• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I'm new to PC games, what should I get..."

Sotha_Sil

-Freespace 2 still holds up as a fantastic space sim, and one of the best games ever made.
-X-Wing Alliance
-Age of Empires 2/3
-Deus Ex
-NOLF 1/2
-Vampire: The Masq - Bloodlines
-Planescape Torment
-Pillars of Eternity
-Morrowind
-NWN2 from GOG mainly for Mask of the Betrayer
-The Talos Principle
-Legend of Grimrock 1/2
-Amnesia
-and tons of other indie games

HaleStorm

I just finished Talos Principle and I was very satisfied with it. fun puzzles, decent visuals, and I really started getting into the concepts being explored, and the story over all. I know it was supposed to come to the PS4 at some point, but screw it, just play it now.

Also, don't be a bitch and use a guide or look anything up. it is not that hard as you know exactly what is in what area, you just have to figure out how to get it.

My only complaint is that some of the core puzzles could have ramped up in difficulty more, save for the one star with all those switches when you are forced to turn to outsides means as there is no other way I could find to solve it.

If you need convincing, grab the demo and give it a shot.

Rembrandt

Banned
Get first one, and if you want vanilla gameplay go with the Zone Reclamation Project mod. It basically fixes bugs without messing with the balance of the vanilla game. Also if you like the Stalker games check out Boiling Point Road to Hell and it's sequel, they're similarish FPS/RPG games that were made in the same region.

Thanks! Grabbed all three, but reinstalled Civ V instead, lol. Will check it out over the weekend. I'm excited.

I'm sorry for the necrobump, but I didn't feel like this would be thread worthy and I couldn't find a more appropriate and current thread to ask this.

I'm not very knowledgeable about PC gaming, and I just got a new laptop that happens to use Windows 8 and I really want to play the first Witcher. I had no problems running it on my previous laptop. I just get an error saying the minimum requirements aren't being met and this computer is better than my old one. Is there any way to get the game to run on this computer?

My specs are:

Intel i7-5500U 2.4 GHz
8GB RAM
64-bit OS on Win 8.1

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm sorry for the necrobump, but I didn't feel like this would be thread worthy and I couldn't find a more appropriate and current thread to ask this.

I'm not very knowledgeable about PC gaming, and I just got a new laptop that happens to use Windows 8 and I really want to play the first Witcher. I had no problems running it on my previous laptop. I just get an error saying the minimum requirements aren't being met and this computer is better than my old one. Is there any way to get the game to run on this computer?

My specs are:

Intel i7-5500U 2.4 GHz
8GB RAM
64-bit OS on Win 8.1
Buy the GoG versions. Runs on Win 8 like charm.

The Banner Saga

Guild Wars 2

Jet Set Radio

Psychonauts

Audiosurf 1 & 2

Homeworld Remastered

Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery

Dustforce

Cities: Skyline

Company of Heroes

World in Conflict

Rayman Origins & Legends

Ms. Splosion Man

Everyday Shooter

Outland

Fez

Total War Shogun 2

Gone Home

Garrys Mod

Metal Gear Rising

Good F2P games; TERA Rising, Path of Exile, SWTOR, Blade&Soul, Archeage, Planetside 2, Ghost Recon Phantoms, Warframe, Nosgoth.

header_586x192.jpg
With the expansions this is really good i spent hundreds of hours on it my most played game on Steam

shaowebb

League of Legends, DOTA 2, Smite for your MOBA fix. Its great.

As for other genres

Shmups
  • Crimzon Clover World Ignition
  • Jamestown
  • siter skaintrilogy
  • Jade Penetrate Black Package
  • Astebreed
  • Ether Vapor Remaster
  • eXceed Trilogy
  • revolver 360
  • Super Galaxy Squadron
  • Kamui
  • Ikaruga

Puzzle/Card Games
  • Magical Drop
  • Marvel Puzzle Quest
  • Critter Crunch
  • Faerie Solitaire
  • Infinity Wars
  • Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe

Action Platformers
  • Trine (whole series is good)
  • Rogue Legacy
  • FREEDOM PLANET (better than any Sonic the Hedgehog game ever made)
  • Shovel Knight
  • Shantae Risky's Revenge
  • Shantae and the Pirates Curse
  • Valdis Story

Point Click Adventure
  • Deponia Trilogy
  • The Book of Unwritten Tales trilogy
  • The Whispered World
  • basically anything put out by Daedalic entertainment is gold

DeadTrees

I'm not very knowledgeable about PC gaming, and I just got a new laptop that happens to use Windows 8 and I really want to play the first Witcher. I had no problems running it on my previous laptop. I just get an error saying the minimum requirements aren't being met and this computer is better than my old one.

According to the googles, running the .exe with a -dontforceminreqs parameter (and the latest patch) will run the game in a barebones state. There are many other kludges around, which all basically amount to trying to trick the game into not being so stupidly pedantic about GPU specs.

I'm not great at thread titles.

What do you say then? To make it a bit easier, let's go with stuff that's PC exclusive or PC primary--meaning, it might be on consoles, but it might as well not be, since sales/playerbase/whatever is abysmal. So no Dark Souls, in other words, because everyone already knows about that, but Sanctum 2 or Tropico 5 would count.

Not agreeing with limiting selections based on that.

If a person is new to PC gaming I'm going to have her/him play a game that's enjoyable on that platform regardless of whether it's multiplatform or not. Regardless of whether the community is dead or not.

Examples...

Mass Effect 2+3 (now that there is controller support),
NFS Shift (with current hardware the driving experience and visuals are a joy),
NBA 2k15..because it's better than the console versions,
Alan Wake,
Skyrim modded
Red Faction Guerilla

All those are excellent PC titles.

If I have a friend that is new to PC gaming I'm going to be thinking of their best gaming interest.

The only PC only PC games I'm interested in are...

Star Citizen
Company of Heroes
Total War: Warhammer
Freespace 2 HEAVILY modded
Myth: The Fallen Lords (this franchise is why I started to love Bungie, not HALO)
Crysis 1
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War

Best thing about the PC gaming platform is the variety of games available. Something for every gamer style.

According to the googles, running the .exe with a -dontforceminreqs parameter (and the latest patch) will run the game in a barebones state. There are many other kludges around, which all basically amount to trying to trick the game into not being so stupidly pedantic about GPU specs.

Thanks I'll try that. I was just about to give up.

I am having another problem now though. I tried to play Omikron the Nomad Soul which ran just fine when I got this computer last week, and now any time I try to run it, it tells my my video card doesn't have enough memory.

Edit: Maybe Steam is the problem? I was able to launch Witcher with zero problems by going into the program folder and launching it that way without using that parameter. I'll try that with Omikron too.

Can anyone recommend some games for my new girlfriend? She's a lifelong console gamer (and particularly handheld gamer) who has avoided PCs mostly through necessity; she's only owned laptops.

She would probably enjoy:
Puzzle Agent
Cities Skylines
Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery (title depends on region)

She might like:
Shadowrun Returns or Shadowrun Dragonfall
Cinders
Long Live the Queen
Hatoful Boyfriend

Paasei

Red Orchestra2/Rising Storm, or any FPS game now that you have access to keyboard + mouse controls.

The list would go on and on.

Steel

Banned
Sins of a solar empire, Endless Legend, Homeworld remastered collection, Escape Velocity Nova are all games that don't get recommended nearly enough.

Top Bottom