• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I'm transitioning into my "old man" stage of gaming.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm almost 35 and have been playing games for 30 of those straight. No breaks really (probably a mistake during college), just consistently playing for three decades. For the vast majority of that time, I've enjoyed very fast paced and/or difficult games. The last decade plus has been dominated by Souls games and fighting games.

But something changed. 2023 was a very difficult year for me and now that the dust has settled, I think I've come to the conclusion that between all my responsibilities and endeavors, I simply don't have the mental energy for these more difficult games.

I'm starting to seek more chill games. Mostly JRPGs and platformers. Still have a bunch of shmups I'm sprinkling in (I really need to do a 1CC this year), but what's great about these is they're short and you can really get your arms around them.

I'm really working on my health this year, so maybe my increased energy will affect my outlook, but that remains to be seen.

Have you ever gone through a big change in game taste?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I'm almost 35 and have been playing games for 30 of those straight. No breaks really (probably a mistake during college), just consistently playing for three decades. For the vast majority of that time, I've enjoyed very fast paced and/or difficult games. The last decade plus has been dominated by Souls games and fighting games.

But something changed. 2023 was a very difficult year for me and now that the dust has settled, I think I've come to the conclusion that between all my responsibilities and endeavors, I simply don't have the mental energy for these more difficult games.

I'm starting to seek more chill games. Mostly JRPGs and platformers. Still have a bunch of shmups I'm sprinkling in (I really need to do a 1CC this year), but what's great about these is they're short and you can really get your arms around them.

I'm really working on my health this year, so maybe my increased energy will affect my outlook, but that remains to be seen.

This is right around the time the same thing happened to me. 35 years old, I’m 42 now. I’m still playing the lighter games, I have no interest in going back to what I was playing. When it started to feel like a chore, that’s when I gave it up completely. Video games should be enjoyed by you, whatever that means to you.

Go_Ly_Dow

By my mid 20s I stopped playing all online games and just started playing single player narrative driven games. Now in my 30s, I play about 4-7 games a year which I give my full attention one at a time. I much prefer it this way. No stress of having a backlog or feeling that games are too long when you're just focusing on one. Or the stress that comes from junk repetitive online games. I make the most of this smaller selection of games. Another habit that changed was when I play games, which during the working week is in the late evening from around 7pm and after dinner once errands are out the way. Usually I'll play a few hours at most. On the weekend it's more carefree but I like to get outside during the day and see people, unless the weather is truly awful. I prefer having this structure and I'm enjoy the hobby more than ever.
Floating White Cat GIF by lilcozynostril

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
I said something in this line on the Steam sale topic. I'm experiencing something exactly like this.

Try some smaller indie AA games. There is a whole new world in there for those who did not want to commit to a AAA experience.

Oh yeah, that's a big part of the plan. I've actually played a stupid amount of indies over the years, especially since the 360 Arcade days. Since then I've always had my finger on the pulse of indies.

BossLackey

Gold Member
By my mid 20s I stopped playing all online games and just started playing single player narrative driven games. Now in my 30s, I play about 4-7 games a year which I give my full attention one at a time. I much prefer it this way. No stress of having a backlog or feeling that games are too long. Or the stress that comes from junk repetitive online games. I can make the most of this smaller selection of games that I really look forward too. Another habit that changed was when I play games, which during the working week is now only late evening from around 7pm and after dinner once errands are out the way. Usually I'll play a few hours at most. On the weekend it's more carefree but I like to get outside during the day. I prefer having this structure.

Seems like a really healthy balance. This is very close to a structure I've been gravitating towards lately.

El Muerto

I'm in my 30s, going through the same thing. Most of these AAA games just feel like a chore to play and i dont really find them fun anymore (Assassins Creed, GOW, Spiderman for example). Used to play a lot of Payday and Rocket League but find it exhausting too. Just give me some smaller unique weird games like Akibas Trip, Dusk Diver, Ultra Age, etc.

saintjules

I'm at 40 and have been gaming since 1989. Between making money from my job(s) and music production work, I don't have as much time as I used to.

