• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm possibly buying an Infocus SP 5000 (LCD front projector) and need advice!!!

Leguna

Banned
Calling all front projector experts out there!!!!

Can anyone tell me if theInfocus SP 5000 would be great for current gen gaming, next gen gaming and DVD movies??? It seems to be really good and selling for an awesome price of $1499 after rebate BRAND NEW! Here's a link to the specs of it:

Infocus SP 5000 specs

The projector I buy MUST be a least 1280x720p native res, under $3000 and have no latency issues with current gen games.

PS:
Klee, if you are out there, help!

HokieJoe

To begin with, if you're considering any PJ, I'd go to the AVS Forum "Sub $3500 PJ Forum", read up, and ask a bunch of questions from people that actually own a lot of different PJ's.

The SP 5000 isn't a bad PJ for the price, but there will definitely be some trade-offs with it. Namely, lower contrast ratio/black-level than what you can get for a bit more money. In brightly-lit scenes or daylight you won't perceive it as a problem. But in dark scenes everything will look muddy.

For a sub-$3K projector, here's a few to ponder on:

BenQ PE7700

and here:

*OFFICIAL* BenQ PE7700 Thread

The good thing about the PE7700 is that it has the HD2+ chip, which is a true 1280x720 non-wobbulated DMD. It also has a 5x/6 segment color wheel.

Here's a thread about the upcoming (September) Panasonic AE900 PJ:

Panasonic PT-AE900U

It has a claimed 4000:1 contrast ratio and 1200 lumen output. Apparently, it will be using Epson's new D5 LCD panels.

Quartet

i always wanted a projector, now they are at good price, problem is that the lamp are not.

i'm gonna wait to have 2000 lumen LED projector. They are currently around 300 lumen (the mitsubishi one). I even suspect they are close to 800 lumen right now as EPSON did not wanted to disclose latest spec of is prototype. I suspect they want to hide that as it would hurt their own bottom line of classic lamp model.

i think 2007 will be the year of the LED projectors.

Leguna

Banned
HokieJoe:
How bad would the latency be on the Infocus SP 5000 you think playing current gen games and how would it affect play DVD movies on PS2? Would the visuals be behind the sound and would the games control poorly due to latency? Anything you can tell me would help.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow, I can't believe Panny are on the 900 already. Projectors date faster that PCs :lol

It looks sweet though, 5000:1 contrast ratio.

bycha

Haven't seen InFocus ScreenPlay 5000 in action but specs doesn't look too good for me. It doesn't have HDMI input and that's enough of a reason for me not to buy such a projector.

I'll stick with Panasonic. 700 has a fucking cropping problem, so I'll wait for 900.

Anyway you absolutely have to see it with your own eyes, that's the only possible way to make sure you will be satisfied.

edit: There will be no latency problem on LCD-projector.

Well, with real life contrast of 700 at around 200:1 I hope they will add at least 50% to it. But no one will bet on it.

Leguna

Banned
bycha:
So you're saying that any LCD projector I buy will not have any latency issues when I play PS2 games? It's only a problem in DLP projectors? That makes the Infocus SP5000 look even better in that case, but that BenQ7700 projector does have my attention, but if I'm going to have latency issues with it, that's bad.

bycha

Latency issue is very-very rare. Ask people and they will tell you.

Anyway, both DLP and LCD have different sorts of issues. Vertical bending, cropping, rainbows and painful flickering etc. Different models have different issues. Even different projectors of the same model may have or not some issues.
I watched entry level DLPs and I can't stand rainbows. Most people don't see them, I do. DLP of mid-price is out of my range, so I choose from LCD only. So, theoretically i choose from LCD projector only. After reading reviews and hearing from owners I theoretically choose Panny 700 and Sanyo Z3.
Now, practically seeing dvds on 700 I can say that this exact projector I saw movies on is good for my eye. But it has cropping problem, which I will encounter after hooking it to my pc, so I'm theoretically now choosing 900 model.

Hooh. It's not so easy to buy good projector, see.

http://www.avsforum.com
and
http://www.projectorcentral.com

are a good start to theoretically choose projectors. But practically it's only showroom in a store near you.

HokieJoe

Leguna said:
HokieJoe:
How bad would the latency be on the Infocus SP 5000 you think playing current gen games and how would it affect play DVD movies on PS2? Would the visuals be behind the sound and would the games control poorly due to latency? Anything you can tell me would help.

I don't know if there are any lag issues with this PJ or not. Apparently, they use a Pixelworks scaler in the 5000. Check out this thread Leguna for some better answers/solutions than I can give you:

HDTVs and Video Game Lag: The Problem and the Solution.

