• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I'm transitioning into my "old man" stage of gaming.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nah, there's no old man stage of gaming. Sometimes, you just want some variety, but I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with age. I used to be huge into fighting games, but then my interest disappeared right around the time SF4 came out. There's still the occasional game that interests me, but I realized I just didn't like the direction the genre was headed at that point. And that's fine.

I wouldn't worry about losing your touch with more hardcore games, either. I was in Japan about a year ago and stopped by an arcade. There was this dude who was probably in his late 50s or early 60s who was absolutely crushing Battle Garegga. He was a goddamn surgeon with it, and had a whole crowd standing around the machine watching him play. So if that's a thing, I think you'll be fine.

SonicJams

I'm gonna get smashed for this, but this is why I wanted an additional boss checkpoint option mode for dark souls. i love the combat, game etc, but dont want to run all the way to the boss to learn its attack patterns. I just want to spawn outside of it and not repeat areas already completed. At 35 also, time and patience is limited but i still get great enjoyment out of games, I just prefer they're forgiving without retreading or grinding.

Id also love the return of A or AA games based on simple combat (light rpg elements), platformers and dreamcasty arcade style games, for their simpler yet engaging gameplay.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

as we growing up we end up got much less time. not only less time to play, but less patient and tolerant too due too.

multiplayer or game that required dedicated effort to spend time with others players online(like MMO) become harder to get occupied. then game with shit control? nah i quit.

also before i notice i tend to try and play almost all new game that coming out within my preferences. tried to finish them all too. but now, i notice i only select few game i really want to play thats all. backlog is increasing sadly. but not gonna waste anytime to things i not gonna enjoy or within my personal quirk preferences. not to mention the effect of playing games for decades, with game design end up become stale we can guess what kind of gameplay or experience we gonna get by merely looking at either video gameplay or just play for a few minutes. get boring easily. typical play abit and already seen it all.

another thing i notice when we growing older is, our imagination is easily getting bored. unlike when we was kid, our imagination can run wild even for smallest things. even 16bit game can be very very fun. but now, when our imagination is 'less', more logic due to maturity and perhaps some knowledge we learn about game development hindered lot of fun despite we got game with bigger world, mechanics, better visual for example.

personally it is important to has a game that we can call out comfort zone. be it old or new game. so when we has a need or has itching to play, we can always comeback and has a moment of guaranteed escapism for ourself temporarily.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
alls you need is bong torks and it turns your brains back to childrenhood funfactor

weed.gif

TheStam

At 43 I probably do about as much gaming as I ever did. I played very little in my 20s but came back at 33 when I bought a gaming laptop. Maybe that break was good as I rediscovered the love I had for the medium and I've kept at it for the last 10 years. The last few years I don't do so much online gaming except for some Rocket League and the odd round of Battlefield, but I still love big RPGs. Currently playing Yakuza Like a Dragon which I really enjoy. For once there's a JRPG centered around middle aged people (and the challenges of adulthood, success / lack there of) which I honestly really appreciate. I feel like a weirdo sometime playing as a 17 year old main character where the battle hardened vets you meet are like 24. Indies are cool, but I don't see them as some form of answer to aging. I prefer bigger games that I can lose myself in a bit and escape the stress of work / everyday life. I really appreciate a good story and world building in games as well and don't care about game mechanics as much now unless it's tactical gameplay. The games that have given me the most joy during the last year are Cyberpunk 2077+Phantom Liberty, BG3, Nier Automata and now Yakuza Like a Dragon.

The thing that has me a bit surprised is that I used to love strategy games and stuff like Paradox titles, which seems to be something that would resonate as you get older but I never play them. I would like to get into Crusader Kings 3, but I can't find the patience for it anymore.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Feel like I’m in a good place now when it comes to gaming.

I usually only play on the weekends and during other off days. Clearing up my backlog made me realise that I don’t even like as many genres as I used to think I do. Ditched most of the difficult games aside from the occasional Souls game here and there. I simply came to the conclusion that the endless frustration of beating a difficult passage is just not worth the short pleasure I get when I make it.

Ditched trophy hunting for large parts as well and only still do it when it’s not too difficult and/or doesn’t take too much time.

