• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I got Dark Souls. Now what?

yeah those skeletons kicked my ass repeatedly until I realized I was too low a level to do any good. Still he should sprint through that graveyard and pick up the weapons, they are very nice.

Varth

My advice: don't farm. Don't take shortcuts. Reduce advice and guides to the bare minimum. Embrace death and fear. Play offline unless you need help with a boss. Enjoy the game.

I played the game in parallel with a friend who farmed to hell, and hearing him breeze trough the game with a tank of a knight while I crawled and sweared with a badly raised and equipped wanderer, I had the clear impression that I was the one who was enjoying the game to its fullest. Best survival horror evah.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Advising people to play offline is terrible, terrible advice. The online component is the genius of the whole experience.

Varth

Advising people to play offline is terrible, terrible advice. The online component is the genius of the whole experience.

Not the first time. It subtracts way too much in terms of exploring and atmosphere while adding nothing he can't do on NG+

Finding a secret door is very different than reading "secret door" on a glowing sign next to the wall.

Now you enjoy the best game of 2011.

Ditto Varth's suggestion. Keep the guides to a minimum unless you absolutely cannot get past a certain point.

Aselith

Hows the saving system in Dark Souls? One of my pet peeve in Demons Souls was that I couldnt just play it for a bit, I had to invest long stretches of time.

What do you mean? You could quit anywhere and pick it back up at exactly the same spot. Dark Souls is the same.

The difficulty is being exaggerated in the online community, don't be too afraid. I found neither Souls game to be harder than Lucifer's Call (I haven't finished DaS yet tbf).

Take a cleric or a bandit and try to get the Claymore that's under the Red Bridge Wyvern in Undead Burg (first level). Youtube a vid on how to obtain it (you may or may not die, as long as you manage to grab it you'll have it permanently).
And don't raise your strength and endurance above 16 and 10 (min. requirements to wield a Claymore one-handed) respectively as the lightning enchantment you probably want to have for your Claymore later in the game disregards these stats. Furthermore, with 16 str/10 dex you can wield a Zweihander two-handed which is tremendous. Spend the rest of your points in vitality and endurance until you hit 40 in both by soul level ~70. Don't raise them one after another but simultaneously. Having at least 12 attunement for the beginning is good idea as well as you want to have healing and fireball spell in your portfolio.

Noo, don't play it offline. The online stuff (bloodstains, ghosts, messages, co-op) really brings the game to life. Nothing quite like seeing a ghost of a player fighting the boss you just killed or checking a bloodstain and seeing a replay of someones death. All that stuff adds atmosphere in my opinion. Sacrificing all that because you don't want to be told about the handful of secret walls in the game makes no sense. Theres plenty of other obscure secret things to discover that messages won't help you with.

don't worry too much, and enjoy the atmosphere.

- don't cheese the dragon on the bridge

You'll have a great time, just explore

Do you mean shoot his tail with a bow/arrow? Why not?

I am about 14 hours in now and really loving the game. The OT thread here has been really helpful for explaining even the basis stuff which seemed complex at first but it's really not once you know how :)

I finally gave into GAF hype and rented Dark Souls (360) from LOVEFiLM. I have read so much about it that popping it in and crabbing the controller will be a nearly religious event.

I am wondering though how to go into it. I have heard the following:

- I will die ALL THE TIME. I'm thinking CoD Veteran x3.
- I must not go to the wrong direction from the beginning
- I will die all the time anyhow. Smallest slip and I am done.

Anything crucial I missed? How should I grow into the experience? Grind-rebirth cycle? How do I avoid being discouraged by the difficulty?

lol

GavinGT

Banned
You just head off in whatever direction you're able. Try every option and then pick the one with the easiest (read: least difficult) enemies.

Do you mean shoot his tail with a bow/arrow? Why not?

Because the Drake Sword allows you to breeze through early parts without learning the nuances of the combat. Once it starts becoming ineffective, you'll be unprepared as you won't have learned how to play the game correctly.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
You just head off in whatever direction you're able. Try every option and then pick the one with the easiest (read: least difficult) enemies.

Yeah, the game is very good at directing you. If you're having trouble killing a single common enemy in an area, you probably have two or three other areas you can do at your level. The only exceptions are late game (Demon Ruins, for example).

Because the Drake Sword allows you to breeze through early parts without learning the nuances of the combat. Once it starts becoming ineffective, you'll be unprepared as you won't have learned how to play the game correctly.

Interesting. I grabbed the Drakes Sword and it is very powerful. Maybe I should go back to my Battle Axe...

FL4TW4V3

Just keep on playing. Keep your shield up at all times. Read all the messages left by other players. Learn the attack/defense patterns of your enemies. Keep on playing.

