• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If BotW2 releases simultaneously with PS5/SeriesX, which will you prioritize?

If simultaneously released, which one would you prioritize to spend time with

• I only have interest in one of the two, so it's a non-issue for me

Votes: 40 13.2%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 122 40.4%
  • NextGen consoles

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
ucKkJaF.png

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Guys keep it civil and keep the shitposting to an acceptable degree. You're getting a permaban in my heart if you come in to this thread to say Nintendo games are for kids.

This thread idea comes from a conversation with @OutrageousFacts and it's interesting to know where the community stands with this one. Nintendo isn't launching a new hardware this year, so this year is about a continuation of the Switch experience. Meanwhile, Sony and MS are offering brand new exciting hardware which will fuel our gaming hobby for the next 5-7 years.

However, and this is the catch, launch window titles are traditionally not that great. So there's not that much of a rush for actual software. Let's be honest here, we know the BOTW sequel is going to be sheer quality and a must play. There won't be anything as good as BOTW 2 in the launch window of both the PS5 and the SEX. The same question could be pondered about TLOU2 launching alongside the Switch U if things were reversed.

So it's like holiday and BOTW2 and the PS5/SEX launches the exact same day, you go to the store and you look at them. The new hardware and the new software you wanted. Which one do you grab first? I know you're a big boy and you could grab both (please do not answer that), but even then, which one gets you more excited to spend solid hours with it?
I bought the Switch for my wife and BOTW as a starter game. I was impressed by how far they pushed to make that the great game it is. No plans to buy the next-generation consoles until 2030; definite vote for BotW 2 for my wife and I.

Only next gen game i've seen so far that grabs my attention is Ratchet and Clank and i'm not dropping new console money on one game. I can wait a year or two before picking up a PS5.

BoTW 2, easy choice.

Last edited:
Playing through BOTW on the Wii U at the moment, not seeing what's so special about it to be honest compared to previous Zelda games - so I'd probably go next gen over buying a Switch for BOTW2.

Outrageous is right here though. The idea that any launch window title is going to offer something fresher than BOTW2 (hurr durr because I played the first one!) is idiotic and ignores how bad launch window titles usually are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Outrageous is right here though. The idea that any launch window title is going to offer something fresher than BOTW2 (hurr durr because I played the first one!) is idiotic and ignores how bad launch window titles usually are.
Switch is for babies!

I actually agree with Kasual, but in all fairness I wasn't a massive fan of BOTW to begin with, so I'm actually more excited for something like AC Valhalla and Yakuza 7 than I am BOTW2. I'll still get it of course because I didn't hate the original and I buy every Zelda game, but it's definitely not something I would prioritize over the aforementioned games. Different strokes I suppose

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What makes BoTW 2 fresh? I did not enjoy the first one so how is the second one gonna be any different? Not that I disagree with you on the launch lineup being a bunch of meh multi port yearly shits or anything. But at the same time I can see how some people aren't excited for it after playing the first one.

Switch is for babies!

That's it, I'm invoking the supreme NintendoGAF council.

What makes BoTW 2 fresh? I did not enjoy the first one so how is the second one gonna be any different? Not that I disagree with you on the launch lineup being a bunch of meh multi port yearly shits or anything. But at the same time I can see how some people aren't excited for it after playing the first one.

Well, opinions and shit. If you liked the first one and you look at the overall consistency of excellence that is the Zelda series, it isn't hard to see how that game could beat out an average launch window title. Killzone Shadow Fall is the average launch title window.

But the key thing here is that you shouldn't assume you won't like the second one because you didn't like the first. We don't know anything about the game yet, it may not be an iterative sequel.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's it, I'm invoking the supreme NintendoGAF council.

Well, opinions and shit. If you liked the first one and you look at the overall consistency of excellence that is the Zelda series, it isn't hard to see how that game could beat out an average launch window title. Killzone Shadow Fall is the average launch title window.

But the key thing here is that you shouldn't assume you won't like the second one because you didn't like the first. We don't know anything about the game yet, it may not be an iterative sequel.
That's the thing. You claimed BoTW 2 was going to be fresh, so I assumed you had something here. BoTW was my least favorite Zelda game to date because it felt too similar to Ubisoft/TES games rather than a Zelda game. Fuck Ubisoft.

That's the thing. You claimed BoTW 2 was going to be fresh, so I assumed you had something here. BoTW was my least favorite Zelda game to date because it felt too similar to Ubisoft/TES games rather than a Zelda game. Fuck Ubisoft.

To be fair, I claimed it would be fresher than Killzone Shadow Fall or Call of Duty Ghosts lol.

Portman

At the moment I'd go for the new consoles over BotW2 if they release simultaneously.

