• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If your demand for backwards compatibility leans to exclusive, THEN YOU'RE LATE! stick to last gen. [Rant]

I want to play "old" games with higher (or at least more stable) frame rates and higher resolutions, you muppet.

Like, have you ever played Nioh 2's movie mode with unlocked framerate? It runs like ass on current gen.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Sorry OP you lose. Who wants a remaster if you already paid for the original? I am mainly a PC gamer because of backwards compatibility. I love preserving my old games from consoles so I can replay them on my PC. I dump or rip my console games all the time so I can play them through an emulator on PC.

I don't trust the big 3 console makers to do that job for me. So far MS has gotten b/c right and I love them for saving me time and money, because I don't have to worry as much about trying to get all the XBox systems up and running on PC.
Although there are still some games that aren't b/c yet.

Also, PC has the most native backwards compatible games available anywhere. I can go right now and play Half-Life, Quake or original Doom with no issues.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ars technica is not a playstation centric site. The sixth axis is just the site that shared the story. A billion hours sounds like a lot but it isn't that impressive. Destiny, by itself, had over 100,000 years of playtime logged by its player base... In 2014. A billion hours sounds more impressive than 1.5%
OK so your source is still a user poll on Ars Technica that took place after the Xbox One had BC for a total of 5 months (Sept 2016 - Feb 2017) and a very limited number of catalog offerings. A few months after that poll started circulating, Mike Nichols at Microsoft shared that over 50% of Xbox One users had used backwards compatibility and (at that time) there was over 500 million hours logged. That was June of 2017, and my stats I posted above were from May 2018. So even if things stay at a steady trajectory of 500 million hours per year (hint: it's higher than that and set to go higher still!) we can estimate that's at least 2 billion hours played to date. Remember, this is even before Game Pass came along and gave people subscription access to a massive number of BC titles.

OP is literally trying to minimize billions of hours of collective human enjoyment.

Last edited:
TL;DR

Meltdown thread? 🤣🤣

BC seems to really bug a certain group of people.

giphy.gif

TheShocker

OP makes stupid thread.
Community reacts to stupid thread, calling OP out.
OP posts middle finger gif further signifying his ignorance, justifying the reaction from the community.
Awesome.

Remastering old games is more costly and time consuming than backwards comparability. Why have individual developers work on remastering old games when they could work on new games? All while the console you’re playing on already has backwards comparability built into the system. Is OP stupid or something?

Also, if you don’tactually understand the appeal of backwards compatibility, then there no reason for anyone to explain it to you. It’s not rocket science. It’s actually incredibly obvious.

Shaukdotdj

OK so your source is still a user poll on Ars Technica that took place after the Xbox One had BC for a total of 5 months (Sept 2016 - Feb 2017) and a very limited number of catalog offerings. A few months after that poll started circulating, Mike Nichols at Microsoft shared that over 50% of Xbox One users had used backwards compatibility and (at that time) there was over 500 million hours logged. That was June of 2017, and my stats I posted above were from May 2018. So even if things stay at a steady trajectory of 500 million hours per year (hint: it's higher than that and set to go higher still!) we can estimate that's at least 2 billion hours played to date. Remember, this is even before Game Pass came along and gave people subscription access to a massive number of BC titles.

OP is literally trying to minimize billions of hours of collective human enjoyment.
Op isn't doing that, the general "let's settle for x86 always" camp has its advantages, sure, backwards compatibility being one of them. But console manufacturers don't want to simply put a PC in a box, they have engineers that allow them to break that mold and implement attempts at innovation and sometimes it comes at the cost of not being compatible with the status quo.
Y'all sound stuck on Diesel or Gasoline arguments when people are trying to adopt the advantages of electric.
"but my gas pumps I'm familiar with won't work" is the hand wringing response.

And as for other arguments like: ”but what if i like to go back and play my old games!?"

Then... keep your old consoles..

Help me understand...maybe I'm missing something unto why backwards compatibility in new consoles matters so much?

This to me seems like a game concumer demand than a game collector issue, they actually keep or have their old hardware.

if you have not played these games yet (to my understanding, most theses games are offline, single player, story driven exclusive titles), then... You're late

Now the entire Industry has the cater to you all because you want to Play Horizon Zero Dawn and Rare Replay for the first time.

We should be demanding more remastered games than backwards compatibility.

Who is Backwards compatibility really for?

60fps is kind of a big deal for BC. Makes gameplay so much more responsive and gives new life to these games.

NahaNago

The thing is this is a enthusiast gamer forum so bc will generally be seen as a must here. Personally for me, now I generally don't care that much about it. If i really wanted that game during the time it came out I would have bought it and played it. I figured the majority of the folks here are also adults who could buy the game if they want and play it. At most a console should at least be able to play the generation that came before it. I really do think though that Sony should just make a super expensive console that plays ps1 to current gen just for the enthusiast crowd.

