• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't tell if Andrew WK's music is made in jest or in earnest

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Well if we had our own willing way to go​
You'd be doing things, and hoping there's antidote!​
When we saw that we'd give you it all!​
We're thinkin' you're a lady, yankin' our chains an' all!​
We can get a try!​
We can get a try!​
With a 1, 2, 3​
You'd be startin' to drown!​
We can clear the floor​
We'd give you a bangin'​
Ladies and gentlemen do it together!​
We want you to give us something more​
You have to lay down on us!​
We want us to get up off the floor​
Don't ever lay down on it!​
We don't want to ever live or die!​
We gotta get out we can make it today​
You gotta HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY! make it today!​
We want fun and you better believe it!​
We want fun 'cause we desperately need it!​
We want fun, but you don't understand​
You gotta HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY! make me a man!​
We want fun either take it, or leave it!​
We want fun, and we're gonna get pasted!​
We want to have fun, and we want to get wasted!​
When we had the time of our life​
We'd hook up with the gang​
And take you through!​
Then you'd be in the back of our van​
Mum and dad started gettin' real bad!​
We want you to give us something more​
You have to lay down on us!​
We want us to get up off the floor​
Don't ever lay down on it!​
We don't want to ever live or die!​
We gotta get out we can make it today​
You gotta HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY! make it today!​
We want fun 'cause we desperately need it!​
We want fun, but you don't understand...​
You gotta HEY! HEY! HEY! HEY! make me a man!​
We want fun 'cause we medically need it!​
We want fun eiter take it, or leave it!​
We want fun, and we're gonna get pasted!​
We want pie, want pie, want fun YEAH!​
What do we want? What do we want?​
We want fun, want pie, want fun YEAH!​
What do we want? What do we want?​
We want fun, want pie, want pie YEAH!​
What do we want? We know what we want!​
We want pie, want pie, want pie!​

These lyrics come from a man who says he doesn't drink or use drugs at all. Is the pie part serious? Is that a joke? But that isn't the end. In 2006 Andrew WK appeared on Aquateen Hunger Force.

This, obviously is a parody. The lyrics are as follows:

Well, Party, Party, Party​
I wanna have a Party​
I need to have a Party​
You better have a Party​
Woah, Party, Party, Party​
You gotta Party hardy​
I'm gonna have a Party​
Or else you will be sorry​
Oh, Party, Party, Party​
The Party's gonna start, hey​
I know a guy named Marty​
Marty loves to Party​
Woah, Party, Party, Party​
Party make me farty​
I gotta take antacid​
So I can keep on Partying​
Sweet, sweet Party​
Party, Party, Party​
You gotta Party​
Hey, I wanna Party​
Who's gonna make this Party started?​
Me! Me! ME!​
Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me​
Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me​
The satirical minds at Adult Swim were poking fun at the mysterious celebrity and inexplicable success of a "rockstar" of dubious talent. Except that Andrew WK voiced himself in the episode. And wrote that song. And, it seems, unironically wrote those lyrics.

Is this man a joke? Is his persona a joke? Because I've never seen him drop it.

anthony2690

Banned

I remember this song would come on TV all the time back in the day.

I quite liked a few of his songs, I do think it's a parody thing that has happened to have a few decent catchy songs

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Andrew WK is like a bad reality show where they take frat boys and let them have their dream careers for a day. Except it's like a day on Pluto, at this point.

Rest

This is for you.

I'm glad Dave Pino didn't have to suffer through that.

His nonanswer when asked about it also sheds no light on the matter.

Last edited:

Rest

[snip]

Funny stuff. I like the guy
Once I got a little bit older, and I could sort of fathom that I could choose what to listen to and that I could request things, there was this record that my parents had played a lot, but because it wasn't a kid's record they never really told me about it. It was from this series of albums called Hooked on the Classics, and it had two long sides, and each side was a medley of all the most popular motifs from classical tunes, so you'd have everything from Bach to Beethoven to Mozart to Gershwin, but it was all set to this very driving disco beat which just did not let up. It was really rocking and very well arranged and very compelling. It was completely instrumental, so it had that soundtrack quality. I remember just playing for hours while listening to the record. It was this feeling of excitement, a feeling of being high, and it was so particular and so strong and so automatic. There wasn't this faint sense of "oh, it's funny, when I put this record on, I feel a little different, it's cool, it's like a good feeling, I like this song." It was a completely overwhelming state of euphoria.

Interestingly there is a word for that, it's called eudaimonia.

Still, none of this is helping.

He seems to talk like a child some times, and at others ramble like some doof off on some woo-woo kick. Then he'll say something that almost seems profound and I can't tell if he can tell you the difference between his rambling and his cogent, meaningful thoughts. I can't make sense of it as an entire thing. Just like his music. And that's what this comes back to. His music is like something a child could write, it seems so simple and, for lack of a better word, stupid, and then there will be a surprising moment where several layers come together and I have to stop and think about how melodies just collided. Is that done in spite of the simplicity and inanity of everything surrounding it? Is he having savant like moments of musical greatness while he wanders through simple melodies like an idiot? Or is he giving a wink to people who like good music in the middle of the garbage he peddles for beer commercials and teenagers going to their first concert—saying "I know this is junk, you know this is junk, here's something for us in the middle of this dreck."

