• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you actually care about Xbox you need to be hammering them hard right now

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ooooh, damn! This didnt age well...
It did. Microsoft reacted, they changed a lot in the past few months. If it wasn’t for the backlash they wouldn’t have delayed Halo. Also, I am confident that the backlash had a lot to do with the negotiations that ensued when acquiring Bethesda. I am confident talks were in place but the price seemed too high for Microsoft until they really saw themselves in trouble.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Did the hammering work?

giphy.gif

MarkMe2525

It did. Microsoft reacted, they changed a lot in the past few months. If it wasn’t for the backlash they wouldn’t have delayed Halo. Also, I am confident that the backlash had a lot to do with the negotiations that ensued when acquiring Bethesda. I am confident talks were in place but the price seemed too high for Microsoft until they really saw themselves in trouble.
Major Nelson posted an interview with Todd Howard and Phil. They talk about how they starting talking about the deal this summer. In the video they were all goofing with each other like they were old war buddies as well. It definitely seems like their personal relationships had a lot to do with it happening.

Lethal01

I feel this OP should be reconsidered in the context of current opinions. How much of what's complained about here magically changed in the last week?

Not much if anything. They have been buying studios for ages, what they need to do is actually put out some impressive exclusives.
Right now they are in the same position as they were when the OP was made.

Many studios, but no games to get people hype, just the possibility that in 2 or 3 years they get their shit together.

Kerotan

Not much if anything. They have been buying studios for ages, what they need to do is actually put out some impressive exclusives.
Right now they are in the same position as they were when the OP was made.

Many studios, but no games to get people hype, just the possibility that in 2 or 3 years they get their shit together.
I feel like we've been hearing this just wait 2 or 3 years for the last decade. I think that's why most people jumped ship to pc/ps/switch. Tired of waiting.

ruvikx

Banned
I feel like we've been hearing this just wait 2 or 3 years for the last decade. I think that's why most people jumped ship to pc/ps/switch. Tired of waiting.

These aren't just "any" studios though, i.e. they're the people who make Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Rage, Prey, Evil Within, Wolfenstein, Dishonored etc.

It's big news.

Kagey K

Banned
I don’t get this 2 or 3 years shit, do you think Bethesda wasn’t going to have an E3 conference in 2021 and release no games that year?

There are going to be games sooner than you think.

As extra homework, let’s figure out the last year Zenimax didn’t release at least one game.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I don’t get this 2 or 3 years shit, do you think Bethesda wasn’t going to have an E3 conference in 2021 and release no games that year?

There are going to be games sooner than you think.

As extra homework, let’s figure out the last year Zenimax didn’t release at least one game.

And I will be excited if this happens and they have exclusives that make tons of people wish they had an Xbox. But they've had tons of talented studios for a while now and they just haven't done it, so I can't say "they did it" just yet.

They need to actually, you know, do it.

NinjaBoiX

How is backwards compatible a major selling point for a new console I’ll never understand. Because let’s face it that’s ali the series X has for the first year.
It’s a huge point of me as a ps4 gamer this gen, and honestly one of the big things swinging me towards MS this gen.

- Sony will undoubtedly have a stronger catalogue of first party titles, but I’m dubious about the build quality of their hardware. My PS4 pro flat out refuses to play Modern Warfare now, fans kick into overdrive in the lobby and it shuts off.

- MS will likely have a weaker first party catalogue, but they have the more powerful hardware and therefore better third party releases. And as stated above, Game Pass is a huge thing for me as I’ve missed LOADS of titles this last few years. And I have more faith in the build quality of their hardware until shown otherwise.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Newbie console'rs dont get it.
Every new gen is a reset.
And if Sony fans were not worry about Jim Ryan's handling in the past 2 years, now they will.
If MS fans believed in Phil for the past 2 years, the present news further solidifies that trust. :messenger_bicep:
No it's not. People want to keep their current-gen games and like to stick around nowadays.
MS fans believed in Phil since ever and so far he hasn't delivered shit except "this E3 will have our greatest line-up yet" 3 years in a row hahaha.

Kerotan

These aren't just "any" studios though, i.e. they're the people who make Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Rage, Prey, Evil Within, Wolfenstein, Dishonored etc.

It's big news.
Wolfenstein, doom, dishonoured, rage, Prey and evil within are not sellers anymore. And all of them sold a big chunk on the ps4 so without they are even less relevant.

Fallout is damaged goods but Obsidian after their current game could make an awesome fallout. But that would be like 6-8 years away. Elder Scrolls is big but won't the current online game continue from PS4 to PS5? I'm just not seeing this massively moving the needle for MS. They need a good first 2 years and the crazy thing is the ps5 gets 2 Bethesda exclusives in that time.

Orky

Banned
No it's not. People want to keep their current-gen games and like to stick around nowadays.
MS fans believed in Phil since ever and so far he hasn't delivered shit except "this E3 will have our greatest line-up yet" 3 years in a row hahaha.

really? I thought no one wants to play old games. Now they do suddenly?
With Xbox it’s super easy to switch anyways. Just subscribe to game pass and then you have hundreds of games.

