• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Mark Medina: Starfield will be announced at E3 2021, exclusive to Xbox/PC - quickly rolls back saying it was only a 'prediction'

Being involved in an astroturfing campaign? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Is this any different from the other day when there was a sudden influx of pro-PS fluff pieces, which gave us nothing but fuzzy warm feelings inside?
‘Insomniac say the PS5 is great’ (no shit Sherlock)
‘Herman Hulst; we/our associates/we may have money hatted 25 new games (of which we aren’t actually revealing anything about)’
‘PS5 is the preferred console amongst devs’
‘the PS5 is starting to live up to its hype’

I’m guessing that wasn’t astroturfing though, that was just... oRgAnIc hype.
Dude, again? You're comparing "journalists" independently writing random bullshit on their twitter - to articles written by news outlets, with interviews from Sony, where they're not pretending its anything but information from the company itself. Just like the Wired article from 2 years ago.

Can you just change your name to false equivalency, it would make everything so much easier for everyone here...

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It's kinda sad that people are celebrating a game not coming to PlayStation that normally would have....

I mean there is another thread about PS exclusives coming to PC and people happy about not having to buy a PS5 (Even though the games are only PS4 games)

At what point is all this just an attack on PlayStation? Cause that is the only consistency throughout everything.....

trikster40

Sigh, who cares? Can’t we just wait until they actually announce something? What’s the point of even trying to “predict” things like platform? Is anyone going to run out and grab an XBOX today because some shill announced it on Twitter? Nope.

If you love Bethesda so much that you buy all their games, you probably already went and got an XBOX the day the acquisition happened. If not, you’re probably either waiting for an announcement or don’t give a crap.

It's kinda sad that people are celebrating a game not coming to PlayStation that normally would have....

I mean there is another thread about PS exclusives coming to PC and people happy about not having to buy a PS5 (Even though the games are only PS4 games)

At what point is all this just an attack on PlayStation? Cause that is the only consistency throughout everything.....

As if it doesn’t or wouldn’t happen the other way , fuck sake. I remember all that shit with CBOAT, Pete Dodd and that odious little zealot Thuway. It was embarrassing.

I can get where they're coming from, I hope all Sony Games come to PC like a year later, its a great way for more people to play the games, make more revenue, and give work to smaller studios and contract devs who do the port work.

I mean I love that I don't have to spend $500 dollars on an X and can just get a graphics card instead, its a dumbass business model to do it first day tho since I have no incentive whatsoever to get a Series.

Bryank75

Banned
As if it doesn’t or wouldn’t happen the other way , fuck sake. I remember all that shit with CBOAT, Pete Dodd and that odious little zealot Thuway. It was embarrassing.

But it's happening this way.

And when people bring up timed exclusives, PlayStation also gets all the hate and Xbox gets nothing....... two different standards it seems.

It's also very strange that two IGN execs tweeted about how they love gamepass and not to buy a PS5 and then Mark (who I like BTW) tweets this seemingly as fact..... IGN are very connected to Xbox, so I don't doubt it's fact but the media has become so biased it's quite unbelievable. From The Verge to DF to IGN.... even Reviewtech posted a video attacking R&C with totally outdated and false information.

The amount of FUD is ridiculous....

Bryank75

Banned
I can get where they're coming from, I hope all Sony Games come to PC like a year later, its a great way for more people to play the games, make more revenue, and give work to smaller studios and contract devs who do the port work.

I mean I love that I don't have to spend $500 dollars on an X and can just get a graphics card instead, its a dumbass business model to do it first day tho since I have no incentive whatsoever to get a Series.

I don't want any PS games on PC..... Nintendo doesn't do it, why should PS?

It makes the whole industry very boring. I want a certain flavour when I buy a product...... I dont want everything to taste fucking vanilla.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

I get what your saying. It's not coming from a good place thats for sure. I do understand it though. Sony players shit on Xbox all last generation and bragged about there games. Of course people will be happy to stick it to them.

I always get both consoles so in the end idc. I do wish I would of got a series x first though. I have a ps5 now and honestly don't play it much.

Last edited:

Raekwon26

And when people bring up timed exclusives, PlayStation also gets all the hate and Xbox gets nothing....... two different standards it seems.