I don't consider myself a very good player in almost every game out there, but strangely I don't think Dark Souls is too hard. I'm 22 hours in, taking my time, and I enjoy this game like few games before.

Diamond

Well, I'd say it's a pretty hard game, despite the posts telling it's not so bad. Ok, we're on GAF, skilled gamers and all, but I remember there was a fair amount of frustrated guys in the Dark Souls OT, let's not forget them. :)

You can hit difficulty walls now and then, and sometimes it's not really about the number of deaths, but about the experience you lose. You can easily lose hours of progression, not by being wreckless, but just because some monster caught you off-guard.

So yeah, be patient, but also keep your focus when playing. Even if there's just three zombie rats between you and your goal, respect these zombie rats.
Don't forget it's a pretty open world, so if an area is really too hard, it's probably too soon to go there.

I'd also advise to upgrade your weapon, armor and shield as soon as possible. It's as important as your character's general level.

Enjoy the game, it's an awesome journey.

I finally gave into GAF hype and rented Dark Souls (360) from LOVEFiLM. I have read so much about it that popping it in and crabbing the controller will be a nearly religious event.

I am wondering though how to go into it. I have heard the following:

- I must not go to the wrong direction from the beginning
- I will die all the time anyhow. Smallest slip and I am done.

Anything crucial I missed? How should I grow into the experience? Grind-rebirth cycle? How do I avoid being discouraged by the difficulty?

People exaggerate so seriously for people to have this impression. Ugh. Best way is to just play it and enjoy it for yourself!

NBtoaster

I disagree with everyone saying to play it blind, offline with no help etc, the game is built around community help which I say includes forums and wikis. I don't think it lessens the experience.

Eccocid

Not the first time. It subtracts way too much in terms of exploring and atmosphere while adding nothing he can't do on NG+

Finding a secret door is very different than reading "secret door" on a glowing sign next to the wall.

Seriously most of the secret doors are impossible to figure out b yourself. You have to keep smashing to walls everywhere to find them.

You forgot something...you will DIE! However many times you think you will die will be insignificant compared with how many times you will actually die.

I disagree with everyone saying to play it blind, offline with no help etc, the game is built around community help which I say includes forums and wikis. I don't think it lessens the experience.
Agreed. Love the messages, reading the wiki on how to use boss souls, asking for tips in the Dark Souls thread here etc.

I don't spoil myself about big stuff but I get just enough info so that my experience is enhanced.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

This is completely outrageous. I'm outraged. If I was a less lazy person I'd tell you why I think so. Just know that I'm outraged, that will do for now.

Varth

Seriously most of the secret doors are impossible to figure out b yourself. You have to keep smashing to walls everywhere to find them.

The door reference was just an example, and actually the less important one for me. I wouldn't exchange the feeling of pure fear I felt exploring the sewers for anything. When I went online to try and find some help to kill the undead dragon, I found EVERY ambush I had to get out of, EVERY trap, nook and cranny I had to crawl out of, EVERY secret I found by chance or ability spoiled, and thank god for being forced (I recently moved to a new flat) to play offline. I lost an unmeasurable amount of souls just there, but no, I wouldn't exchange that experience for anything.

This is completely outrageous. I'm outraged. If I was a less lazy person I'd tell you why I think so. Just know that I'm outraged, that will do for now.

Noted ^^

Kyoufu

Just use a shield with 100% physical damage reduction on block. Then, traverse through dungeons and areas with your shield up. If an enemy strikes, guard it then strike when there is an opening. Don't get greedy.

My advice: Be extra carefull around NPCs especially merchants. I killed the undead merchant by accident and started over because of that. My luck however didn't leave me when I just punched the smith in the face and instead of becoming hostile he just told me to be more carefull.

The only unfair deads I encountered so far are because of camera issues and when suddently a 1mm step stops my rolling and I fall to my death or into lava, ...

1. The difficulty of the game is retardedly exaggerated. It is no more difficult than your typical game from the NES/SNES era. Stop being a pussy. Put the game in your console and start playing now.

2. Do not play offline. The online component is a big part of what makes the Souls games what they are.

3. Be careful what class you start out with. The most difficult part of the game is the first 5-6 hours or so. Your starting class will affect this.

4. Do not listen to the masochists who are telling you that the game will be more enjoyable if you intentionally make things more difficult for yourself. Nothing wrong with using the Drake Sword or checking the wiki from time to time, especially when trying to decide what weapons to upgrade. Though the less you use it, the better.

5. Learn to watch your stamina bar and manage your stamina. This is a big part of the combat.

6. Learn and upgrade pyromancy as quickly as possible.

7. Take back the rental and buy the damn game. This is a game that deserves your money. And buy Demon's Souls while you are at it and play that first.