Online MP I haven’t been playing for years. I just don’t see the point in it. Don’t even care about if I’m better than anyone in anything irl, so why should I online?

So what I usually do is start a new game, finish it. Check the trophies? Easy? Get Platinum. Hard? Hide it. More to next interesting game that was released. If nothing new is there I check the sales. Nothing there, I replay some older game (usually one of the RE titles).

And in between I play one of my long term RPGs - Elden Ring, Cyberpunk and BG3.

That’s it, no backlog, no stress, just chilled gaming.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
35 here and I’m mostly just into Square Enix JRPGs, Tales games, and old games I’ve played before.

I’m starting to feel like Atlus games aren’t must buys for me anymore, though let’s see with SMTVI. I am skipping Persona 3 Reload tho.

Kindela

Banned
I'm gonna get smashed for this, but this is why I wanted an additional boss checkpoint option mode for dark souls. i love the combat, game etc, but dont want to run all the way to the boss to learn its attack patterns. I just want to spawn outside of it and not repeat areas already completed. At 35 also, time and patience is limited but i still get great enjoyment out of games, I just prefer they're forgiving without retreading or grinding.
My favourite Souls bosses are the ones I beat on the first try usually. That's why Elden Ring is my favourite of the lot, it has a lot of other things to offer other than boss fights.

foamdino

My reflexes gave up long ago. I play games I enjoy in many different genres, including turn-based rpgs, strategy games etc. I can respect From Soft games but fuck them for not including difficulty options - I'll never play through them, I'll happily play Path of Exile on solo-self-found hardcore (== 1 death and game over) but a game that requires frame-perfect parries/dodges and actively wastes my time - nope.

Anything online with other people - cannot do due to life/family, so I love watching Dota2 but cannot queue up for a match.

Boozeroony

As a 39 year old, I notice that my priorities shifted away from gaming. I start to feel dizzy and numb after more that 2 hours of single-player gaming.

I just can't justify the time investment of these 40+ hour games anymore. I did finish BG3 though and still enjoy RPGs. I do miss the early WoW times in which I wasted too much time raiding instead of preparing for exams.

Well this thread title was a wake-up call.

Guess I'm in this stage. Hell I even talk about the olden days of gaming with my son.

"We never had loadtimes when I was a kid"
"Back in the day you'd buy a game, slap it in the console and PLAY. No updates or other shit"

Kinda like Bain to Batman: "

“Ah you think gaming is your ally? You merely adopted gaming. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see an update notice until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!”​

Id also love the return of A or AA games based on simple combat (light rpg elements), platformers and dreamcasty arcade style games, for their simpler yet engaging gameplay.
Elden Ring fixed this mostly, you respawn near most of the important bosses, with some exceptions. Even in the open world, there are small broken statues that serve as respawn points for optional, hard bosses.

zenspider

Shmups and system heavy JRPGs. This is the conclusion proper thinking 40+ year olds arrive at. Welcome brother.

Right now I’m playing Andro Dunos 2 and Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi… there’s like >5% fat in my gaming diet.

zenspider

I was almost 33 when I first started playing souls games back in 2017. Late to the party, I know.
I do struggle with hyperfast shmups and fighting games, but I definitly did that when I was a kid/teenager as well.
I'll probably curse the harder fromsoft bosses to hell and scream at the monitor when i'm a (very) old fart too😅
I found the player’s curve for shmups is very similar to Souls… the games slow down as you learn the patterns and find your route through. Challenges are moved from reaction to memory to intuition.
Fighting games I found got way too hard the older I got because the challenge is set by other players — mostly because younger people with more free time get so good so fast from haunting Discord, Twitter, YT, etc., plus my mental stack is withering… Fantasy Strike is about the level of fighter I have the bandwith for lol.
Shmups, souls, etc., favor the wise tortoise not the impetuous hare:) Open
world games are for young people with plenty of time to waste.