Op isn't doing that, the general "let's settle for x86 always" camp has its advantages, sure, backwards compatibility being one of them. But console manufacturers don't want to simply put a PC in a box, they have engineers that allow them to break that mold and implement attempts at innovation and sometimes it comes at the cost of not being compatible with the status quo.
Y'all sound stuck on Diesel or Gasoline arguments when people are trying to adopt the advantages of electric.
Last time's consoles were "innovative" other than Nintendo's unique control strategies was PS360. PS3 was extremely hard to dev for and took YEARS before we saw things that were "newish" and even then, they were just ok. And matched by the PC and 360 space anyways. So it didn't amount to shit really. When PS3 talks were ramping up, they were talking about the PS3 controlling your Microwave, TV, Refridgerator, etc. None of that shit that matters for a game console.

You don't think that Sony/MSFT wouldn't just love to put an off the shelf PC into a box and start reaping the rewards? You obliviously haven't been paying attention. That's the direction it's been going since PS4/Xbone. Any perceived benefits of "innovative" hardware development is usually matched or beaten by off the shelf PC shit almost immediately anyways so you're spending crazy amounts on R&D that don't have much practical value. It's why PS5/XsX are more like PC's than even the PS4/Xbone were.

The thing is this is a enthusiast gamer forum so bc will generally be seen as a must here. Personally for me, now I generally don't care that much about it. If i really wanted that game during the time it came out I would have bought it and played it. I figured the majority of the folks here are also adults who could buy the game if they want and play it. At most a console should at least be able to play the generation that came before it. I really do think though that Sony should just make a super expensive console that plays ps1 to current gen just for the enthusiast crowd.

Did you completely miss the part were OP talks about how money should be spent on Remasters instead of BC? At a MINIMUM consoles should be able to play the prior generation, ideally they should be able to play everything. I can play more PlayStation games on my PC than I can on any single version of PlayStation.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
While I don't really agree with you (See Krappadizzle Krappadizzle 's reply above because he said everything I wanted to) this is still a much more reasoned argument than "nobody uses it".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Help me understand...maybe I'm missing something unto why backwards compatibility in new consoles matters so much?
Because I can play my beloved games like The Last Guardian and Sekiro with smoother FPS, but we also getting new games for PS5 down the line, so I don't see anything wrong with that.

Shaukdotdj

I mean I personally don't prioritize it but I guess that obviously doesn't apply to everyone, this coming from someone with over 500 ps4 games myself. I still plan on keeping mine.

Kayoba

Because we like older games and we don't think it's appealing to have multiple consoles with more cables in our living room/bedroom.

Yes, because every generation we want to pay 70$ for the exact same game with slightly better graphics, higher framerates and bugfixes.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Do you own PlayStation bed sheets op?

Most of the games I want to play are old games on PlayStation lol

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

Space comes at a premium in any home, the back compat games are actually performing better and can be enjoyed with better framrates and IQ giving them a new lease of life, many would have been 5 or 6 years old when PS4 and Xbox One launched and PS5 and Xbox Series S/X will be their first console purchases with back compact they can easily access hundreds of amazing titles on launch without any barriers

Having a more robust feature set is not a bad thing it is a good thing dont know what you are complaining about

cosmicom

Banned
--- there´s a lot of BC games I want to do with maximum comfort, directly from the hardware is connected to my tv.

--- I want to play BC games with better fps, auto HDR...

why someone would not love BC???

Jadsey

OP is correct.

BC is a complete smokescreen invented by Phil to cover up the fact he is incapable of producing new premium games for his system.

The XsX is becoming a glorified SNES Classic!

Start making games Xbox!

Faithless83

Banned
And as for other arguments like: ”but what if i like to go back and play my old games!?"

This to me seems like a game concumer demand than a game collector issue, they actually keep or have their old hardware.

if you have not played these games yet (to my understanding, most theses games are offline, single player, story driven exclusive titles), then... You're late

Now the entire Industry has the cater to you all because you want to Play Horizon Zero Dawn and Rare Replay for the first time.

Have some heart man, not every launch line up has new games you know? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

As a collector I do welcome the move and I have a lot of games for this gen that I want and can play running better on the new consoles.
Actually it's the main reason for me to buy the PS5 at launch. So in my case, and I believe I'm not the only one, it's pushing sales.

Keihart

More remasters? are you high OP?
Remasters hardly ever make the original game look better or anything and most often than not make the game look just different....also, you pay again for almost the same product
I prefer BC when possible so that performance bound tittles run better even if not perfect and when something feels too old, just remake it with all the love it deserves.

Last edited:

Roberts

Listen, the time I spend on BC games pales in comparison to what I spend playing new games on my X1X, but at least I have the possibility to do that. And it is an amazing feature - I've played and loved plentiful of games that I would never otherwise play, because I have no intention to connect old consoles to my TV.

Also, enhancements! I can't wait to play some old games with Auto-HDR feature on XSX.

NahaNago

Did you completely miss the part were OP talks about how money should be spent on Remasters instead of BC? At a MINIMUM consoles should be able to play the prior generation, ideally they should be able to play everything. I can play more PlayStation games on my PC than I can on any single version of PlayStation.

