• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Playstation or Xbox cannot contact an PSN/XBL activation server or equivalent, they will be bricks in the future (highly unlikely)

Allandor

And the articles are beginning...

Well, at least as last as they are backwards compatible and there is a new device, this shouldn't get a problem. But I would really want to see that they make every past xbox game compatible. Still so many old gems missing. But that is more or less "just" a licensing issue, not a technical one.

Bigger question I have is, what happens to all those "pseudo" online games like Destiny, Division, ... when servers get shut down? Never understood why you must play them with a server-connection if there are no real servers you play on. Always one persons console/PC is the host system

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
But why don't keep those storefronts up or implement them into the new storefront? It's not for the benefit of us the consumers!? I also can't imagine it cost a lot. Is it only because PSN for those consoles works for free and they want to migrate the userbase that are still on those consoles to newer ones where they can potentially sell a PS+ subscription? That's the only plausible reason I can think of.

Your analogy of that car maker is not a great one I think. Let me explain; The PS3 is the car, the games are the parts and without the storefront how can you ever order/buy them? You can go to the scrapyard/Gamestop I suppose and hope they have the part/game you were looking for? See, it's not that ideal.

We can't really understand fully what rent instead of buying. As from people I know that rent utility vehicles to Maersk and other massive companies, they seem like they don't wanna waste their time with maintenance, selling old stuff when they want new models, don't wanna deal with insurance etc. It costs more overall but it's sustainable by month-to-month basis or according to the deal. Also it can be a deal of "scratch my back, and I scratch yours" kinda deal, so I provide hardware for you then I use your service. Also let's not overestimate PSN, more than likely everything is stored safely at Sony and in Azure as well. So at worst scenario you'll have something like PS3 servers going down then redirecting to new servers.

They all keep offline data safe from hackers as well. And about car analogy no, games are more like riders/owners, but physical parts for the console to work is like car parts, that what I meant. Eventually you won't get any parts but you'll have third part provide them to you like old, classic cars.

ZywyPL

Banned
Difference is not really that "big". Just because there are "just" much more devices. Absolute numbers should still increase for all. Companies don't look at market percentages, they look at sales and $ to see if something is profitable.

Yeah, the PC market hasn't changed at all since the 90s, they still own that 95% of it, if not more. And by offering their software/services on Androind/iOS they effectively expanded their potential userbase to those 800M or whatever it is today, despite their failed attempt to join the mobile OS/phone markets back in the days. The company is worth 2 trillion dollars, they must be doing something right.

sn0man

Well this thread went from holy shit PlayStation 4 requires the internet to reset itself after cmos battery change. That’s online DRM, what the hell ...

to...

Let’s argue about who has the best infrastructure to support our DRM?!?!?

Who cares about Xbox DRM? It’s been know since 2013 the Xbox is a plastic portal to an online DRM server. It can’t even setup without an internet connection. Nobody was under any false assumptions and many, like myself, left the Xbox ecosystem because MS chose online required.

That has nothing to do with Sony hiding an online requirement in the PS4 for physical disc games. While Sony benefits from the marketing and image of preservation of gaming that MS abandoned.

The thread has become a fanboi pissing match and the only parties that truly benefit are the corporations that won’t be held accountable as the outrage will get lost.

If you went PlayStation during the PS4 generation, you should be mad. If you always go PlayStation no matter what, you should wake up. If you go Xbox, you shouldn’t be here, you don’t care about long-term access to your games.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well this thread went from holy shit PlayStation 4 requires the internet to reset itself after cmos battery change. That’s online DRM, what the hell ...

to...

Who cares about Xbox DRM? It’s been know since 2013 the Xbox is a plastic portal to an online DRM server. It can’t even setup without an internet connection. Nobody was under any false assumptions and many, like myself, left the Xbox ecosystem because MS chose online required.

That has nothing to do with Sony hiding an online requirement in the PS4 for physical disc games. While Sony benefits from the marketing and image of preservation of gaming that MS abandoned.

The thread has become a fanboi pissing match and the only parties that truly benefit are the corporations that won’t be held accountable as the outrage will get lost.

If you went PlayStation during the PS4 generation, you should be mad. If you always go PlayStation no matter what, you should wake up. If you go Xbox, you shouldn’t be here, you don’t care about long-term access to your games.

Honestly speaking, I have zero fucks for PS1-4 games on PS5. I think most gamers don't really care about BC anyway. If there is no PS5 game, I would rather stop playing until the next game that interests me.