Last edited:

zenspider

Putting the time to 1cc shumps, is not old man stage of gaming.
It totally is.
pai-mei-kill-bill.gif

Real talk I do see a lot more young people getting into it, so it’s not like some old folk’s home, but I think it’s a kind of conclusion that comes with experience and knowing “progress” is a bedtime story.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
JRPGs are gonna be tbe ultimate retirement home genre for sure in 30 years. Just a buncha old dudes grinding levels and going on massive journeys.

Kenpachii

Same here, moved from shooters hardcore mmo's, towards rts games and shit like hogwarts / odyssey.

Fast reaction time games or competitive games no thanks.

Last edited:
Same here, moved from shooters hardcore mmo's, towards rts games and shit like hogwarts / odyssey.

Fast reaction time games or competitive games no thanks.
Funny thing this. I'm only getting better and better at BF or CoD and I've been playing them since their first iterations.

I'm 44 now and the small backpains are more and more frequent. But online I seem more fit and fast then the teenagers on there.

Still very satisfying hearing kids cuss, scream and accuse me of cheating.

But a lot of games that were released in the past 15 years gave me the "I've seen it all" feeling. Being an older gamer I've seen all franchises and innovations and they became stale to non-existant in the past years to me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Funny thing this. I'm only getting better and better at BF or CoD and I've been playing them since their first iterations.

I'm 44 now and the small backpains are more and more frequent. But online I seem more fit and fast then the teenagers on there.

But a lot of games that were released in the past 15 years gave me the "I've seen it all" feeling. Being an older gamer I've seen all franchises and innovations and they became stale to non-existant in the past years to me.
Basically this
better, faster, stronger.
If I was good at 20 years ago, I'm better now
I actively taunt people online in Street Fighter just so I can punish them for their mistakes

My only nemesis is time.

Last edited:
Basically this
better, faster, stronger.
If I was good at 20 years ago, I'm better now
I actively taunt people online in Street Fighter just so I can punish them for their mistakes

My only nemesis is time.
I do the same with CoD. Basically running around having fun, finishing off apponents with a finishing move while the bullets fly.

Its so damn satisfying.

https://medal.tv/games/call-of-duty...d1337Ji00JKF?invite=cr-MSxOU2UsMTY0MDk3NTEwLA

Example of me having fun and humiliating dem kidz with a nutshot as round winning kill. In glorious slo-mo at the end. :D I laughed so hard that the guy went on to send me death threats etc. Oh how I have hit a nerve.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: TGO

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm almost 35 and have been playing games for 30 of those straight. No breaks really (probably a mistake during college), just consistently playing for three decades. For the vast majority of that time, I've enjoyed very fast paced and/or difficult games. The last decade plus has been dominated by Souls games and fighting games.

But something changed. 2023 was a very difficult year for me and now that the dust has settled, I think I've come to the conclusion that between all my responsibilities and endeavors, I simply don't have the mental energy for these more difficult games.

I'm starting to seek more chill games. Mostly JRPGs and platformers. Still have a bunch of shmups I'm sprinkling in (I really need to do a 1CC this year), but what's great about these is they're short and you can really get your arms around them.

I'm really working on my health this year, so maybe my increased energy will affect my outlook, but that remains to be seen.

Have you ever gone through a big change in game taste?

Joe Biden Hello GIF by The Democrats

Nice to see another 35+ guy join the team! LOL!!! It's normal, just know that. You'll come around and start playing more difficult games again, but do it at your own pace. Sometimes I take 3 months off and only play chill VR games or indie platformers.

Main gripe as I get a little older: Buttons: Don’t get me started on buttons. I mean how many do with need? Back in the day it was 1 stick/1 button. That’s all we needed until the NES tried to convince us we needed 2, and then it just spiralled out of control.

Buttons = complexity, and complexity needs perseverance, which in turn needs patience. Which I have less and less of the older I get and become more attuned to the passing of time.

So these days I tend to err towards something a little simpler, something you can invest as little or as much time in as you please. Games which require at least a couple of hours on to get some form of gaming gratification from is just not for me any more – jump in, have a quick ding dong, then bow out before I shit myself tends to be the go these days.