I cannot tell.

Rest

Now I just started reading the conspiracy theory website. I remember not too long ago listening to a podcast and someone saying they would believe that Andrew WK was a series of actors and I thought it was just a throw away joke. Now I'm looking at the old conspiracy site what the fuck there are like five different dudes that are supposed to be Andrew WK.

I made this thread for answers what the fuck are you doing this for now I have to dig deeper to figure any of this out god dammit.

Rest

Jesus I can't stop reading these Andrew WK conspiracy sites. Why do they all have fucked up photoshops of his face? Like this picture:

2485717.jpg

I can't figure out what exactly is going on, but my brain is telling me that it's not a human face. It's like it's a construction of facial features of several different similar looking people with Andrew WK's teeth. It's so slightly off that it gives me the creeps, and I have a hard time looking at it. Another site has a picture of Andrew WK in black face that has also been altered somehow and is hard to look at.

What the hell are these websites?

RAÏSanÏa

Jesus I can't stop reading these Andrew WK conspiracy sites. Why do they all have fucked up photoshops of his face? Like this picture:

2485717.jpg

I can't figure out what exactly is going on, but my brain is telling me that it's not a human face. It's like it's a construction of facial features of several different similar looking people with Andrew WK's teeth. It's so slightly off that it gives me the creeps, and I have a hard time looking at it. Another site has a picture of Andrew WK in black face that has also been altered somehow and is hard to look at.

What the hell are these websites?
Sound like fansites. Who else would spend that much time with such specifically useless fuckery?

Rest

Sound like fansites. Who else would spend that much time with such specifically useless fuckery?
Some of them aren't though. This was a real website:

There's still a page where you're supposed to be able to find that video:

There are no videos on that page. Where videos could be embedded under the headings there are references to "kyte.tv" which, as far as I can tell, does not host videos. It's a wordpress site that seems to have nothing on it.

This recent short docu goes well inside the conspiracy and character of AWK. Its safe to say...nobody knows if he is a made up character by a team of people or that is THE Andrew. For someone that doesnt wear a mask, we sure as shit dont know much about him. I dont even know how in this day and age you end up confusing everyone into who you really are. All I know is I GET WET when I PARTY HARD \m/

Rest

The idea that Dave Grohl wrote any of Andrew WK's music seems silly to me. None of it has Grohl's touch.

Jesus I can't stop reading these Andrew WK conspiracy sites
Yup, I had fun going down that rabbit hole a few years ago 🤣
Decided to just take him (or whomever) at face value, he's put out a few bangers that I can mosh to at rock clubs

It is all very strange though haha. Enjoy trying to figure it out 😂

Wildebeest

Four on the floor baby ain't no mystery what he is about. David Grohl uses disco beats as well, so it isn't like there is no common ground. But four on the floor dominates dance music, so you can easily just not even notice it. Could just as easily compare him to Queen or Blondie.

Rest

Four on the floor baby ain't no mystery what he is about. David Grohl uses disco beats as well, so it isn't like there is no common ground. But four on the floor dominates dance music, so you can easily just not even notice it. Could just as easily compare him to Queen or Blondie.
Grohl's songwriting has a certain I don't know what that none of Andrew WK's music has. Beat isn't songwriting. Rhythm also isn't songwriting.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Jeez, I thought I had the guy figured out (Straight-Edge Hardcore Guy Spreads Positivity through Big Dumb Fun Anthems that Mostly All Sound the Same), but this thread has me shook. Is he genuine? Is he 3 separate people? Is he laughing at his audience? Would it matter if he was? Is that the point? Ahhhhhhhhh!

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Andrew W.K. (Bioclone #6) is currently engaged to Kat Dennings. I used to read her blog while listening to "Party Hard" in the early 2000s The plot thickens.....

Pejo

I put him in the same bucket as DJ Khaled. I don't know if they are face value people or playing the long game like Andy Kaufman.

Pejo

I'm 99.9999% certain that DJ Khaled is a genuine retard and can't read.
It's almost too perfect how stupid he is though. Did you see the Bob Marley series guitar video? I mean it's almost a master class in trolling people, so much so that it can't be just coincidence.

This is a guy that makes his living from music.

Rest

It's almost too perfect how stupid he is though. Did you see the Bob Marley series guitar video? I mean it's almost a master class in trolling people, so much so that it can't be just coincidence.

This is a guy that makes his living from music.

I think that's just a dumb guy being dumb. It's perfect how stupid he is? No, he's just really stupid. When you put stupid people into life, they stupid their way through it.
Don't be tricked by the machine using him. He is an idiot. He is a cog in the machine. Just because he's facing out doesn't mean he's anything more than a cog.

Rest

God dammit, Dave Pino got me again. I was looking for one of his videos (the one where he plays Nick Jonas' awful solo)

and in that search I found this monstrosity:

Andrew WK can't sing. This song is simpering bullshit and the premise he gives before they play is retarded. I feel like I'm being bamboozled.

Top Bottom