• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't remember the name of this Movie/Cartoon/Song/etc.

200px-Peter-No-Tail_%28film%29.jpg

Azar

I've got one of these that's been on my mind for months:

It's an animated movie I watched as a kid, set under the water and starring fish/whales. Some young fish goes on a journey to find Moby Dick because he needs his help to save his family, or something like that, and he finally finds Moby Dick but Moby Dick is all old and wrinkly and just tells him to go away. It was kind of depressing and I think he got chased by sharks a lot. :lol

I got it from the library in the early 90s all the time, but it could have been animated in the 70s/80s, I don't know when.

wRATH2x

Banned
Oh I just remembered something I needed help with, I remember watching this old show with Spider-Man in it, it was live action, it had a narrator, it used to look like a comic everytime they go to another scene its like their turning the page or something.

Gilby said:
Holy Crap! I remember that! I don't remember what it was called though :( I think it was about the dad inventing a remote that could take you into tv programs, and the kids used it on their favourite show about dinosaurs. I too loved everything dinosaur related (who wouldn't?).
Omg, yes, that's the one! Now we just have to find it. :lol
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody but I think it's none of those. ;(

Edit: woah, I actually found it! Complete in superbad quality on youtube, yeaaaaaaaaaaah!
Adventures in Dinosaur City
Better quality trailer ...:lol
I actually can still hum the melodies, omg. I watched this movie 15 years ago. o_o

There even was a snes game based on it:
Dino City. Looking at the video I would have loved this game when I was young. :lol

Wrath2X said:
Oh I just remembered something I needed help with, I remember watching this old show with Spider-Man in it, it was live action, it had a narrator, it used to look like a comic everytime they go to another scene its like their turning the page or something.

The Electric Company

Gilby

DieNgamers said:
Omg, yes, that's the one! Now we just have to find it. :lol
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody but I think it's none of those. ;(

Edit: woah, I actually found it! Complete in superbad quality on youtube, yeaaaaaaaaaaah!
Adventures in Dinosaur City
Better quality trailer ...:lol
I actually can still hum the melodies, omg. I watched this movie 15 years ago. o_o

There even was a snes game based on it:
Dino City. Looking at the video I would have loved this game when I was young. :lol
HOLY CRAP! That's definitely it! I've had the cartoon intro song from that movie stuck in my head since childhood, and never knew where it was from! Thanks, now I don't have to wonder if it was just some imaginary song I made up as a kid!

Magnus

Some bizarre French sci-fi cartoon:

Starts with naked humans running around on an alien world, only to have the camera pan out and the audience realize that they're insect-sized to the aliens on the planet, and the humans are thus often hunted or kept as pets with slave collars.

It was feature length, very morbid and depressing. Ends with a human resistance that assembles in compounds that resemble underground anthills (from the aliens' perspective), and this resistance either succeeds or fails, can't remember.

Plot involved an alien keeping the main human protagonist captive as a pet and becoming sympathetic to the human cause for freedom, much to his father's chagrin, a man who apparently is either a political leader, or in charge of keeping the 'human infestation' in check, or both.

Magnus said:
Some bizarre French sci-fi cartoon:

Starts with naked humans running around on an alien world, only to have the camera pan out and the audience realize that they're insect-sized to the aliens on the planet, and the humans are thus often hunted or kept as pets with slave collars.

It was feature length, very morbid and depressing. Ends with a human resistance that assembles in compounds that resemble underground anthills (from the aliens' perspective), and this resistance either succeeds or fails, can't remember.

Plot involved an alien keeping the main human protagonist captive as a pet and becoming sympathetic to the human cause for freedom, much to his father's chagrin, a man who apparently is either a political leader, or in charge of keeping the 'human infestation' in check, or both.

Fantastic Planet

raebu

Neo Member
Azar said:
I've got one of these that's been on my mind for months:

It's an animated movie I watched as a kid, set under the water and starring fish/whales. Some young fish goes on a journey to find Moby Dick because he needs his help to save his family, or something like that, and he finally finds Moby Dick but Moby Dick is all old and wrinkly and just tells him to go away. It was kind of depressing and I think he got chased by sharks a lot. :lol

I got it from the library in the early 90s all the time, but it could have been animated in the 70s/80s, I don't know when.

Pretty sure it's Samson and Sally. :) http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091889/

I used to watch that movie all the time when I was younger. I never realized it was foreign, haha.

