• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If your demand for backwards compatibility leans to exclusive, THEN YOU'RE LATE! stick to last gen. [Rant]

And as for other arguments like: ”but what if i like to go back and play my old games!?"

Then... keep your old consoles..

Help me understand...maybe I'm missing something unto why backwards compatibility in new consoles matters so much?

This to me seems like a game concumer demand than a game collector issue, they actually keep or have their old hardware.

if you have not played these games yet (to my understanding, most theses games are offline, single player, story driven exclusive titles), then... You're late

Now the entire Industry has the cater to you all because you want to Play Horizon Zero Dawn and Rare Replay for the first time.

We should be demanding more remastered games than backwards compatibility.

Who is Backwards compatibility really for?
-----------​
My reaction to your comments: Predictable. As for Game Pass and other services like it and playing old games on PC. Valid, in fact, something I do personally on PC.

But backwards Compatible as a hardware feature in video games console moving forward doesn't seems necessary. It's like an smartphone with an headphone jack. It's not an if..it's a when.. and who will be the first to.

Last edited:
Because I really would prefer my entertainment center not consist of 6 consoles sandwiched together and behind each other?

People still play ROMs/old consoles *constantly*... I don't even get how this is a question.

Edit: I should have also added the upscaling of old games via BC, but it's been taken care of I see.

Last edited by a moderator:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OP obviously doesn't understand that older games play better on the new consoles. Why would I want to keep my OG Xbox plugged in to play Morrowind, when the Series X can play it at a buttery smooth 60fps instead of like 10fps? The Final Fantasy XIII trilogy on the One X were basically remasters, rather than stuttery messes.

"But what if I like to go back and play my old games!?" - well, you're in luck because your old games look and play better than ever before.

And as for other arguments like: ”but what if i like to go back and play my old games!?"

Help me understand...maybe I'm missing something unto why backwards compatibility in new consoles matters so much?

This to me seems like a game concumer demand than a game collector issue, they actually keep or have their old hardware.

if you have not played these games yet (to my understanding, most theses games are offline, single player, story driven exclusive titles), then... You're late

Now the entire Industry has the cater to you all because you want to Play Horizon Zero Dawn and Rare Replay for the first time.

Take the PS3 and PS3.. first two years of each console were pretty dry after launch. BC allows you the opportunity to get more life out of your new console.

And 100% disagree about remasters. New Games and new idea are needed, not a retelling of the same game I played 10 years ago. Gaming as a medium has grown tremendously over the last 20 years.

bxrz

Launch lineups don't matter. The consoles still sellout because people want new stuff. Who the hell wants to play Cyberpunk on a Xbox One?

Give it some months and some exclusives will be there

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why does it bother you so much?

I'll probably spend twice as much time on last-gen games on my PS5 in the first year than this-gen games.

I am excited for it because of the improved performance; although I was also hoping for much better load times and am a bit confused why we didn't get that.

This is retarded.

Jeeves

I don't box up my old games when new ones come out, I keep playing them alongside the new ones. And yeah, sometimes I even buy new-to-me old games. But I currently have seven consoles hooked up, with a few more that I keep near the entertainment center ready to be swapped in. I'm already beyond capacity for consoles I want to keep hooked up. I would kill to be able to consolidate the consoles I have hooked up without sacrificing the ability to play my whole library.

I'm guessing you currently only own 1-3 consoles or something?

Azurro

Banned
Well, it's not like you can play every single good game in a generation, right? So it's nice to go back to your old favourites if you want to do another run or play that game you missed out on. However, the only thing I'll kind of agree with you is that it should never be THE focus of a launch.

Microsoft is hyping BC that much because they have no next generation games for the foreseeable future, which is insane to me. They are more focused on selling gamepass subscriptions, which is why the Series X/S support is so light.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Most overhyped feature to be sure.

4 years into a gen with a box that was never full BC isn't surprising to see such a low number.

If you surveyed PS5 and XSX users over the next year, you'd get very different results. Both systems are advertising BC from the start, and there's far more last-gen games for people to play.

You’re mad that gamers get more features and companies are less incentivized to sell you low effort ports for close to full price?

I don’t particularly enjoy having multiple consoles set up. Old consoles and controllers are out of date with modern TVs a lot of the time.

What is wrong with having BC features? It’s only positive for consumers

Picture+2.png

Three

backlogs or people buying a different console. I agree that going back and playing a game you have already played due to fps or whatever is a waste of time to me too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Most overhyped feature to be sure.

Your link is to a survey from a PlayStation-centric site. Mine is from Microsoft's actual numbers. And that's from 2018 - a billion hours, damn. Now imagine how high that number will climb when they're talking about people playing Xbox One games on Xbox Series X|S.

splattered

The people who question this are pretty much just the people who have not had it previously for whatever reason. Either that or they only play games once and move on (often just a rental) or they only play stuff like COD/Fifa so no need to keep previous year's entry. Though i argue against that for COD cause it is definitely fun to go back and play older titles in that series.

JCK75

I have game pass, I want to play new and old games, and I want to play them better than previous hardware will run them..
it's not that difficult, and I also want nextgen enhancements added without having to buy the game again.

Spokker

I have never played a backwards compatible game to completion. I just boot it up and say, "Hey that's neat, it's in 4K now."

But if they ever skimped on backwards compatibility I would raise hell.

Old consoles break, better controller, play old games in HD, and its a pain to hook and unhook them up repeatedly when you feel like playing something. People go digital because their too lazy to get off their ass and change a disc, surely you could see why people don't wanna be constantly unboxing and hooking up their old consoles.

Only thing I can think of....How old are you Victor Omega Victor Omega ? We've been doing this dance for 20+ years on consoles and PC's have unlimited Backwards Compatibility. Why you'd argue for LESS things to play even if you have no intention of playing them seems childish to me.

Years from now, when you've grown into an adult, you'll maybe understand the value of BC and why it's important. I have a great PC, I'd be annoyed as fuck if I had to dig out old PC parts to jump in and play through Half-Life 2 again, or Warcraft or whatever..when my current PC is more than capable of playing those things. No different with consoles.

There's a HUGE reason that PS2 BC was so important in the early life of the PlayStation. It gave you access to some of the best games ever made, while still giving you access to the new shit too. You'll understand it one day bud, you may just not be there yet.

Last edited:

soulbait

Yeah DVD players should not be able to play CDs.
Blu-Ray players should not be able to play DVDs or CDs.
4K Blu-Ray players should not be able to play Blu-Rays, DVDs, or CDs......

Also, PC gamers are able to upgrade their gear and play older games with better performance than before. Why not consoles?

Shaukdotdj

Your link is to a survey from a PlayStation-centric site. Mine is from Microsoft's actual numbers. And that's from 2018 - a billion hours, damn. Now imagine how high that number will climb when they're talking about people playing Xbox One games on Xbox Series X|S.
Ars technica is not a playstation centric site. The sixth axis is just the site that shared the story. A billion hours sounds like a lot but it isn't that impressive. Destiny, by itself, had over 100,000 years of playtime logged by its player base... In 2014. A billion hours sounds more impressive than 1.5%

Top Bottom