". A PS5 Pro would be if the rumors of 20 TF+ RDNA3+ with Cerny bonus( like better Raytracing or FSR). Compare that to the S and remember that IMHO most games will be PS5 first then ported to the others consoles and I won't be worried about it. Biggest enthusiast already have a PC better than the rumored PS5 Pro, so having this option can only help to get them back, and I am talking about using their consoles more instead of going back to PC. Someone who have a PS5 and a Series console and a great PC have no real reason to go back to Xbox, outside of convenience (and old habits) and maybe Gamepass. The PS5 Pro will make that opinion even more obvious for some people IMHO.

The series S/X plan was to have a high/ low combo. A PS5/PS5 Pro will be the same, but instead of a normal Series X and a weak Series S, we will have a normal PS5, who will be the standard because of being the best seller console, and a premium PS5 Pro. Way better combo IMHO. But maybe in the US the market is so price sensitive that the Series S will explode with price cuts?

CuNi

Lot of things to unpack here. Even now with cross-gen a certain number of games use and will continue to use the PS4 as the lowest denominator, so for those games all consoles will be just " performance upgrades". A PS5 Pro would be if the rumors of 20 TF+ RDNA3+ with Cerny bonus( like better Raytracing or FSR). Compare that to the S and remember that IMHO most games will be PS5 first then ported to the others consoles and I won't be worried about it. Biggest enthusiast already have a PC better than the rumored PS5 Pro, so having this option can only help to get them back, and I am talking about using their consoles more instead of going back to PC. Someone who have a PS5 and a Series console and a great PC have no real reason to go back to Xbox, outside of convenience (and old habits) and maybe Gamepass. The PS5 Pro will make that opinion even more obvious for some people IMHO.

The series S/X plan was to have a high/ low combo. A PS5/PS5 Pro will be the same, but instead of a normal Series X and a weak Series S, we will have a normal PS5, who will be the standard because of being the best seller console, and a premium PS5 Pro. Way better combo IMHO. But maybe in the US the market is so price sensitive that the Series S will explode with price cuts?

I'm not disagreeing with you. But I think most of the talks is about if people will ditch Xbox because of the pro and I just don't see a reason too. Like you said, the most hardcore gamers most likely have a pc. Those people most likely consumed Xbox games on pc anyway. People with both consoles and no pc don't care either since they have both and will only upgrade their Playstation and keep the Xbox to continue playing the Xbox exclusives on it.

So the only people affected by the disparity are gamers that only have one of the consoles and no pc. And those people are mostly locked into the ecosystem this Gen because of friends, game libraries etc.

I don't see a huge wave of either group swap over to the other ecosystem just because one has a more powerful console.

I'm not denying that people will do It, there is enough min/maxers out there but it is nothing Microsoft has to be worried about.
At least IMHO.

saintjules

They better hope the PS5 Pro doesn't exist

That's the better thought/response there.

If a PS5 Pro exists and increases performance all around, then I say $599 justifies that. I don't imagine it being the same price or cheaper than the PSVR2.

What does a mid gen refresh Xbox do at the same price point besides being all digital?

yurinka

As I always mentioned, I think this generation there won't be a PS5 Pro or Series X Pro.

By the time normally Pro consoles are releasing, we'll start seeing the first AAA games that will use game engines designed to take full advantage of the next gen hardware, so they will look way better (think the UE5 tech demos) on the non-Pro consoles.

Devs already have a ton of SKUs this gen: Series S, Series X, PS5 with disk, PS5 disk less. Plus their revisions. To add more SKUs would really suck for them.

Last edited:

NickFire

As I always mentioned, I think this generation there won't be a PS5 Pro or Series X Pro.

By the time normally Pro consoles are releasing, we'll start seeing the first AAA games that will use game engines designed to take full advantage of the next gen hardware, so they will look way better (think the UE5 tech demos) on the non-Pro consoles.
Based on the leaks, sales data, and rumors, it's looking like PS5 Pro will be a thing. And that Series X is actually the Series S Pro.

yurinka

Based on the leaks, sales data, and rumors, it's looking like PS5 Pro will be a thing. And that Series X is actually the Series S Pro.
I know, but I think this time the PS5 "Pro" if ever exists may be just a revision like the MS one, only updating stuff like Bluetooth, wifi, USB, SSD size etc. No extra horsepower. I think this time Sony's mid gen refresh will be only in the 'slim' fashion we saw in all their generations, without a Pro that we only saw last gen.

We also have to assume that there's a huge inflation in many countries, that shipment costs skyrocketed and the price of components too. Meaning, hardware is way more expensive and to make a more powerful console would be too expensive. We have to assume that this time the 'slim' version won't be that slim and won't be cheaper.

We also have to see if MS and Sony were happy with the experiment they did last gen releasing a Pro console: in the case of MS, they shouldn't be happy with it because they won't repeat this generation.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I'm not disagreeing with you. But I think most of the talks is about if people will ditch Xbox because of the pro and I just don't see a reason too. Like you said, the most hardcore gamers most likely have a pc. Those people most likely consumed Xbox games on pc anyway. People with both consoles and no pc don't care either since they have both and will only upgrade their Playstation and keep the Xbox to continue playing the Xbox exclusives on it.

