• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can’t believe Nintendo outlasted ANOTHER competitor in the console market

LakeOf9

I remember way back in the 1990s I was convinced Nintendo would eventually lose to sega. I also thought that the PlayStation would take them out like it eventually did sega. Once Microsoft entered the market it was convinced Nintendo was doomed.

But Nintendo has outlasted every single one of these lol. Atari, Sega, Microsoft, all came to the market, all left, all introduced all sorts of wild paradigms that were going to doom Nintendo, but Nintendo keeps trucking along. It’s been 40 years and they refuse to die, they’re like a cockroach

I just can’t believe they outlasted another competitor - especially when this competitor was a $3 trillion company. I guess we should never count them out. At this point I expect Nintendo and Sony to be the last ones standing in the market.

dottme

We don’t know for sure, but you can see Nintendo adapted themselves over time to find their sweet spot. MS is doing the same kind of games since the first Xbox.

DosGamer

Nintendo has so many established franchisees that they put out a new console and then slowly release or remaster the older games.. win... win... win .. win. ..

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s gonna be real funny when both sides look so freaking stupid next week. all this doom and gloom and celebration. 😂
the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Nintendo has so many established franchisees that they put out a new console and then slowly release or remaster the older games.. win... win... win .. win. ..
I don’t even know with Nintendo. I think a huge part of Switch’s success was in large part because 1) it had been long enough where gamers missed Nintendo and decided they wanted more and 2) they had a ton of great overlooked Wii U games to remaster.

We’ll see. Nintendo fans seem to have a short memory. There’s this attitude like “Nintendo just has to do their Nintendo thing and crank out their big established franchises, then their success is inevitable”. But go back 8-9 years ago and it was fucking dire.

Ogbert

Nintendo is just the passive passenger there though

Each time it's Sony that is forcing competitors to bow and retire
Except in Japan, where Nintendo have teabagged Sony into submission.

What is it with NeoGaf pretending that Nintendo isn’t in direct competition with Sony. The Switch has an outside shot of ending up as the most successful console of all time, but somehow that doesn’t count.

Ogbert

I don’t even know with Nintendo. I think a huge part of Switch’s success was in large part because 1) it had been long enough where gamers missed Nintendo and decided they wanted more and 2) they had a ton of great overlooked Wii U games to remaster.

We’ll see. Nintendo fans seem to have a short memory. There’s this attitude like “Nintendo just has to do their Nintendo thing and crank out their big established franchises, then their success is inevitable”. But go back 8-9 years ago and it was fucking dire.
8-9 years ago they were drowning in DS money.

I remember way back in the 1990s I was convinced Nintendo would eventually lose to sega. I also thought that the PlayStation would take them out like it eventually did sega. Once Microsoft entered the market it was convinced Nintendo was doomed.

But Nintendo has outlasted every single one of these lol. Atari, Sega, Microsoft, all came to the market, all left, all introduced all sorts of wild paradigms that were going to doom Nintendo, but Nintendo keeps trucking along. It’s been 40 years and they refuse to die, they’re like a cockroach

I just can’t believe they outlasted another competitor - especially when this competitor was a $3 trillion company. I guess we should never count them out. At this point I expect Nintendo and Sony to be the last ones standing in the market.
They are not gone mate, may as well delete this now otherwise it will bite you in the ass.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
To quote the great Perrin Kaplan from Nintendo marketing team.. "Nintendo will be the last one standing"

Last edited:

They lasted because when it was getting super competitive, Nintendo was like...

ross-pivot-friends.gif

And it 100% worked for them, I think they have done a phenomenal job and totally deserve where they have ended up!
(hopefully I don't get banned for using a Friends meme...that show does suck...)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
8-9 years ago they were drowning in DS money.
? 3DS by that time was out for several years and would end up selling about half what DS did. Wii U was selling at sub-GameCube levels despite having Zelda, 2D Mario, 3D Mario. Mario Kart, and Smash Bros.

See what I mean, ya’ll have a short memory

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Fucking dire? Not really.

Check this out for a completely not boring financial fact about Nintendo: Nintendo has £6.7 ($10.5) billion in the bank and, even if making big losses every year, that considerable nest egg would keep the company going until 2052. That's, like, 40 years away.

Here's the exact quote taken from a feature in the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine: "Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there's almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out - we're in the year 2075 by this point - they've got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business."