Interesting to see that most people in prior threads mention difficulty of games as part of their reasoning of slowing down on games. Maybe it's because if it takes multiple tries and time to beat a level/boss? I still welcome a challenge, however. Though I do sometimes think I should I be skipping dialogue/scenes to where I know they won't impact my experience.

I'm on here daily and looking and getting excited at forthcoming games. Playing some of them however is a different story. It's kind of like watching gameplay of games on youtube but not actually thinking of playing them. I get this way with Fighting games like Tekken 8 and SF VI. They look cool, but do I want to play them or have the time?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I think back to the times I played WoW and CS1.6/Source sometimes. The intensity and energy I had back in the day.is alien to me now.

I have fuck all near that now. Battlefield is my shooter and I haven't been back to that since they fucked up 2042.

I'm playing through ffvii remake now and tbh I'm finding normal quite a challenge. Most other games (TPS, FPS, aRPG) I'm always on hard but this is testing me. But then I don't play much JRPG - I know its more action based but still.

Reactions: Isa

angrod14

I try to stay away from games that don't respect my time or my persistence.

Souls games are kind of a mixed bag for me because they have a lot of design choices that I dislike so much, like the devs are actively trying to get you frustrated, or simply make straightfoward things so criptic (sidequests). But also, they have many beautiful elements that somehow make up for the frustation.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Welcome to the club.

For me it's not about difficulty. It's more about engagement. And I find most AAA's and AA lacking. Most writing is childish and garbage, and most subjects are about saving the world. (With exceptions). These epic fantasy world I can't relate too. And mechanically a lot of big budget games still feel like you're playing like a actor without reading the script beforehand. (I.e: Go over there an a set-pieces will take place)

I found that games like Disco Elysium and NORCO really spoke to me, now that i'm in my 30's, and showed how immature and infantile the greater industry is when it comes to world building and story telling through it's mechanics.

Last edited:

Bond007

Absolutely. I'm 37 and have like you gamed most of my life at a unhealthy and healthy pace. lol
I'm married with kids and for the most part i have balanced it well. However in the last 2yrs my playtime for the first time in my life has taken a nose dive. On top of that, the type of games i am playing are ones where i can hop on and off. I choose easier settings to avoid frustration and maximize enjoying a good story.

Looking at my Playstation/Xbox year in review i was shocked by how little i played and what i played.

Gran Turismo 7
Call of Duty
Ghost of Tsshima
God of War
GTA Online

Games i can enjoy and dip out as I please. No massive timesinks i used to enjoy- Assassins Creed, Destiny, Big open world games with a laundry list of tasks are actively avoided.
I still enjoy buying games, i'm just more selective with my time and expectation of actually completing them. There are always exceptions to highly anticipated games.
I'm sure my time will continue to drop as i grow older but i wont ever stop enjoying the hobby.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I gave up on Souls like games years ago. Same with Multiplayer games where I simply cant compete with 17 year old teenagers with lightning fast reflexes. No longer have the patience for Destiny raids and sitting there for 6 hours every night trying to get a good run at a boss.

I still play some games at harder difficulties but only a few. maybe 1 a year. Had a blast with RE4's Professional mode and getting all those bonus unlockables and GMGOW difficulty in GOW, but thats it. I always play games on normal difficulty and If i like them enough, switch to hard the next time through.

last year was the first time I didnt play ANY multiplayer or souls game ever. Gaming is supposed to be fun. If i want challenge, I go to a gym now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
same here and I will be 35 this year too.
I am not interested in baldurs gate 3 and similar too huge games.
I like my souls, hogwarts and things a bit more youthful but not challenging too much

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Na! You guys just are making excuses. Age has nothing to do with it. I am in my 50's and game on my Steam Deck, PS5, XSX and Switch. Open world games, RPG's, single-player narrative games....indies, shooters.....just no multiplayer and GAAS games. Age is not the problem.