When it and the Switch launched I was more hyped up for Horizon Zero Dawn so I never did anything more than goof-off testing out BotW and then I shelved it. Finally dug it out last summer and while I enjoyed the "Zelda feel" with the music, areas, lore etc. the difficulty was a big turn off to me and after playing a while to get upgrades when I tried to final area it felt impossible so I gave up somewhat disappointed with the game.

HF2014

BoTW2. No doubt it will be as amazing as the first. There is a few games on PS5 that look interesting, really loving DeS remake and a few others, but BoTW 2 is the game i want more.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
There would need themed dungeons and the usual plethora of item and charming NPC for me to be interested in Botw2.

Zelda world always felt like a big twisted, dark and happy carnival but Botw just feels so different :/

Andodalf

Banned
never

I'm not 5 anymore

Me, the day I turned 5 and 1/2

OT id be down to wait a bit for Zelda. I k ow the new consoles would distract me, and that’s a game I want to be 100% in. I’d wait till the classic new console drought next spring

Last edited:

yurinka

I think BotW2 won't be released on 2020.

And even if it does, I'm not sure if I'll buy the PS5 day one. Will depend on the launch games, its price and if I have enough money. But if I can I'd get both when released.

Last edited:

Lethal01

This generation of consoles seems to be the gen I've been waiting for since the ps2. Since games started aiming for realism causing them to do nothing but distract me with how unrealistic the lighting and models look. It's still far from perfect but now I don't have to live in a world where something as ugly as the last of us is seen as astonishingly real.
Haven't been more excited for a new console launch in over a decade.

That said, HAVE YOU SEEN THE GERUDOS ABS???
HAVE YOU SEEN LINK IN A DRESS???

BOTW2
day 1 gg ez, It's art is still more appealing to me than Horizon II FW and I'm sure it will be more fun than anything at launch.
I may play PS5 first just so that I can play BoTW2 with no distractions.

Last edited:

Woopah

BOTW2 easily. I'm in no rush for a new gen so I'll wait for prices to come down and more games to come out.

FStubbs

I'll prioritize the $60 game over the $500+ console that has no games I want to play at launch and that I'd have to stand in a line to preorder.

Collin

Banned
i have fears about botw2 if we’re being real, and i say that as both a huge zelda fan and as a decent fan of botw.

i fear it’ll just feel like an extended dlc with roughly the same map and same towns and same repetitive shrines to solve. I’m not saying it’ll suck, i’m sure it’ll pass the time just fine, but a cash grab sequel isn’t as exciting to me as next gen ps5.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
I loved BOTW, wish I could play it again for the first time, but the sequel would definitely take a back seat to the consoles.
Must have shiny new boxes.

Wunray

i have fears about botw2 if we’re being real, and i say that as both a huge zelda fan and as a decent fan of botw.

i fear it’ll just feel like an extended dlc with roughly the same map and same towns and same repetitive shrines to solve. I’m not saying it’ll suck, i’m sure it’ll pass the time just fine, but a cash grab sequel isn’t as exciting to me as next gen ps5.
How do you feel about Majora's mask? Cause tbh I feel the sequel is shaping up to be like that with similar development time too.

Doom85

New consoles will have precisely zero good games at launch. The choice is pretty clear.

-BOTW was a launch title, so not good according to Velius if they say new consoles have precisely zero good games at launch, so it's reasonable to assume Velius wouldn't be interested in a follow-up to a game that wasn't good
-Velius won't be interested in PS5/Series X on launch again due to no good games according to how they Velius looks at it
-Velius says the choice is clear

giphy.gif

Collin

Banned
How do you feel about Majora's mask? Cause tbh I feel the sequel is shaping up to be like that with similar development time too.

bruh i fucking love Majoras Mask. Top 3 Zelda. If they take the gameplay risks that MM did then fuck yes. But i fear they may take the safe route.

but to your point, we don’t know enough about botw2 to really fairly judge it but the interviews saying that it was originally started as a dlc worried me a bit. If i get the sense that they’re going for some weird ambitious shit then botw2 will exceed my ps5 hype.

Last edited:

Wunray

bruh i fucking love Majoras Mask. Top 3 Zelda. If they take the gameplay risks that MM did then fuck yes. But i fear they may take the safe route.

but to your point, we don’t know enough about botw2 to really fairly judge it but the interviews saying that it was originally started as a dlc worried me a bit. If i get the sense that they’re going for some weird ambitious shit then botw2 will exceed my ps5 hype.
Well the only real piece of info we have is in an interview last year Eiji Aonuma said the game will be darker than major's mask.

killatopak

Love Zelda. Hate botw.

If the game still has systems that I consider fundamentally flawed, I don’t think it will ever be a priority for me.

PS5 is kinda up there but it really depends on the price, games at launch and the features for BC before I actually jump in.