1. The difficulty of the game is retardedly exaggerated. It is no more difficult than your typical game from the NES/SNES era. Stop being a pussy. Put the game in your console and start playing now.

2. Do not play offline. The online component is a big part of what makes the Souls games what they are.

3. Be careful what class you start out with. The most difficult part of the game is the first 5-6 hours or so. Your starting class will affect this.

4. Do not listen to the masochists who are telling you that the game will be more enjoyable if you intentionally make things more difficult for yourself. Nothing wrong with using the Drake Sword or checking the wiki from time to time, especially when trying to decide what weapons to upgrade. Though the less you use it, the better.

5. Learn to watch your stamina bar and manage your stamina. This is a big part of the combat.

6. Learn and upgrade pyromancy as quickly as possible.

7. Take back the rental and buy the damn game. This is a game that deserves your money. And buy Demon's Souls while you are at it and play that first.

This is a helpful reply, thanks.

For me there are lots of things in the game that I currently don't really understand. Upgrading weapons for example, I've not done this at all yet, perhaps I haven't needed to but I don't know, are you "supposed" to wait to upgrade rare weapons, or can you upgrade any? Trophies seem to suggest rare ones but I am not sure. My Battle Axe with my Pyro class character was doing fine then I saw all the red messages on the ground about the dragons tail and asked GAF and was told about it, seemed to make sense to make life easier for a while, the game is still challenging for sure.

We really should put this in OT, sorry. I'll go back there and ask more (seemingly simple) questions.

elohel

My advice: don't farm. Don't take shortcuts. Reduce advice and guides to the bare minimum. Embrace death and fear. Play offline unless you need help with a boss. Enjoy the game.

I played the game in parallel with a friend who farmed to hell, and hearing him breeze trough the game with a tank of a knight while I crawled and sweared with a badly raised and equipped wanderer, I had the clear impression that I was the one who was enjoying the game to its fullest. Best survival horror evah.

lol some people get into that others don't doesn't mean anyone is getting more or less out of the game

Eccocid

lol play it while holding controller upside down and checking screen from a mirror!
That's how we roll in here!

Diamond

This is a helpful reply, thanks.

For me there are lots of things in the game that I currently don't really understand. Upgrading weapons for example, I've not done this at all yet, perhaps I haven't needed to but I don't know, are you "supposed" to wait to upgrade rare weapons, or can you upgrade any? Trophies seem to suggest rare ones but I am not sure. My Battle Axe with my Pyro class character was doing fine then I saw all the red messages on the ground about the dragons tail and asked GAF and was told about it, seemed to make sense to make life easier for a while, the game is still challenging for sure.

We really should put this in OT, sorry. I'll go back there and ask more (seemingly simple) questions.

Weapon upgrade is something that could have been explained better in the game I think. But it's part of Dark Souls' charm I guess.

Basically, it's all about having the right weapon with the right upgrade material. At first you essentially need titanite shards (you can buy them at the blacksmiths so it's easy to find) to upgrade your basic weapons, then it becomes more complex and you need to chose what effects you want and decide to go kill specific types of monsters to collect the appropriate materials you need.
Having the dragon sword at the begining is cool because it's powerful so you don't really have to think about other weapons, but you'll ultimately have to upgrade further in the game.

There's a well done page on the Dark Souls Wiki, with all the info you need.

Anyway, it's highly recommended to upgrade your weapons and armor. You'll probably have to farm a few materials, but it makes some fights far more manageable. :)

am i the only person who read the thread title and answered in my head "die?"

great game though.

LowEndTorque said:
this is probably the best way i've seen anybody address the perceived difficulty of this game. people are so used to being babied by games they don't even understand or appreciate any sort of challenge anymore.

although i do think the marketing of this game is a huge part of the reason why everyone thinks this game is too difficult to even consider giving a shot

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
You don't need the Master Key.

Every lock that it opens has a corresponding key that can be found or bought in the world. The order in which you find the keys makes the pacing funner, adds exploration and doesn't expose you to areas you're not prepared for.

You don't need the Master Key.

Every lock that it opens has a corresponding key that can be found or bought in the world. The order in which you find the keys makes the pacing funner, adds exploration and doesn't expose you to areas your not prepared for.

This.

Master Key is a noob trap, stay away from it and ignore people who recommend it since most of the time they have experience and know what they are doing.

Bought it at launch, got a little into it but put it down because of other games, now I'm getting back into it, and it's really easy compared to Demon's Souls for me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If Master Key is a noob trap, what is the best item to pick?

No no no.

CoD Veteran is bullshit. * Souls is actual challenge.

I haven't played Dark Souls more than a few hours, but it seems like Demon's Souls, in that every time you die, it is your fault. You screwed up. It's not because the enemies gained superpowers or are endlessly regenerating out of an invisible portal.

Top Bottom