• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals Fenyx Rising |OT| Gods and Monsters and Callistos, Oh My

Venuspower

Just finished the main story after around 50 hours.
I could have been way faster. But I always made sure to loot every chest etc. I found
on my way through the campaign. Without that I would have been done way faster.

The only areas left I have to clear are King's Peak and Gates of Tartaros.
Some side quests are open aswell.

This game clearly is my surprise of the year. Gameplay was so much fun.
99% of the puzzles were fun aswell. The remaining 1% were a bit annoying. But
still. The style of the game is also really beautiful. And let's not forget the humor which was
great aswell.

I guess I have to get the season pass :D

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Just finished as well. was burnt out by the last vault, but great game. would like to see XP added and more rpg ish stuff

Humdinger

I'm only about 10 hours in, but I'm enjoying it a lot. It has the right mix for me -- good visuals, a tone that is on the light (vs. heavy/dark) side, combat that is fun and lively yet not too difficult, plenty of variety in activities, enjoyable and rewarding exploration, worthwhile upgrades, well edited content (i.e., lack of ubi-bloat), some humor, outdoor and natural environments (vs. urban or indoor ones) and puzzles that require some thought but aren't too time-consuming or frustrating, at least so far. The only real weakness I see is in the story, which is as generic as Zelda's, and that's okay. I don't need a good story in every game. No complaints here.

Last edited:
On Series X I have a big issue with screen tearing. Performance mode, my tv doesn't support VRR, nothing happen if I change the console res to 1080/120 from 4k/60. Any clue? I just need to wait for a patch?
Same here. It's odd that more of people aren't talking about this. Maybe the two of us are especially sensitive to tearing or something? I find it very distracting.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'll throw my shitty opinion in the ring as well and say I really like this game.

Is it original or truly great? Hell no, but it IS a nice lighthearted change of pace from all the doom and gloom we see in a lot of games nowadays.

I do like the cartoony look and tone, feels like a PS2-era game to me in some ways.

Also, it's kind of nice to see something new from Ubisoft, even if elements of the game are extremely derivative (and they are). Something about it feels fresh

Entroyp

I'll throw my shitty opinion in the ring as well and say I really like this game.

Is it original or truly great? Hell no, but it IS a nice lighthearted change of pace from all the doom and gloom we see in a lot of games nowadays.

I do like the cartoony look and tone, feels like a PS2-era game to me in some ways.

Also, it's kind of nice to see something new from Ubisoft, even if elements of the game are extremely derivative (and they are). Something about it feels fresh

I wouldn’t say liking this game is a bad opinion. It’s a very good game and certainly the best Ubi game I have played in many many years. My only gripe is that it should let you discover the world in a more organic fashion instead of using a vantage point to mark things on the map. Combat is excellent, which I feel is BoTW’s weakest..er.. link.

Last edited:

Bramble

What are you guys using for the HDR settings in the console version?

I'm on an OLED B7 and I use Luminance at 4000 and Exposure at 0.5.

Maogp

Same here. It's odd that more of people aren't talking about this. Maybe the two of us are especially sensitive to tearing or something? I find it very distracting.
I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to screen tearing XD I mean is a BIG screen tearing the line is not even fast, particularly when you move the visual in the vertical axis. Is not a TV issue because I have this issue only with this game.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Noticed it too while playing today, but I find quality mode a lot better looking so I play in that mode.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The arrow challenges in this are so fun!

Also I can’t over emphasize how good a job they did on the vault puzzles. These are so well designed and I am never stumped for a frustrating amount of time, they are all quite breezy and fun. They make great use of the powers as well.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
What are you guys using for the HDR settings in the console version?

I'm on an OLED B7 and I use Luminance at 4000 and Exposure at 0.5.

I personally follow advice of Vincent (HDTVtest), which is that as long as the game gives you the option of setting paper white/exposure etc, then select HGIG in tv settings and then set luminance equal to your TVs actual one (I have a c9, so for me it would be ~900 nits) and set exposure or paper where as best suits you. This has given me great results in Assassins creed valhala (and immortals runs on same engine and has same settings) and gears of War 5
If we set luminance above what our TV can handle, then TV will have to remap all higher values to lower ones. Which will be great if the TV has an extremely good algorithm to do that, but usually that's not the same case in all situations. With HGIG, TV is effectively hands off, letting us and game adjust as we feel fit. So, for me HGIG, with luminance at TV actual level and exposure at what I see fit has given me best results to my eyes. Personally i keep exposure not very high because a little dark in darker areas makes the bright pop even more. But that's my personal setting, of course.