Megatron

Zelda. I’m not totally convinced I will buy the new consoles at launch anyway. Zelda would make that idea even easier.

Nothing of next gen I've seen has convinced me I want a new console, or that I need to upgrade my PC so I'll go with Zelda. £40 vs £400.

Eanox

Lol. This post is very very ironic coming from you OP.
To be fair, I claimed it would be fresher than Killzone Shadow Fall or Call of Duty Ghosts lol.
You really need to check your information. We already have the information available and you are still comparing it to launch window of PS4. 🤦‍♂️
Will Killzone be a launch title for PS5?

Confirmed launch titles for PS5.
Spider-Man:Miles Morales.
Kena:Bridge of Spirit
Godfall
Assassin’s creed Valhalla.
Deathloop
Astro’s playroom which is embedded on PS5.

and we still don’t know the official launch title for it.

Lol. This post is very very ironic coming from you OP.

I'm not going to be insulted, but I'm going to help you interpret what I said because we're friends and because I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean to say there won't be any launch window title that's potentially better than BOTW2 (although that is an unlikely bet), I said that the idea that any random title is going to offer a "newer" experience is stupid. And it is. If you think ALL OF the launch titles on the PS5 will have a more unique gameplay than BOTW2 simply because it's on new hardware, you need to rethink things.

Eanox

I'm not going to be insulted, but I'm going to help you interpret what I said because we're friends and because I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean to say there won't be any launch window title that's potentially better than BOTW2 (although that is an unlikely bet), I said that the idea that any random title is going to offer a "newer" experience is stupid. And it is. If you think ALL OF the launch titles on the PS5 will have a more unique gameplay than BOTW2 simply because it's on new hardware, you need to rethink things.
Lol. My post was not meant to insult you but more of telling you what I have notice.

Anyway, can you please enlighten me which random games are you referring to? There’s nothing random with Spider-Man that’s a big launch title for Sony. Having Spider-man alone just kills your argument that PS5 launch titles will be shitty. We have Kena which is a new experience. You rarely see that art style and a that is a launch title.

What new experience will BOTW 2 will bring us? Can you please tell us more about it? Because you are talking a lot of what ifs for BOTW while ignoring fact right in front of you.

DrAspirino

Banned
I didn't play BOTW yet and I do have a Switch. Is BOTW better than Assassin Creed Odyssey ?
Oh boy... you're in for a treat!!! Just play it. It's well worth your time and money.

As a guy who has played easily over 200+ hours of BotW, I'd pick BotW 2 the same f*cking day it releases!, no questions asked. After playing it a lot, THEN I'd look for an XSX or PS5 depending on price and games.

Last edited:

cireza

Should have put a "both" option.

I will buy Series X, BotW2 can wait. I will without a doubt play the game though, even if I have mixed feelings towards the first game, it is still the kind of game I enjoy the most.

Last edited:
Anyway, can you please enlighten me which random games are you referring to? There’s nothing random with Spider-Man that’s a big launch title for Sony. Having Spider-man alone just kills your argument that PS5 launch titles will be shitty. We have Kena which is a new experience. You rarely see that art style and a that is a launch title.

What new experience will BOTW 2 will bring us? Can you please tell us more about it? Because you are talking a lot of what ifs for BOTW while ignoring fact right in front of you.

I was replying to the notion that any first party launch window title is going to be better or more innovative than BOTW2. That includes the Spider-Man expansion. When I say better, I mean more critically acclaimed and overall more revered by the community. Like TLOU2 is right now, the same argument would apply to a new Nintendo hardware and TLOU2 launching alongside it.

Think about it in practical terms, for the sake of being objective let's use Metacritic. Look at the list you produced there, let's assume those are the launch window titles. If you're a betting man, what is more likely to have a higher metascore, BOTW2 or any of those games? BOTW 2 or ALL of those games?

Zelda is a standard of excellence in the industry, BOTW is a highlight of the generation if you don't want to be hyperbolic. You need me to explain what kind of experience we can expect?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Oh boy... you're in for a treat!!! Just play it. It's well worth your time and money.

As a guy who has played easily over 200+ hours of BotW, I'd pick BotW 2 the same f*cking day it releases!, no questions asked. After playing it a lot, THEN I'd look for an XSX or PS5 depending on price and games.
Thanks . With the last of us 1 and 2 to play and Assassin Creed Odyssey to finish first BOTW will have to wait a little . I am also interested in hardspace shipbreaker . But BOTW will probably be mine sooner or later .

#Phonepunk#

Banned
BOTW2

if we knew any of the launch games for the next gen systems I maybe would reconsider. but so far it doesn’t look like there will be anything to play, let alone anything on the level of the first BOTW

Top Bottom