When I was younger, my younger sister had this series of books that she kept on the bookshelf in the hallway and I ended up reading them too - enjoyed them as well

They both took place in the same world and there were two series that she had

Series 1: Girl pretend to be boy to take dad's place in the army or something. She had purple eyes (which was important for some reason). She pretends to be a boy for years, learns she has some magic powers, her brother became a wizard, beats the bad guy, gets found out, marrys the prince

Series 2: Girl from first book, now queen, opens up army to women. New girl comes into army, has no magic powers but ends up being a really good leader / super calm in battle. Gets her own little unit. Travels to northern area and beats up bad guy building robots with the souls of dead children

Any ideas?

raebu

Neo Member
HamPster PamPster said:
When I was younger, my younger sister had this series of books that she kept on the bookshelf in the hallway and I ended up reading them too - enjoyed them as well

They both took place in the same world and there were two series that she had

Series 1: Girl pretend to be boy to take dad's place in the army or something. She had purple eyes (which was important for some reason). She pretends to be a boy for years, learns she has some magic powers, her brother became a wizard, beats the bad guy, gets found out, marrys the prince

Series 2: Girl from first book, now queen, opens up army to women. New girl comes into army, has no magic powers but ends up being a really good leader / super calm in battle. Gets her own little unit. Travels to northern area and beats up bad guy building robots with the souls of dead children

Any ideas?

Sounds like the Song of the Lioness series.

mclem

msdstc said:
Didn't want to make a thread. I dunno how old the song is it sounds decently recent though. I heard it the other die the only lyrics I know are something along the lines of "what a feeling" in the chorus or "what I'm feeling". It's piano/strings driven if I remember right, but I don't know how else to explain it. Maybe somebody can help me out.

"What A Feeling", Irene Cara, used in Flashdance? It's *very* 80's, though, so could only count as 'recent' if 'not recent' is the likes of '20s crooners.

Pejo

I have one for the anime crowd. I saw it on the Sci-Fi channel about 10 years ago for late night anime or something.

Not really sure what the whole point of it was, as I caught it about halfway through, but it reminded me a lot of Mega Man. It had this dude, i think with a boomerang looking thing on his helmet, that was most/partly cyborg. I think he had a robot dog as well, and he was involved in a mass battle with the 2 of them vs. thousands of demons/robots/something.

Memory's kinda hazy on it, but I always wanted to watch it from the beginning because I really liked what i saw of it.

Gomu Gomu

@Wrath2X: lol yeah. Channel 2 was awesome in the afternoon :lol

Pejo said:
I have one for the anime crowd. I saw it on the Sci-Fi channel about 10 years ago for late night anime or something.

Not really sure what the whole point of it was, as I caught it about halfway through, but it reminded me a lot of Mega Man. It had this dude, i think with a boomerang looking thing on his helmet, that was most/partly cyborg. I think he had a robot dog as well, and he was involved in a mass battle with the 2 of them vs. thousands of demons/robots/something.

Memory's kinda hazy on it, but I always wanted to watch it from the beginning because I really liked what i saw of it.

yn3.jpg

This?

louie

This one movie has driven me nuts for years, but unfortunately this is all i can remember about it:

The story revolves around a homeless man that likes to run, who later gets taken in and trained by a rich family. One of the final shots of the film shows the homeless man running faster than a horse. Afterwards, he lies down, starts crying and possibly(can't remember this bit too well) dies.

Blackheim

Pejo said:

Sounds like Casshan: Robot Hunter

wRATH2x

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
@Wrath2X: lol yeah. Channel 2 was awesome in the afternoon :lol
Ahhh the memories! :lol

Now there's this cartoon I'm trying to remember. I remember this guy riding his motorcycle with his dog, and he used to do something and turn into this herculean warrior and his dog turns into a lion, it may or may not look similar to He-Man.

And there was this other old cartoon I remember loving, it had this greek family living in ancient greek times and it was in the same sit-commish cartoon style that the flintstones and jetsons had.

The third one is also old, it had this family who were also dysfunctional. The dad was bald short and fat, he had three kids the oldest two are this boy and girl who look like hippies, and the young one is a bart like character. I vaguely remember their last name being Boyd.

And this one is an anime I really liked, it was all about Dodgeball. I remember its arabic name but I wanna know if it ever was dubbed in english. Gomu Gomu you may help if you know it:

حكم ومبارة
كرة صفارة
لعبة واثارة بالملعب

Wrath2X said:
The third one is also old, it had this family who were also dysfunctional. The dad was bald short and fat, he had three kids the oldest two are this boy and girl who look like hippies, and the young one is a bart like character. I vaguely remember their last name being Boyd.

Wait Till Your Father Gets Home

Well the game version of this thread helped me with a decade long itch for knowledge so ill give this a try :)

Show must have been on in the early '90.
English or US
featured early CG (think it was CG, or reall good moving costumes)
Live action people who wore suits that had different things they transformed to.
one of the suits had wings so he could fly.

the show seemed to be set in industrial zones a lot, lots of light brown colour.

any ideas?

electristan said:
Well the game version of this thread helped me with a decade long itch for knowledge so ill give this a try :)

Show must have been on in the early '90.
English or US
featured early CG (think it was CG, or reall good moving costumes)
Live action people who wore suits that had different things they transformed to.
one of the suits had wings so he could fly.

the show seemed to be set in industrial zones a lot, lots of light brown colour.

any ideas?

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

way more

The cartoon I'm thinking of was featured on a most likely a PBS show. I believe it was about animals that lived together. In one episode they are looking for all the extinct animals of the world and discover a portal/zoo/lost world where all the White Rhino and Black Tigers have gone but they can't stay. It was pretty depressing and had a strong environmental slant. What is most vivid is the narration from the main character being philosophical and poetic and a downer.