It's also very strange that two IGN execs tweeted about how they love gamepass and not to buy a PS5 and then Mark (who I like BTW) tweets this seemingly as fact..... IGN are very connected to Xbox, so I don't doubt it's fact but the media has become so biased it's quite unbelievable. From The Verge to DF to IGN.... even Reviewtech posted a video attacking R&C with totally outdated and false information.

I disagree with this simply because of the people you named.

DF were a waste of time and space and it seems more people are finally getting the message.

The others you named? Well that's US media. Here in the UK, that nonsensical level of Sony FUD is non-existent.

I would love to know how the rest of Europe sees this.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
IGN?

Ricky Gervais Laughing GIF

Bryank75

Banned
I get what your saying. It's not coming from a good place thats for sure. I do understand it though. Sony players shit on Xbox all last generation and bragged about there games. Of course people will be happy to stick it to them.

I always get both consoles so in the end idc. I do wish I would of got a series x first though. I have a ps5 now and honestly don't play it much.
I went through that but I am back into it now..... I was put off by a few things after the honeymoon period. The friends list, messaging and some parts of the menu are disjointed to me.

But then I looked at all the games I have to play and started actually playing and I really got into it. Just finished Days Gone and I'm cleaning up the map and next is Crash 4. Then probably Returnal.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Dude, again? You're comparing "journalists" independently writing random bullshit on their twitter - to articles written by news outlets, with interviews from Sony, where they're not pretending its anything but information from the company itself. Just like the Wired article from 2 years ago.

Can you just change your name to false equivalency, it would make everything so much easier for everyone here...
Hahahahaha good one friend.

AphexTwunt

It makes the whole industry very boring. I want a certain flavour when I buy a product...... I dont want everything to taste fucking vanilla.

Perhaps you should focus on the flavour of the game, not the plastic box it's associated with and stop with the console warring by proxy bullshit.

Yeah which is why they HAVE to be a year later. Games need to be exclusively developed only with the console in mind and then ported over by another dev studio or something.
This way they don't waste valuable 1st party resources and don't have to compromise to run on two systems at launch. I guess it might be easier for Xbox since they own windows but idk, seems really limiting to be same day.

Bryank75

Banned
I disagree with this simply because of the people you named.

DF were a waste of time and space and it seems more people are finally getting the message.

The others you named? Well that's US media. Here in the UK, that nonsensical level of Sony FUD is non-existent.

I would love to know how the rest of Europe sees this.
I live in Ireland, US media is still very influential here at least.... so is UK media.

Airbus Jr

Banned
After this Jeff Grub guy and Dusk Gollem last year who said PS5 version of RE8 is problematic

Not to mention the endless Gamepass thread here on Neogaf

The amount of astroturfing from the green camp is quite unreal yo

Xbox is really actively seeking influencer and gaming journalist for this

Last edited:
Perhaps you should focus on the flavour of the game, not the plastic box it's associated with and stop with the console warring by proxy bullshit.
It''s not console warring to want games to be fully devoted to run on only one piece of hardware. That's literally the only way "console magic special sauce" happens and how games like God of War and Last of Us 2 end up looking better than any PC game in some places while running on 2013 hardware.

Last edited:

I can’t speak about the likes of ReviewTechUSA as I don’t watch or listen to him.

What I’ll say is if it was the other way around , if Sony had secured Starfield as PlayStation exclusive, how much outrage would there be? Or how much apathy?

PlayStation has a larger fan base and I’ll be honest there was a time I find it’s fan base, well some of it, to be some of the most hypocritical, really obnoxious and zealot like simply because there are more of them and within that there is good and bad. In my younger days when I didn’t know better , it put me off the brand at times to be honest.

I get what your saying however I do feel it if it was the other way around, the Bethesda acquisition and so on, the gloating and pats on the back would be huge. I hope you don’t take what I say as a knock to you personally , it isn’t as I would tell you straight and there are some cool PS folks here no question.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

It's not console warring, it is simply wanting a more interesting industry. One where there are really different options, where not everything is the same homogenized product at the end of the day with tiny differences in presentation.

The industry is becoming a sad stale load of shit.