Here's a thread talking about the Screenplay 5000

and here's a thread with Screenplay 5000 screenshots:

SP5000

and one for comparison sake with the Screenplay 4805 (480p DLP):

SP4805

HokieJoe

gofreak said:
Wow, I can't believe Panny are on the 900 already. Projectors date faster that PCs :lol

Yeah, there's another sticky thread which talks about the Epson TW600. Here's a quote from a PJ technician who has had some good info on it:

Epson TW600

Back from another day of projector madness at the shop. Just to report back on un- answered questions.

I had a little over a half hour to ask a days worth of questions at lunchtime with a salesman who was over in japan 3 weeks ago. Being a hometheater nut himself really made me pay attention to what I was being told.

The tw600 will have the 'cinema filter' as the previous models did.

The contrast ratio numbers are 3000-1 without optical iris enhancement and 'up to' 7500-1 with iris enhancement. This is AMAZING for LCD. It was explained to me that the largest single reason for the higher contrast ratio increases was the panels themselves (D5) have virtually no light leakage within the substructure. This light leakage between the panels was the single main reason for the dreaded screen door effect on the older lcd models and the much lower contrast ratios. It was not that the spacing between the pixels was too large but that 'stray light' between the substrate and the pixel shielding layer made the spacing more visible on the projected image. Substantially reduced light leakage within the panel means 2 huge benefits: Dramatic contrast ratio improvements and screen door elimination. Since projected images are the result of light transmitted through the panels, the control of this light is the one major factor in the ever increasing performance of LCD. I was told that when the technology to 'TOTALLY' isolate each pixel from stray light from neighboring pixels become a reality, that panel contrast ratios will exceed anything available today, even CRT.

The 'fill factor' improvements are not from the 'mechanical' method of closing the gap between the pixels but from the control of light between them.

Will DLP advance in the design of there chips at a fast enough rate to keep there performance in step with the ever advancing LCD technological storm? Well I belive that the present DMD designs have only minor possible improvements before a complete re-design will be nessesary. After all, you can only tilt the mirrors so much before mechanical arc limitations take over. So contrast ratio improvements 'before' iris enhancement will be questionable.

D5 'response time' is greatly improved. 'After images' disappear almost instantly resulting in a sharper image. After all, the static images from a previous image would contaminate the fresh image ( kind of like a crt device with a different refresh rate) and produce substandard picture quality.

If some one wants more info on the response time benefits then let me know!

Before I ended the conversation, the subject of dust and the related projected image annoyances was talked about and this is what was mentioned:

The new D5 panel has an extra glass layer positioned out of the 'FOCAL PLANE" so that when dust lands on the panel itself, you will not see any problems because of it on the screen.

Contrast ratio enhancing features of the D5 panel:

Liquid crystal layer thickness reduction
flatter and clearer glass 'sandwich' layers
driver 'ICs' directly imbedded directly onto the panel grid

Think of it as a higher quality blind system which just blocks out more light, and more efficiently.

Martin ( co-worker) told me that it would not be fair of him to comment on the differences between the 600 and the 520 until he had a chance to compare them both in a proper hometheater environment. But judging what the specs are and what he saw briefly during the demo, it looks like it will not be a close race at all.

I will get more info about the actual features on this projector tomorrow.

It looks like LCD's are starting to make some big improvements in one of their traditionally weak aspects- contrast ratio and black level.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
guys head on over to AVS and the sub-$3000 forums. there is a SHITLOAD of info leaking out from CEDIA on all kinds of new projectors coming out!! I may have to ditch my plans to pick up an InFocus SP7210 this November :D

Leguna

Banned
TO ALL:
Thanks guys, big help! I'll be showing off my theater room to GAF and IGN once I'm done. It's going to be spectacular!

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
Leguna said:
Calling all front projector experts out there!!!!

Can anyone tell me if theInfocus SP 5000 would be great for current gen gaming, next gen gaming and DVD movies??? It seems to be really good and selling for an awesome price of $1499 after rebate BRAND NEW! Here's a link to the specs of it:

Infocus SP 5000 specs

The projector I buy MUST be a least 1280x720p native res, under $3000 and have no latency issues with current gen games.
This would be a foolish purchase.

you can grab a Z3 for that today w/o rebate... lens shift, longer warranty and better PJ.

i'm assuming your budget is only $1500 otherwise you would never have posted like this. If it's more than wait a few weeks until the next batch of 720pjs ship.

Top Bottom