There was a game on ps1 that came with "3d glasses" and you fought against some shadow creatures.The character you controlled was on the cover with his dog.

Gomu Gomu

Wrath2X said:
And this one is an anime I really liked, it was all about Dodgeball. I remember its arabic name but I wanna know if it ever was dubbed in english. Gomu Gomu you may help if you know it:

حكم ومبارة
كرة صفارة
لعبة واثارة بالملعب

<3 &#1575;&#1604;&#1585;&#1605;&#1610;&#1577; &#1575;&#1604;&#1605;&#1604;&#1578;&#1607;&#1576;&#1577;

Hon&#333; no T&#333;ky&#363;ji Dodge Danpei

Alternative title:
Bola de Dan (Spanish)
Dodge Danpei (Japanese)
Fighting Dodgeball Boy Dodge Danpei
Magico Dan, super campione (Italian)
Super Dan (Polish)
&#1575;&#1604;&#1585;&#1605;&#1610;&#1577; &#1575;&#1604;&#1605;&#1604;&#1578;&#1607;&#1576;&#1577; (Arabic)
&#28814;&#12398;&#38360;&#29699;&#20816;&#12539;&#12489;&#12483;&#12472;&#24382;&#24179; (Japanese)
&#54588;&#44396;&#50773; &#53685;&#53412; (Korean)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2181

Peff

Milk Lizard said:
There was a game on ps1 that came with "3d glasses" and you fought against some shadow creatures.The character you controlled was on the cover with his dog.

Heart of Darkness?

heart-of-darkness-playstation-front-300x297.jpg

Awesome game :D

Gomu Gomu

Wrath2X said:
Gomu Gomu <3.

OK another cartoon:lol It had these animals playing Soccer and every episode its different animals playing against each other, but the announcer was always a green Snake.
DAMMIT I can see the cartoon in my head. Now I'm more interested in it's name than you :lol

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
What was that cartoon with those carnivore-plant-vehicles and a boy with orange hair (and white lock)? I remember a spaceship too and a Captain that resembled Han Solo..

KAOz

Short bus special
Wrath2X said:
Gomu Gomu <3.

OK another cartoon:lol It had these animals playing Soccer and every episode its different animals playing against each other, but the announcer was always a green Snake.

Zoo Olympics!

Now, I need some help too. With two cartoons.
One was about dinosaurs, that lived in a futuristic city. They had Robotcop-like gear and stuff, and they where cops. It's driving me insane.

The other one was a He-Man rip-off-thing, where a guy flew around on a blue dragon, and held some kind of crystal that shot lasers. He also had a bunch of Smurf-like purple dudes living in a tree, and in the episode I watched, they where building an ark.

wRATH2x

Banned
KAOz said:
Zoo Olympics!
Fuck YEAH!!! Sorry can't help you with those two.
What was that cartoon with those carnivore-plant-vehicles and a boy with orange hair (and white lock)? I remember a spaceship too and a Captain that resembled Han Solo..
Jayce and the wheeled warriors?

Ourobolus

Banned
KAOz said:
Zoo Olympics!

One was about dinosaurs, that lived in a futuristic city. They had Robotcop-like gear and stuff, and they where cops. It's driving me insane.

The other one was a He-Man rip-off-thing, where a guy flew around on a blue dragon, and held some kind of crystal that shot lasers. He also had a bunch of Smurf-like purple dudes living in a tree, and in the episode I watched, they where building an ark.
Pretty sure that the dinosaur one was The Adventures of T-Rex..

Ceres

Banned
KAOz said:

Blackstar featured a He-man like guy on a dragon.

Not sure about the first. There's Dinosaucers, Dino-Riders and just for laughs Robotix (the intro is hilarious). All 80s shows as I assume that's around the time they both aired.

KAOz

Short bus special
Ceres said:
Blackstar featured a He-man like guy on a dragon.

That's the one!
I love you guys. :lol
Two cartoons that has been on my mind for years got solved sooooo quickly on GAF. Thank you!:D *hunts all of them down*

wRATH2x

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Now there's this cartoon I'm trying to remember. I remember this guy riding his motorcycle with his dog, and he used to do something and turn into this herculean warrior and his dog turns into a lion, it may or may not look similar to He-Man.
Help.

wRATH2x

Banned
Wrath2X said:

And there was this other old cartoon I remember loving, it had this greek family living in ancient greek times and it was in the same sit-commish cartoon style that the flintstones and jetsons had.
Ummmmm...guys?

wRATH2x

Banned
Powerslave said:
The first one is He-Man?
No but it was a really similar to this, come on guys I really need help with this.

This one is not really a popular show. I think it was an 80's show but I'm not sure. It had this super hero with curly blonde hair and he wore red, the show didn't last long from what I remember.

armubaba

While I was at All Points West last weekend, between acts a very Beck-esque song came on. IIRC the chorus went something like calle nuevo, calle nuevo, or something with a "ka" sound a "nuevo/nueva" afterward. Anybody have any ideas what this song was?

Top Bottom