Nintendo and PlayStation having their own very separate products and games make gaming a far better place.

As I said before, Nintendo didn't need to bring anything to PC to sell 30 or 40 million copies. All PlayStation needs to do is stop making stupid decisions like pricing Returnal at 70 dollars or 80 euro and giving it F-all marketing.
PlayStations issues are at a managerial level.... they spend a fortune promoting PS Now and cannot even release the numbers during financial results they are apparently so bad...... yet they have an excellent game and do not spend a penny to promote it and price it so high people are not going to take the risk.

Sw0pDiller

Does Starfield need to be exclusive? Isn't "day one @ gamepass" vs 70 euro on ps5/pc enough? BTW what kind of game is this anyway? AAA chess?

Bryank75

Banned
I can’t speak about the likes of ReviewTechUSA as I don’t watch or listen to him.

What I’ll say is if it was the other way around , if Sony had secured Starfield as PlayStation exclusive, how much outrage would there be? Or how much apathy?

PlayStation has a larger fan base and I’ll be honest there was a time I find it’s fan base, well some of it, to be some of the most hypocritical, really obnoxious and zealot like simply because there are more of them and within that there is good and bad. In my younger days when I didn’t know better , it put me off the brand at times to be honest.

I get what your saying however I do feel it if it was the other way around, the Bethesda acquisition and so on, the gloating and pats on the back would be huge. I hope you don’t take what I say as a knock to you personally , it isn’t as I would tell you straight and there are some cool PS folks here no question.

Yes, I understand your points and I hear people say that Zenimax games will be available through PC and Xbox and xcloud etc.

But if we look at this from a geographical perspective, they just locked out most of Europe, the middle east, asia (particularly Japan) and many other countries besides.... as PlayStation is domiannt in those areas..... even in the US, PS is ahead and many people will not go out and buy an XBox. They'll just buy other games.

Microsoft can take the hit of course but is that really fair to the industry? Taking games away from platforms cause a company made tons of money on other industry and is using that to unbalance this industry?

Markio128

The way I see it is, the MS fans need a big gaming hug because the last few years have been pretty barren. So let the game be exclusive, give MS fans a reason to rejoice. Maybe we can then all get along because we all have lovely games to look forward to.

Fuck me, who am I kidding.

soldiers unison GIF

Carry on soldiers

Yes, I understand your points and I hear people say that Zenimax games will be available through PC and Xbox and xcloud etc.

But if we look at this from a geographical perspective, they just locked out most of Europe, the middle east, asia (particularly Japan) and many other countries besides.... as PlayStation is domiannt in those areas..... even in the US, PS is ahead and many people will not go out and buy an XBox. They'll just buy other games.

Microsoft can take the hit of course but is that really fair to the industry? Taking games away from platforms cause a company made tons of money on other industry and is using that to unbalance this industry?

We will just have to see how it all plays out mate. I’m sure PlayStation isn’t done acquiring IPs/Studios. I buy all three consoles anyway but i understand people being pissed off.

Last edited:

AphexTwunt

It''s not console warring to want games to be fully devoted to run on only one piece of hardware. That's literally the only way "console magic special sauce" happens and how games like God of War and Last of Us 2 end up looking better than any PC game in some places while running on 2013 hardware.

Delusional.

Imtjnotu

What was the last time that a game that has never been shown, or even talked about by the devs, been released just after an E3 event. Games are usually shown years in advance

zcaa0g

Banned
I wonder if these people realize the vast majority of people couldn't care about their predictions even if they have been right 100% of the time in the past. What happens, happens, and doesn't change our life one iota.

Their answer would be buy an Xbox or play it on PC. They’re not taking anything away, they’re incentivizing their platforms. I would say that it definitely sucks for people in those countries who can’t afford it and have to make a tough choice as to which games they want more. I mean you yourself really don’t want to see them bringing PS exclusives to PC. It’s not any different. Just because PS is the market leader doesn’t change what the competition should do with IP they acquired.

Their answer would be buy an Xbox or play it on PC. They’re not taking anything away, they’re incentivizing their platforms. I would say that it definitely sucks for people in those countries who can’t afford it and have to make a tough choice as to which games they want more. I mean you yourself really don’t want to see them bringing PS exclusives to PC. It’s not any different. Just because PS is the market leader doesn’t change what the competition should do with IP they acquired.
We will see. As far as I am concerned Starfield is an unknown quantity and it is too early to worry about not being able to play it.