Last edited:
I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to screen tearing XD I mean is a BIG screen tearing the line is not even fast, particularly when you move the visual in the vertical axis. Is not a TV issue because I have this issue only with this game.
I don't think I'm that sensitive either; I was just trying to figure out why I haven't seen the problem mentioned. I also noticed it when looking up or down and also haven't noticed it in other games.

Bramble

I personally follow advice of Vincent (HDTVtest), which is that as long as the game gives you the option of setting paper white/exposure etc, then select HGIG in tv settings and then set luminance equal to your TVs actual one (I have a c9, so for me it would be ~900 nits) and set exposure or paper where as best suits you. This has given me great results in Assassins creed valhala (and immortals runs on same engine and has same settings) and gears of War 5
If we set luminance above what our TV can handle, then TV will have to remap all higher values to lower ones. Which will be great if the TV has an extremely good algorithm to do that, but usually that's not the same case in all situations. With HGIG, TV is effectively hands off, letting us and game adjust as we feel fit. So, for me HGIG, with luminance at TV actual level and exposure at what I see fit has given me best results to my eyes. Personally i keep exposure not very high because a little dark in darker areas makes the bright pop even more. But that's my personal setting, of course.

I have a B7 so I guess 4000 is way to high then? Should I put it around 800?

Venuspower

Got my Platinum just a few hours ago.
Absolute fantastic game.

20210101145154dcjyp.jpg

I still need to collect some treasures in some vaults. But other than that I am done with everything.
But that should not be surprising after ~70 hours :D

I also bought the season pass. Can't wait for the DLCs. The bonus quest that comes
with the season pass is also a nice little addition. But I will never understand why publishers/devs do not put
that sorte of stuff in the base game. It's not like those type of quests are really special or something like that :D
They only feel like cut content.

Got my Platinum just a few hours ago.
Absolute fantastic game.

20210101145154dcjyp.jpg

I still need to collect some treasures in some vaults. But other than that I am done with everything.
But that should not be surprising after ~70 hours :D

I also bought the season pass. Can't wait for the DLCs. The bonus quest that comes
with the season pass is also a nice little addition. But I will never understand why publishers/devs do not put
that sorte of stuff in the base game. It's not like those type of quests are really special or something like that :D
They only feel like cut content.
I m at 68 hours and 2 trophies left.gonna get mine soon . Can't wait for the DLC

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered the digital gold edition and since im currently scheduled to get the Series X on Monday, I will finally be able to play the game after I play Hivebusters and Watch Dogs Legion. The three expansions for Immortals looks great. The isometric expansion looks really good and the second expansion set in Chinese Mythology has me really excited and believing that Assassin's Creed 2021 is set in China.

Mossybrew

Ive been enjoying the game. The silliness is a nice change of pace from the relentless seriousness of Valhalla and Cyberpunk. I do kinda wish the game leaned more on combat than puzzles, most of these rifts I just find tedious and annoying, just not my kinda thing.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Ive been enjoying the game. The silliness is a nice change of pace from the relentless seriousness of Valhalla and Cyberpunk. I do kinda wish the game leaned more on combat than puzzles, most of these rifts I just find tedious and annoying, just not my kinda thing.
I’m with you on this. I like the game quite a bit but it leans heavily on puzzles and they aren’t the best (mind you, they’re not terrible). I much prefer fighting and exploring.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Surprisingly good game. It's what I'm playing on my xsx. Looks great, cute humor and direction with some of the camera cuts/facial expressions. The story is standard greek mythology, but that's just fine. Clever use of the mythology to explain some of the powers and abilities. I thought the narration might be annoying once I understood that it was part of the game, but actually it's pretty entertaining so far.

Finished it last night.

Really enjoyed it for the most part. Combat was sometimes super annoying, looking up at a harpy and pressing LB+Y to pull yourself towards it only for the game to be like "oh, she's looking directly at an enemy and using Herakles strength, she must want to pick up that boulder that's off screen" had my daughter telling me to stop shouting at the TV.