Last edited:
A hobby is inherently about “spending time”. Why does it matter if you spend a week playing one long game, or two shorter games? Truly, the game(s) are either worth your time, or they aren’t?
I think to me is because playing JRPGs in chunks of 20 min per day, or 20 min every three days make it not so enjoyable as I either will be already disconnected on what's going on on the story, or the progress I am able to make is so low that defeats the purpose of leveling up or making characters more powerful. Comparing that to, let's say, doing a full run of Hades or as I mentioned on my original post, a complete game of Dota 2 on turbo, then I can get more enjoyable moment.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm 23. I wonder how many years I have left to be able to keep up with the sweatlords in online fighting games.

I can't speak for anyone else, but me "aging out" of fighting games isn't about my physiology, but rather my increasing responsibilities which just so happen to correlate with my age.

I have felt zero difference in my reaction time or skill. If anything, I'm better than ever (though I've dropped off considerably lately)

Humdinger

62 here. I didn't even get into gaming until I was about 40, so I have a weird trajectory. I really enjoyed FPS, online MP, and action-packed games for the first couple years, but then I grew tired of all of that -- it felt repetitive and pointless. It also felt like a waste of energy -- why was I making myself tense over this stuff, when I had plenty in my life to stress over already? I also found the characters and story in most games to be terrible, adolescent and shallow (part of that may be the fact that I came to games at a late age, and I've always been a big reader).

I gravitated to WRPGs and action-adventure games, and that's still what I typically enjoy. However, I don't play nearly as much as I did 7 or 8 years ago. I don't find games as entertaining or fun as they used to be. Part of that is me, and part of it is gaming.

I never had any interest in games that "challenge" you, like the Souls games. Just not my thing. I want to use gaming to relax and have fun, not to be "tested." I recognize that some challenge is necessary for a game to be fun, but I've no interest in games that specialize in that sort of thing.

And yeah, 35 is not "old man stage." Talk to me when you crack 60. :messenger_winking:

_Ex_

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

I have been playing video games consistently for over forty years now. I have seen some things over the decades. The '90s were the apex of this medium; going from NES to Dreamcast in one decade. Can you imagine that? These days a single static console cycle lasts ten years. Anyway, here's my top 5 pieces of "old man" gamer advice:

1. Don't lower the difficulty. If that game's too hard now on Normal difficulty (the intended base challenge) so much so that you are considering lowering the difficulty or cheating... NO. Just play something else. Come back when you have the evolved skill set, energy, and personal determination to beat said challenging game on at least Normal. If this seems silly now, it won't when you actually do it. People who don't value legitimately difficult games are people who have never beaten one. There's only one way to enlighten that perspective. Overcoming any adversity, no matter how trivial, builds character, self-reliance, and personal esteem. Three traits well worth nurturing at any given opportunity, including by beating difficult video games.

2. Variety is the spice of gaming. If you are getting bored with games, it's likely because you have over-indulged in one or two particular genres. You might love cinematic action-adventure games, but if that's all you ever play, then the genre will become blasé for you. There are SO many different genres in this medium. Try playing games in genres you don't normally play, and remember to mix up your platforms. You may have some natural aversion to a new genre, just because it's different, yeah some genres are acquired tastes. Doesn't mean you won't love that taste after acquiring it. Personally after I beat a game, I tend to go for a different genre and different platform for my next one. Consistent variety will keep things interesting.

3. Moderation is mandatory. Given I have been playing video games for this long, it's clear that I love this hobby. But I have never over-indulged in it, to the detriment of my real life, or other hobbies. I know a few gamers who only have ONE hobby... yeah, video gaming. I can tell you their personal lives are not great. It's a dark life to live, that ultimately ends in unhappiness. You've got to have other hobbies besides just video games. (I especially recommend having hobbies that get you off your ass and moving around outside, as well as creative hobbies.) And it's not just about encouraging yourself to indulge in other hobbies, but also about moderating your play time. I tend to limit myself to 2 hours max gaming a day, and not every day either.