JayK47

So 35 is old? Ok. At my age I prefer good story and characters and do not have time for hard or tedious games, due to lack of time. I prefer chill games as well. I guess you are mature for your age.

I guess I went a bit in opposite direction.

Used to play on easy to have chill experience. Mostly used to play for story, music, graphics.

Over time I realised stories weren’t all that great.

Then, Doom 3 happened. Game clicked for mechanics and gameplay. Ever since then, mostly focus on mechanics and system driven games.

Still play on Normal/ hard. Sign of a good game to me is good difficulty balance and encounter design. That stuff becomes apparent only on less than highest difficulties.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Souls games typically have very poor gameplay balancing. Personally, I don't think you're too old at 35. I think the Souls trend has destroyed a large portion of people's ability to critique and analyze anything having to do with gameplay balance. "Get good" literally removes any criticism of anything. I bet you could play older action games that aren't souls games and not feel that way. Souls was best when treated like a pseudo survival horror, slow paced exploration game like Demon's Souls. The exact same gameplay template has been stretched and contorted to fit to ever increasingly ridiculous levels of high paced action that it doesn't really fit with very well.

But your taste is your own so you know best of course.

I tend to really hate many games that are "difficult" these days because I think it's cheap, poorly balanced and unfun. But then a game like Sifu can come along that filters almost everyone but a small few and I'll get the Platinum because I think it's balanced perfectly. Really enjoyed Wanted: Dead also and beat it on the hardest difficulty and it can be very punishing. But I ended up dropping Elden Ring because of so many cheap tracking moves and other gameplay quirks that felt like poor gameplay design and wasn't worth the time to put up with. You might just need to be pickier about what qualifies as a "good" difficult game, or maybe that's just only me.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I'm 35 and the last year or so I've actually gone the opposite. As I've gotten older, I'm seeing and understanding more easily the the fairly shallow gameplay mechanics of many games and because of this I'm finding a lot of the stuff I used to enjoy when I was younger too simple, easy and unengaging. So recently I've been getting into the souls/Elden Ring games and souls-like (Lies of P) and it's reignited a new enjoyment of gaming for me. These games are challenging, exciting and rewarding and treat me like an intelligent person rather feeling very shallow and dull.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Once I hit 40 I started playing all my games on either Normal or Easy difficulty, especially ones that are supposed to be power fantasies.

Too old to be stressing out over game difficulty and retrying sections and boss fights over and over. I've done my time. The only exception are From titles because thats such a huge part of the experience.

cormack12

Gold Member
Na! You guys just are making excuses. Age has nothing to do with it. I am in my 50's and game on my Steam Deck, PS5, XSX and Switch. Open world games, RPG's, single-player narrative games....indies, shooters.....just no multiplayer and GAAS games. Age is not the problem.
That's not fair cos you have loads of free time after getting your pension out

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm 42 and still sweating my ass off. However, I just can't keep up with these Valorant guys. I could probably do better if I actually trained and practiced, but I feel like my reflexes have only suffered about 20-25%

SHA

Embrace it bro, don't let it get under your skin, you could revive your older self if you use it to build relationship with your children, I saw solidrev on YouTube, he's the coolest gamer dad on yt, see his videos, he's the alpha dad of video games.

Last edited:

avin

My tastes haven't changed. Flight sims and flight in space sims always were my jam, back since the Speccy that first had games I loved. I'll play others to check them out, all sorts, I appreciate them, I just don't love them.

What does change is I spend more money and less time. Thinking about it, the $ spent/hour played is now ridiculous, and I can only hope my wife never sees this thread.

avin

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I'm 40 and I almost feel guilty like I know I'm wasting my time when I should be doing other things instead of gaming.