Wolfenstein, doom, dishonoured, rage, Prey and evil within are not sellers anymore. And all of them sold a big chunk on the ps4 so without they are even less relevant.

Fallout is damaged goods but Obsidian after their current game could make an awesome fallout. But that would be like 6-8 years away. Elder Scrolls is big but won't the current online game continue from PS4 to PS5? I'm just not seeing this massively moving the needle for MS. They need a good first 2 years and the crazy thing is the ps5 gets 2 Bethesda exclusives in that time.

Lol. Wolfenstein and especially DOOM is massive.

You are in denial.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I do worry about the fate of critical darlings that are commercial flops. MS has little patience for underperforming studios and ip’s.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

Xbox has always been reactionary and has had very little foresight. Outside of (now) making decent hardware and successfully setting up a cheap game rental service they've been flat. It's like Microsoft still doesn't understand how to participate in this industry or run a video games business and it's been showing since 2009. Phil needs to go, plain and simple. He's been running their studios into the ground for a decade and has now moved into a position to run the division into the ground.
No titles for two years, refusing to show games running on XSX, hiding a compromised machine, and the embarrassment of Halo followed by its hasty delay.
You can be happy with Xbox just

UZy63tw.jpg

MS right now doesn't know shit about this industry.

Lmao, these didnt age well, did they?

Your post history here and on ERA show you as a massive Sony fanboy. Nobody gives a shit about your extremely biased opinion. Your recent posts trying to downplay this acquisition is hilarious at best. If you don't think that in 2 years from now, even BEFORE Bethesda, that the upcoming lineup was going to actually come to fruition (finally), then that says it all right there. Now you add these mega franchises and legendary developers/studios and more and, yeah.

You're gonna have a rough gen, and It's going to get worse for you if MS CEO is serious about more acquisitions. Buckle up.

Three

Lmao, these didnt age well, did they?
They aged perfectly as did the OP. Nothing has really changed or been announced for the xbox other than xbox fans being happy that possible already announced future games might now not come to PS.

Does it change the fact that the Series X/S launch is a wasteland still and may be for 2 more years. Does it change the fact that Halo was a let down and delayed? Not really.

MS like always made a big acquisition like they always do, for tax reasons and it made sense to get studios for gamepass. What's changed for the launch? What's been delivered?

Last edited:

Kerotan

really? I thought no one wants to play old games. Now they do suddenly?
With Xbox it’s super easy to switch anyways. Just subscribe to game pass and then you have hundreds of games.

Lol. Wolfenstein and especially DOOM is massive.

You are in denial.
Maybe at massive discounts. Did you see the lunch sales for those games and don't forget far more copies sold on ps4 then xbox. The series will shrink by default being only on xbox/pc.

Kuranghi

I've now seen everything. DOOM is no longer relevant.

Pretty soon Mario won't be relevant anymore.
Sales were small at launch across all platforms. It sold well heavily discounted. I bought it for like GBP 7.31 ( €8 [EUR]).

I thought it would've sold better than this but he's right, can't find more up to date sales figures except one page that said "3 million" but they didn't say where they got that number from. These numbers are official for the first 10 days of sale.

So yeah, its not a giant seller at the very least. Right now, Its £16.99 on cd key sites, but not steam version unfort, the Bethesda Gaem Luncher version.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I thought it would've sold better than this but he's right, can't find more up to date sales figures except one page that said "3 million" but they didn't say where they got that number from. These numbers are official for the first 10 days of sale.

So yeah, its not a giant seller at the very least. Right now, Its £16.99 on cd key sites, but not steam version unfort, the Bethesda Gaem Luncher version.

Hmmm

wolffy71

Banned
To say i "care" about a 1.5 trillion dollar company would a bit of a stretch.

Maybe if they show they care about me, personally. I wont hold my breath.

Shmunter

I don’t get it, after the excellent 1st game?

They need to provide a solid next gen patch to get the juices flowing for launch. Would bring in a few extra sales for sure while people are hungry for next gen showpieces.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Thread bumps are entertaining. Maybe they will slow us all down from talking so much bullshit.

I'm really looking forward to my Series X arriving, but this did remind me how huge the Halo Infinite mess up is.

Mmnow

This same thread should be made for Sony. And iPhones. And Samsung phones. And LG TVs. And any brand that has any degree of fandom.

Arrogance is not a rare thing in the corporate world, and in tech sectors the fanboys make excuses for that arrogance.

What the fanboys should be doing is attempting to hold them to account, but that's not usually what happens. Innovation stagnates when people are willing to buy "faster horses", and then make excuses for the problems.
I said it a month and a half ago, I say it now.

Where are all those people in the first few pages of this thread now? Some of them are defending paid upgrades, unenhanced backwards compatibility and cross-gen. They're grumbling slightly at an increase in price and saying "thank God its not Gamepass."

That doesn't mean Sony will die. I don't buy the "arrogant Sony" meme. But if you don't hold your own favourites to account, don't be surprised when you start to lose out.

Top Bottom