4. It's okay to wait. I understand the allure of new gaming technology. Hell this forum is especially biased towards playing the "latest and greatest". However, that is the absolute least cost effective way to enjoy this medium. If you are buying the newest consoles and the newest games, as they are releasing, well you are paying more than your fair share. Most video games tend to depreciate in value very quickly. And the longer you wait into a console's life cycle, the less expensive said console becomes, and typically technically-better revisions of that console become available. And with modern games, waiting to buy them a year or two, means you get a discounted game, that has its final patch version available, and likely all the DLC it's every going to have. For many generations now, I have waited until the tail-end to jump in for these reasons. Yeah I might be playing games that are "old" (merely a few years) but I'm reaping hella discounts. From my perspective, the Cult of the New is a silly expensive club to be in.

5. Newer is not always better. The video game medium has always been driven by technological advancement, and thus is especially prone to the appeal to novelty fallacy. I'm mainly talking to the younger players here, who grew up in the seventh generation. There are some seriously amazing games from the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth generations, that do still hold up today in the GAMEPLAY department. Sure the graphics might be cruddy from your perspective, but here's the thing about graphics. Once you start engaging with a game, it doesn't take long before you acclimate to its graphics, good or bad. The graphics just melt away into the background of your mental focus. What happens is you become primarily engaged with the gameplay. Graphics are just pixel icing on gameplay cake. There are some delicious cakes in the yesteryears of this medium, even if their icing is technically stale. I'm telling you, if you avoid prior-gen games simply because they are prior-gen, you are depriving yourself of 90% of this medium.

zenspider

Trigger warning: sports analogy.

You see a lot of defenseman in the NHL make it into their late 30’s and even into their 40’s. The ones that do say the opposite of the rookies entering the NHL— the game slows down. They rely on their knowledge to rely less on strength, speed, and reflexes, and do more things to control the pace of the game — at least until the hardware can’t keep up.

zenspider

I can't speak for anyone else, but me "aging out" of fighting games isn't about my physiology, but rather my increasing responsibilities which just so happen to correlate with my age.

I have felt zero difference in my reaction time or skill. If anything, I'm better than ever (though I've dropped off considerably lately)
Yeah, I think the speed of the modern fighting games has more to do with how fast tech gets shared and top players grinding on stream... the meta changes before I learn my character's normals lol. I also think the tech getting laggier is something I confused with aging. I play on a CRT with zero to minimal lag in the chain and it's like I'm on those human growth hormone treatments.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I feel ya only got a few toes left in the gaming swimming pool at this point. If I didn’t like destiny and used my pc for other stuff I think I would be done. Haven’t finished a single triple a Sony game this gen, those used to be my rocks….

zenspider

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

I have been playing video games consistently for over forty years now. I have seen some things over the decades. The '90s were the apex of this medium; going from NES to Dreamcast in one decade. Can you imagine that? These days a single static console cycle lasts ten years. Anyway, here's my top 5 pieces of "old man" gamer advice:

1. Don't lower the difficulty. If that game's too hard now on Normal difficulty (the intended base challenge) so much so that you are considering lowering the difficulty or cheating... NO. Just play something else. Come back when you have the evolved skill set, energy, and personal determination to beat said challenging game on at least Normal. If this seems silly now, it won't when you actually do it. People who don't value legitimately difficult games are people who have never beaten one. There's only one way to enlighten that perspective. Overcoming any adversity, no matter how trivial, builds character, self-reliance, and personal esteem. Three traits well worth nurturing at any given opportunity, including by beating difficult video games.

2. Variety is the spice of gaming. If you are getting bored with games, it's likely because you have over-indulged in one or two particular genres. You might love cinematic action-adventure games, but if that's all you ever play, then the genre will become blasé for you. There are SO many different genres in this medium. Try playing games in genres you don't normally play, and remember to mix up your platforms. You may have some natural aversion to a new genre, just because it's different, yeah some genres are acquired tastes. Doesn't mean you won't love that taste after acquiring it. Personally after I beat a game, I tend to go for a different genre and different platform for my next one. Consistent variety will keep things interesting.

3. Moderation is mandatory. Given I have been playing video games for this long, it's clear that I love this hobby. But I have never over-indulged in it, to the detriment of my real life, or other hobbies. I know a few gamers who only have ONE hobby... yeah, video gaming. I can tell you their personal lives are not great. It's a dark life to live, that ultimately ends in unhappiness. You've got to have other hobbies besides just video games. (I especially recommend having hobbies that get you off your ass and moving around outside, as well as creative hobbies.) And it's not just about encouraging yourself to indulge in other hobbies, but also about moderating your play time. I tend to limit myself to 2 hours max gaming a day, and not every day either.