I look around and I have a nice house, but I bet it would be a nicer house if I would have taken those 50 hours of Tsushima and put them towards work. I have a sick-ass car but I bet if I didn't spend 400 hours between fallout, elderscrolls, and Diablo that I would have an even better one.

The older I get the more I look at the rest of my life as sand through the hour glass slowly draining. I ask myself what else I should be doing rather than watching a 10 minute unskippable cutscene during the intro of Immortals of Aveum and I quickly turn it off.

Play sessions of 20 minutes are usually enough for me before I just turn it off and literally do anything else.

I often find myself more in love with the idea of playing a game than actually playing it. Often times I buy a game and just never launch it.

Retro games and even mobile games are better for me now. Games where you can play 5-10 minutes and then set it down are where it's at.

Maybe it's a phase, but really I think it's just the next step to just being burned out.

Last edited:

Aesius

This thread reminds me why most of my log will never be completed. I’ll never have the time.
There was a time when I thought I might do it, but there has been a shit ton of games released in the past few years that I really want to play, and now I know it's impossible. I pretty much limit myself to very short games now or games that are absolute must-plays for me (RDR2, Elden Ring in recent years).

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm 40 and I almost feel guilty like I know I'm wasting my time when I should be doing other things instead of gaming.

I look around and I have a nice house, but I bet it would be a nicer house if I would have taken those 50 hours of Tsushima and put them towards work. I have a sick-ass car but I bet if I didn't spend 400 hours between fallout, elderscrolls, and Diablo that I would have an even better one.

The older I get the more I look at the rest of my life as sand through the hour glass slowly draining. I ask myself what else I should be doing rather than watching a 10 minute unskippable cutscene during the intro of Immortals of Aveum and I quickly turn it off.

Play sessions of 20 minutes are usually enough for me before I just turn it off and literally do anything else.

I often find myself more in love with the idea of playing a game than actually playing it. Often times I buy a game and just never launch it.

Retro games and even mobile games are better for me now. Games where you can play 5-10 minutes and then set it down are where it's at.

Maybe it's a phase, but really I think it's just the next step to just being burned out.

I definitely feel this. Have been feeling it a lot more strongly the last few years. Feels like I should be using my time to do something productive or in a more "fulfilling" hobby like art (which I've neglected lately).

I buy and talk and think about games much more than actually playing them these days. It's hard to compare the last few years with the rest of my life though, because while I am getting older, my job also happens to now be incredibly stressful and I think that's taking a lot more out of me than I care to admit.

Killjoy-NL

I was the same around that age, I think (currently 40).
Then I got into a relationship 2 years ago, which took up even more spare time (especially with 3 kids together, youngest being 6 months old).

But then I got a Playstation Portal, which already offered enough convenience that I'm back to pretty much gaming daily.
Did got bored of my library though, but now that I've discovered Path of Exile, I'm back to gaming daily again.

Changing tastes and a busy life is just part of getting older.

I am in the same boat but cannot actually choose JRPGs because of the time commitment it usually takes :( which is a shame because it was my main genre growing up. I am in the last part of Baldur's Gate 3 but even that has taken me a while to go through.

I have resorted back to games like Dota 2 (on Turbo) so that I can play for chunks whenever there is time.

ungalo

What i don't have patience for anymore is less difficult games than games where you have to figure out by yourself how the devs designed their mess for hours and hours.

This is why i tolerate less and less Souls-like with time passing. Sekiro is hard but easily digestible, i feel the progression is very linear, you just have to nail basic mechanics.

But when systems are more convoluted like Nioh, that you have to spend time in ugly menus and endure the ambiguity of a game that's at the same time action and RPG, learn what works, what doesn't, it's getting tiring really quick.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Yes dude same. Im 39... I used to love competitive shooters. CoD, Halo, and CS back in they day.

I just cant do them anymore, I dont have the energy or the time to match the sweat required to have any fun in those. I enjoyed Verdansk when it very first came out for like 2 months... but since then Warzone just isnt fun to me anymore. It feels like every single person on there is just wildly cracked out.