I am just surprised that ONLY Starfield is named as an exclusive as of now. That is very far away from just saying EVERYTHING would be. I was seriously expecting Bethesda to be fully locked out of Playstation, but now I am 99% sure this is not on the cards for now.

Starfield would be the test case of whether there was any financial viability in losing PlayStation customers. If it ended up making enough money then maybe that would lead to more Playstation blocks for other games. But I am CERTAIN that they use Starfield because it is a new IP without an existing fanbase, so if it doesn't work out then they can just forget about it and move on back to multiplat. No one knows what the future holds, so that is why Xbox doesn't want to make a final decision.

And this is separete from if Starfield was going to be a good game or not; and chances are the quality of the game would strongly influence the outcome of this experiment.

We will see. As far as I am concerned Starfield is an unknown quantity and it is too early to worry about not being able to play it.

I am just surprised that ONLY Starfield is named as an exclusive as of now. That is very far away from just saying EVERYTHING would be. I was seriously expecting Bethesda to be fully locked out of Playstation, but now I am 99% sure this is not on the cards for now.

Starfield would be the test case of whether there was any financial viability in losing PlayStation customers. If it ended up making enough money then maybe that would lead to more Playstation blocks for other games. But I am CERTAIN that they use Starfield because it is a new IP without an existing fanbase, so if it doesn't work out then they can just forget about it and move on back to multiplat. No one knows what the future holds, so that is why Xbox doesn't want to make a final decision.

And this is separete from if Starfield was going to be a good game or not; and chances are the quality of the game would strongly influence the outcome of this experiment.

As long as MS is in the console making business, it makes zero sense for them not to keep the heavy hitters exclusive. They’re not afraid of giving up millions in revenue in the short term for a long term strategy. Whether that works or not is another story.

As long as MS is in the console making business, it makes zero sense for them not to keep the heavy hitters exclusive. They’re not afraid of giving up millions in revenue in the short term for a long term strategy. Whether that works or not is another story.
Look, they have a heavy Hitter right now called "Minecraft".
If they ARE willing to give up millions in revenue, then Minecraft should not be allowed to run on PS5. This is that simple. Your words do not match MS's current actions.

Look, they have a heavy Hitter right now called "Minecraft".
If they ARE willing to give up millions in revenue, then Minecraft should not be allowed to run on PS5. This is that simple. Your words do not match MS's current actions.

False equivalence, that was a game that was out for years before acquired by MS. Comparing an existing title to new titles is apples and oranges. I don’t mean to be rude, but that’s a foolish comparison.

False equivalence, that was a game that was out for years before acquired by MS. Comparing an existing title to new titles is apples and oranges. I don’t mean to be rude, but that’s a foolish comparison.
And exactly how does its age have any relevence to my point? PS4 have existing contracts in place, but not for PS5. MS is in their full right to not release Minecraft for PS5. The only thing stopping them is the piles of money they would be missing out.

The difference here is that Microsoft has the actual profit estimates of what Mincraft on Playstation bring them. While Starfield is totally unknown and as such it would look less bad on the balance sheet if it ended up not working out.

Minecraft not being on PS5 = Xbox Division has a sudden drop in profitability that can be seen on a chart.Share Holders hate that.

Starfield not making as much money as it could, would not cause the same amount of issue because there is no "loss" of money compared to the previous year. Because the IP didn't exist yet. That is why Starfield is going to be the monkey that is going to be sent into Space, without knowing if it would ever get back to Earth or not.

And exactly how does its age have any relevence to my point? PS4 have existing contracts in place, but not for PS5. MS is in their full right to not release Minecraft for PS5. The only thing stopping them is the piles of money they would be missing out.

The difference here is that Microsoft has the actual profit estimates of what Mincraft on Playstation bring them. While Starfield is totally unknown and as such it would look less bad on the balance sheet if it ended up not working out.

Minecraft not being on PS5 = Xbox Division has a sudden drop in profitability that can be seen on a chart.Share Holders hate that.