4. It's okay to wait. I understand the allure of new gaming technology. Hell this forum is especially biased towards playing the "latest and greatest". However, that is the absolute least cost effective way to enjoy this medium. If you are buying the newest consoles and the newest games, as they are releasing, well you are paying more than your fair share. Most video games tend to depreciate in value very quickly. And the longer you wait into a console's life cycle, the less expensive said console becomes, and typically technically-better revisions of that console become available. And with modern games, waiting to buy them a year or two, means you get a discounted game, that has its final patch version available, and likely all the DLC it's every going to have. For many generations now, I have waited until the tail-end to jump in for these reasons. Yeah I might be playing games that are "old" (merely a few years) but I'm reaping hella discounts. From my perspective, the Cult of the New is a silly expensive club to be in.

5. Newer is not always better. The video game medium has always been driven by technological advancement, and thus is especially prone to the appeal to novelty fallacy. I'm mainly talking to the younger players here, who grew up in the seventh generation. There are some seriously amazing games from the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth generations, that do still hold up today in the GAMEPLAY department. Sure the graphics might be cruddy from your perspective, but here's the thing about graphics. Once you start engaging with a game, it doesn't take long before you acclimate to its graphics, good or bad. The graphics just melt away into the background of your mental focus. What happens is you become primarily engaged with the gameplay. Graphics are just pixel icing on gameplay cake. There are some delicious cakes in the yesteryears of this medium, even if their icing is technically stale. I'm telling you, if you avoid prior-gen games simply because they are prior-gen, you are depriving yourself of 90% of this medium.
ALL THE ICONS! Thoughtful, Heart, Strength, and Praise the Sun!!!

The only place I would disagree (in effect, not intent) with is under 3. Moderation is Mandatory. I think that getting deep into the hobby can expand what you're actually doing with your time besides playing. For example, there's tons of people making great video content -- (more entertaining than most film and TV these days too), you can make your own content to share, or even just a personal diary or goal tracking; I've gotten into arcade and retro games a lot in the last year so I'm modding sticks and old systems -- now I'm starting to get interested soldering, electronics, and woodworking.
I think it depends on your type of gaming (and your habits), but I imagine all good games will all allow for some extra-curricular interest and expanding activities, if even it's something like learning to draw the characters, writing fanfic (please don't), or learning deflemask to make some cool chiptune arrangements of songs.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I do the same with CoD. Basically running around having fun, finishing off apponents with a finishing move while the bullets fly.

Its so damn satisfying.

https://medal.tv/games/call-of-duty...d1337Ji00JKF?invite=cr-MSxOU2UsMTY0MDk3NTEwLA

Example of me having fun and humiliating dem kidz with a nutshot as round winning kill. In glorious slo-mo at the end. :D I laughed so hard that the guy went on to send me death threats etc. Oh how I have hit a nerve.
I do the same, I was nightmare with the hand gestures 👍👌
That's all you would see, I wouldn't even wait until they was dead
You just get a 👌and Bang! 😂

thatJohann

I'm almost 35 and have been playing games for 30 of those straight. No breaks really (probably a mistake during college), just consistently playing for three decades. For the vast majority of that time, I've enjoyed very fast paced and/or difficult games. The last decade plus has been dominated by Souls games and fighting games.

But something changed. 2023 was a very difficult year for me and now that the dust has settled, I think I've come to the conclusion that between all my responsibilities and endeavors, I simply don't have the mental energy for these more difficult games.

I'm starting to seek more chill games. Mostly JRPGs and platformers. Still have a bunch of shmups I'm sprinkling in (I really need to do a 1CC this year), but what's great about these is they're short and you can really get your arms around them.

I'm really working on my health this year, so maybe my increased energy will affect my outlook, but that remains to be seen.

Have you ever gone through a big change in game taste?
Same here. I'm 39 and can no longer bring myself to tackle difficult or long games.

My jam now is short 8 hour simple casual games, hence my preference for the Switch over the other consoles that I've now sold.