The humour was mostly groan worthy but sometimes it got a chuckle from me. I was surprised about the subject matter of some of the jokes, which covered a diverse range of subjects including deformities, beastiality, incest, forced marriage, and such.

The potions are a bit OP, with upgraded combat and defense you can wade through most enemies easily, even on hard.

Overall a game that's more than worth my time.

HotPocket69

Banned
Second game in a row I’ve played where I’m unable to Platinum because of bugs and trophies not popping.

Incredibly infuriating. The game was good and has now plummeted to “Suck My Fucking Dick Let’s Get This Over With” status.

Animagic

Banned
Having a blast with this game. Really glad I took a chance on it. That being said, something is off with the facial animation on the switch version. All the characters look really weird

R6Rider

Gold Member
PSA: It's currently $30 on Amazon right now. Just grabbed a copy (although in stock later this month) for PS5, but I think all version are half off.

Humdinger

I notice there are weapon perk unlocks based on level (e.g., additional perk unlock at level 4). However, I can't figure out what level I am. I've looked in the inventory screens but don't see it. What am I missing?

I ran into a glitch with one fresco puzzle. It's an early one in the Valley of Eternal Spring, the the fresco with the guy's face and some foliage. Unless I can manage to stand right on the tip of the platform, rather than in the water where you naturally stand, I cannot push the puzzle pieces. My character tries, but the animation stutters and goes nowhere. It's too difficult to stand at just the right point, so I eventually ran out of patience and gave up.

I'm enjoying the game overall, though. The combat is a lot of fun, and it's a good mix of easy and challenging. If I have one complaint, it's that I wish the puzzles weren't quite so plentiful. I had the same gripe about Zelda BotW. Just a personal preference.

Kagey K

Banned
I notice there are weapon perk unlocks based on level (e.g., additional perk unlock at level 4). However, I can't figure out what level I am. I've looked in the inventory screens but don't see it. What am I missing?
Look under your sword, axe, helm armor bow etc on the inventory screen and you will see white dots filling the bar for each level. You upgrade them at the hall of heroes using resources you find out in the world.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Second game in a row I’ve played where I’m unable to Platinum because of bugs and trophies not popping.

Incredibly infuriating. The game was good and has now plummeted to “Suck My Fucking Dick Let’s Get This Over With” status.
No trophies are glitched on ps5, you're doing something wrong.

Neolombax

Taking a break from the game for a while, the puzzles are starting to wear me down. Its a great game for sure, I just think maybe the puzzles are a bit too much in terms of quantity? I would much prefer if they had less puzzles but increased the complexity. Also wished the different equipment/weapons affect gameplay more than just stats, and more enemy variety would be awesome too.

Humdinger

Look under your sword, axe, helm armor bow etc on the inventory screen and you will see white dots filling the bar for each level. You upgrade them at the hall of heroes using resources you find out in the world.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

Zoro7

Banned
Surprised so many people like this game. Thought it was boring personally. The dungeons are super boring. Roll Boulder here activate something, get box on switch, rinse and repeat. Even combat is boring, literally just spam for combos and dodge.

Humdinger

Taking a break from the game for a while, the puzzles are starting to wear me down. Its a great game for sure, I just think maybe the puzzles are a bit too much in terms of quantity? I would much prefer if they had less puzzles but increased the complexity.

Yeah, I have to agree. That's my main complaint about the game so far, too. It's amplified, because doing the puzzles is the only way (or at least the main way) to upgrade stamina, which seems to be essential.

Still enjoying it, though. So far, it's my favorite game of the year (2020, that is). Granted, I didn't play Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Really really love the dungeons. They maintain very high quality throughout. The puzzle ones benefit greatly from the expanded scope. BOTW’s dungeons were always kind of claustrophobic, whereas here, these are large and expansive areas, with multiple applications of your tools, and they all look way better than in Zelda as well, with the ruins-floating-in-outer-space-look. You do a lot more exploring. I find these dungeons a lot less frustrating as well.

I would often get stuck in the Zelda puzzles but these feel much more intuitive and easier to get. So I actually enjoy the challenge. Plus the combat ones are a blast. Last one I did had laser tripwires and spikes you could activate by shooting arrows at switches. Throw in half a dozen baddies and that is a fun time!

Last edited:
Top Bottom