I agree that ideally they should be able to play everything. Remasters I'm not the biggest fan of. I do like remakes and reimagine a game. BC is not that big a deal for me.

Hudo

-----------​
My reaction to your comments: Predictable. As for Game Pass and other services like it and playing old games on PC. Valid, in fact, something I do personally on PC.

But backwards Compatible as a hardware feature in video games console moving forward doesn't seems necessary. It's like an smartphone with an headphone jack. It's not an if..it's a when.. and who will be the first to.
Backwards compatibility matters because console manufacturers have decided to lock people into their ecosystems with online accounts, digital-only purchases and similar shit. So in order to keep people locked in, they need to carry over all that shit to the next platforms. Otherwise a new console generation would mean that customers have an easier choice to go into a new ecosystem, when they can't carry their old shit over.

The manufacturers have brought this on themselves with this digital-only/account shit.

spawn

Your link is to a survey from a PlayStation-centric site. Mine is from Microsoft's actual numbers. And that's from 2018 - a billion hours, damn. Now imagine how high that number will climb when they're talking about people playing Xbox One games on Xbox Series X|S.
Playstation gamers don't need to play old games because Sony keeps cranking out new ones unlike another company we know

MrFunSocks

Banned
My PS1 just died OP, what store can I go to to buy a brand new one as a replacement?

One of the absolute dumbest threads ever. Congratulations.

nemiroff

Gold Member
As a PC gamer I know that console BC where lots of games finally get to run in an improved and proper state is important and exciting thing and will definitely make an impact. Also, some of us don't live alone, and we want to keep our homes tidy, elegant and efficient. I used to have generations of consoles lying around in the past, but that time and clutter is definitely over.

Last edited:
Last time's consoles were "innovative" other than Nintendo's unique control strategies was PS360. PS3 was extremely hard to dev for and took YEARS before we saw things that were "newish" and even then, they were just ok. And matched by the PC and 360 space anyways. So it didn't amount to shit really. When PS3 talks were ramping up, they were talking about the PS3 controlling your Microwave, TV, Refridgerator, etc. None of that shit that matters for a game console.

You don't think that Sony/MSFT wouldn't just love to put an off the shelf PC into a box and start reaping the rewards? You obliviously haven't been paying attention. That's the direction it's been going since PS4/Xbone. Any perceived benefits of "innovative" hardware development is usually matched or beaten by off the shelf PC shit almost immediately anyways so you're spending crazy amounts on R&D that don't have much practical value. It's why PS5/XsX are more like PC's than even the PS4/Xbone were.

OP is correct.

BC is a complete smokescreen invented by Phil to cover up the fact he is incapable of producing new premium games for his system.

The XsX is becoming a glorified SNES Classic!

Start making games Xbox!

Flintty

Whilst the majority of the responses in this thread are correct, I’m gonna add something I say every time this comes up.

Games. As. A. Service.

People spend a ton of cash on GAAS. Why should they have to pay for the base game again on new hardware and potentially lose all their purchases? They don’t on PC.

Free enhanced patches are nice too!

93xfan

Banned
Wanting to play older games with amazing enhancements and a better user interface and lower latency with the better controller is difficult to understand?

OP, you clearly didn’t think this through... at all. What in the world?

Zambatoh

In my case, it's due to degradation. Older consoles, through years of constant use leading to wear and tear, will eventually stop working completely.
My PS1 struggles to read discs unless I tilt it diagonally.
My PS2 struggles to read memory cards and my controller inputs, making it pretty much unusable. Also you need a special converter box just to play these older consoles on modern TV screens.
My PS3's Blu-Ray drive shorted out years ago. I had to physically replace the reader with an aftermarket one.

My Sega Genesis can't read the carts anymore due to corrosion caused by younger me constantly blowing into the carts.
Surprisingly my Saturn still works, but the battery is dead so no memory data can be permanently saved.

I could go on for quite a while, but my points is, we need legacy support in some form or another. Either these big rich corporations find a way to incorporate it into their shiny new machines or the emulation scene will do it for them on PC. And you can bet they won't see a single penny from that.

Also incidentally all my PC discs from mid-90's-Present day still work perfectly fine, give or take a few DOS games that need to be run through an emulator.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What struck me about this logic, is like if actually dev teams grinding some new games was actually responsible for the BC. Which is not the case. It's like saying why have quick resume, card in dashboard, when you can have new game. That's not how it works...

trikster40

BC is nice, especially with the improvements. I rarely played PS1 games on PS2, and I rarely played PS2 games on PS3, but I have a HUGE backlog of PS4 games that I’m looking forward to playing at 60FPS.

20cent

Banned
I hope that your next phone or computer is incompatible with all your previous related store purchases then...

Please explain to us OP how BC is preventing you from enjoying your new console and how a software emulator is holding said consoles back? Also, further elaborate on you butthurt because it sounds like backward compatibility fucked your girlfriend.

Top Bottom