Battlefield and just casual non-ranked CS GO are about the only online shooters I can handle now.

Honestly, Last 3 games I sunk serious time into were BG3, WH40k Rogue Trader, and now Im on the WoW Season of Discovery train. Im having a blast, so much more fun is being had.

The main thing to remember regardless of age is you like what YOU like. Sticking with something that's fun should always be the ultimate goal even though sometimes fomo wants to creep in when a game is blowing up and you feel like you should be jumping in too. Or brute forcing your way through something you stopped enjoying. Or even feeling like a slave to a backlog that's been building up. Fuck all that.

The one thing that's really changed for me being in the low 50s is that while I do have the time, what I'm lacking in is patience. Unlike the me decades ago, so there's just so many cheap options along with GP/PS+ to stick with something that isn't clicking right away. Having fun, however you find that, should be the ultimate goal. Along with knowing or expecting your gaming habits to change. Nothing wrong with that at all.

simpatico

Old guy checking in. A lot of my gaming time last year was used on SHMUPs, retro games and Metroidvanias. A lot of the AAA stuff is missing the mark for me. To the point where I’m seeing the gaming landscape as AAAA (GTA, Diablo etc) and Indie, without much in between.

Set up a SNES and Genesis in my home office and playing aLttP on the original cartridge (on a CRT) was incredibly comfy

Last edited:

Bond007

This hits me exactly and pretty much the reason i play less.
Only difference i play zero mobile games

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I grew up playing shooters and Zelda games and still play them, I think a gamers job is to play a vast variety of genres.

Robb

Gold Member
I think I’d be in the same boat if I didn’t have kids. They put a new spin on enjoying the hobby imo, mainly since it also becomes an activity where we spend time together.

Also makes me more engaged in playing through some games before playing them with the kids just so I can get some insight if they seem suitable, so that I know what we’re getting into. And it makes it a lot easier to teach them how to play if I know what I’m doing in the first place, of course.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Yep, I felt it when I hit 35. You start to question if your gaming time is taking up time that you could be actually doing something productive and beneficial.

I almost only feel truly comfortable gaming on weekends when I have absolutely no plans, particularly weekend nights. It really just depends on how many responsibilities you have in your life by the time you reach your mid 30s.

Hohenheim

I was almost 33 when I first started playing souls games back in 2017. Late to the party, I know.
I do struggle with hyperfast shmups and fighting games, but I definitly did that when I was a kid/teenager as well.
I'll probably curse the harder fromsoft bosses to hell and scream at the monitor when i'm a (very) old fart too😅

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve changed in a couple ways.

1. I have no qualms with lowering difficulty to get past a difficult part. I’m just looking to enjoy myself.

2. I don’t need anything day one. There isn’t a single big release hitting that offers something I haven’t already done before. So what’s the point of paying full price to do the same old thing? I’d rather spend less of my money on games.

JPSLotus97T

I'm almost 40, and I've been gaming since the late 80s. I barely played anything the past year not because of a lack of time, but because I have felt little motivation to play. I will play anything that looks interesting to me, but the past few years have been a slog. Games are just too big and too bloated to get the kind of enjoyment out of them. AC: Valhalla is a good example. I fired that up last spring and bailed as soon as I realized how unnecessarily large the game is. I've been mostly focusing on the old stuff. I can always get fired up for a playthrough of old classics. The newer titles don't grab me the same way the old stuff does. I recognize that some of that is due to nostalgia, but I recently got back into collecting for a retro system, and I remembered when I turned it on how much simpler the games were. I love GTA5 but there's something to be said for arcade style titles that don't demand hundreds of hours unless you're looking to get better at it like in the shmups genre.

I'm kind of in the opposite. When I play games, I need to sweat a bit or I'll get bored and drop them. If I want to relax and turn the mind off I'll watch something like an episode of Always Sunny, otherwise I want my brain to be tickled.

Top Bottom