Sintoid

I was born old
I'm 50 and never been able to play multiplayer competitive or cooperative games
But I still can handle hard difficult settings and Armored Core 6 pre patch frustration
I only reduced the number of games I play every year, trying to better select, maybe wait and complete in the right way what I choose to play

Catphish

I'm 50 and still mostly enjoy the types of games I always have, just have less time to play them.

But I am very disappointed at how sports games turned out. They were always my favorite genre in the 90s and early 00s. Now, they're the most stagnant, predatory genre I can think of.

But VR's a hoot, and I still love FPSs as much as I ever have (there again, however, predatory bullshit), but the more time goes on, the more I have to accept that I'm aging out of the majority of gaming. Most games today are just not made with my demo in mind.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I no longer frown on summon npcs to carry me in dark souls. I really appreciate when I get help from summons! Anyone want to help me in Elden ring? I’m in some library and a damn wolf boss destoys me

samoilaaa

im 33 and i love games just as much as i loved them when i was a teen , maybe even more

Ive had a bunch of fun this year

Baldur's gate 3
Trine 5
Armored core 6
Final fantasy 16
Dredge
Talos principle 2
Phantom liberty
System Shock
Warhammer 40k rogue trader
Ghost Runner 2
Amnesia the bunker

Last edited:

I_D

I'm 34, and I've also been playing games for the better part of three decades.
It's funny how people turn to different 'changes' when maturing as a person. It seems like lots of people in this thread experienced the same problems, but then landed on entirely different ends of the gaming-spectrum.

When I was younger, I played anything and everything. No genre was off-limits.
I've beaten everything from Battletoads to Myst. But that's when I was young and had nothing else to do.
Now that I don't have the time, I have also trimmed down the types of games I'm willing to play.

I find I enjoy games with lots of freedom, but which are also grounded in realistic-ish realities. I don't like double-jumps, or power-slides, or not losing ammo when reloading, or auto-healing, and things like that.
To me, the Souls games are the relaxation games. Anything Souls-like or Metroidvania-like is the kind of stuff I gravitate toward.
If I want to challenge myself, I'll play a shooter like Tarkov or Ready or Not.
If I really want to challenge myself, I'll play something like Cuphead or Guacamelee.

If I want to hate myself, I'll play story-heavy and cutscene-heavy games like... most of them. I don't want to call them "console games" or "AAA games," but... it is what it is.
I honestly can't remember the last time a game had compelling-enough cutscenes and writing for me to not skip everything after the first 10 minutes. At this point, I'd prefer no storyline at all, and just pure gameplay.
If a game has a checkpoint-system, or a borderline-useless-but-you-need-it-occasionally crafting system, or a zillion things to find on the map, or a marker that tells you exactly where to go, or is heavily focused on a pathetic Nolan North-style storyline (especially one that tries to be rated M), I'm probably not going to be interested.

Pop

That's why I mainly play mmos now when I can. Just like to chill and level some. Don't do much competitive mp games anymore and that's fine

No offense, but I don't even know if I would consider that "playing a game". That's "temple run or angry birds on the bus home" gaming. It would take you over a month just to get through even a short game.
Yes, and that's why I commented on this thread that was about getting old and not having much time to play games, or change your preferences based on this new stage. My old self would be saying the same as what you are saying so I agree in that sense.

meatsauce

Neo Member
I'm the opposite. I used to prefer single player RPGs when younger like FF, Fallout, Mass Effect while enjoying multiplayer as well. When I hit 30 I realized I actually sucked when I thought I was a good.
Instead of giving up I ditched the single player narrative based games and focused on online gaming. Now I would say I'm actually decent at gaming again and reading words and slower action bores me.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Same, I result I buy less games compare to others but I rarely get disappointed with the games I buy.

Some people might say my taste is limited and maybe they are right but I couldn't be happier.
After all it's about what you like, not how many you can play.

Freeman76

Im 47 and like slower games mostly, as I game to unwind. I have found as i get older i prefer deeper games as well, so can be a hard balance to find. The past few months I've solely play Guild Wars 2 and Satisfactory

Top Bottom