But for those who care, yes it's not good.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But why don't keep those storefronts up or implement them into the new storefront? It's not for the benefit of us the consumers!? I also can't imagine it cost a lot. Is it only because PSN for those consoles works for free and they want to migrate the userbase that are still on those consoles to newer ones where they can potentially sell a PS+ subscription? That's the only plausible reason I can think of.

Your analogy of that car maker is not a great one I think. Let me explain; The PS3 is the car, the games are the parts and without the storefront how can you ever order/buy them? You can go to the scrapyard/Gamestop I suppose and hope they have the part/game you were looking for? See, it's not that ideal.
It's to get people moving to the new PS4/PS5 ecosystems.

I don't see how a giant corporation like Sony can't handle keeping around another storefront.

As you said (many have too like me), if maintaining a separate storefront is that hard or expensive, then just move all the content to the existing store. User Agent X even said not long ago, it did have all platforms on an app or something, but some reason got rid of legacy systems. So it can be done. They already did it at some point.

If Steam and GOG can handle listing 30 year old games across different website designs, I'm sure console makers can too.

And going by the giant number of games they have on their stores (google says Steam has 30,000?!?!), there's no way most of those games sell great. Yet, they still list them. I don't see how it's worth anyone's time to sell old copies of Civilization 1 on deal for $1.99, but it's still there.

I don't see Steam and GOG stating anytime they do a webstore re-design they cut off old games, or they only focus on newer pricier games because they don't want a cheapo to milk playing Age of Wonders from 20 years ago for $2 for the next 5 years.

Companies don't look at market percentages, they look at sales and $ to see if something is profitable.
They compare to the competition all the time to measure how good they are doing and what the potential market is.

Obviously the market penetration numbers need to be in proper context given the overall goals of the business and its needs.

Wizz-Art

We can't really understand fully what rent instead of buying. As from people I know that rent utility vehicles to Maersk and other massive companies, they seem like they don't wanna waste their time with maintenance, selling old stuff when they want new models, don't wanna deal with insurance etc. It costs more overall but it's sustainable by month-to-month basis or according to the deal. Also it can be a deal of "scratch my back, and I scratch yours" kinda deal, so I provide hardware for you then I use your service. Also let's not overestimate PSN, more than likely everything is stored safely at Sony and in Azure as well. So at worst scenario you'll have something like PS3 servers going down then redirecting to new servers.

They all keep offline data safe from hackers as well. And about car analogy no, games are more like riders/owners, but physical parts for the console to work is like car parts, that what I meant. Eventually you won't get any parts but you'll have third part provide them to you like old, classic cars.

Don't wanna sound rude or anything but are you replying to my message you quoted? Then you didn't give an answer to my first few questions in it.

Ah I see, about the car analogy, we interpret it differently because you can have many games but just usually 1 owner.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Has this been posted?

XboxGAF to you:

party-pooper.jpg

Three

AFAIK removing the CMOS battery will always wipe the BIOS settings. Even though it could be stored on non-volatile memory imagine if you ended up in a non-POSTable situation...how would you recover? The BIOS itself (and the embedded SLIC data for XP~7 / OEM key for 8+) are stored on the eeprom itself and removing the CMOS will not clear it unless something is VERY wrong, and if it did it wouldn't just wipe the SLIC, the whole BIOS would be nuked and the board turned into a paperweight.

Windows does still request activation with enough hardware changes, but it's a little more lenient than it used to be.
You would have bricked your hardware in that scenario I would imagine. It actually happens sometimes.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Don't wanna sound rude or anything but are you replying to my message you quoted? Then you didn't give an answer to my first few questions in it.

Ah I see, about the car analogy, we interpret it differently because you can have many games but just usually 1 owner.

Don't worry, we don't need to go further with this:

It's what I wanted all along dude, think!

We're cool, mate.

island love GIF by 9go

ethomaz

Banned

to...

The biggest take is that the issue is not how the OP claims.

You don’t need internet to play games you already own... you just replace the battery and shift to offline and you won’t get error anymore.

You don’t need Sony servers to play offline games on any PS console.

Last edited:
Incredibly silly to care about this.

Like in 20 years when your PS4 fails, you will be playing PS5 games on your PS9.

My stance is, don't expect the producers to be the archivers of media. If you want to be a collector, you have to adopt a collector's mindset. This includes maintenance of original hardware and software.