So the only people affected by the disparity are gamers that only have one of the consoles and no pc. And those people are mostly locked into the ecosystem this Gen because of friends, game libraries etc.

I don't see a huge wave of either group swap over to the other ecosystem just because one has a more powerful console.

I'm not denying that people will do It, there is enough min/maxers out there but it is nothing Microsoft has to be worried about.
At least IMHO.
I agree with that too. But I think that most people look at it as the last chance before death by a thousand cuts, if you see what I mean. The PS5 have sold a lot more consoles than Xbox. They have the mindshare( whatever that means). Sony took advantage the most of many of the last few years mega hits(Hogwarts, Elden Ring, RE 4 Remake, maybe Baldur's Gate 3...) Last gen was the same, and the One X was seen as an apology, with the BC program. But if this time we get a PS5 Pro, but no Xbox Pro, and no magic bullet like BC, but refresh that are all digital for the same price, the PR will be awful for a few years. Of course this is not what will make Sony sell 150 millions PS5 like in the PS2 era. But at least a few millions more high spenders who will take Sony premium offering and accessories with it. If you consider both offers equal, then a PS5 Pro is enough to balance the equation a little in Sony favor. If you consider Xbox already in trouble, then this would make them even more in trouble. If they are already doomed, then this would be the final nail in the coffin.
I also think that a lot of the discussion, in Neogaf at least, in contingent of the Series S/X strategy. Because the S make it harder to make (and market) a Pro version, Xbox have hard choices to make. How will they convince the same people that got a One X for the power advantage it had over the PS4 Pro that now the Series X will be absolutely enough? When just in front of them games like GTA6 may have heavy marketing with Sony, and the Pro ? When a PS5 Slim will naturally be cheaper than the Series X, unless Sony is so confident that they will just match whatever price Xbox will put their premium console ?

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
With everything that has leaked over the last 12 months? It's not competition, though. Microsoft is hellbent on buying their way to the top and monopolizing the entire industry.

It's clear as day that they don't give a fuck about our hobby when buying the oldest console gaming brand, changing their way of doing business, and pushing their games off of their own hardware (even when they themselves don't want to) is being considered merely because it'll be a "career moment."

At this point, it'd be best for the overwhelming majority of gamers if Microsoft goes away from gaming. And maybe someone else, more honorable, replaces them. Otherwise, Nintendo and Sony are plenty healthy competition against each other.
Is this pasta? 'more honorable' -- jeeeeeeze dude, how you've evaded a ban for console warring is baffling to me.

Do you really think Sony doesn't have some skeletons in the closet like that? Like they've never discussed buying someone and 'changing their way of doing business'?

MS shit got leaked, and that's unfortunate, but if you think any company out there in this capitalist hellscape wouldn't do anything to have the money & resources MS has, and wouldn't manage or privately discuss them in a similar fashion, you are delusional.

Not a fan of mid-gen refreshes. I get why they started doing it, but honestly just release great hardware and work on the next big thing 7 years after. One X and PS4 Pro were lame and ultimately what they promised with them barely happened, and when it did it wasn’t that great.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Is this pasta? 'more honorable' -- jeeeeeeze dude, how you've evaded a ban for console warring is baffling to me.

Do you really think Sony doesn't have some skeletons in the closet like that? Like they've never discussed buying someone and 'changing their way of doing business'?
Can you share some stuff about these other companies planting proxies to buy their direct competitors' shares or other storefronts? Looking forward to it.
MS shit got leaked, and that's unfortunate, but if you think any company out there in this capitalist hellscape wouldn't do anything to have the money & resources MS has, and wouldn't manage or privately discuss them in a similar fashion, you are delusional.
So that's unfortunate? Not the things that got revealed? Cool.

Audiophile

The aversion to Pro consoles and the assertion that they're pointless never ceases to amaze me. No one is taking away the base systems and no matter how well they're taken advantage of over the course of the gen, a Pro console will always be able to do the same fundamental things but with better native pixel counts and/or higher framerates and/or visual effects.

"But they should take advantage of these consoles first".... ok, but then what? Once they're taken advantage of, there's still a fundamental and practical limit to them; how about an optional system with roughly 2x the power to do that same thing better. These aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

"Get a PC".... there's a slight difference between a mark up of $100-200 on a pro console and a $1500+ PC.

"But they'll use it as a crutch and not take advantage of the base platform".... except, looking at PS4 vs PS4 Pro, this really wasn't the case, most releases remained competent on the base system and with the base system having the bulk of market share the incentive was to lead with that and then scale up for the Pro system. X1/X1S vs X1X had issues but that's because the base X1 was crap to begin with; these issues more to do with the X1's own shortcomings and the gulf between X1 & PS4 more than MS' mid-gen refresh. And sure, a few devs will use to as a crutch and do a crap job on the base system, but that shouldn't negate the opportunity better devs from having a version of their game that better realises their vision nor the possibility of those willing to pay a premium from experiencing the game like that.