Starfield not making as much money as it could, would not cause the same amount of issue because there is no "loss" of money compared to the previous year. Because the IP didn't exist yet. That is why Starfield is going to be the monkey that is going to be sent into Space, without knowing if it would ever get back to Earth or not.

If you can’t see the difference between maximizing the profit on an existing title that is already multi platform and keeping new titles exclusive then I can’t help you. They’re drastically different from a business perspective. Star field is irrelevant, Bethesda heavy hitter new titles will be exclusive unless PS starts allowing GP on its consoles. MS has a plan and they’re happy to share their games through GP. Phil has made that clear.

Last edited:

Dane

After this Jeff Grub guy and Dusk Gollem last year who said PS5 version of RE8 is problematic

Not to mention the endless Gamepass thread here on Neogaf

The amount of astroturfing from the green camp is quite unreal yo

Xbox is really actively seeking influencer and gaming journalist for this

Ahhh yes, the astroturfing, where did i see this again years ago?

Some of the fanboy freakouts on ERA are hilarious, like our good boy RexNovis:

It is absolutely gross to me how many people are so ready to gleefully celebrate this and the whole concept of MS buying their way into the market by snapping up an entire publisher.

and no buying a studio with a noted history of making wholly funded exclusive software is not remotely the same so miss me with all these dismissive disingenuous insomniac comparisons. There is quite literally no comparison for this at all at least not in the games industry anyways.

But hey this is what MS does. If they can’t compete with the market leader or they’re late to arrive on market they just try their damndest to buy their way into relevance instead of actually putting the time, effort and work in to grow an audience with a compelling enough product of their own.

But this is the first time they have pulled this crap in a predominantly creative driven market and frankly it sucks. As gross as it is to see this happen, seeing people celebrating this crap as if this consolidation and anti competitive behavior is something to admire is so much worse.

You can't make up this amount of sheer ignorance if you tried :LOL:

Anyway, I personally think it'll be Xbox/PC exclusive. People keep saying the PS version is really far along and maybe it is, but truth is we don't know the dev history on that version. We can only assume it was somewhere far along if Sony were trying to net timed exclusivity.

Speaking of which, seems like everyone keeps forgetting Jim Ryan's interview where he was asked about Starfield coming to PS5 and he said he didn't even know. Given Sony already had timed exclusivity deals for Deathloop and Ghostwire set up pre-acquisition and Jim didn't seem worried about those suddenly not coming to PS5, some common sense and process of elimination should lead folks to conclude that the reason he said that WRT Starfield is because they don't have any pre-existing timed exclusivity contracts set up, at the very least.

And a little more common sense should tell folks that a game is not guaranteed nor required to release on a given platform simply because the platform exists, if there's no exclusivity deals or such set in place beforehand. It'll be wholly on the whim of Microsoft and since PlayStation isn't a platform "where GamePass exists", then there's pretty much 0% chance it's coming to that platform.

I don't see how this is so hard to comprehend 🤷‍♂️

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Not just the PS5 version, but they also released a console exclusive VR version for PlayStation that isn't even available on the Xbox platform. 🤷‍♂️

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

It's really not an issue. Starfield is an unknown quantity; it could be great or it could be a dud. PlayStation isn't missing out on much. Bethesda is no longer the same company it was 10 years ago. Only Arakane is a team worth having.

Xbox also needs exclusive. PS has its own exclusives, and they are much better at it. Unless a person owns both consoles, it is always a matter of picking the one you like more. When Starfield releases, God of War Ragnarok will also be releasing around the same time. Which one would you rather play? Which one would be a bigger success? Everyone already knows the answer.

Competition is good. It will also encourage PlayStation to produce and secure better content; they are already doing it. It will be a fun generation with PS bringing the heat. You'll see. In 2 years, PlayStation gamers will be drowning with high-quality games (not just games for the sake of quantity), but proper next-gen AAA blockbuster experiences, ala Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Xbox gamers, have fun with Starfield and Fable and Avowed and Hellblade 2 when they come. PlayStation gamers, have fun with Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, Forspoken, Final Fantasy, and God of War when they come.

Stuart360

Imagine saying this, especially on this forum.
Come on Bryank lol.

Top Bottom