Wizz-Art

Don't worry, we don't need to go further with this:

We're cool, mate.

island love GIF by 9go
Yes that's a win for consumers, hope you see it that way!

That's why I feel that Sony fanatics defending anti-consumer practices should realize that if they make some noise, their favourite company can and will reverse stuff!

Yes that's a win for consumers, hope you see it that way!

That's why I feel that Sony fanatics defending anti-consumer practices should realize that if they make some noise, their favourite company can and will reverse stuff!
Win? I look at all those games and think "who would want to play this!?" /s

You don’t need internet to play games you already own... you just replace the battery and shift to offline and you won’t get error anymore.
That's not true. Disc based games work regardless of on / offline on PS5. On PS4 neither physical nor digital will work. Period.

As WingsOfRedemption once famously said "Look here! Look listen! Appearing offline does not fucking stop it!"

Mabdia

Okay when you feel the urge to find and play on your dusty ass PS3 when you're old and crippled, and MAYBE Sony has completely removed online connectivity

Just jailbreak the damn thing

Ahahahahaha... I'm alredy playing my Dusty Ass PS3 (Not so dusty... last week I opened it, cleaned it and changed the thermal paste (That one of cooler master nano something) (I'm even asking myself why people just hated so much God of War Ascension, amazing game), more than my relatively new shiny PS4 (also cleaned and changed the thermal paste). And on the second that I read something about the updates for my games being removed I've installed a jailbreak on it.

Lets uncancel days gone 2 next Jim ya?

Something that actually matters

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

Last edited:

sn0man

Has this been posted?

The take away is we shouldn’t go away or be dissuaded. Being vocal about the PS4s online DRM may yet bring a patch to fix it.
That's not true. Disc based games work regardless of on / offline on PS5. On PS4 neither physical nor digital will work. Period.

As WingsOfRedemption once famously said "Look here! Look listen! Appearing offline does not fucking stop it!"
I appreciate you trying but the goalposts will just move. Best to ignore the fanboys and organize ourselves. Lemme know if there is a petition or Twitter hashtag. This PS4 online DRM trash isn’t acceptable.

sn0man

Tepid optimism. Keep staying vocal. Sony should fix this and make physical games not need an online DRM check ever.

Mabdia

I appreciate you trying but the goalposts will just move. Best to ignore the fanboys and organize ourselves. Lemme know if there is a petition or Twitter hashtag. This PS4 online DRM trash isn’t acceptable.
I second that. If there is a petition for that, PM me and I'll be there.

Loxus

Hold up, I was under the impression that the battery was keeping the system clock set and if the battery dies and is replaced the time has to be reauthenticated server side.

There has been so much back and forth here I possibly got the wrong idea.
If that was the case, from the moment you first boot up the console for the first time it would of had the correct time and date.
You either enter the correct time manually or via internet.
Manually is for the people that don't have internet.

For the people that don't have internet, how would they authenticate their console in the first place if that was true?
Also, Sony allows you to update your console manually.
In fact the PS4 itself doesn't need any from of authentication to severs, the console is completely offline.

Loxus

Certainly not true for the PS4. Try it. Pull the battery out and (without having connected to the network) run a disc game - it errors out with a rather non-specific error and the game won't start. Once you connect the console to the network once it works again. Admittedly, this may not be designed behavior, but it is what actually happens. Don't know about the PS5 since I haven't got one yet.
Did you tried putting back in the battery without updating the time and date to see if the console is just built around having a need to have backup for time?

Kilau

If that was the case, from the moment you first boot up the console for the first time it would of had the correct time and date.
You either enter the correct time manually or via internet.
Manually is for the people that don't have internet.

For the people that don't have internet, how would they authenticate their console in the first place if that was true?
Also, Sony allows you to update your console manually.
In fact the PS4 itself doesn't need any from of authentication to severs, the console is completely offline.
The systems have two clocks. A user clock and an internal clock that isn’t user set. I assume the internal clock is set when the system is built and firmware installed so no activation is needed.

If you have ever messed with trophies that require like 100 days in a row and used the clock trick to save time, the actual trophy time stamp won’t be the false 100 days ahead but actually the time on the internal clock.

Anyway, folks are saying the issue doesn’t affect games being playable so none of this matters I guess.

Trimesh

Banned
Did you tried putting back in the battery without updating the time and date to see if the console is just built around having a need to have backup for time?

Yeah, it doesn't make any difference. Even if you put the battery back and accurately set the clock the games still won't start, although the clock will run.