There's no major downside to a Pro.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Can you share some stuff about these other companies planting proxies to buy their direct competitors' shares or other storefronts? Looking forward to it.

So that's unfortunate? Not the things that got revealed? Cool.

You cannot be serious -- no, because there are no leaked comms from Sony, Nintendo, or any other publisher to this extent, nor in recent history. And for your 'unfortunate' bold there I'm not now, nor have I been sticking up for MS, or saying 'oh good job boys in green keep it up' -- I'm just taking the very realistic standpoint that MS is not alone in their tactics. It's a business. Business' exist to make money. And it's UNFORTUNATE when any private communications and plans get released like this.

Again, using deductive reasoning, if you think Sony isn't thinking like this, or having conversations or meetings like this, you're naive. I personally believe that people who think Sony is a white knight savior of gaming against big bad M$ are misguided console warriors.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The aversion to Pro consoles and the assertion that they're pointless never ceases to amaze me. No one is taking away the base systems and no matter how well they're taken advantage of over the course of the gen, a Pro console will always be able to do the same fundamental things but with better native pixel counts and/or higher framerates and/or visual effects.

"But they should take advantage of these consoles first".... ok, but then what? Once they're taken advantage of, there's still a fundamental and practical limit to them; how about an optional system with roughly 2x the power to do that same thing better. These aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

"Get a PC".... there's a slight difference between a mark up of $100-200 on a pro console and a $1500+ PC.

"But they'll use it as a crutch and not take advantage of the base platform".... except, looking at PS4 vs PS4 Pro, this really wasn't the case, most releases remained competent on the base system and with the base system having the bulk of market share the incentive was to lead with that and then scale up for the Pro system. X1/X1S vs X1X had issues but that's because the base X1 was crap to begin with; these issues more to do with the X1's own shortcomings and the gulf between X1 & PS4 more than MS' mid-gen refresh. And sure, a few devs will use to as a crutch and do a crap job on the base system, but that shouldn't negate the opportunity better devs from having a version of their game that better realises their vision nor the possibility of those willing to pay a premium from experiencing the game like that.

There's no major downside to a Pro.
Almost everybody was on board with potential Pro versions, so they "didn't have to choose between higher framerates and better resolution and vice versa."

Now so many are opposed to the idea of simply having more options just because one company isn't doing it. It's weird.

dem

Almost everybody was on board with potential Pro versions, so they "didn't have to choose between higher framerates and better resolution and vice versa."

Now so many are opposed to the idea of simply having more options just because one company isn't doing it. It's weird.

I think people are opposed because it still feels really early in this gen.. even if it isn't technically. Microsoft is barely shipping current gen only games. And Starfield still looks like a last gen game.. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

The development cycle is stretching so long. It seems like we are just barely starting to get away from games shipping on PS4.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You cannot be serious -- no, because there are no leaked comms from Sony, Nintendo, or any other publisher to this extent, nor in recent history.
So you were just assuming this about Sony and Nintendo? And everybody who doesn't indulge in your assumptions is naive and delusional? Got it.
And for your 'unfortunate' bold there I'm not now, nor have I been sticking up for MS, or saying 'oh good job boys in green keep it up' -- I'm just taking the very realistic standpoint that MS is not alone in their tactics. It's a business. Business' exist to make money. And it's UNFORTUNATE when any private communications and plans get released like this.
But it's not unfortunate at all. We're actually fortunate that we got to know their sleazy inside communication and how they are planning to monopolize the industry: by planning to buy the largest independent publisher (ABK), the largest PC storefront (Steam), and the largest console manufacturer (Nintendo).

It's a very good thing for gamers if they know what's going on.

But I guess it might be considered unfortunate if you are more concerned about the welfare of a corporation than gamers and the gaming industry.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

People are opposed because its been fed to sites like Digital Foundry its dumb this time and not needed

Wonder who fed them that

PeteBull

We can laugh and guess now, but once holidays 2024 come and DF starts to make comparisions 350$ 1tb ssd xss vs ps5 slim and 500$ xsx vs 600$ ps5pr0 its gonna be a bloodbath of epic proportions.
On top customers who gonna target xsx or ps5pr0 arent that price sensitive so forking out additional 100 or even 200$ to get best multiplatform console experience will be no brainer.
Then we gonna get phil complain that no matter wha microsoft does sony keeps on winning =D

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think people are opposed because it still feels really early in this gen.. even if it isn't technically.

The development cycle is stretching so long. It seems like we are just barely starting to get away from games shipping on PS4.
It'll still be a good thing though, especially for game preservation and forward compatibility. Games with PS5 Pro patches will lead to better BC versions on PS6 -- just like so PS4 Pro versions run significantly better on PS5 than games that never got the PS4 Pro patch.

And, in terms of timing, PS4 was launched in 2013, and PS4 Pro was launched in 2016. That was just 3 years. PS5 Pro will be launching after 4 years of PS5's launch, so I think it's a bit delayed if anything.

Top Bottom