• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can’t believe Nintendo outlasted ANOTHER competitor in the console market

Topher

Gold Member
If Microsoft says "we're not leaving the console space" and "Bethesda and Activision games will release on other hardware while Microsoft and Xbox Studios games remain timed exclusive on console" this will be an interesting week in hindsight.

We already know Microsoft is not leaving the console space. If Microsoft commits all of Bethesda and Activision games to other hardware then that isn't much of a lifeline for Xbox consoles though. That is damn near letting Xbox console simply die on the vine.

00_Zer0

Q9ADy1c.gif

BlackTron

Yeah that was always the Nintendo fanboys’ last line of defense. Nobody was buying their console and they were bleeding money, but hey, they had money in the bank! Wowee.

Was and still is. Even if Switch 2 was a complete disaster they can tank the whole gen, learn lessons and then come back out of nowhere to ruin everyones day again.

They are not like Sega who didn't have money and are in serious financial trouble if they botch a system. Like how Sony had to course-correct and even sell property to regain solvency after $599 PS3. Basically the other players can slug it out, rise and fall all they want while N just does their thing. A failed system is just a lesson for them, nothing more.

That said they weren't excessively bleeding money either. Wii U was profitable. Same deal with Gamecube -it made money even if it didn't beat PS. IIRC they did post a loss because they put a lot of R&D into Switch and then fronted the money to make them all before launch. They also got their investment into the games back many times over on Switch as well. Their losses during the transition from U to Switch is a pittance compared to their war chest. Arguably, it's this massive war chest that gives them the cushion to be so experimental with their systems, and in turn, to be so successful. Stinkers are part of the equation.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I can remember the Wii U.

The 3DS still sold 75 million.

How are those PSVR 2 sales coming along? Three figures yet? And any news on a native Sony handheld? Or have they been beaten out of that market?
Oh yeah that was the other line of defense “lol well the Vita also flopped and Sony had to sell their headquarters!!!”

I don’t give a shit about Sony. I like Nintendo and I hope they succeed (hell I bought Wii U and Switch day 1 and will do the same with Switch 2 or whatever it’s called). All I’m saying is don’t get cocky and don’t assume that their success is guaranteed, like it’s some law of the universe that when Nintendo releases their big hitters, the system will inevitably sell like crazy.

Del_X

We already know Microsoft is not leaving the console space. If Microsoft commits all of Bethesda and Activision games to other hardware then that isn't much of a lifeline for Xbox consoles though. That is damn near letting Xbox console simply die on the vine.

Maybe - they do have a bunch of stuff in development (hell) outside of those studios.

Ogbert

Oh yeah that was the other line of defense “lol well the Vita also flopped and Sony had to sell their headquarters!!!”

I don’t give a shit about Sony. I like Nintendo and I hope they succeed (hell I bought Wii U and Switch day 1 and will do the same with Switch 2 or whatever it’s called). All I’m saying is don’t get cocky and don’t assume that their success is guaranteed, like it’s some law of the universe that when Nintendo releases their big hitters, the system will inevitably sell like crazy.
Fair enough.

I simply find that round here, Nintendo’s success is always qualified and Microsoft’s failures celebrated.

To your last point, I think Nintendo is the only one of the major manufacturers/publishers that has IP that is almost untouchable. Mario, in particular. It doesn’t protect Nintendo against bumps, but it does protect them against failure.

Ogbert

Also, as an aside, the Wii U had some absolutely killer games.

They just made it sound like a sanitary product.

SteadyEvo

Talent is developed over time, not bought, earned. Talking to you MS.

And there’s nothing surprising about it. They consistently put out quality games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
These threads are getting out of control. While I do believe a bunch of stuff is going down next week, maybe we should just wait till then.....

This

People are acting like Microsoft are leaving the console business. That's not going to happen.

It'll just be a few games on Playstation and Switch. No big deal.

Next week a lot of crow is going to be eaten.

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe - they do have a bunch of stuff in development (hell) outside of those studios.

Sure......but is everything that was being developed for Xbox pre-Bethesda enough? That's ultimately the question. I don't know the answer myself.

Skelterz

Nintendo are to video games what Disney is to cinema, The reason my son loves Nintendo is because i did the cycle continues and it’s all built upon the IP the games.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Damn looking into it the Genesis/Mega Drive seem to have had 65% Market share in the US and Europe, damn I only knew 2 guys who had one, man I guess I played myself.
I guess cause they were so brief and never had any real success before or after market share wise they just kinda faded from memory

Shifty1897

If you lived in Europe I could maybe understand thinking Nintendo would lose to Sega back in the day, but how could you ever believe that in the US or Japan?

DonF

SOFTWARE IS IMPORTANT. It hurst my brain that CEO earning lots of money can't make that simple connection.

Nintendo, almost non existent online infrastructure, 3rd generation with crappy hardware, doing their own thing, almost no focus on GaaS and subscriptions, awfully japanese, console OS is barebones as fuck... trucking along just fine.

Nintendo almost NEVER chases trends. And look at them, doing fine.

Also, name of the console is important, Wii u was trash.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Rumors doesn’t mean Microsoft is doing a streaming idea, Xbox will be okay there’s an argument that the series x is built to last ten years they could pull the carpet out on Xbox game pass which is what I would recommend because with Xbox live they were on top of the world.

Hudo

Yeah that was always the Nintendo fanboys’ last line of defense. Nobody was buying their console and they were bleeding money, but hey, they had money in the bank! Wowee.
I mean, they're still alive and lead in total sales this gen. So clearly, their strategy is working.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If Microsoft says "we're not leaving the console space" and "Bethesda and Activision games will release on other hardware while Microsoft and Xbox Studios games remain timed exclusive on console" this will be an interesting week in hindsight.
If they say that, it'll be an incredibly ambivalent message, and will be received as such. Speculation will just continue.

Last edited:
Bruh Nintendo will outlast anyone and everyone when it's all said and done. 100 years from now Playstation may or may not be around idk, but I do know Nintendo will still be there with Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc.

And get routed in portable field, sony is also twice forced to bow and retire as well

Actually Sony made Nintendo kill their home consoles....

They used to sell 2 separate consoles, now it's combined in one....

A portable with an HDMI Out....

They had already killed the premium home console with the GameCube in the early 2000s, and then the Wii U fiasco ten years later

Last edited:

SHA

Gabe Newell is actually learning from Nintendo, you don't need grass shaped beard in Mario, games aren't realistic, it kills the fun, and other smoking weed stuff that doesn't take itself seriously.

Top Bottom