They print money. Except for that one year.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Just dropping this timeless quote:
Hiroshi Yamauchi said:
There are many people in the industry that know nothing about games. In particular, a large American company is trying to do engulf software houses with money, but I don't believe that will go well.

Have MS definitely bowed out ?
Sounds to me like they are doubling down. They've always said it's about selling games and not consoles. They are going to cash in with their gaming arsenal. Bowing out would eliminate probably 50k jobs and that would be unethical.

Last edited:

saintjules

Xbox is still present. I think you're reaching a bit here, OP.

Whats the point of a forum if not threads like this

People are jumping to conclusions and are speculating. OP is talking about how Nintendo has outlasted MS/Xbox when there's no confirmation on the future of the company.

Unless OP is from the future, this is a pretty wild accusation to make. Why not let MS/Phil Spencer say something before we make dozens of sub threads discussing the central topic?

There are like 3 other threads that could have been a megathread for the conversation to be placed. Sub topics like this shouldn't have their own thread. That's my opinion.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I guess we should never count them out.

I feel like I have been hearing "never underestimate Nintendo" for decades. Going all the way back to the book Game Over by David Sheff. More recently a Playstation exec said it (but remember folks, they aren't competing)

Go_Ly_Dow

Why is it a surprise? These companies live and die by the strength and appeal of their IPs.

Xbox's IPs have been in decline. Nintendo and Sony's on the rise.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Palworld is doing a great job of competing with Pokemon.
It’s definitely holding its own. What’s it up to now?

For comparison, here are what the last two Pokemon games sold:

Pokémon Sword/Shield: 26.17m (150k)
Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 24.36m (1.13m)

Emedan

During Genesis they were the top selling console in the US 3/4 years.

Perceived as having momentum like 360 against PS3. Both botched their next launches and lost that chance
Damn looking into it the Genesis/Mega Drive seem to have had 65% Market share in the US and Europe, damn I only knew 2 guys who had one, man I guess I played myself.

Ogbert

? 3DS by that time was out for several years and would end up selling about half what DS did. Wii U was selling at sub-GameCube levels despite having Zelda, 2D Mario, 3D Mario. Mario Kart, and Smash Bros.

See what I mean, ya’ll have a short memory
I can remember the Wii U.

The 3DS still sold 75 million.

How are those PSVR 2 sales coming along? Three figures yet? And any news on a native Sony handheld? Or have they been beaten out of that market?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah that was always the Nintendo fanboys’ last line of defense. Nobody was buying their console and they were bleeding money, but hey, they had money in the bank! Wowee.

Yeah, because that's important. They had a temporary downturn that didn't last very long, sandwiched between two incredible eras of profitability. Your characterization of Nintendo's circumstances might be more accurate if it had lasted longer than a couple of years.

FSoDQvSXsAE2usf

ByWatterson

Content is king. Even through the WiiU days, they kept a focus on innovation and quality. As more and more games get pumped out, true quality stands out more and more.

It's why Nintendo has endured and is excelling and why Sony seems unstoppable in the high-end console space.

Those two companies have attained (as Colin Moriarty puts it) a sort of Apple quality. The brand loyalty is so intense that it kinda doesn't matter what they do now. But what got them here is quality, and they know it.

Del_X

If Microsoft says "we're not leaving the console space" and "Bethesda and Activision games will release on other hardware while Microsoft and Xbox Studios games remain timed exclusive on console" this will be an interesting week in hindsight.

DosGamer

Yeah and the switch also became the indie machine. I mean when forums have a dedicated thread to weekly releases (most being indie games) it speaks volumes for how it made its money.

The continued prevalence of these threads and people sooo far off into space like much of this is a done deal shows what kind of wild narrative MS is allowing to take hold while they play D4 and ivory tower it. Such a strange choice...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xbox is still present. I think you're reaching a bit here, OP.

People are jumping to conclusions and are speculating. OP is talking about how Nintendo has outlasted MS/Xbox when there's no confirmation on the future of the company.

Unless OP is from the future, this is a pretty wild accusation to make. Why not let MS/Phil Spencer say something before we make dozens of sub threads discussing the central topic?

There are like 3 other threads that could have been a megathread for the conversation to be placed. Sub topics like this shouldn't have their own thread. That's my opinion.
Phil could come out today and make a statement if he wants. Of course people are going to speculate until then. The idea that videogame fans are not going to react to one of the main hardware makers potentially exiting the marketplace is really silly.

Top Bottom