Conversely, even if the battery is missing but you are connected to the network the games will start. If you then disconnect the network (but stay powered up) the games will still start. If you power down the system and then power it back up without a network it errors out. I did notice that if the battery was missing then the time defaulted to 01/01/1970 00:00Z - which makes a lot of sense since that's the Unix clock epoch and several people have said that PlayStation OS is partly based on BSD.

MadViking

I was bored and made a test. I put both XSX and PS4 Pro in offline mode, then installed a game which never ran on these consoles before. Playstation was able to run it offline, but Xbox not. So the PS solution with CMOS battery is not great but still much better than Xbox.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was bored and made a test. I put both XSX and PS4 Pro in offline mode, then installed a game which never ran on these consoles before. Playstation was able to run it offline, but Xbox not. So the PS solution with CMOS battery is not great but still much better than Xbox.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. DRM is clear on Xbox yet they getaway with it from the headlines.

Last edited:

Loxus

Yeah, it doesn't make any difference. Even if you put the battery back and accurately set the clock the games still won't start, although the clock will run.

Conversely, even if the battery is missing but you are connected to the network the games will start. If you then disconnect the network (but stay powered up) the games will still start. If you power down the system and then power it back up without a network it errors out. I did notice that if the battery was missing then the time defaulted to 01/01/1970 00:00Z - which makes a lot of sense since that's the Unix clock epoch and several people have said that PlayStation OS is partly based on BSD.
You know what, after reading this article: Unlike PS4, it looks like PS5 will at least play some physical games after its CMOS dies
I realized something, I realized this whole cbomb issue is just another console war fuel to add to the fire when it comes to PS5 vs XBSX.

Let me explain why.
The PS3 has the same issue with the cmos, it's 15 years old and the issue hasn't been a problem until now which suggestion it's just fuel for console warring.
Same for the PS4, which is 8 years old.

These batteries have a life span of 10 years, which means they will out live the console itself in most cases as the average life span for consoles is 5-6 years.
If the battery does die before your console which is like 10+, you can just take your console to a repair shop as they will have every thing needed to get it back up and running. Or maybe just buy a new console like we do with our TVs and just transfer the hard drive. The PS3 is going for $50 on eBay.
People acting like these console was to never break.

Now we talking about severs closing.
People really thinking Sony going to close down PSN. SMH
This whole cbomb thing is on the same level of the PS5 overheating articles.

Nothing about cbomb being a major issue dates back in the PS3 era. Everything dates to this month along side all the console war gamepass articles.
I don't know why we are bugging about an issue that didn't even plague the PS3 after 15 years.

sn0man

I realized this whole cbomb issue is just another console war fuel to add to the fire when it comes to PS5 vs XBSX.
I would argue that this not a normal console war thing for two reasons:

1.) Xbox sucks and always sucks since 2013 regarding offline play of physical games. (Digital games come from online so I see no reason to care about offline play there.) If you’re an Xbot, you already made peace with always online. In fact, Microsoft was smart to shift to gamepass. It’s like Netflix or Spotify. There is no deception or disappointment. It’s online subscription access to games.

2.) offline access to PS4 physical games was never behind any online DRM... or so we Ponies thought. Now we are finding out they have an online check in and that Sony is at the very least indifferent to that. I think us loyal Ponies should be upset about this. If Sony engineered this, they can unengineer it.

Many are saying the PS5 doesn’t have this kind of check in for PS4 physical media. I take that to mean there is a chance Sony didn’t mean for that to happen on PS4 consoles and it should be further evidence that this “flaw” is accidental and can be removed ASAP.

(I got a Switch and PC too, so maybe I’m not a Pony. I refused Xbox because of the DRM though. If Sony doesn’t fix this, then maybe I’ll reconsider my never-Xbox stance; gamepass does seem like a good way to rent games. My ultimate priority would be for these machines not to have the online check-in ever. I don’t think MS will ever change, but I hope Sony does.)

Loxus

I would argue that this not a normal console war thing for two reasons:

1.) Xbox sucks and always sucks since 2013 regarding offline play of physical games. (Digital games come from online so I see no reason to care about offline play there.) If you’re an Xbot, you already made peace with always online. In fact, Microsoft was smart to shift to gamepass. It’s like Netflix or Spotify. There is no deception or disappointment. It’s online subscription access to games.

2.) offline access to PS4 physical games was never behind any online DRM... or so we Ponies thought. Now we are finding out they have an online check in and that Sony is at the very least indifferent to that. I think us loyal Ponies should be upset about this. If Sony engineered this, they can unengineer it.

Many are saying the PS5 doesn’t have this kind of check in for PS4 physical media. I take that to mean there is a chance Sony didn’t mean for that to happen on PS4 consoles and it should be further evidence that this “flaw” is accidental and can be removed ASAP.

(I got a Switch and PC too, so maybe I’m not a Pony. I refused Xbox because of the DRM though. If Sony doesn’t fix this, then maybe I’ll reconsider my never-Xbox stance; gamepass does seem like a good way to rent games. My ultimate priority would be for these machines not to have the online check-in ever. I don’t think MS will ever change, but I hope Sony does.)
With internet access being more obtainable, it's much easier to do your own research.

HHW Gaming: This Looming Issue Has PS3 & PS4 Owners Extremely Worried
"So what is the issue exactly? Inside your PS3 and PS4 is a CMOS battery that helps your console keep up with the current time even when it’s powered off or unplugged. If that battery dies or happens to be removed, the console will an internal flag raised by the system’s firmware indicating it might be out of sync."

"To correct the issue, the system will check with PSN the next time to ensure the time is correct. On the PS3, this check is done when you play a game downloaded from the PlayStation Store. On the PS4, it happens when you play a game installed from the disc. This check has to be done at least once, even if the batter has been replaced, so the console confirms clock consistency."

"The timer check serves different purposes on both consoles. On the PS3, it’s done to enforce “time limits” that might have been placed on digital purchases. That same check is even required for downloads that don’t even have an expiration date adding a one-time online check-in requirement for consoles after the internal batteries fail."

"On the PS4, the timing check is used to ensure PSN trophy data is registered accurately, preventing players from pretending to acquire trophies earlier than they had."

"As of right now, this isn’t an issue, and most batteries CMOS battery in consoles average a 10- to 20-year lifespan, but if you happen to own an older PS3 model, time is slowly running out. It’s not an easy fix to do on your own, but Sony could remedy it with a firmware update."

Imagine Sony seeing this as an issue when the CMOS battery lifespan is well above the console's expected lifespan.
Imagine expecting an electronic device not to fail after 10+ years.
Imagine panicking about something that is fixable and may or may not happened to you within 10 years of owning the console.

sn0man

Imagine Sony seeing this as an issue when the CMOS battery lifespan is well above the console's expected lifespan.

They won’t if we don’t
Imagine expecting an electronic device not to fail after 10+ years.
Yeah. Don’t you expect electronic devices to live over 10 years? My 360 works great still. I’ve got a Trinitron that works fine. Do you not use anything from 2009 or earlier?
Imagine panicking about something that is fixable and may or may not happened to you within 10 years of owning the console.
Not panicking but insisting they keep up their end of the deal.

Loxus

They won’t if we don’t

Yeah. Don’t you expect electronic devices to live over 10 years? My 360 works great still. I’ve got a Trinitron that works fine. Do you not use anything from 2009 or earlier?

Not panicking but insisting they keep up their end of the deal.
So your 360 still have the warranty then?
Microsoft must care, so they gave you a lifetime warranty.

What deal? PS4 games has no DRM check-in.
nQwaY7u.jpg

By the time the battery dies,
Get the battery changed and sync the internal clock or buy a new console.
You people acting like your games are tied to the battery.

Man, this thread is really making me sour about being primarily pro-PS. I was hoping for once fanboys from both aisles would let their biases slide and make a reasonable appeal. I guess I was wrong.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

sn0man

Man, this thread is really making me sour about being primarily pro-PS. I was hoping for once fanboys from both aisles would let their biases slide and make a reasonable appeal. I guess I was wrong.

We should definitely come together and be against any DRM stuff. I do have a tiny hope that if Sony comes out to fix this that we can put a little pressure on Microsoft to consider the same.

ethomaz

Banned

I mean a thread created with a non issue on PS consoles? You just replace the battery, disable network to not get error and play all your owned physical and digital games (except the online components).

I understand to have a battery that will die is really a issue but luckily we can replace it.

Last edited:
I mean a thread created with a non issue on PS consoles? You just replace the battery, disable network to not get error and play all your owned physical and digital games (except the online components).

I understand to have a battery that will die is really a issue but luckily we can replace it.

Etho, I'm not going to explain the point you're missing. Either you're willfully ignoring the core issue or it just completely went over your head.

So, yeah, go on, the whole problem is centered around the battery, apparently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom